Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Golf Talk Tuesdays - 2021 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/golf-talk-tuesdays-2021-a-107183.html)

Gumby 01-01-2021 07:09 AM

Golf Talk Tuesdays - 2021

We're starting new threads for our longer running threads, so that they will load faster on phones. Here is the 2015 to 2020 Golf Talk Tuesdays - https://www.early-retirement.org/for...0-a-78866.html

Same rules still apply.

pb4uski 01-01-2021 08:50 AM

Rules? What rules?

Gumby 01-01-2021 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb4uski (Post 2536662)
Rules? What rules?

No kicking the ball back on the fairway to improve your lie.

Midpack 01-01-2021 09:03 AM

Why close it after only 5+ years and 2436 posts?

Just kidding, makes sense...

frayne 01-01-2021 11:57 AM

Our Monday group playing this Monday, mid 50s, sunny, little wind, all good except for hitting off of brown dormant grass, but who's complaining ! Wishing everyone nothing but pars and birdies in 2021.

Midpack 01-01-2021 12:04 PM

DW gave me a $241 gift card to my regular golf course for our anniversary this morning. I finally have her trained... :nonono: who am I kidding?

Huston55 01-02-2021 12:20 PM

So, after 8 wks of no golf, and not much else, the knee draining & cortisone shot worked miracles. I've been able to take some nice (flat) walks up to 7 miles without any pain in the "good" knee (the one that got the cortisone shot); of course, the "bad" knee still hurts all the time but, I can manage that.

Anyway, my plan was to confirm I could manage a decently long walk...CHECK! Then to see how my swing was on the range...NO CHECK! :facepalm: I seemed to have contracted that most dreaded of all golf diseases, the one who's name must not be mentioned...the $h@nkS. ??? So, back to my instructor for a swing 'vaccine.'

Et Voilŗ! My swing is healthy again; well, as healthy as it's ever been. He had me: (1) concentrate on a complete follow through with my wrists, (2) an 'inside' loop with my swing (mental mostly to prevent coming over the top), and (3) move my back foot back a couple inches to allow me to get a bit more hip turn. I know that three swing thoughts sounds like a lot but, 45 mins of repetition got it ingrained fairly well. Now, we'll see how it works next week on the course. :popcorn:

bobbyr 01-02-2021 03:23 PM

out nov and dec with covid

ready to tee 'em up again...unfortunately, noah is building an arc here (and it's pretty cold)

can't wait to swing the sticks

Midpack 01-14-2021 02:19 PM

I’ve been walking using a push cart almost since Covid struck, and enjoyed it though my back starts to tighten up about around #16. Being old sucks.

Just ordered one of these, arrives next Tuesday, and I can’t wait. Buddy of mine has the exact same model, and I got to pick his brain and test drive it. An indulgence I guess, but I’d like to walk more/all time and it will be nice to just walk without carrying or pushing clubs for the first time in my life. Never really like riding carts, especially this time of year when most courses I play are cart path only. Somehow I always manage to land on the side away from the path... :blush:

If any of you have an electric cart, any pointers would be appreciated. I’ve already been warned it will probably tip over occasionally no matter how careful I am (ruts and holes I don’t see).

https://www.costco.com/mgi-zip-navig...100504700.html

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...g?v=1562907306

garyt 01-14-2021 02:31 PM

Nice! I've only seen two on the course in all my years golfing. With covid I have walked more while someone else drove the cart carrying my clubs. Amazing how much easier and enjoyable it is to walk without carrying or pushing clubs.

bobbyr 01-14-2021 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyt (Post 2543715)
...I have walked more while someone else drove the cart carrying my clubs.

that's my M.O. too. I have always done that with my sunday game...figured i would at least walk 5 miles and get health benefits in case I played really badly.

Midpack 01-14-2021 02:42 PM

Quote:

Nice! I've only seen two on the course in all my years golfing. With covid I have walked more while someone else drove the cart carrying my clubs. Amazing how much easier and enjoyable it is to walk without carrying or pushing clubs.

That would be awesome too, I donít have an arrangement like that.

zinger1457 01-14-2021 04:35 PM

I've played with a couple people that use electric carts, want to avoid going across steep side slopes or have your hands on it during those times to stop it from tipping over.

Huston55 01-15-2021 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midpack (Post 2543703)
Iíve been walking using a push cart almost since Covid struck, and enjoyed it though my back starts to tighten up about around #16. Being old sucks.

Just ordered one of these, arrives next Tuesday, and I canít wait. Buddy of mine has the exact same model, and I got to pick his brain and test drive it. An indulgence I guess, but Iíd like to walk more/all time and it will be nice to just walk without carrying or pushing clubs for the first time in my life. Never really like riding carts, especially this time of year when most courses I play are cart path only. Somehow I always manage to land on the side away from the path... :blush:

If any of you have an electric cart, any pointers would be appreciated. Iíve already been warned it will probably tip over occasionally no matter how careful I am (ruts and holes I donít see).

https://www.costco.com/mgi-zip-navig...100504700.html

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...g?v=1562907306

I got the same model about 9 mos ago and I love it! I think you will too. My tips:

- Practice on a flat paved or lawn area near home with & without remote before you take it on the course.
- It has a ďfourthĒ stabilizing wheel that extends out the back side to prevent overturning. Get familiar with deploying/stowing it, and definitely use it on the course.
-Even with the stabilizing wheel, try to go straight up steep hills instead of at an angle.
- Avoid driving into curbs at an angle. Itís hard on the front wheels.
-Secure your legs on your stand bag if you have them; it will keep your bag more secure on the cart.
-Pay attention around other golfers and their bags; Iíve been distracted & let my cart bump into a buddyís cart.
-Stow the battery immediately after your round so you donít misplace it.
-When youíre on the green & need only your putter, use the remote to send the cart to the next tee box. Thatís probably the most fun thing you can do with the cart!
-Lock the remote when you keep it with you after sending your cart to another location, to prevent accidentally deploying it. Mine once danced in circles on the edge of a deep bunker because I inadvertently pressed a button while bending down to read a putt.
-Give your cart a name; mine is ď3RPOĒ. Thereís a story...

