Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   The Photographers' Corner - 2021 to ? (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/the-photographers-corner-2021-to-107182.html)

stepford 11-06-2021 06:43 PM

Toolman I'm curious about your focus stacked images. Did you use a focus rail to get image components at a specific spacing and use stacking software to combine them? Can you do this with live critters? When I was doing a lot of macro I did this more haphazardly (grab a bunch of different handheld images before the critter moves and just combine the sharp bits by hand in photoshop). I suspect my way took longer and I'm certain that your results look better. Well done.

TOOLMAN 11-06-2021 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by stepford (Post 2686068)
Toolman I'm curious about your focus stacked images. Did you use a focus rail to get image components at a specific spacing and use stacking software to combine them? Can you do this with live critters? When I was doing a lot of macro I did this more haphazardly (grab a bunch of different handheld images before the critter moves and just combine the sharp bits by hand in photoshop). I suspect my way took longer and I'm certain that your results look better. Well done.

I got interested in this about 5 years ago when extreme macro was just starting. I started out with a manual focus rail then bought an automated focus stacking rail. This is a good place to start. learning Extreme Macro Photography

99% of the time the subject must be dead, or not moving. Here is a live example of some aphids. Where there is a blur, they moved.

Often I take 100 -200 shots then combine them with software to make a single image. I use Helicon Focus to combine all the images into one.

At higher magnifications you advance the camera about 0.003 inches. At higher magnification everything gets more important; lighting, vibration, exposure etc.

TOOLMAN 11-06-2021 09:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some more examples of my extreme macro pic

f35phixer 11-07-2021 05:07 AM

Very cool , so many questions…..

I’ll start with link, thanks.

Ronstar 11-07-2021 06:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the link and your help! I always wanted to do some macro photography -especially in bad weather.

I downloaded Helicon and ran a small test. I'm hooked. I probably won't be getting into insects, but small details of things. Mostly my woodworking projects.

Thanks again!

ETA - one thing I noticed - small specks of dust, etc really show up in macros

donheff 11-07-2021 06:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronstar (Post 2686133)
Thanks for the link and your help! I always wanted to do some macro photography -especially in bad weather.

I downloaded Helicon and ran a small test. I'm hooked. I probably won't be getting into insects, but small details of things. Mostly my woodworking projects.

Thanks again!

I never heard of this before. Very cool. Twenty years ago I used open source Astro Stack software to combine multiple images taken thru my homemade telescope. It sounds like a similar process but focused on improving definition rather than depth of field.

f35phixer 11-07-2021 07:53 AM

Still one lone Osprey, guessing a loner never saw two at same time.
https://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/seas...y-about/26299/

Just watched this about Osprey migration, very good !!!
amazing the number of nest platforms they put into marsh area !

Haven't seen eagles lately ;-(

Saw Red-Bellied woodpecker, digging hole into telephone pole, i said dude, no bugs in there ;-)

Ronstar 11-07-2021 07:58 AM

^ My Nikon has a focus shifting option that automates a series of photos with a slight focus shift between each photo. Can take 100’s of photos with 1 click. It doesn’t automatically combine them though. I suppose many cameras have this option now.

It looks like it starts the series at the focus that the user sets, then increments a series of shots until focused at infinity or reaches the number of requested shots. The user enters a factor by which to increment.

TOOLMAN 11-07-2021 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronstar (Post 2686133)

Thanks again!

ETA - one thing I noticed - small specks of dust, etc really show up in macros

Nice results.

I am self taught. I have had hours of fun playing around with macro. Extreme macro photography is not new, it dates to the early days of photography.

Wilson Alwyn Bentley (February 9, 1865 – December 23, 1931)

I find Helicon to be the best. Helicon gave me a lifetime subscription as I have made some presentations at universities on extreme macro.

TOOLMAN 11-07-2021 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronstar (Post 2686163)
^ My Nikon has a focus shifting option that automates a series of photos with a slight focus shift between each photo. Can take 100’s of photos with 1 click. It doesn’t automatically combine them though. I suppose many cameras have this option now.

It looks like it starts the series at the focus that the user sets, then increments a series of shots until focused at infinity or reaches the number of requested shots. The user enters a factor by which to increment.

It's becoming more and more common. Focus stacking is often used for landscape photography for unlimited DOF. No more checking the Hyper Focal Distance.

I used a mirrorless Olympus as I don't wear out the shutter. It has focus stacking software built in but you are limited to 1X macro. If you want higher magnification than 1X you normally must use a focus rail. There is a Nikon focus stacking adaptors, however.

I use the MJKZZ focusing rail.

TOOLMAN 11-07-2021 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donheff (Post 2686134)
I never heard of this before. Very cool. Twenty years ago I used open source Astro Stack software to combine multiple images taken thru my homemade telescope. It sounds like a similar process but focused on improving definition rather than depth of field.

Nice pic.

It's the same basic idea, but with extreme macro you don't use a dark frames as part of the stack.

I have used star stacker software with my 600mm lens, but I don't have a motorized star tracker camera mount.

If your camera can map and remove hot pixels you should run that before you start an extreme macro shoot.

BubbaChris 11-07-2021 11:03 AM

TOOLMAN, is the beetle showing a partial reflection of your rig? Just curious.

Best regards,
Chris

TOOLMAN 11-07-2021 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaChris (Post 2686245)

Best regards,
Chris

Yes it's a reflection. Here is the same bug taken at 4X where there is no reflection. Sometimes it can't be avoided.

TOOLMAN 11-07-2021 12:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaChris (Post 2686245)

Best regards,
Chris

Some examples with reflections.

If there is a compound eye, you don't get as many reflections.

BubbaChris 11-07-2021 04:26 PM

TOOLMAN, thanks! I was more curious than anything else. You get to decide if reflections are okay or not.

I used to sell on eBay and for wristwatches and similar small items I'd see what I could avoid. There was a famous teapot photo where the photographers lack of attire was cause for suspect intentions.

Best regards,
Chris

TOOLMAN 11-07-2021 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaChris (Post 2686376)
TOOLMAN, thanks! I was more curious than anything else. You get to decide if reflections are okay or not.

I used to sell on eBay and for wristwatches and similar small items I'd see what I could avoid. There was a famous teapot photo where the photographers lack of attire was cause for suspect intentions.

Best regards,
Chris

Thanks

I also shoot wildlife, and sometimes people post close ups pics of animals “taken in the wild”, but some times the reflections in the eye shows a zoo shot instead.

AZflowers 11-07-2021 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi fellow photography lovers. What fine examples you're showing! I'd like to participate, if I can figure this out. (I'm learning Mac, my Windows recently died.)

Attachment 40843

Oh wow! It worked! The title should be "I have chickens"

MissMolly 11-07-2021 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZflowers (Post 2686406)
Hi fellow photography lovers. What fine examples you're showing! I'd like to participate, if I can figure this out. (I'm learning Mac, my Windows recently died.)

Attachment 40843

Oh wow! It worked! The title should be "I have chickens"

Great job! Nice shot.

braumeister 11-07-2021 05:57 PM

Beautiful hawk. One of my favorite birds.

AZflowers 11-07-2021 06:07 PM

Many thanks. I've been a lurker these many years because I really can't respond to most of the topics -- I didn't retire early, and financially I'm hanging on by the skin of my teeth. But I do love reviewing photos others have taken. So I'll try to be a good participant.