Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Blow That Dough! -2021 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/blow-that-dough-2021-a-107327.html)

street 07-02-2021 09:16 PM

I posted here a few times about wanting to blow some dough on a piece homesteaded land. The guy texted me a little while ago and the deal will happen and he will call me after the fourth some time.
I'm very excited about this purchase and will keep me busy rebuilding and improving the land. It has some irrigated land also so that will be nice.
Can't wait to blow that dough.

Ronstar 07-02-2021 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by street (Post 2628273)
I posted here a few times about wanting to blow some dough on a piece homesteaded land. The guy texted me a little while ago and the deal will happen and he will call me after the fourth some time.
I'm very excited about this purchase and will keep me busy rebuilding and improving the land. It has some irrigated land also so that will be nice.
Can't wait to blow that dough.

Congrats! Keep us posted on your progress on the land.

RobbieB 07-02-2021 09:47 PM

Yeah! And pics too!

FlaGator 07-02-2021 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2624677)
To blow the dough, a shooter could do worse than with a Barrett 50-cal gun. Weight of 32 lbs, and length almost 5'. This is your dream gun.

The initial outlay is $10K, but after that each shot is only $3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolau (Post 2624840)
Everything I've seen or read about this weapon is that it is amazing - but not fun. Shooting one of these is brutal and a true assault on the body and the senses. Having said that, I'd like to try it once. YMMV

FWIW-the Barrett 50 isn't bad to shoot. Between the massive weight and muzzle device, I didn't find it uncomfortable. Loud and fiery for certain. Been beat up worse with an ill-fitting 12 gauge and lightweight .308s

street 07-03-2021 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2628284)
Yeah! And pics too!

Yep, I can do that. Just got the verbal, so will need to get the surveyor and lawyer started and I hope to get it done quick. The guy is a hermit and lives off grid at 8K on a mountain, so things can get interesting with communication reasons.

Koolau 07-03-2021 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2628074)
Well, yes. When you order expensive perishable items packed in coolers you had better plan to be home to receive them and store ASAP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivinsfan (Post 2628249)
Our UPS and Fedex come anytime between 8 and 6 PM...so that can take a whole day.:laugh:

Much easier when you are retired..

Heh, heh, just thinking: One of the reasons I FIRE'd was so I wouldn't have to BE anyplace at any time. Also, being FIRE'd means NOT needing to wait on partners, stake-holders, peers, suppliers, direct-reports, bosses, etc. etc.

Waiting for FEDX sounds like as much fun as waiting for one of my Megacorp "partners" to complete a requested test or procedure so that I could move ahead with a project. Didn't like waiting then and I don't like waiting now. Looks like the Velveeta will just have to do.:facepalm::angel::blush::laugh: YMMV

ivinsfan 07-03-2021 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by street (Post 2628328)
Yep, I can do that. Just got the verbal, so will need to get the surveyor and lawyer started and I hope to get it done quick. The guy is a hermit and lives off grid at 8K on a mountain, so things can get interesting with communication reasons.

Wait, you are buying land from "our" Hermit:laugh::laugh::laugh:

it sound exciting when you give us an update can you give the background again, it's been awhile so I don't remember the details.

ivinsfan 07-03-2021 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolau (Post 2628449)
Heh, heh, just thinking: One of the reasons I FIRE'd was so I wouldn't have to BE anyplace at any time. Also, being FIRE'd means NOT needing to wait on partners, stake-holders, peers, suppliers, direct-reports, bosses, etc. etc.

Waiting for FEDX sounds like as much fun as waiting for one of my Megacorp "partners" to complete a requested test or procedure so that I could move ahead with a project. Didn't like waiting then and I don't like waiting now. Looks like the Velveeta will just have to do.:facepalm::angel::blush::laugh: YMMV

I know and I wasn't even complaining our drivers put on so many miles a day. The route is predetermined by computer daily to make life better for my drivers, who I greatly appreciate.

audreyh1 07-03-2021 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolau (Post 2628449)

Do you want something nice to arrive or not?