Enjoy! 🏌️*♂️

Midpack 01-15-2021 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huston55 (Post 2543926)
I got the same model about 9 mos ago and I love it! I think you will too. My tips:

- Practice on a flat paved or lawn area near home with & without remote before you take it on the course.
- It has a “fourth” stabilizing wheel that extends out the back side to prevent overturning. Get familiar with deploying/stowing it, and definitely use it on the course.
-Even with the stabilizing wheel, try to go straight up steep hills instead of at an angle.
- Avoid driving into curbs at an angle. It’s hard on the front wheels.
-Secure your legs on your stand bag if you have them; it will keep your bag more secure on the cart.
-Pay attention around other golfers and their bags; I’ve been distracted & let my cart bump into a buddy’s cart.
-Stow the battery immediately after your round so you don’t misplace it.
-When you’re on the green & need only your putter, use the remote to send the cart to the next tee box. That’s probably the most fun thing you can do with the cart!
-Lock the remote when you keep it with you after sending your cart to another location, to prevent accidentally deploying it. Mine once danced in circles on the edge of a deep bunker because I inadvertently pressed a button while bending down to read a putt.
-Give your cart a name; mine is “3RPO”. There’s a story...

Enjoy! ��️*♂️

Thank you very much, hopefully your suggestions (some I hadn’t seen anywhere else) will delay my first wipe out. :blush:

zinger1457 01-15-2021 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huston55 (Post 2543926)
-Pay attention around other golfers and their bags;

+1 One of the golfers I played with had a really annoying habit of sending his cart down the fairway to his ball while others were getting ready to hit. Very distracting when you're getting ready to hit the ball and can see a cart moving in front of you.

pb4uski 01-18-2021 05:35 PM

And rude too.

Midpack 01-23-2021 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinger1457 (Post 2543998)
+1 One of the golfers I played with had a really annoying habit of sending his cart down the fairway to his ball while others were getting ready to hit. Very distracting when you're getting ready to hit the ball and can see a cart moving in front of you.

Just used mine first time yesterday, and I didn’t send it ahead or let it move while others were swinging. As it should be regardless.

I followed everything Huston55 suggested (thanks again), the one that surprised me most unexpectedly “Avoid driving into curbs at an angle. It’s hard on the front wheels.” I didn’t grasp that one, so I tried (twice) to go over a few curbs at near parallel (vs perpendicular) - BIG mistake! The cart tries to straddle the curb scraping the front wheels as it goes, I had no idea. I’ll never do that again...:blush: Thanks.

Otherwise I really enjoyed the electric “golf trolley.” I expected my buddies to kid me about it, “old man” stuff but they didn’t. Most asked how much it cost, where I bought it, and other questions as though they wanted to buy one too.

Started the round with a light jacket, played the back nine in a short sleeved polo. Why did I live in Chicago for 26 years? :facepalm:

frayne 01-23-2021 08:32 AM

Quote:

With covid I have walked more while someone else drove the cart carrying my clubs. Amazing how much easier and enjoyable it is to walk without carrying or pushing clubs.

Sounds like a pretty cool concept and you could trade off after nine holes if the walker gets tired or needs a change of pace.

pb4uski 01-23-2021 08:41 AM

If I'm not the golf cart driver I'll often grab my chipper and putter after hitting my approach shot and walk in from where I hit my approach rather than walk the entire hole.

garyt 01-23-2021 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frayne (Post 2548105)
Sounds like a pretty cool concept and you could trade off after nine holes if the walker gets tired or needs a change of pace.

Yep, did that too when the other guy wanted to get some steps in also. Also alternate every other hole. Whatever works.

Huston55 01-23-2021 12:10 PM

Spyglass Hill

2 Attachment(s)
Got to play Spyglass Hill for the first time and it was glorious; both the course and the weather! Went with a buddy and we played as a twosome, which was great. And, we decided to splurge and share a forecaddie, since it was our first time on the course. We are NCGA members and get a nice discount on the greens fee so, it wasn't too outrageously expensive.

jcretire77 01-23-2021 12:28 PM

I was able to play nine holes Tuesday. Cold, but sunny with no wind. I played okay, but I had one notable hole that would only happen on a frozen fairway. The ninth hole is downhill 338yd par 4. I typically have about 125 yards to go after the drive. Tuesday I hit it well, but it must have hit just the right rock hard ground. It took me awhile to find it because it was about 30 yards from the green. The gps said it was a 307 yd drive. It made me smile, if only I could really do that. I hit a nice second shot (8 iron bump and run) and even made the birdie putt. A nice way to end the round and be able to say that I played golf in January.

Midpack 01-23-2021 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcretire77 (Post 2548325)
I was able to play nine holes Tuesday. Cold, but sunny with no wind. I played okay, but I had one notable hole that would only happen on a frozen fairway. The ninth hole is downhill 338yd par 4. I typically have about 125 yards to go after the drive. Tuesday I hit it well, but it must have hit just the right rock hard ground. It took me awhile to find it because it was about 30 yards from the green. The gps said it was a 307 yd drive. It made me smile, if only I could really do that. I hit a nice second shot (8 iron bump and run) and even made the birdie putt. A nice way to end the round and be able to say that I played golf in January.

