Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   How are you celebrating NYE? (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/how-are-you-celebrating-nye-107164.html)

FFC1964 12-31-2020 06:56 AM

How are you celebrating NYE?

DH and I are having a quiet NYE by ourselves by a fire by a lake with our sweet dog. Thinking I might research a good travel movie and purchase a nice bottle of champagne. Pondering on dinner menu....

Music Lover 12-31-2020 07:18 AM

This is my first NYE at home in several years as one of my bands usually has a gig. I'm glad to not be playing this year as I've always thought it a little unfair to the bandmate's spouses. Although they come to the gig and it's a freebie for them, they don't get to choose where to go and we'll be on stage and unable to dance or socialize with them for most of the night.

Tonight we're having slow baked ribs and homemade French fries. Then we'll watch a movie and the odds are that we both could be asleep before midnight.

Aerides 12-31-2020 07:40 AM

Get out early to shop for that bottle! I'm sure there is a run on that this year. I had a hard time getting most of what I wanted yesterday, but I did go a bit fancy.

For years now we've gone to the fondue place, Melting Pot. They do a pretty good NYE including open bar and champagne, and a nice dinner spread, private booth, + we uber and it's close. We go early, fully enjoy ourselves, home around 9, haven't seen midnight in years.

So this year...doing our own spread. We're doing one of DH's faves, seafood on ice, (lobster tail, stonecrab claws, clams, shrimp) as a way-too-big-appetizer. Then I'm cooking an almost-chateaubriand (the cut is from the regular part of the tenderloin): https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...ubriand-241304

I'm prepping a lasagna for tomorrow as it's good hangover food!

mystang52 12-31-2020 07:56 AM

DW and I are major party animals. Despite COVID, we plan to celebrate the same way we have in the last 20 years or so: DW will be in bed and asleep by 10PM, and I'll watch Twilight Zone reruns and go to bed at 12:01AM.

pb4uski 12-31-2020 07:57 AM

We are going to a friend's house.... 8 of us in total that are in our "pod" of people that we know are careful with respect to CV. While I am typically up until midnight I doubt that we'll stay until midnight... DW usually goes to be about 10 pm and I'm sure that she will not last until the New Year. I'll probably have to wake her up to get my New Year's kiss.

audreyh1 12-31-2020 08:05 AM

Oops - forgot to chill the bubbly! Oh well - we have other wine to drink.

Quiet, at home. Usual bedtime, but I’m sure the development across the street will have loud fireworks well past midnight as usual.

I am making Penang Curry with duck and eggplant for lunch. I usually have no more than a snack for an early evening meal.

jfn111 12-31-2020 08:09 AM

We are having Ribeye steaks, Lobster tail and some home made Baileys. The bars and restaurants are all closed around here so no carnage on the roads anticipated.

RunningBum 12-31-2020 08:21 AM

GF and I had been making plans to go out for dinner, but thought better of it and instead we'll have a nice crab legs dinner here and snuggle by the fire.

cathy63 12-31-2020 08:28 AM

We have a happy hour family zoom call on Thursdays. Tonight we're all doing champagne or fancy cocktails and appetizers. After that it will be an ordinary dinner and evening for us. The fireworks at the beach were canceled, so I think it will be pretty quiet around here this year.

Midpack 12-31-2020 08:48 AM

Early dinner out at nice lakeside restaurant that has outdoor seating. That’s as brave as we’re willing to get this year, next year will be better. We’ll be asleep when the ball drops.

For NY day we’re putting together a nice charcuterie plate with some champagne at home.

braumeister 12-31-2020 08:50 AM

One of my very favorite dinners: osso buco over spätzle. I was always a decent cook but this year I've really upped my game. Nothing fancy but my experiments are turning out far better than they ever have before. We'll probably stay up until midnight (in Newfoundland).

Ronstar 12-31-2020 08:54 AM

Picking up an uncooked Big Lou pizza from Lou Malnatti’s on the way home from the dr. Then eat it later with a few beers while watching tv with DW.

