Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Golf Talk Tuesdays - 2021 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/golf-talk-tuesdays-2021-a-107183.html)

frayne 03-10-2021 03:42 PM

I played Monday, shot a 39 on the front and a 47 on the back, a model of consistent inconsistency. Tee to green was decent but my putting on the last nine killed a good round, three double bogeys will do that. Playing a tough course tomorrow but the weather is going to be great, so no complaints here. Jonesing for a new driver that I really don't need but hey, you can't take it with you.

Midpack 03-10-2021 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frayne (Post 2574809)
I played Monday, shot a 39 on the front and a 47 on the back, a model of consistent inconsistency. Tee to green was decent but my putting on the last nine killed a good round, three double bogeys will do that. Playing a tough course tomorrow but the weather is going to be great, so no complaints here. Jonesing for a new driver that I really don't need but hey, you can't take it with you.

Welcome to the club. A week ago I had a round where I was 7-over thru #14, and 8-over on the last 4 holes, so 15 over total. This week I was 10 over the first 6 holes, 8 over the last 6 holes and 1 under on the middle six holes. Just call me Sybil...

pb4uski 03-10-2021 05:41 PM

The pros do it too. I follow Keegan Bradley on the PGA tour since he is a local guy. In last week's Arnold Palmer Invitational he shot 74 in the second round, 64 in the third and 78 in the final round.

Huston55 03-10-2021 10:21 PM

Tried to play yesterday (my normal Tuesday group) but, gave it up after 9. The wet & cold was unpleasant but, the standing water on parts of some greens was what convinced me to quit. As an aside (FOR MIDPACK), despite the pouring rain, my MGI Navigator performed well; no battery issues at all from the water.

So, since I've become a "California Weather Wimp", I'm heading to Palm Desert next week to play some "warm & dry" golf.

garyt 03-11-2021 06:25 AM

Played for the first time since hip replacement in December. All went well except my swing. But no hip pain was the main thing.

Midpack 03-11-2021 08:37 AM

I really didnít want to buy new clubs, but my wrists and left elbow seem to be telling me I should seriously consider graphite shaft irons. Itís reached the point Iím uneasy playing two days in a row, I need a recovery day between rounds. Sucks to get old...

Lots of peeps on golf forums claim graphite iron shafts made a huge difference reducing joint pain. And evidently graphite shafts have evolved to compete with steel across the entire flex/weight spectrum, so theyíre not just for really low swing speed players these days.

Iíll have to compare buying new with graphite shafts minus (current set) trade in - versus reshafting my current irons. I suspect the latter will be less expensive, trade-in values arenít great, and Iím not keen on selling them myself.

Dawg52 03-11-2021 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midpack (Post 2575138)

Iíll have to compare buying new with graphite shafts minus (current set) trade in - versus reshafting my current irons. I suspect the latter will be less expensive, trade-in values arenít great, and Iím not keen on selling them myself.

I've sold a few clubs on ebay. Everything I listed have sold. I don't do it that often tho.

Big_Hitter 03-11-2021 10:10 AM

Got in my first legit round at the club yesterday, made a few tweeters and finished up par, bird

zinger1457 03-11-2021 10:36 AM

Quote:

I really didnít want to buy new clubs, but my wrists and left elbow seem to be telling me I should seriously consider graphite shaft irons. Itís reached the point Iím uneasy playing two days in a row, I need a recovery day between rounds. Sucks to get old...

You can install dampening inserts in your irons to help reduce vibration, see link below. My Ping irons came with a dampening insert that seems to help although not sure if it's the same as shown in the link.
https://www.golfworks.com/prosoft-sh...erts/p/ps5000/

Midpack 03-11-2021 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinger1457 (Post 2575223)
You can install dampening inserts in your irons to help reduce vibration, see link below. My Ping irons came with a dampening insert that seems to help although not sure if it's the same as shown in the link.
https://www.golfworks.com/prosoft-sh...erts/p/ps5000/

Thank you. Iíve heard of Sensicore inserts. But what Iíve read on golf forums is that inserts arenít nearly as helpful re: joint issues as graphite shafts. I canít play without a compression band on my left forearm now, so I think I may need the maximum available remedy?

Midpack 03-11-2021 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg52 (Post 2575172)
I've sold a few clubs on ebay. Everything I listed have sold. I don't do it that often tho.

Thanks. I just sold two clubs and a shaft on eBay and I agree there’s no easier place to sell, the audience is HUGE. But I haven’t seen prices much better than trade in value on eBay especially after eBay and PayPal take their 14%...:(

Huston55 03-11-2021 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Hitter (Post 2575200)
Got in my first legit round at the club yesterday, made a few tweeters and finished up par, bird

Congrats! Nice to get out there eh?

jollystomper 03-11-2021 03:34 PM

Played my fourth round for the week today, first time in a long time I have been able to play multiple times in the week. A friend and I started early every morning around 7:45. We figured few folks wanted to start when the temps were in the 40s and we were right, although by today we were not the first ones out. The course has just finished aerating the greens, so putting is very interesting right now.

frayne 03-11-2021 03:35 PM

Quote:

Lots of peeps on golf forums claim graphite iron shafts made a huge difference reducing joint pain. And evidently graphite shafts have evolved to compete with steel across the entire flex/weight spectrum, so theyíre not just for really low swing speed players these days.

Being almost 70 years of age and having a fused L4,5,S-1 lower back, I'm a big proponent of graphite shafts.

Music Lover 03-29-2021 10:25 PM

First game of the year, early for here (Canadian prairies) but we had very little snow and a lot of warm days. No tee boxes, a bit of snow still in the trees and ice on the ponds. It's an executive course that has 16 par 3's and 2 par 4's. It was windy, 50k gusting to 70. Sloppy front but played the back 9 one over par.

Huston55 04-01-2021 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Music Lover (Post 2584224)
First game of the year, early for here (Canadian prairies) but we had very little snow and a lot of warm days. No tee boxes, a bit of snow still in the trees and ice on the ponds. It's an executive course that has 16 par 3's and 2 par 4's. It was windy, 50k gusting to 70. Sloppy front but played the back 9 one over par.

You make me feel like a fair weather golfer 🏌️*♂️ [emoji41]

Music Lover 04-01-2021 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huston55 (Post 2585362)
You make me feel like a fair weather golfer 🏌️*♂️ [emoji41]

I am a fair weather golfer. It was unseasonably warm...+19C.

The next day it was -12 with winds gusting to 78k :laugh:

Big_Hitter 04-01-2021 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huston55 (Post 2575318)
Congrats! Nice to get out there eh?

Yes, we finally have some decent golf weather.

Huston55 04-03-2021 10:04 PM

Headed to St. George, UT tomorrow for three days of golf, followed by two days of golf in LV. Playing with old work buddies. The weather should be great and 3 of the 5 courses will be new to me. :dance:

Midpack 04-04-2021 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huston55 (Post 2586759)
Headed to St. George, UT tomorrow for three days of golf, followed by two days of golf in LV. Playing with old work buddies. The weather should be great and 3 of the 5 courses will be new to me. :dance:

Sounds like a blast, have fun!!