I hit a 303 yd drive last year, but same dis-qualifier. Par 4 343 yard dogleg left with cart path left. My drive must have landed on the path on the fly because I found it just short of the green...

pb4uski 01-23-2021 05:42 PM

I played with a couple guys that I didn't know last Monday. On the way to the first tee I asked them how far the hit their drives so I could recommend what tees we should play from.... they said 200 to 260 yards... I responded something like "Wow, that's quite a range!" and my BS meter went on red alert. I suggested that we play the senior tees "since you've never played the course before".

I had an ok day but they were all over the place. On the last part 5 I hit a good drive for me so I hit the button on my GPS... I was 10-20 yards beyond them but was only 210 from the tee. I don't think either of them exceeded 200 more than once all day.

garyt 02-13-2021 10:23 AM

Anybody here playing after hip replacement? How long after surgery were you able to play? I've seen elsewhere some guys were playing after 3 months.
My surgeon says I'm in danger of dislocation until 3 months are up and total and full healing can take 6 months to a year. I'm still following the protocols they put in after surgery, no crossing legs, no bending over 90*, etc.
I feel good, walking fine, stairs no problem, PT released me a few weeks ago saying I'm doing fine. However I do get some pain if I forget to move my feet and just pivot. Got a sharp pain yesterday doing this. Still a little sore today.
I don't feel like I could swing a club with any speed yet. We were planning on a golf trip in mid April which would be 4 months but don't want to book anything if I can't play. What's your experience?

Huston55 02-13-2021 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyt (Post 2560640)
Anybody here playing after hip replacement? How long after surgery were you able to play? I've seen elsewhere some guys were playing after 3 months.

I have a golf buddy who came back to the course after what seemed like well less than 3 mos. He told me that his surgeon used a new, less invasive technique which minimizes both tissue damage and recovery time. Don't know the specifics.

garyt 02-13-2021 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huston55 (Post 2560647)
I have a golf buddy who came back to the course after what seemed like well less than 3 mos. He told me that his surgeon used a new, less invasive technique which minimizes both tissue damage and recovery time. Don't know the specifics.

Yea, probably anterior approach. I had posterior.

Huston55 02-13-2021 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyt (Post 2560650)
Yea, probably anterior approach. I had posterior.

I can see how that would be a real PITA! :rofl:

Sorry, just couldn't help myself. :hide:

garyt 02-13-2021 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huston55 (Post 2560904)
I can see how that would be a real PITA! :rofl:

Sorry, just couldn't help myself. :hide:

That it was, that it was

zinger1457 02-16-2021 05:20 PM

Any golf club tinkerer's here? I tend to do most things myself like changing grips, adjusting lie/loft, adjusting length, checking swing weight, etc.

Been reading some of the discussions on the golfwrx forum about golf club MOI matching but haven't tried it. It's an alternate way, instead of using swing weight, to get your golf club set to match so that they all feel the same when swinging. Seems to be based on first selecting the club that's your favorite (consistent center hits) then adjusting the length increments by 3/8" based off of that club. So if your favorite club is a PW you would increase the length of your 9I to be 3/8" longer and use that same gap for the rest of the set, the standard gapping for most iron sets is 1/2". Many on the golfwrx forum swear by it, some fitting centers now use it when building a set for a customer. Anyone have any experience using this method?

frayne 02-16-2021 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinger1457 (Post 2562445)
Any golf club tinkerer's here? I tend to do most things myself like changing grips, adjusting lie/loft, adjusting length, checking swing weight, etc.

Been reading some of the discussions on the golfwrx forum about golf club MOI matching but haven't tried it. It's an alternate way, instead of using swing weight, to get your golf club set to match so that they all feel the same when swinging. Seems to be based on first selecting the club that's your favorite (consistent center hits) then adjusting the length increments by 3/8" based off of that club. So if your favorite club is a PW you would increase the length of your 9I to be 3/8" longer and use that same gap for the rest of the set, the standard gapping for most iron sets is 1/2". Many on the golfwrx forum swear by it, some fitting centers now use it when building a set for a customer. Anyone have any experience using this method?

My theory is that as I age and my body and flexibility changes, all I have to do is make minor adjustments in order to square the club face. There are already so many variables in golf, tinkering with my clubs would be the last thing I would have any desire to do but YMMV.

garyt 02-16-2021 07:24 PM

I used to build clubs all the time. It was fun then but just a chore now. I'll still swap shafts now and again but not too often.

Midpack 02-21-2021 08:52 AM

Tobacco Road Golf Club Sanford NC

I’ve played a few tour level “bucket list” golf courses, but Tobacco Road is the most unique, rustic and interesting course I’ve ever played - it’s fascinating. You’ve never seen another course like it. If the Pinehurst area is on your list of places to play I’d highly recommend Tobacco Road. It’s #52 on the Golf Digest Top 100 list of public courses if that matters. It’s a tough course, but you can score better than expected if you manage well, all 8 of us scored a little better than we expected. I’m a 12-15 HI player and expected to lose a bunch of balls, didn’t lose any - though there were some lost balls in our group!

If you like classic, traditional, formal, elite courses - you won’t find that at Tobacco Road, you might hate it. If you don’t like risk-reward challenges stay away. You have to think on almost every shot, but good shots are immensely satisfying, and waste areas-bunkers aren’t the end of the world - sometimes you can recover. If you like courses where you can always see everything in front of you and blast away, you won’t like Tobacco Road.

