SS "account" question

bizlady

Full time employment: Posting here.
If you have access to your online SS account. does anyone know if that automatically closes if you die?

Yes, from my experience DW account was closed pretty quickly after her death - I guess it has something to do with the filing of the Death Certificate.

The funeral home indicated to me that they are responsible for notifying Social Security of a death. They did for my father and his monthly check stopped right away. We did nothing related to Social Security. Dad didn't have an online account, but I can't imagine it would have been a valid account any longer after they are notified of death.

If you have access to your online SS account. does anyone know if that automatically closes if you die?

It's not like you are going to use it after death.

I'm wondering, what purpose do you envision using it ?

I understand the use of a facebook/social media account, to let "friends" know about the death, etc... but I am clueless about why a SS account.

It's not like you are going to use it after death.

I'm wondering, what purpose do you envision using it ?

I understand the use of a facebook/social media account, to let "friends" know about the death, etc... but I am clueless about why a SS account.

It needs to be closed because you only rate your SS until the day you die. Not one additional day. If SS continues to be paid (direct deposit) for months/years after a person dies, all of that $ needs to be returned to SS.

It needs to be closed because you only rate your SS until the day you die. Not one additional day. If SS continues to be paid (direct deposit) for months/years after a person dies, all of that $ needs to be returned to SS.

IIRC SS pays a month late which give more time to contact them post death. Please respond if I'm incorrect on this as YMMV.

I think the OP has raised a good point about online accounts.

Think of bank accounts, there are around 7 yrs of statements accessible, if a bank closes that due to death, then those records are unavailable.
In the old days, everyone got paper mailed statements, so generally they were available post death.
The past records might be important should a financial error/question/etc arise from one of the heirs, or a creditor (like was the debt paid off).

Hopefully banks/stock brokerages/etc don't delete account access, as I could see the desire to look up old records.

I don't know if SS has some records as well.

Well, for one thing, if a spouse died you might want to look into survivor benefits. Maybe some of the information you need would be easier to get from the on-line SS account.

I assume you wouldn't want to use the account for fraudulent purposes. I've heard the SS Administration is pretty aggressive about that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom