Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   How are you celebrating NYE? (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/how-are-you-celebrating-nye-107164.html)

tulak 12-31-2020 02:05 PM

How are you celebrating NYE?

A day in the mountains, maybe skiing. It started to rain, so I might pass. In the evening, we’ll have dinner - steak with salad - and then hang out at home. Should be a nice and relaxing way to start the new year.

Happy New Year!

ls99 12-31-2020 02:05 PM

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz.......

MBAustin 12-31-2020 02:06 PM

I was planning to go to our church's drive-in NYE "Good Riddance" service but it has been postponed until tomorrow evening due to really crappy (cold, wet) weather today.

Dinner will be lobster tails, risotto, and asparagus. Probably will play a game after dinner. Will pop a bottle of bubbly at some point, and I'll stay up watching the nothing-like-the-usual ball drop with Andy and Anderson on CNN - they are quite a hoot. Tomorrow will be hoppin' john (black-eyed peas and rice) for good luck - we certainly deserve a better 2021.

Calico 12-31-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gayl (Post 2536290)
Hoping for dry weather for a hike. Otherwise just bowl games Attachment 37205

What a good looking family and a happy little dog!

I'm curious - did you actually send out "good riddance 2020" cards to folks? If so, you are my hero! ;D

I've never been so glad to welcome a new year. :)

OldGuy 12-31-2020 02:48 PM

"New Year's Eve is amateur night."
"Nothing food happens after midnight."
Those words from more than one retired LEO acquaintance over the years.
There will be some hors d'oeurve during the evening, we may be still upright at midnight, and we know we'll be waiting for the SWFL fireworks to stop about 1:30 tomorrow morning.

6miths 12-31-2020 02:58 PM

Same as most years. Just chill in front of the fire and watch a hockey game. If it weren't for Covid would probably have been watching at a friend's place or having others here. World juniors is Canada-Finland and then US-Sweden. Both games deciding round robin group winners. We had our 3 days of white Christmas now back to green which isn't nearly as pretty.

Alan 12-31-2020 03:31 PM

I’ll be walking over to my son’s house in an hour’s time. He still likes to stay up for the New Year and I certainly don’t mind joining him. We’ll eat a few snacks, watch TV and have a drink or two to welcome in the new year. Tonight we will celebrate the recovery of my sister and her husband from Covid, and his new job which starts on Monday.

iloveyoga 12-31-2020 03:44 PM

DH and I have a nice bottle of champagne to share and fresh shrimp appetizer. Just spaghetti for dinner. DS is stopping by so that is a treat. Happy New Year!

CardsFan 12-31-2020 03:54 PM

We are having one couple over for dinner (who we have "podded" with for many months). I made lobster bisque, DW is making a lobster pie as I type.

A few scotches and glasses of wine and maybe we will make midnight.

foxfirev5 12-31-2020 04:45 PM

Looks like I'm spending it here. DW and I have been exposed to DS in retail, GK's in preschool and other essential workers in the family. Hopefully we'll survive and be here next year.

jcfradio 12-31-2020 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6miths (Post 2536387)
Same as most years. Just chill in front of the fire and watch a hockey game. If it weren't for Covid would probably have been watching at a friend's place or having others here. World juniors is Canada-Finland and then US-Sweden. Both games deciding round robin group winners. We had our 3 days of white Christmas now back to green which isn't nearly as pretty.

+1. Not as much fun as being there in person for the New Years Eve Junior hockey game, which I have been lucky enough to do several times, but in 2020, it will have to do.

BrianB 12-31-2020 05:40 PM

A couple that we are friends with & live just across the street are coming for dinner. They work at home and are very careful about CV, as we are. It will be just the four of us as Daughter is celebrating with her housemates.

Roasted chicken (spatchcocked), pan roasted vegetables & baby reds, and home made focaccia bread. They are bringing the desert so that will be a surprise.

BrianB

W2R 12-31-2020 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 2536261)
We plan to stay home, safe from the crazy insane drunk drivers. I expect that will be worse this year than ever before! New Orleans has a tendency to go overboard with celebrations so the roads will probably be littered with automobile accidents.

We don't drink so there will be no need to stock up on booze. I'll stay up until way past midnight since my usual bedtime is around 3 AM. I might watch the fireworks on TV, or on the internet. I'll listen to F tell me that nothing is going to change and how bleak the country's future is, and even though I know he's always right, I'll be happy anyway. To me, the end of 2020 seems like a terrific excuse to be happy. We're gonna tie up 2020 and put a bow on it! ;D :dance:

He's such a sweetie! He offered to go get a take-out dinner for us at a Cajun restaurant about 2 blocks away, and we will eat it over here.

It has been raining here all day. Totally miserable weather, but perhaps it is keeping the crazies off the roads.

brett 12-31-2020 06:40 PM

Drove to the foothills. Picked up some produce at the store.

Enjoying a glass of very nice Malbec and will most likely have another one or two.

Dinner tonight...probably a salad and some leftover homemade spaghetti. More plonk at dinner.

Coffee. A piece of dark chocolate. Watch something on the tube. In bed by 11 or 12.

Exciting, no?

I had thought about running away with the lady next door, making mad passionate love all night. Unfortunately my spouse is not particularly understanding and put the kibosh on that plan. Shame really. There is always next NYeve.

Souschef 12-31-2020 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2536218)
I’m sure my Amsterdam relatives will call at midnight their time. :) Unfortunately for them fireworks are banned in Amsterdam due to the pandemic lockdown. :( Residents usually go crazy with fireworks there on New Years Eve.

Absolutely! DW and I were in Linz, Austria NYE. They sell the skyrockets in the markets. It was fantastic. We were on the top deck of our river cruiser and looked at the fireworks all around us! It went on for a good hour.

rk911 12-31-2020 08:08 PM

we had pizza with BIL, neighbors dropped off cupcakes, we're streaming S2 of The Mandalaorian, we'll be up at least till midnight, watch the fireworks and then hit the sack. pretty much the same as every NYE. we don't drink alcohol and don't care to be around drunks.

Zona 12-31-2020 08:56 PM

Does posting here count as “celebrating”? [emoji23] We usually stay in to avoid driving on NYE. So tonight we opened a bottle of cava, watched a gorgeous sunset, and are now relaxing by the fire watching TV. May you all have a healthy and joyful 2021!

statsman 12-31-2020 09:02 PM

Nothing special for tonight. Dinner and then some homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Been inundated with fireworks in the adjoining neighborhoods for the last three hours with very few breaks, and it's only 9pm local here.

audreyh1 12-31-2020 09:04 PM

Well in the next development the fireworks have been going non-stop since about 5:45pm when it first started getting dark, and I expect they won’t stop until well after midnight.

ETA: approaching 10:00pm - a lot more fireworks and getting louder.

skipro33 12-31-2020 09:05 PM

Eating Black Eyed Peas and rice along with a dozen grapes at midnight. (It's a good luck thing)

The Peas porridge was hot but not 9 days old. Ha!

Paired well with a nice Chardonnay we were gifted at Christmas time.