Greens, tees and fairways are top notch, but the rough is thick in places and there are waste bunkers/areas everywhere. The clubhouse is nice, but small and unpretentious (with quality merch) - unlike grand courses. The practice putting green is two tiers about 6 feet in elevation change, made us laugh. There’s no out of bounds, and no sand traps - but again there are waste areas everywhere so you’ll have sand shots, more than 20 feet below the green on #9 and #11! There are lots of blind shots and you can’t hit driver on every hole, so study the course carefully before you play or hire a walking caddie or forecaddie. We bought course guides, and used them a lot, mine was full of notes before I played. Some of the greens are reasonably forgiving but a couple are brutal with big elevation changes, and punishing false fronts on a few like #5 and #8. The #13 green is set in a punch bowl like I’ve never seen anywhere else with just a narrow path! Teeing off on #1 is intimidating, with a very narrow gap in front of you, though the fairway opens up nicely beyond - so not as tough as it looks. Only one water hole, the par 3 #14. #16 is scary looking, a blind tee shot and blind approach - but it’s a short hole so not hard if you’re accurate. I’d love to go on and on about each hole, but I’ll stop...

I can’t wait to play it again in a couple months when it greens up more (it was greener than I expected in Feb). The video below is very entertaining, but not work safe language.

https://tobaccoroadgolf.com

https://youtu.be/Ys7dQZUKKWE

aja8888 02-21-2021 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyt (Post 2560640)
My surgeon says I'm in danger of dislocation until 3 months are up and total and full healing can take 6 months to a year. I'm still following the protocols they put in after surgery, no crossing legs, no bending over 90*, etc.
I feel good, walking fine, stairs no problem, PT released me a few weeks ago saying I'm doing fine. However I do get some pain if I forget to move my feet and just pivot. Got a sharp pain yesterday doing this. Still a little sore today.
I don't feel like I could swing a club with any speed yet. We were planning on a golf trip in mid April which would be 4 months but don't want to book anything if I can't play. What's your experience?

I have had both hips replaced (12 years apart) and the most recent on 11/2/2019. Both were done using the anterior procedure. I started playing golf after the second one last September so I was well healed and 77 years old, BTW. I am playing at least as good as I played in my 50's again. Maybe it's the slower swing? ;D

I can't give you any advice about being able to play after 4 months of healing, but I was pretty much all healed and walking 10,000 steps per day after three months past surgery for sure. Good luck!

Huston55 02-21-2021 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midpack (Post 2565096)
Iíve played a few tour level ďbucket listĒ golf courses, but Tobacco Road is the most unique, rustic and interesting course Iíve ever played - itís fascinating.

Watched the video. All I can say is, "Holy Bunkers Batman!"

Doubt I'd score well on this course but, it would certainly be memorable.

garyt 02-21-2021 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2565121)
I have had both hips replaced (12 years apart) and the most recent on 11/2/2019. Both were done using the anterior procedure. I started playing golf after the second one last September so I was well healed and 77 years old, BTW. I am playing at least as good as I played in my 50's again. Maybe it's the slower swing? ;D

I can't give you any advice about being able to play after 4 months of healing, but I was pretty much all healed and walking 10,000 steps per day after three months past surgery for sure. Good luck!

Thanks, walking is no problem. The torque of a golf swing still seems to be a bit much yet, I'd say. Still a month to go, so we'll see,

garyt 02-21-2021 10:28 AM

I'd like to play Tobacco Road once. I don't like that type of course all the time but as a once off, why not? Sort of like Wolf Creek in Mesquite, it's more E ticket Disney ride then golf course but a lot of fun occasionally.

Midpack 02-21-2021 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huston55 (Post 2565132)
Watched the video. All I can say is, "Holy Bunkers Batman!"

Doubt I'd score well on this course but, it would certainly be memorable.

I was careful to avoid the deep waste bunkers. A few of my buddies did go in, one never even found the ball on #9 (2nd pic below) and dropped, took him two tries to get out. Another we couldn't see 20 feet below us on #11 (first pic below), but after a minute or two he came walking out with his ball in his hand, told us he made three tries and the ball rolled back to him three times - so he gave up and picked up his ball. There are railroad tie steps out of several of the waste areas or you'd need climbing gear to get out...

https://breakingeighty.com/wp-conten...le-11-Sand.jpg

https://www.kevinmurraygolfphotograp...b-1000x667.jpg
https://external-preview.redd.it/_fh...=webp&d75e9f54
https://external-preview.redd.it/_fh...=webp&d75e9f54

Jerry1 03-10-2021 03:15 PM

S.E. Michigan had a few nice days and I got out today for my first round of the year. Probably last round was in November. Shot a 96, which anything under 100 is good for me, so had a pretty good day. At my skill level, it was also good that I carded no snowmen. Then had lunch with my golf buddy. Pretty good day in retirement land!

frayne 03-10-2021 03:42 PM

I played Monday, shot a 39 on the front and a 47 on the back, a model of consistent inconsistency. Tee to green was decent but my putting on the last nine killed a good round, three double bogeys will do that. Playing a tough course tomorrow but the weather is going to be great, so no complaints here. Jonesing for a new driver that I really don't need but hey, you can't take it with you.

Midpack 03-10-2021 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frayne (Post 2574809)
I played Monday, shot a 39 on the front and a 47 on the back, a model of consistent inconsistency. Tee to green was decent but my putting on the last nine killed a good round, three double bogeys will do that. Playing a tough course tomorrow but the weather is going to be great, so no complaints here. Jonesing for a new driver that I really don't need but hey, you can't take it with you.

