Barkley Funds Question

Gary Lynn

Confused about dryer sheets
I just retired in April. Talking to an investor about moving my 401 from the company I worked for. He is talking about Barkley Trail Blazer 5 index fund.
Does anyone know anything about this find?

I just retired in April. Talking to an investor about moving my 401 from the company I worked for. He is talking about Barkley Trail Blazer 5 index fund.

This is probably a question for a separate thread. I don't know anything about the fund, never heard of it before now. Looks like a proprietary index fund maybe only used within an annuity. Only 4 yrs track record. I don't care for proprietary indices.

+1 Not much out there on it and it does seem to be designed for an annuity. I would avoid it.

A 0.85% expense ratio for performance that has been significantly worse than the S&P 500 index? Their 10-year average return is only about half that of the index, 5.44% vs 10.75%. No thank you! I'd dump that advisor, too. My Fidelity index fund, FXAIX, has an expense ratio of 0.01%.

Find a different advisor. This one is trying to feather his own nest with your money.

Edit: @Gary Lynn, please do a little reading. It will reduce your vulnerability to predators.

My favorite is this little book: "The Coffee House Investor" by Bill Schultheis https://www.coffeehouseinvestor.com/ Schultheis is very low key, to the point of giving you a recipe for pumpkin pie.

For a little meatier reading: "The Bogleheads Guide to Investing" by Taylor Larimore et al https://www.amazon.com/Bogleheads-Guide-Investing-Taylor-Larimore/dp/0470067365 and/or (online) https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started

The joke around here is that if you know enough to select a good advisor, you no longer need an advisor. True or not, you can decide, but you can't just blindly trust without significant risk to your financial health.

Last edited:
And hopefully it's Barclay's, not Barkley. No idea who or what the heck Barkley is.

And hopefully it's Barclay's, not Barkley. No idea who or what the heck Barkley is.
So far it looks like a post-and-run, since the OP hasn't been active since writing this post. But it's only been 2 days.

You'd think the OP was a shill for the company they'd have spelled it correctly.

So far it looks like a post-and-run, since the OP hasn't been active since writing this post. But it's only been 2 days.

You'd think the OP was a shill for the company they'd have spelled it correctly.

Yeah, and I'd also think a shill would not use their actual name, but I did assume the poster was legit.

There's a lot of fraud on the internet. Who'd have thunk it?
:D

I don't think accurate spelling of the fund name matters much anymore, as searches are very "fuzzy" and will get you there all the same.

The irony is that as more and more post responses of any kind accumulate, it raises the visibility of the investment.

There's a lot of fraud on the internet. Who'd have thunk it?

:D

I don't think accurate spelling of the fund name matters much anymore, as searches are very "fuzzy" and will get you there all the same.

The irony is that as more and more post responses of any kind accumulate, it raises the visibility of the investment.

I disagree. While spelling is not critical because a search engine will likely find the correct entity, there scam sites that take advantage of misspells and typos to redirect.

I disagree. While spelling is not critical because a search engine will likely find the correct entity, there scam sites that take advantage of misspells and typos to redirect.
But those sites do not appear in search results AFAIK and see. If they do for you then your web browser protection kicks in.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 14
Yeah we did that exercise in post #2 and commented. Now we’re just tryin to have a laugh.

Back
Top Bottom