LOL! 12-31-2020 08:56 AM

Going to bed early. I hope it will be raining hard in order to deter the gunshots and fireworks.

jollystomper 12-31-2020 09:17 AM

Probably get takeout somewhere close, play some games, and watch TV.

If if were a little warmer and dry I'd be tempted to set off some fireworks in the backyard, but a chilly rain is forecast. I am sure the weather not stop a few other folks in our neighborhood :).

It will be the first New Years Eve we can remember that it is just the two of us. It has always been parties, social gatherings, Times Square, local outdoor events. Not that we mind the change of pace.

Accidental Retiree 12-31-2020 09:25 AM

We will be home with the dogs, some champagne, and the brisket DH will be putting on the Traeger later today.

And giving hearty thanks that we decided to stay home and not drive back to Texas, where we’d have gone right into and stayed over night in the big Van Horn, Texas, snowstorm.

Late night walkies would have been unpleasant.

Van Horn isn’t fun in the best of weather.

RetireAge50 12-31-2020 09:39 AM

Thai Food, Poker, and Assorted Beverages with 8 family members. Happy New Year!

FFC1964 12-31-2020 09:43 AM

I think I need to up my cooking game.....

Happy New Years to all!

Dash man 12-31-2020 10:03 AM

I’ll be in bed by 10:00pm. DW will stay up until 12:01. We’ll have a toast before I go to bed, probably when it turns midnight in London.

LRDave 12-31-2020 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronstar (Post 2536143)
Picking up an uncooked Big Lou pizza from Lou Malnatti’s on the way home from the dr. Then eat it later with a few beers while watching tv with DW.

mmmmm...... Lou Malnatti's........our favorite chicago-style pizza. Enjoy!

steelyman 12-31-2020 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash man (Post 2536193)
I’ll be in bed by 10:00pm. DW will stay up until 12:01. We’ll have a toast before I go to bed, probably when it turns midnight in London.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Why stay up alllll the way to the end of this ridiculous year? Begone! Get a good night’s sleep in and be well-rested for a fresh start.

Nemo2 12-31-2020 10:36 AM

Hanging around waiting for the annual 'ghost of Jacob Marley' visit - he's been delayed this year due to travel restrictions.

Foodwise, I made a big batch of chili the other day, and (in)appropriately enough we'll have that with some Chileno wine.

audreyh1 12-31-2020 10:45 AM

I’m sure my Amsterdam relatives will call at midnight their time. :) Unfortunately for them fireworks are banned in Amsterdam due to the pandemic lockdown. :( Residents usually go crazy with fireworks there on New Years Eve.

O2Bfree 12-31-2020 10:46 AM

We'll walk over to neighbor's house for a few early drinks, socially distanced. She's a healthcare worker, has had the first C19 vaccine, but is still being pretty careful. Nothing big planned for dinner yet, and we'll probably be in bed around 10. Then awake at 12 as this place usually sounds like a war zone on NYE, as there are lots of illegal fireworks available at nearby Indian reservations. If I'm feeling up to it, I'll get up and watch the show at reservation across the water. We could also see the one at the marina in town, but it's been cancelled this year.

pacergal 12-31-2020 11:12 AM

Usually in bed by 10 or so, wake up to neighborhood noise, then back to sleep.
Planning our usual "hor d'oeuvres" type meal, lots of fun, little, delicious snacks.

DGS is here and intrigued with the thought of being able to go outside and make as much loud noise as he wants, he won't make it until midnight, but who cares? He can bang the pots at 9!!

Gumby 12-31-2020 11:20 AM

We'll do the same as we have for the last 30 years or so. A nice dinner - rack of lamb with goat cheese mashed potatoes, asparagus, freshly baked sourdough bread and a nice bottle of Bordeaux, followed by our annual Scrabble game. Probably in bed before midnight. Tomorrow, I'll get up and bake cranberry scones and make walnut honey butter, the young wife will make smoked chicken and butternut squash hash with poached eggs, and we'll have all that for brunch, with orange juice and a bottle of Veuve Clicqout.