Welcome to the club. A week ago I had a round where I was 7-over thru #14, and 8-over on the last 4 holes, so 15 over total. This week I was 10 over the first 6 holes, 8 over the last 6 holes and 1 under on the middle six holes. Just call me Sybil...

pb4uski 03-10-2021 05:41 PM

The pros do it too. I follow Keegan Bradley on the PGA tour since he is a local guy. In last week's Arnold Palmer Invitational he shot 74 in the second round, 64 in the third and 78 in the final round.

Huston55 03-10-2021 10:21 PM

Tried to play yesterday (my normal Tuesday group) but, gave it up after 9. The wet & cold was unpleasant but, the standing water on parts of some greens was what convinced me to quit. As an aside (FOR MIDPACK), despite the pouring rain, my MGI Navigator performed well; no battery issues at all from the water.

So, since I've become a "California Weather Wimp", I'm heading to Palm Desert next week to play some "warm & dry" golf.

garyt 03-11-2021 06:25 AM

Played for the first time since hip replacement in December. All went well except my swing. But no hip pain was the main thing.

Midpack 03-11-2021 08:37 AM

I really didnít want to buy new clubs, but my wrists and left elbow seem to be telling me I should seriously consider graphite shaft irons. Itís reached the point Iím uneasy playing two days in a row, I need a recovery day between rounds. Sucks to get old...

Lots of peeps on golf forums claim graphite iron shafts made a huge difference reducing joint pain. And evidently graphite shafts have evolved to compete with steel across the entire flex/weight spectrum, so theyíre not just for really low swing speed players these days.

Iíll have to compare buying new with graphite shafts minus (current set) trade in - versus reshafting my current irons. I suspect the latter will be less expensive, trade-in values arenít great, and Iím not keen on selling them myself.

Dawg52 03-11-2021 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midpack (Post 2575138)

Iíll have to compare buying new with graphite shafts minus (current set) trade in - versus reshafting my current irons. I suspect the latter will be less expensive, trade-in values arenít great, and Iím not keen on selling them myself.

I've sold a few clubs on ebay. Everything I listed have sold. I don't do it that often tho.

Big_Hitter 03-11-2021 10:10 AM

Got in my first legit round at the club yesterday, made a few tweeters and finished up par, bird

zinger1457 03-11-2021 10:36 AM

Quote:

I really didnít want to buy new clubs, but my wrists and left elbow seem to be telling me I should seriously consider graphite shaft irons. Itís reached the point Iím uneasy playing two days in a row, I need a recovery day between rounds. Sucks to get old...

You can install dampening inserts in your irons to help reduce vibration, see link below. My Ping irons came with a dampening insert that seems to help although not sure if it's the same as shown in the link.
https://www.golfworks.com/prosoft-sh...erts/p/ps5000/

Midpack 03-11-2021 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinger1457 (Post 2575223)
You can install dampening inserts in your irons to help reduce vibration, see link below. My Ping irons came with a dampening insert that seems to help although not sure if it's the same as shown in the link.
https://www.golfworks.com/prosoft-sh...erts/p/ps5000/

Thank you. Iíve heard of Sensicore inserts. But what Iíve read on golf forums is that inserts arenít nearly as helpful re: joint issues as graphite shafts. I canít play without a compression band on my left forearm now, so I think I may need the maximum available remedy?

Midpack 03-11-2021 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg52 (Post 2575172)
I've sold a few clubs on ebay. Everything I listed have sold. I don't do it that often tho.

Thanks. I just sold two clubs and a shaft on eBay and I agree there’s no easier place to sell, the audience is HUGE. But I haven’t seen prices much better than trade in value on eBay especially after eBay and PayPal take their 14%...:(

Huston55 03-11-2021 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Hitter (Post 2575200)
Got in my first legit round at the club yesterday, made a few tweeters and finished up par, bird

Congrats! Nice to get out there eh?

jollystomper 03-11-2021 03:34 PM

Played my fourth round for the week today, first time in a long time I have been able to play multiple times in the week. A friend and I started early every morning around 7:45. We figured few folks wanted to start when the temps were in the 40s and we were right, although by today we were not the first ones out. The course has just finished aerating the greens, so putting is very interesting right now.

frayne 03-11-2021 03:35 PM

Quote:

Lots of peeps on golf forums claim graphite iron shafts made a huge difference reducing joint pain. And evidently graphite shafts have evolved to compete with steel across the entire flex/weight spectrum, so theyíre not just for really low swing speed players these days.

Being almost 70 years of age and having a fused L4,5,S-1 lower back, I'm a big proponent of graphite shafts.

Music Lover 03-29-2021 10:25 PM

First game of the year, early for here (Canadian prairies) but we had very little snow and a lot of warm days. No tee boxes, a bit of snow still in the trees and ice on the ponds. It's an executive course that has 16 par 3's and 2 par 4's. It was windy, 50k gusting to 70. Sloppy front but played the back 9 one over par.

Huston55 04-01-2021 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Music Lover (Post 2584224)
First game of the year, early for here (Canadian prairies) but we had very little snow and a lot of warm days. No tee boxes, a bit of snow still in the trees and ice on the ponds. It's an executive course that has 16 par 3's and 2 par 4's. It was windy, 50k gusting to 70. Sloppy front but played the back 9 one over par.

You make me feel like a fair weather golfer 🏌️*♂️ [emoji41]

Music Lover 04-01-2021 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huston55 (Post 2585362)
You make me feel like a fair weather golfer 🏌️*♂️ [emoji41]

I am a fair weather golfer. It was unseasonably warm...+19C.

The next day it was -12 with winds gusting to 78k :laugh:

Big_Hitter 04-01-2021 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huston55 (Post 2575318)
Congrats! Nice to get out there eh?