I donít mind waiting on a delivery thatís full of amazing goodness that I ordered for our enjoyment. I have the flexibility to do things at home on any given day. No big deal.

Koolau 07-03-2021 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2628548)
Do you want something nice to arrive or not?

"not"

- if I have to wait around for it. Oh, and "nice" is in the eye of the beholder.

And I DO like Velveeta.

The older I've gotten, the less I'm willing to wait for anything. I won't stand in a line for almost anything. I'm not ADHD or overly demanding. It's just that my time is my most precious resource. I don't trade it easily. We're all different and have different standards of quality and value. Enjoy your delivery because YMMV.

NW-Bound 07-03-2021 07:33 PM

https://justjessjustblogging.files.w...17/03/life.jpg

PS. I am not getting anything. No waiting, no going out. :)

ncbill 07-07-2021 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2628074)
Well, yes. When you order expensive perishable items packed in coolers you had better plan to be home to receive them and store ASAP.

otherwise, "quel fromage!"

ncbill 07-07-2021 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlaGator (Post 2628304)
FWIW-the Barrett 50 isn't bad to shoot. Between the massive weight and muzzle device, I didn't find it uncomfortable. Loud and fiery for certain. Been beat up worse with an ill-fitting 12 gauge and lightweight .308s

My youngest had fun with this last week at summer camp:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M240_machine_gun

athena53 07-09-2021 04:37 PM

My turn.

When I travel, especially if I really like the place, I pick up a piece of good jewelry (my other passion). Very portable as souvenirs go. In 2006 DH and I were in Athens and there was a gold cross studded with a few semi-precious stones in the window. It was screaming my name so I bought it. A few years later, unfortunately, the chain must have broken when I was wearing it and I lost both the pendant and the chain but it was the loss of the pendant that really hurt- I just loved the design.

Yesterday I got a banner ad from a place that makes jewelry in Greece. Exquisite and expensive stuff. I looked through the crosses and yes, there it was. If not an exact duplicate it's darn close. Here's the link.

https://athenagaia.com/products/dama...s-flared-cross

I just ordered it. Now I have to stay away from the site before I find something else I can't live without!

RobbieB 07-09-2021 04:46 PM

That's lovely! I like 18K too, more yellow (gold color) but still tough and durable.

Good Blow - :)

JP.mpls 07-09-2021 04:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe it still counts as "blow that dough", if it is just splurging on something I wouldn't have splurged on in the past.
I recently bought a very nice squirrel proof bird feeder, and then also got fancy expensive bird seed from the specialty birding store.
My cat Bert especially likes these choices. We call it cat TV when he watches the feeders out the window.
Attachment 39455

athena53 07-09-2021 05:38 PM

You can also buy bird seed laced with hot pepper powder. The birds don't notice it but the squirrels take one sniff and run away. Pretty funny to watch.

audreyh1 07-09-2021 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athena53 (Post 2631432)
My turn.

When I travel, especially if I really like the place, I pick up a piece of good jewelry (my other passion). Very portable as souvenirs go. In 2006 DH and I were in Athens and there was a gold cross studded with a few semi-precious stones in the window. It was screaming my name so I bought it. A few years later, unfortunately, the chain must have broken when I was wearing it and I lost both the pendant and the chain but it was the loss of the pendant that really hurt- I just loved the design.

Yesterday I got a banner ad from a place that makes jewelry in Greece. Exquisite and expensive stuff. I looked through the crosses and yes, there it was. If not an exact duplicate it's darn close. Here's the link.

I just ordered it. Now I have to stay away from the site before I find something else I can't live without!

Is that where you got your name?

athena53 07-09-2021 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2631472)
Is that where you got your name?

Not from that business, but yes, from the Greek goddess of wisdom. It was also the name of a song by The Who that was a favorite of my Ex's.

Koolau 07-10-2021 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athena53 (Post 2631432)
My turn.