Out-to-Lunch 12-31-2020 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacergal (Post 2536228)
DGS is here and intrigued with the thought of being able to go outside and make as much loud noise as he wants, he won't make it until midnight, but who cares? He can bang the pots at 9!!

I can still remember the thrill of that!

Gumby 12-31-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch (Post 2536235)
I can still remember the thrill of that!

When the young wife was a girl, they would go outside and shoot the shotgun at midnight. At my house, we banged pots and pans.

aaronc879 12-31-2020 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOL! (Post 2536144)
Going to bed early. I hope it will be raining hard in order to deter the gunshots and fireworks.

^^This^^

I have been in bed before 11PM for the last several NYEs. I just hope I don't get woken up by the fireworks that are always overdone by private citizens around here. They are illegal but it's never enforced. No public displays this year so the private displays will probably be worse than ever. Earplugs won't be enough but I hope to get a little sleep at least.

Marita40 12-31-2020 11:41 AM

Restaurants aren't open, and take out is getting...old. I will drink a libation while watching Twilight Zone and go to bed early with a good book in hand. Here's to 2021!

RunningBum 12-31-2020 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 2536236)
At my house, we banged pots and pans.

I did that one night to try to scare off a bear that had pulled open a window on my garage that I'd left open a crack for air. A few days later I wondered why a pot was so wobbly on the stove. Then I remembered what I had done. Pots were probably more durable back then, and I was hitting them together pretty damn hard!

W2R 12-31-2020 11:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We plan to stay home, safe from the crazy insane drunk drivers. I expect that will be worse this year than ever before! New Orleans has a tendency to go overboard with celebrations so the roads will probably be littered with automobile accidents.

We don't drink so there will be no need to stock up on booze. I'll stay up until way past midnight since my usual bedtime is around 3 AM. I might watch the fireworks on TV, or on the internet. I'll listen to F tell me that nothing is going to change and how bleak the country's future is, and even though I know he's always right, I'll be happy anyway. To me, the end of 2020 seems like a terrific excuse to be happy. We're gonna tie up 2020 and put a bow on it! ;D :dance:

CoolRich59 12-31-2020 12:34 PM

I'll be doing what I have traditionally done: stay home, have a nice fire, watch a movie, and, if I'm still awake at midnight, give the DW a kiss.

I actually started doing this back in college. I liked to have a good time as much as anyone, but it seemed that on New Years Eve people would go overboard and it wasn't fun to watch.

So, I decided to take a different approach. I had my girlfriend (now DW) over. We made a pizza, and watched an old movie. It was a very pleasant evening. (It also had the added bonus of enabling me to watch football on New Years Day without a hangover. ;D)

gayl 12-31-2020 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hoping for dry weather for a hike. Otherwise just bowl games Attachment 37205

frayne 12-31-2020 12:38 PM

I may actually shower in-between football games.

CoolRich59 12-31-2020 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronstar (Post 2536143)
Picking up an uncooked Big Lou pizza from Lou Malnatti’s on the way home from the dr.

For the win! :dance:

It has been ages since we've had Lou Malnati's. I think we will do the same tonight. My mouth is watering already.

RunningBum 12-31-2020 12:58 PM

Oh, we're also going to go skiing. It may rain, but that's our thing. We've been out in some pretty bad conditions and stayed out since we were having a good time together, so maybe we should be dating. 2020 hasn't been all bad! Besides, it's so close even if we make just a run or two it's no big loss.

flintnational 12-31-2020 01:37 PM

Staying in. Just the two of us.

Champagne
Caesar salad
King Crab w Drawn Butter
Asparagus w Hollandaise
Berries w Whipped Cream

Ole Red 29 12-31-2020 01:56 PM

DW and I hanging with 3 other couples in the neighborhood at one of their houses. Potluck dinner with cocktails and Champaign at midnight. Not the safest approach covid wise but certainly not the worst.

Dawg52 12-31-2020 02:01 PM

Pizza and beer at home with the dog. The dog won't have beer tho.

Dtail 12-31-2020 02:03 PM

Eating some frozen stuff from Trader Joe's and just hanging at home.
Will have a drink at midnight in our lanai with temps at 68 degrees at that time.

tulak 12-31-2020 02:05 PM

How are you celebrating NYE?

A day in the mountains, maybe skiing. It started to rain, so I might pass. In the evening, we’ll have dinner - steak with salad - and then hang out at home. Should be a nice and relaxing way to start the new year.

Happy New Year!

ls99 12-31-2020 02:05 PM

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz.......

MBAustin 12-31-2020 02:06 PM

I was planning to go to our church's drive-in NYE "Good Riddance" service but it has been postponed until tomorrow evening due to really crappy (cold, wet) weather today.

Dinner will be lobster tails, risotto, and asparagus. Probably will play a game after dinner. Will pop a bottle of bubbly at some point, and I'll stay up watching the nothing-like-the-usual ball drop with Andy and Anderson on CNN - they are quite a hoot. Tomorrow will be hoppin' john (black-eyed peas and rice) for good luck - we certainly deserve a better 2021.

Calico 12-31-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gayl (Post 2536290)
Hoping for dry weather for a hike. Otherwise just bowl games Attachment 37205

What a good looking family and a happy little dog!

I'm curious - did you actually send out "good riddance 2020" cards to folks? If so, you are my hero! ;D

I've never been so glad to welcome a new year. :)

OldGuy 12-31-2020 02:48 PM

"New Year's Eve is amateur night."
"Nothing food happens after midnight."
Those words from more than one retired LEO acquaintance over the years.
There will be some hors d'oeurve during the evening, we may be still upright at midnight, and we know we'll be waiting for the SWFL fireworks to stop about 1:30 tomorrow morning.

6miths 12-31-2020 02:58 PM

Same as most years. Just chill in front of the fire and watch a hockey game. If it weren't for Covid would probably have been watching at a friend's place or having others here. World juniors is Canada-Finland and then US-Sweden. Both games deciding round robin group winners. We had our 3 days of white Christmas now back to green which isn't nearly as pretty.

Alan 12-31-2020 03:31 PM

I’ll be walking over to my son’s house in an hour’s time. He still likes to stay up for the New Year and I certainly don’t mind joining him. We’ll eat a few snacks, watch TV and have a drink or two to welcome in the new year. Tonight we will celebrate the recovery of my sister and her husband from Covid, and his new job which starts on Monday.

iloveyoga 12-31-2020 03:44 PM

DH and I have a nice bottle of champagne to share and fresh shrimp appetizer. Just spaghetti for dinner. DS is stopping by so that is a treat. Happy New Year!

CardsFan 12-31-2020 03:54 PM

We are having one couple over for dinner (who we have "podded" with for many months). I made lobster bisque, DW is making a lobster pie as I type.

A few scotches and glasses of wine and maybe we will make midnight.

foxfirev5 12-31-2020 04:45 PM

Looks like I'm spending it here. DW and I have been exposed to DS in retail, GK's in preschool and other essential workers in the family. Hopefully we'll survive and be here next year.

jcfradio 12-31-2020 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6miths (Post 2536387)
Same as most years. Just chill in front of the fire and watch a hockey game. If it weren't for Covid would probably have been watching at a friend's place or having others here. World juniors is Canada-Finland and then US-Sweden. Both games deciding round robin group winners. We had our 3 days of white Christmas now back to green which isn't nearly as pretty.

+1. Not as much fun as being there in person for the New Years Eve Junior hockey game, which I have been lucky enough to do several times, but in 2020, it will have to do.

BrianB 12-31-2020 05:40 PM

A couple that we are friends with & live just across the street are coming for dinner. They work at home and are very careful about CV, as we are. It will be just the four of us as Daughter is celebrating with her housemates.

Roasted chicken (spatchcocked), pan roasted vegetables & baby reds, and home made focaccia bread. They are bringing the desert so that will be a surprise.