Yes, we finally have some decent golf weather.

Huston55 04-03-2021 10:04 PM

Headed to St. George, UT tomorrow for three days of golf, followed by two days of golf in LV. Playing with old work buddies. The weather should be great and 3 of the 5 courses will be new to me. :dance:

Midpack 04-04-2021 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huston55 (Post 2586759)
Headed to St. George, UT tomorrow for three days of golf, followed by two days of golf in LV. Playing with old work buddies. The weather should be great and 3 of the 5 courses will be new to me. :dance:

Sounds like a blast, have fun!!

garyt 04-04-2021 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huston55 (Post 2586759)

Sand Hollow?

garyt 04-04-2021 08:38 AM

Heading to Myrtle Beach next week. Any rec's? Courses, restaurants, things to do? Haven't been there in 20+ years.

Huston55 04-05-2021 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyt (Post 2586902)
Sand Hollow?

Yep, Sand Hollow, Sky Mountain & a relatively new course called Copper Rock.

Midpack 04-11-2021 11:43 AM

No Masters chatter here? The back nine on Sunday afternoon at Augusta is the best sporting event of the year to me, and many who play golf. There's no one atop the leaderboard that I wouldn't be happy to see win, should be another great day to watch the best in the world at the most prestigious event in golf...

Huston55 04-11-2021 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midpack (Post 2590460)
No Masters chatter here? The back nine on Sunday afternoon at Augusta is the best sporting event of the year to me, and many who play golf. There's no one atop the leaderboard that I wouldn't be happy to see win, should be another great day to watch the best in the world at the most prestigious event in golf...

Glued to the TV now. Rooting for Jordan but, it might be a bit too much to make up. Weíll see.

Jerry1 04-11-2021 01:20 PM

First day I’ve sat and watched. Really like how few fans are there. Makes it more open and seems more respectful.

Tiger8693 04-11-2021 01:38 PM

Was pulling for Spieth, but think he is out of it. Wouldn't mind to see Zalatoris make it interesting.

Music Lover 04-11-2021 01:41 PM

I just came inside from yard work...rain and heavy snow expected tonight and for the next couple days so we cleaned the garage and put a few things away.

But now relaxing in front of the TV to see how it plays out.

Dtail 04-11-2021 01:53 PM

Watching it now. No favorites for me near the top.

Midpack 04-11-2021 05:32 PM

I’ve seen Matsuyama light it up before without winning - good to see him get another win, at the best major to boot. They say Japan will go crazy, good for them. And it was nice to see him show some emotion, I’ve never seen that from him. Great for Zalatoris, a future star. Speith is finally back. I feel for Schauffele, that’s going to mess with his head for a while, but hopefully it makes him tougher next time.

As always, the Masters is a wonderful Sunday afternoon! Just hope I get to go in person at least one more time, been trying since 1989...

frayne 04-11-2021 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midpack (Post 2590572)
Iíve seen Matsuyama light it up before without winning - good to see him get another win, at the best major to boot. They say Japan will go crazy, good for them. And it was nice to see him show some emotion, Iíve never seen that from him. Great for Zalatoris, a future star. Speith is finally back. I feel for Schauffele, thatís going to mess with his head for a while, but hopefully it makes him tougher next time.

My sentiments exactly !

Jerry1 04-11-2021 06:49 PM

As announced by Midpack, the back 9 did not disappoint. Thanks for bringing it up. I had it on my radar, but I probably would have missed half of it. I had some chores to do, but hey, I’m retired. They can wait until tomorrow. I settled in around 2:30 and watch the entire round of the last group. Good tv watching day.

pb4uski 04-11-2021 07:08 PM

I think it got a little sloppy at the end... it just goes to show you the esteem that the best in the world hold for The Masters.

We had taped it and were behnd real time and the tape ran out just as Matsuyama was hitting the bunker shot on 18, but thankfully we tape 60 Minutes as well so we got to see the end.

Midpack 04-12-2021 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb4uski (Post 2590599)
I think it got a little sloppy at the end... it just goes to show you the esteem that the best in the world hold for The Masters.

Undoubtedly. I kept telling DW, ‘can you imagine what’s going on in your head down the stretch in contention for a Masters win?’ It has to make your head spin, it would be hard to focus at all.

In the Butlers cabin interview, Nantz asked Hideki if he was nervous on the back nine? Hideki said no, I was nervous from the first tee on, though it didn’t show.

And Amanda Balionis interviewed Schauffele right after his round and asked him about his #16 blowup (ouch). He handled it with pure class, and I believe him when he says he’ll learn and get over it, and be better for it next time. Xander is going to have a great career too.

Midpack 04-13-2021 05:54 PM

Amusing, timely...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6XF8st0NUY

Music Lover 04-14-2021 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midpack (Post 2591544)

I was going to post that but you beat me to it... :laugh:

Music Lover 04-23-2021 09:42 AM

3rd golf game of the year for me...a local easy course. Played well at first in strong winds (40 kph gusting to 50) but collapsed on the back 9. 38 on the front was followed by 3 pars but then made 2 doubles and a triple over the last 6 holes and finished with an 81.

