Investment/savings book for a 19 year old

FREE866

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi guys-
not sure if this is the right forum, but I have a 19 year old niece that wants to learn how to save invest/value of money, etc

any really elementary ones you would suggest?

thank you!

Nothing wrong with the stock forum but this thread will get more views and responses in FIRE and Money so it’s been moved.

The Millionaire Next Door

I Will Teach You To Be Rich

Your Money or Your Life.

It really makes a person look at their relationship with time and money. It covers the very basic principles that one should understand.

I always liked If You Can by William Bernstein.
It's less than 20 pages and it's also my favorite price. More of a guideline on how to educate oneself and develop a bedrock from which to make wise financial decisions than anything else.

Here's a free copy.View attachment IfYouCan.pdf

Last edited:
Have you determined that a book is the best format for the 19 yr old to learn from? I think some other format (e.g. online) would be more effective for many 19 yr olds.

The classics: "The Wealthy Barber", "Your Money or Your Life", "The Millionaire Next Door".

I also liked Larry Swedroe's books on investing.

Your Money and Your Brain by Jason Zweig.

Checking any of these books from the library instead of buying them is a good start to showing they way.

Cheers!

I always liked If You Can by William Bernstein.
It's less than 20 pages and it's also my favorite price. More of a guideline on how to educate oneself and develop a bedrock from which to make wise financial decisions than anything else.

Here's a free copy.View attachment 36517

This is one of the best simple investing books with about 16 pages and
references to additional books.

VW

Before teaching about importance of savings, parents should make sure that their kid(s) know what it takes to earn the money.

While I agree with most of the book choices presented by our contributors, I think our own AtlasShrugged has presented a paper well worth any 19 year old's reading. While it doesn't have the detail nor the theory of the books, it really sets the right tone for a young person starting out. With any luck, it may create enough interest in a 19 year old to then read some of our book choices. As always, YMMV.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/short-money-rules-paper-106180.html

Back
Top Bottom