BrianB

W2R 12-31-2020 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 2536261)
We plan to stay home, safe from the crazy insane drunk drivers. I expect that will be worse this year than ever before! New Orleans has a tendency to go overboard with celebrations so the roads will probably be littered with automobile accidents.

We don't drink so there will be no need to stock up on booze. I'll stay up until way past midnight since my usual bedtime is around 3 AM. I might watch the fireworks on TV, or on the internet. I'll listen to F tell me that nothing is going to change and how bleak the country's future is, and even though I know he's always right, I'll be happy anyway. To me, the end of 2020 seems like a terrific excuse to be happy. We're gonna tie up 2020 and put a bow on it! ;D :dance:

He's such a sweetie! He offered to go get a take-out dinner for us at a Cajun restaurant about 2 blocks away, and we will eat it over here.

It has been raining here all day. Totally miserable weather, but perhaps it is keeping the crazies off the roads.

brett 12-31-2020 06:40 PM

Drove to the foothills. Picked up some produce at the store.

Enjoying a glass of very nice Malbec and will most likely have another one or two.

Dinner tonight...probably a salad and some leftover homemade spaghetti. More plonk at dinner.

Coffee. A piece of dark chocolate. Watch something on the tube. In bed by 11 or 12.

Exciting, no?

I had thought about running away with the lady next door, making mad passionate love all night. Unfortunately my spouse is not particularly understanding and put the kibosh on that plan. Shame really. There is always next NYeve.

Souschef 12-31-2020 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2536218)
I’m sure my Amsterdam relatives will call at midnight their time. :) Unfortunately for them fireworks are banned in Amsterdam due to the pandemic lockdown. :( Residents usually go crazy with fireworks there on New Years Eve.

Absolutely! DW and I were in Linz, Austria NYE. They sell the skyrockets in the markets. It was fantastic. We were on the top deck of our river cruiser and looked at the fireworks all around us! It went on for a good hour.

rk911 12-31-2020 08:08 PM

we had pizza with BIL, neighbors dropped off cupcakes, we're streaming S2 of The Mandalaorian, we'll be up at least till midnight, watch the fireworks and then hit the sack. pretty much the same as every NYE. we don't drink alcohol and don't care to be around drunks.

Zona 12-31-2020 08:56 PM

Does posting here count as “celebrating”? [emoji23] We usually stay in to avoid driving on NYE. So tonight we opened a bottle of cava, watched a gorgeous sunset, and are now relaxing by the fire watching TV. May you all have a healthy and joyful 2021!

statsman 12-31-2020 09:02 PM

Nothing special for tonight. Dinner and then some homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Been inundated with fireworks in the adjoining neighborhoods for the last three hours with very few breaks, and it's only 9pm local here.

audreyh1 12-31-2020 09:04 PM

Well in the next development the fireworks have been going non-stop since about 5:45pm when it first started getting dark, and I expect they won’t stop until well after midnight.

ETA: approaching 10:00pm - a lot more fireworks and getting louder.

skipro33 12-31-2020 09:05 PM

Eating Black Eyed Peas and rice along with a dozen grapes at midnight. (It's a good luck thing)

The Peas porridge was hot but not 9 days old. Ha!

Paired well with a nice Chardonnay we were gifted at Christmas time.

irishgal 12-31-2020 09:50 PM

Just me and the three dogs, they are already asleep and likely I’ll follow. Pretty glamorous lol.

W2R 12-31-2020 10:10 PM

F is going to come over soon and bring some Cajun take-out he just got from a restaurant around the corner. Meanwhile I have been playing with my year end investment numbers, my "fun with Excel". Listening to fireworks from around the neighborhood.

Life is pretty good, and I don't want to wish any of it away but I'm so glad we are transitioning from 2020 to 2021. 2020 wasn't the worst year of my life, but there was room for improvement. :laugh: So bring it on, 2021!

daylatedollarshort 12-31-2020 10:39 PM

Staying home, watching The Mandalorian, and reminiscing of past New Year's. We usually go out to some kind of dance party or comedy show. A few years ago we saw Paula Poundstone. She was really hysterical. Maybe I will try to find her on a streaming comedy special to watch tonight.

But we're glad we've stayed healthy so far this year and overall can't complain. At least this will probably be our dog's best NYE ever since we will be home all night.

Out-to-Lunch 12-31-2020 10:49 PM

After a lovely dinner (at home)
and a movie (at home!)

I am damn well going to go out and bang pots and pans for the first time in a loooong time.

Good riddance, 2020!

rk911 12-31-2020 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort (Post 2536567)
Staying home, watching The Mandalorian...

we finished S2 a few moments ago. we thought it was much better than S1. hope you enjoyed it as well.

statsman 01-01-2021 12:36 AM

12:30am here in Central Texas, and we're still getting a flurry of fireworks. Just as I posted this, it went silent. Not sure how long the silence will last since the fireworks have been active in the adjoining neighborhoods since 6pm.

Got a feeling a lot of people tired of being locked down or restricted in their favorite activities for many months now decided to vent, especially the under-40 crowd.

daylatedollarshort 01-01-2021 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rk911 (Post 2536576)
we finished S2 a few moments ago. we thought it was much better than S1. hope you enjoyed it as well.

Yes, we have been enjoying it so far. We're still on season 1. I gave DH a Disney streaming subscription for Christmas and we started watching it Christmas Eve. I saved watching until Christmas so we'd have a little something special to stream for the holidays during the lockdown. Probably the best $7 I've spent all year.

Andre1969 01-01-2021 08:30 AM

I fell asleep early, on the couch, with the tv on. Housemate woke me up a bit before midnight. An old "Three's Company" rerun was on the tv. I was half asleep, so all I remember was it was a party, and Jack was running around knocking cake out of everyone's hands. And then Larry came in, and streaked across the room, but the "Netherlands" were obscured by a big banner that read "Congratulations!" or something like that.

We switched the station to watch the ball drop. Popped open some "sparkling wine" I think it's called (technically, isn't it only "champagne" if it comes from a certain valley in France?)

Then, my housemate went into his room, and chatted with his relatives on his tablet. I turned on TVLand and fell back asleep to "King of Queens".

Yep, good times! :p

audreyh1 01-01-2021 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2536535)
Well in the next development the fireworks have been going non-stop since about 5:45pm when it first started getting dark, and I expect they won’t stop until well after midnight.

ETA: approaching 10:00pm - a lot more fireworks and getting louder.

My god, the fireworks didn’t end until 2am or so. Definitely gun rounds going off late. I think the whole city was setting stuff off. Standing on the back patio last night you could hear lots of distant noise as well as the closer stuff. It really sounded like a war zone outside!

I did manage to get to sleep, just occasionally hearing it while sleeping.

Venturer 01-01-2021 09:07 AM

We "celebrated" by watching some shows we had recorded until around 1145 then turned over to NBC and watched the Ball drip! Our highlight was our DGD calling us to say "Happy new year Papa & Meema I made it to midnight" This was a big deal to her since her bedtime is 830 pm & her mother told her she would probably not stay awake even tho she was going to let her try. Then we went to bed also. happy New Year ER Forum people!

gamboolman 01-01-2021 09:52 AM

ms gamboolgal and I were/are at Coushatta Casino with friends playing the pokersszzzz and setting hundo's on fire in the Slots......Dinner at Steakhouse and then the New Years.
Casino was packed....much alcohol was consumed....
Fun times had by all.....
Not my chip stack but I did run good on the cards.....ha
https://i.imgur.com/fH2gjjim.png

Gumby 01-01-2021 10:14 AM

Well, the young wife trounced me in our annual Scrabble game. We turned in early and slept well. We've already made and consumed our traditional New Years Day brunch. As always, it was great. Having now had my half of a bottle of Veuve Clicqout, I feel a nap coming on.

audreyh1 01-01-2021 10:31 AM

Neighbor posted a video - maybe from midnight, and you see nonstop fireworks all across the city, as far as the eye can see, panning in every direction. Plus rapid gunfire too!