Hot stock, sell some?

Brat

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I purchased shares of CS Friday. Price up 20% from where I bought it. Should hold or fold?

Likely whatever you will be the wrong thing. You might sell the 20%.

It ultimately has to be your choice (not a forum consensus) on what to do with a 20% profit...take it and run, or hope for more !

The only thing that keeps me from selling something is taxes.

Rarely sell. Mostly dumped dogs, then took the losses against capital gains distributions.

Did sell some MSFT one year to raise cash. Sent a percentage to IRS and state, and spent the rest.

So when do you ever sell? What is your criteria for selling?

Selling criteria:

If I purchased the investment as a long-term holding, I would not sell on a 20 percent gain.

If purchased as a trade I would sell if my objective was a 20 percent plus gain.

Otherwise I sell long-term holdings when I have a better use of the funds.

I purchased shares of CS Friday. Price up 20% from where I bought it. Should hold or fold?

You sure you typed the right symbol and the right date?

CS as in Credit Suisse? Or perhaps the OP meant CSIQ for Canadian Solar?

The latter did move up 20% from Friday 20 to Friday 27. Solar panel producers are going gang buster.

I could make a suggestion but I'm usually wrong 50% of the time.... :)

OOPS, typo, symbol QS. A new battery stock. It is in a Roth, no tax consequences if I sell it.

Last edited:
OOPS, typo, symbol QS. A new battery stock. It is in a Roth, no tax consequences if I sell it.

Sell, take your quick profits, be happy you were lucky. This is a bubble stock. It's a SPAC company (no regulatory vetting prior to going public), the company has no revenues (it's all R&D and expenses/losses at this time) - it's the epitome of the nonsense taking place on Wall Street these days. I'm going through the SEC filings, and trying to understand how many shares are outstanding to get a reading on the market cap.

Last edited:
Huge gamble. If you like gambling and can afford a near-100% loss, play on.

I'm going through the SEC filings, and trying to understand how many shares are outstanding to get a reading on the market cap.

Based on the company's recent analyst presentation it appears there are 447.6M shares, multiply by $37 and you get a market cap of about $16.5B - for a company with not one penny of sales and none expected until 2024.

Here is the link to the analyst presentation:

https://s26.q4cdn.com/263384136/files/doc_presentation/QuantumScape-Analyst-Presentation-Oct2020.pdf

Here's what I found. They (QS) got more funds to develop their solid state lithium battery tech:

QuantumScape Corporation ("QuantumScape"), a leader in the development of next generation solid-state lithium-metal batteries for use in electric vehicles, announced today that it has completed its business combination with Kensington Capital Acquisition Corp. ("Kensington") (NYSE: KCAC), a special purpose acquisition company. The Business Combination was approved by Kensington stockholders in a special meeting held on November 25, 2020. Beginning on November 27, 2020, QuantumScape shares will trade on the NYSE under the ticker symbol "QS" and its warrants will trade on the NYSE under the ticker symbol "QS.W".

Since the company was founded in 2010, QuantumScape has been exclusively focused on developing solid-state batteries and designing a scalable manufacturing process to commercialize its battery technology for the automotive industry. Through its elegant "anode-less" design, QuantumScape's solid-state lithium-metal batteries are designed to be safer, and to deliver greater range, faster charge times and improved cycle life, than today's conventional lithium-ion battery technology.

https://www.streetinsider.com/Corpo...r+"QS"+Beginning+On+November+27/17655112.html

Could be they are on to a improved battery technology. Lots of money bet.

Last edited:
Just from a quick search on the Web:

QuantumScape's solid-state lithium battery promises wonderful qualities beyond the current lithium batteries: about 2x the energy density, superfast charging time, greater life, less risk of fire.

The company has produced prototypes that impress VW, and Straubel (one of the original founders of Tesla, who left in 2019, and who should know about batteries) who are investors. Bill Gates also invested.

Buy, buy, buy... So many hot stocks, so little money... :)

Last edited:
It looks like there will be a race for a better battery for EV's. I suspect there are many other companies in the race, and some are not U.S. based.

QS is not the only company working on solid-state lithium battery.

See this article about Samsung's work on this technology: https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...lid-state-battery-technology-to-nature-energy.

It does not matter to me which company will succeed. We all win when they have this wonderful battery.

I understand we will all be winners. But it would be nice to pick the winners and make a few $$$ on their stock rise. But right now it's like betting horses at the race track.

I understand we will all be winners. But it would be nice to pick the winners and make a few $$$ on their stock rise. But right now it's like betting horses at the race track.

And there will be losers too among lithium cell makers, if their existing battery technology becomes obsolete.

When CFLs got into production, incandescent bulb makers got hurt. Then, LED lights made CFL makers close shop. There's little in common between the making of LED and other light bulbs. I wonder if there might be more commonality between solid-state lithium cells and traditional cells, such that equipment can be retrofitted.

And there will be losers too among lithium cell makers, if their existing battery technology becomes obsolete.

When CFLs got into production, incandescent bulb makers got hurt. Then, LED lights made CFL makers close shop. There's little in common between the making of LED and other light bulbs. I wonder if there might be more commonality between solid-state lithium cells and traditional cells, such that equipment can be retrofitted.

If you look at that pdf slide presentation posted above, you will see several slides down a picture or the proposed cell. It's a square, flat device that is pretty thin, not anything like the cylinder shaped lithium cells used today.

If you look at that pdf slide presentation posted above, you will see several slides down a picture or the proposed cell. It's a square, flat device that is pretty thin, not anything like the cylinder shaped lithium cells used today.

The pouch or prismatic cell format is currently used for cell phones, notebooks, and other electronic devices where a flat package is easier to integrate into the host enclosure. The cylindrical 18650 cell used to be industry-standard for laptops, but has been too big for today's thinner laptops.

Prismatic cells in larger format are also used in EVs. To my knowledge, only Tesla uses the cylindrical cell format.

Below is a pouch cell out of a Chevy Bolt.

Figure5.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom