Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   What did you do today? - 2021 version (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/what-did-you-do-today-2021-version-107181.html)

Gumby 01-01-2021 06:58 AM

What did you do today? - 2021 version

As the New Year dawns clear and sunny, so does a new thread. Here's the link to the 2020 WDYDT thread. https://www.early-retirement.org/for...on-101453.html

Venturer 01-01-2021 09:10 AM

Reading on ER forum!

MarieIG 01-01-2021 10:28 AM

Sent in the request to roll over the remainder of my 401(k) - which is all pre-tax money at this point - to Vanguard.

The account will not be closed - yet - but the managment fees, which are prorata based upon the value of the account are high - so this saves significant money in fees.

Walt34 01-01-2021 02:08 PM

Wrote a letter to the cc company contesting a charge from Amazon for an undelivered order. It was ordered December 6, the charge was made on December 7, supposed to be delivered on December 10. About a week later they finally admitted the package "may have been lost" when I checked online about it. I finally contacted Amazon on December 19 and they replied three days later that they wouldn't even begin a package trace for another 21 days.

Concerned that the 60-day "window" to contest the charge would expire before they finally admitted that USPS lost the package and issue the refund/credit, I wrote the letter today and will mail it tomorrow, January 2nd. Christmas season and pandemic notwithstanding I think they've had more than enough time to either find it or do the refund. And yes, I know that contesting the charge can be done by phone or online, but those methods don't preserve my rights. An old-fashioned hard-copy letter does.

pacergal 01-01-2021 03:06 PM

Year end financial stuff--gathering tax info, checking 2020 spending analysis, checking 2020 investments.
And time here. :-)

doneat54 01-01-2021 05:57 PM

Slept late (10:00), got up had coffee. Made a Kielbasa, onion, tomato and goat cheese omelette for DW and I. She made blood orange mimosas to celebrate the new year. We had almost 3 each while playing dominoes and we killed the bottle. I lost at dominoes and thusly, have to do all the dishes tomorrow, and until I win again. Then I took a nap. Then put ice spikes on my boots and did a 1.8 mile hike at the state park with one of our dogs. Came back, packed up and drove the hour and 5 mins back to our primary home. Heated up some left over seafood Alfredo takeout, started undecorating the house from Christmas in advance of watching the Clemson Ohio State game (I'm a Clemson alum).

rk911 01-01-2021 06:32 PM

slept late, made oatmeal and biscuits fir b'fast, watched an NCIS marathon, snacked and napped. perfect day.

latexman 01-01-2021 07:54 PM

Watching a Twilight Zone marathon.

Having ham, greens, black eyed peas, cornbread, and buttermilk for dinner.

NW-Bound 01-01-2021 11:18 PM

Went to a Chevrolet dealer to buy a new Equinox. Why the Equinox? It's not fancy, but flat-towable to serve as the new dinghy for my motorhome.

tutan 01-02-2021 11:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Went to the beach to start the year.

pacergal 01-02-2021 12:51 PM

Slept in this morning until 9:00am!! Have not done that in years.
Plan for today is to take down the Christmas decorations.

street 01-02-2021 01:28 PM

The kids came for the day and went skating on the crick and took a nice walk in the prairie. Had a nice lunch and had fun with future grand daughter. A great way to start the new year.

street 01-02-2021 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2537272)
Went to a Chevrolet dealer to buy a new Equinox. Why the Equinox? It's not fancy, but flat-towable to serve as the new dinghy for my motorhome.

Sounds exciting to have a new ride! If I may ask did you get one with the option of All Wheel Drive? If so do they stay in all wheel drive all the time or do you choice the mode you want?

Gas or Diesel?

gayl 01-02-2021 03:09 PM

I'm trying to use up all the raw veggies in the fridge. Just made the trefungi sauce for tomorrow's gnocchi (mushrooms needed to go today). Will roast up the other Tofurkey later with the 2 half onions (red & Vidalias), 3 types of potatoes (why do I have 3 kinds?), yams, carrots, ... it's holiday leftover time. Use today or toss tomorrow.

Planned on walking to the library to get the books on hold but it's raining so we cannot walk.

Ah well, there's always a game on [emoji1658]

Nemo2 01-02-2021 03:15 PM

Shredding. Shredding. And more Shredding. Stuff that's been piling up for eons just awaiting this day.

It's like Hitler's bunker in the movie Downfall around here.

4legsgood 01-02-2021 03:33 PM

I went early to the local mall to toss a tennis ball for the dog in the empty asphalt parking lot to trim his nails. Works like a charm!

mitchjav 01-02-2021 03:43 PM

Paid DD's tuition for Spring Semester

Gumby 01-02-2021 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemo2 (Post 2537572)
Shredding. Shredding. And more Shredding. Stuff that's been piling up for eons just awaiting this day.

It's like Hitler's bunker in the movie Downfall around here.

Who gets the screaming role?

REWahoo 01-02-2021 05:15 PM

Played with Tested and evaluated my new portable inverter generator. Very quiet, compact, reasonably lightweight (100lbs) and with enough juice to power the RV, including one A/C unit.

finnski1 01-02-2021 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2537272)

I'm guessing you had a good reason to wait to after the end of the year for the purchase? I know if you bought on the last day of the year you can very often get some very good discounts as they try to reach some magical quotas.:)