Typical Canadian weather, was 20C and sunny yesterday, woke up to -4 this morning. :laugh:

Midpack 04-23-2021 11:17 AM

^^^ Sounds familiar. I’ve started out great (for me) and fizzled more often than not lately. And historically I’ve scored better on the back. Would be nice if I could figure out how to keep the mo’ going...5 of last 7 rounds

38-41-79

39-44-83

36-43-79

39-43-82

39-42-81

My last round Wed was 40-41-81 with a double bogey on #9 and #18. Stupid game... :blush:

frayne 04-23-2021 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midpack (Post 2596484)
^^^ Sounds familiar. I’ve started out great (for me) and fizzled more often than not lately. And historically I’ve scored better on the back. Would be nice if I could figure out how to keep the mo’ going...5 of last 7 rounds

38-41-79

39-44-83

36-43-79

39-43-82

39-42-81

My last round Wed was 40-41-81 with a double bogey on #9 and #18. Stupid game... :blush:

Those are pretty decent scores in my book. Shot an 82 on Monday and a 96 on Thursday. Same Indian and arrows, difference being a local well known muni and a tough newer and less played course, longer and narrower. Oh how I love this torture called golf !

Music Lover 04-23-2021 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midpack (Post 2596484)
^^^ Sounds familiar. Iíve started out great (for me) and fizzled more often than not lately. And historically Iíve scored better on the back. Would be nice if I could figure out how to keep the moí going...5 of last 7 rounds

38-41-79

39-44-83

36-43-79

39-43-82

39-42-81

I'm usually consistent front and back, this course is harder on the back but I also hit a couple bad shots at exactly the wrong time....and of course nothing is more fun than 3-putting after hitting a 3-iron to 4' >:( :laugh:

Midpack 04-23-2021 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frayne (Post 2596534)
Those are pretty decent scores in my book. Shot an 82 on Monday and a 96 on Thursday. Same Indian and arrows, difference being a local well known muni and a tough newer and less played course, longer and narrower. Oh how love this torture called golf !

Yes, those are better than average scores for me. But it’s silly to do well on the front nine and find a way to give away strokes on the back over and over. And FWIW I am playing well lately, and I have NO IDEA why...

Huston55 04-24-2021 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Music Lover (Post 2596538)
I'm usually consistent front and back, this course is harder on the back but I also hit a couple bad shots at exactly the wrong time....and of course nothing is more fun than 3-putting after hitting a 3-iron to 4' >:( :laugh:

Well, the secret is to not putt with your 3-iron 🤣

Do you really carry (and hit) a 3-iron? More power to you if you can. I went to hybrid longs irons quite a while ago.

Music Lover 04-24-2021 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huston55 (Post 2597202)
Well, the secret is to not putt with your 3-iron 🤣

Do you really carry (and hit) a 3-iron? More power to you if you can. I went to hybrid longs irons quite a while ago.

It was a hybrid, I mistyped.

garyt 04-25-2021 06:48 AM

Just got back from Myrtle Beach. The courses were packed. We played TPC Myrtle beach, World Tour Golf, King's North, Long Bay, Crow Creek, Brunswick Plantation, and the two Myrtlewood courses. Excellent conditions at all courses.

zinger1457 05-01-2021 10:12 AM

Anyone seeing changes/adjustments to your scores submitted into the handicap system due to unusual playing conditions? I remember reading when the new handicap system came out in 2020 that they would now adjust your score differential for a specific round if playing conditions that day were unusually difficult (windy, rain, cold) that resulted in higher than expected scores for that day. I've probably submitted close to 200 scores since then but don't recall seeing any changes until this week where they subtracted 2 strokes from the scoring differential for the round we played on Monday. It was windy but we have had many far worse days during that period. Not sure, maybe that part of the handicap changes are just starting to be implemented.

frayne 05-01-2021 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midpack (Post 2596596)
Yes, those are better than average scores for me. But itís silly to do well on the front nine and find a way to give away strokes on the back over and over. And FWIW I am playing well lately, and I have NO IDEA why...

Went back and played the course I shot a 96 on two weeks ago and carded an 83. Same Indian, same arrows, go figure !

Huston55 05-01-2021 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyt (Post 2597268)
Just got back from Myrtle Beach. The courses were packed. We played TPC Myrtle beach, World Tour Golf, King's North, Long Bay, Crow Creek, Brunswick Plantation, and the two Myrtlewood courses. Excellent conditions at all courses.

Where do you stay on Myrtle Beach golf trips?

Huston55 05-01-2021 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinger1457 (Post 2600662)
Anyone seeing changes/adjustments to your scores submitted into the handicap system due to unusual playing conditions? I remember reading when the new handicap system came out in 2020 that they would now adjust your score differential for a specific round if playing conditions that day were unusually difficult (windy, rain, cold) that resulted in higher than expected scores for that day. I've probably submitted close to 200 scores since then but don't recall seeing any changes until this week where they subtracted 2 strokes from the scoring differential for the round we played on Monday. It was windy but we have had many far worse days during that period. Not sure, maybe that part of the handicap changes are just starting to be implemented.

Iíve had this occur only twice since the new WHS started. Once a stroke was subtracted, the other time a stroke was added. I donít remember anything unusual about conditions for either round. However, remember that the WHS uses stats of all golfers posting that course that day to determine adjustments, and it can be course conditions, weather conditions or course set-up. So, any adjustment seems to be a calibration for that day based solely on what ALL golfers scored on that course that day.

zinger1457 05-01-2021 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huston55 (Post 2600824)
So, any adjustment seems to be a calibration for that day based solely on what ALL golfers scored on that course that day.

Yes, that is my understanding of how it works but not sure on the exact formula they use. From what I recall they limit adjustments to 1 stroke up and 3 strokes down.

Huston55 05-06-2021 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huston55 (Post 2600824)
Iíve had this occur only twice since the new WHS started. Once a stroke was subtracted, the other time a stroke was added. I donít remember anything unusual about conditions for either round. However, remember that the WHS uses stats of all golfers posting that course that day to determine adjustments, and it can be course conditions, weather conditions or course set-up. So, any adjustment seems to be a calibration for that day based solely on what ALL golfers scored on that course that day.

