72T vs Rule of 55

HenryD

Recycles dryer sheets
Not wishing to hijack today's other 72T thread I thought I should ask my own question.

I have a solo 401k and other accounts at Vanguard. The 401k is tied to a sole proprietor LLC that is my sole source of income. I will terminate the LLC in 2025 at age 57.

Since I'm effectively firing myself at 57, can I just use the rule of 55 on the 401k? Or do I need to do a 72T?

I'm asking the question now so that I have plenty of time to move/consolidate accounts or do something else to prepare in the meantime. I do plan to build up some cash outside the retirement accounts, but I am not sure it will be enough to sustain us for two years - would it be better to just try harder to achieve that?

Not wishing to hijack today's other 72T thread I thought I should ask my own question.

I have a solo 401k and other accounts at Vanguard. The 401k is tied to a sole proprietor LLC that is my sole source of income. I will terminate the LLC in 2025 at age 57.

Since I'm effectively firing myself at 57, can I just use the rule of 55 on the 401k? Or do I need to do a 72T?

I'm asking the question now so that I have plenty of time to move/consolidate accounts or do something else to prepare in the meantime. I do plan to build up some cash outside the retirement accounts, but I am not sure it will be enough to sustain us for two years - would it be better to just try harder to achieve that?

You can use the Rule of 55 on a solo 401k. You don't have to fire yourself. The Rule of 55 applies even if you quit your job voluntarily. :)

Vanguard actually doesn't care what you use the money for. You can withdraw it at any time, and they will send you a 1099-R, which you are responsible for reporting on your taxes. In the case of a Rule of 55 distribution, you should file Form 5329 and enter the code for an early distribution not subject to the 10% penalty.

You can use the Rule of 55 on a solo 401k. You don't have to fire yourself. The Rule of 55 applies even if you quit your job voluntarily. :)

Vanguard actually doesn't care what you use the money for. You can withdraw it at any time, and they will send you a 1099-R, which you are responsible for reporting on your taxes. In the case of a Rule of 55 distribution, you should file Form 5329 and enter the code for an early distribution not subject to the 10% penalty.

Thanks much!

Back
Top Bottom