Has anyone here participated the IRS "FreeFile" Program?

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This year we will have a simple tax return, no small business Schedule C or other additional filing forms.

We simply have Interest (CUs call it Dividend, but it is simply interest on CDs) and an ACA subsidy form.

We were wondering if we can we use Free File for 2020? (I think the answer is yes as long as income is below ~$69k)

Last edited:
Yes, you can use Free File. There's some variation between the providers as to income levels and which forms are provided, but I think all of them will have the forms you need for your return.

I've used OLT for the last 5 years and have been pleased, both FED and State returns free for qualified income.

Yes, it's amazing how many people don't take advantage of this program. True, it's not aimed that the high-net-worth folks who seem to be the majority now on this forum, but for anyone who is eligible it's a no-brainer.

Thanks for all the great info. I think I may use it this year. I am just a bit concerned about doing it all online and putting my info "Out there". I will most likely use Intuit's versions as I am sure it would be based on TurboTax.

Is there a downloadable version?

Thanks for all the great info. I think I may use it this year. I am just a bit concerned about doing it all online and putting my info "Out there". I will most likely use Intuit's versions as I am sure it would be based on TurboTax.

Personally, I’d get the cheapest commercial version I could rather than go with the free version for exactly the concern you raised above. I wouldn’t want my data only on line. Of course, as time moves forward, the likelihood that all of our data isn’t already out there is getting less and less.

I doubt there would be a downloadable version of a free software but I don’t have 1st hand knowledge.

Been using OLT for the last few years so haven't checked but as I recall all the freefile vendors were online only.

If you file electronically, isn't your tax information "out there" anyway? You file via the company that provided your tax software, not directly to the IRS as far as I know.

There is no downloadable version of the free file software from Intuit. Yes, it's based on TurboTax Online.

You can download your finished return in a PDF.

As for the concern about having your info "out there", keep in mind that even if you file on paper, the very first thing the IRS does is enter the numbers into an e-file. There's been plenty of news this week about suspected Russian hackers hitting many U.S. agencies, including Treasury, of which the IRS is a part; so your tax data may have already been compromised along with everyone else's.

Usually use Turbotax, but too cheap last year, did old fashioned paper via USPS mail. Trying H&R Block this year.

It seems like Turbo Tax has a Free e-file on their web site too. I did not sign in or click further than the opening screen, so it appears one can go directly through them.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/free-edition.jsp

I would only go through the links on the IRS page. The Turbo Tax "free edition" on its web site is not the same as the IRS free file (https://youtu.be/7xQQkzWhMOc?t=284). You hit paywalls for almost every normal scenario. By the way, I believe the income limit for Turbo Tax (and FreeTaxUSA) are significantly less than the other participants in the IRS free file program.

Yep I've used TT free online for the past few years but the AGI limits are very low, think it was $33k last year. You do get all the forms if you qualify and it's easy to use.

Credit Karma still has free tax filing for all (for now), they've been bought by Intuit so expect this to get shut down.

If you have $1mil or more assets at Fidelity you're supposed to be able to get TT Premier for free, might have to call them if the link isn't in your portal.

Last edited:
I found FreeTaxUSA many years ago through the IRS Free File website. I've used it for many years and been very satisfied.

They already have the 2020 tax filing available if you want to prefill your information. I do this early every year. Just be aware that the Premium Tax Credit reconciliation (8962 I think) can be filled out but so far, it's not computing correctly so don't gasp at that number. As we get closer to the date to really file all that will get straightened out.

Right now you can see a summary, later the summary is a .pdf of the 1040 forms.

Back
Top Bottom