Adding further to my lack of understanding when (or not) score adjustments are made, I recently played a round @ Paiute Sun Mountain (Vegas) as they were setting up the course for a Korn Ferry event. The PGA was already at the course giving directions on setup when we played and, according to one of the marshals, they told the course Superintendent to "slow the greens down" (they were 13) because they planned to use more difficult pin placements for the tourney. I would have thought if ever there were conditions that caused a WHS scoring adjustment, that was it. But, there was no adjustment to my score. :crazy:

Huston55 05-06-2021 12:18 PM

A Quick 9

I've started playing (walking) a quick 9 off the back at my club. It's allowed w/o a tee time for ~90 mins after the first tee time off the front. I've found it to be glorious! Most times I play by myself, other times with another single, and finish in 80-90 mins and my play seems to be substantially (2-3 strokes/9) better. And, it's very meditative for me. All round (or 1/2 round :laugh:) it's just a wonderful experience.

Jerry1 05-14-2021 07:45 PM

Great day for me golfing. It’s still a long way from par, but I posted a 43 for nine in my league today. I’m pretty sure that is the best nine I’ve ever shot. Last week I shot a 53 on the front (today was the back), which the front is a bit harder, but it was a vast improvement on my game. I made a few bad hits but I also did well getting out of trouble and minimizing the damage. Given the remnants of COVID, most don’t stick around for a beer any more, so I picked up DW on the way to a new favorite bar with great burgers. That’s a good day right there.:dance:

frayne 05-16-2021 05:11 PM

Looking for recommendations on a new rangefinder with slope. My two year old el cheapo RF is slowly giving up the ghost and I'm getting ready to pull the trigger for a new one with slope. Any and all suggestions are appreciated in advance.

zinger1457 05-16-2021 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frayne (Post 2607703)
Looking for recommendations on a new rangefinder with slope. My two year old el cheapo RF is slowly giving up the ghost and I'm getting ready to pull the trigger for a new one with slope. Any and all suggestions are appreciated in advance.

Might fall in the 'el cheapo' category but picked up a Caddytek rangefinder with slope at Costco three years ago for ~$100 and it's held up well, works just as good as the Bushnell my partner uses at 3X the cost.

Huston55 05-17-2021 10:37 AM

Golf Club Membership

Don't think we've discussed whether we belong to a Golf Club or the Pros/Cons of Club Membership at length here. I currently play at a semi-private (mostly public traffic) course. I don't have a membership because I play there only twice a week and want the freedom to play the many other excellent courses in the SF Bay Area.

I thought about a Poll but, decided to just ask the questions here to keep it in this thread.

1. Do you have a Golf Club membership? Yes/No
2. What do you think the Pros/Cons of membership are?

My answers:

1. No
2. Pros-access, pace of play, course conditions. Cons-cost, repeatedly playing the same course

jcretire77 05-17-2021 10:46 AM

1) Yes
2) On line sign up seven days in advance, typically get the time that I want because I'm on line when it starts. Many times I play nine alone and fast. Taking about an hour.

Downside is that over the past year the number of rounds on the course has more then doubled. Membership is full. Tee sheets are full. So some of the benefits of belonging to a private club have lessened. There is a quarterly requirement for food purchase, but that is fine as I feel they have a very good restaurant. My DW takes tennis lessons here too and is on every 4.0 women's league. She has met many good friends.

zinger1457 05-17-2021 02:30 PM

Not a private club but I do buy an annual membership at a club, it's a very good deal, even if only playing twice a week it's a big savings. Live out in the sticks so our golfing choices are limited unless willing to drive a good distance. I do travel to Scottsdale/Palm Springs regularly for vacations to get my fix for some different and nicer courses. Not sure if it's a pro or con but with a membership I end up playing in weather conditions that I probably wouldn't if I had to drop cash for the round.

Midpack 05-17-2021 02:45 PM

No, but I’m on a waiting list at a local public/private I already play at 1-2 times/week. Membership is breakeven if I play about 1.5 times/week - and there are other perks, tee times, member only tournaments, 10% discounts on all food & merch. I wouldn’t want to restrict myself to playing one course exclusively…
…I’m part of a group of 8 that plays away every Wednesday. We have more than a dozen nice courses we play regularly and we try out new courses from time to time. We also play bucket list courses (mostly within driving distance) 2-3 times/year.

pb4uski 05-17-2021 02:57 PM

1) No. Was through 2018. Long story but club that was previously member owned was mismanaged and ended up selling to a private party. Conditions have decayed under a few years private ownership so I'm less keen on joining. For the amount that I play it isn't worth being a member but I still play there occasionally (probably 10-15 rounds a year) and just pay greens fees.

2) Pros are a familiarity with the owners and fellow members but I sort of have that having been a member for so many years. At our club, members have reciprocal privileges at area courses to play at discounted rates. Members get priority for tee times but not a problem. Eligible for member/member, member/guest and club championships but I never played those anyway. Con for me is mostly that I would end up playing more because I don't play enough vs just paying greens fees. I like the freedom to play different courses if I want to.

I typically play 18 on Tuesdays, 18 with a traveling group on Thursdays and occasionally a 9-hole scramble with a social group on Sunday afternoons. And occasionally on top of that with friends and relatives who are visiting.

jkern 05-23-2021 10:38 AM

1) No

2) Pros: Country club conditions and atmosphere. Camaraderie with a group of like minded individuals. Cons: Price and limited golf course variety.