DW got "addicted" to JTV (Jewelry TV). Talk about BTD. Fortunately, she "kicked" the habit a couple of years ago. I never minded her buying "good" jewelry (actual gold, etc.) but the stuff she was buying had no "value" other than the sparkle. DW pointed out that I'm constantly buying (used) DVDs at Goodwill, so I guess we're "even.":facepalm: YMMV

audreyh1 07-10-2021 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athena53 (Post 2631482)
Not from that business, but yes, from the Greek goddess of wisdom. It was also the name of a song by The Who that was a favorite of my Ex's.

Duh, I just realized that Athens would be named after Athena. The Parthenon is dedicated to her. I had associated the Greek goddess with war. And thatís also true, according to Wikipedia Athena is ďassociated with wisdom, handicraft, and warfareĒ.

NW-Bound 07-10-2021 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolau (Post 2631654)
DW got "addicted" to JTV (Jewelry TV). Talk about BTD. Fortunately, she "kicked" the habit a couple of years ago. I never minded her buying "good" jewelry (actual gold, etc.) but the stuff she was buying had no "value" other than the sparkle. DW pointed out that I'm constantly buying (used) DVDs at Goodwill, so I guess we're "even.":facepalm: YMMV

Well, what's wrong with an indulgence, to make life less boring? And if it does not cost much, what harm is there? As for me, I am quite leery about buying "stuff" because of storage space.

My children kept bugging me about what presents to give us, and I finally told them only consumables. And now, my liquor cabinet is full of XO cognacs and other spirits. So, I told them no more booze.

Speaking of a dull boring life, I just recall this song: Fade to Grey.

Quote:

Feel the rain like an English summer
Hear the notes from a distant song
Stepping out from a back shop poster
Wishing life wouldn't be so long
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMPR6Ujop4k

Koolau 07-10-2021 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2631694)
Well, what's wrong with an indulgence, to make life less boring? And if it does not cost much, what harm is there?

Nothing wrong. Just suggesting DW and I have different ways to BTD. We accept that in each other and occasionally make light of it. YMMV

athena53 07-10-2021 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolau (Post 2631654)
DW got "addicted" to JTV (Jewelry TV). Talk about BTD. Fortunately, she "kicked" the habit a couple of years ago. I never minded her buying "good" jewelry (actual gold, etc.) but the stuff she was buying had no "value" other than the sparkle. YMMV

Mine is all real but I never think of it as an investment. Most "we buy gold" places will give you about half the meltdown value of the metal. I started VERY early when I was taking actuarial exams- every time I passed one (there were 10 and for awhile I had a winning streak of passing every one on the first try) I'd buy myself a present. It expanded to buying pieces in my travels. I now have a wonderful 1950s- type charm bracelet and sometimes I just buy a charm from the place I'm visiting.

I was showing some of my jewelry to my 4-year old granddaughter, who seems to take an interest in it, and she expressed concern that I was spending all my money on jewelry. A very sensible concern! It was a good time to discuss priorities and budgeting at a 4-year old level.

Koolau 07-10-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athena53 (Post 2631712)
Mine is all real but I never think of it as an investment. Most "we buy gold" places will give you about half the meltdown value of the metal. I started VERY early when I was taking actuarial exams- every time I passed one (there were 10 and for awhile I had a winning streak of passing every one on the first try) I'd buy myself a present. It expanded to buying pieces in my travels. I now have a wonderful 1950s- type charm bracelet and sometimes I just buy a charm from the place I'm visiting.

I was showing some of my jewelry to my 4-year old granddaughter, who seems to take an interest in it, and she expressed concern that I was spending all my money in jewelry. A very sensible concern! It was a good time to discuss priorities and budgeting at a 4-year old level.

Heh, heh, I'm betting you are starting your GD on her way to FIRE! Good for you.

NW-Bound 07-10-2021 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolau (Post 2631705)
Nothing wrong. Just suggesting DW and I have different ways to BTD. We accept that in each other and occasionally make light of it. YMMV

The indulgent market god has given me so much money lately, I want to spend some on myself, but I have long realized that there was very little that I desire. There are things that I think I will enjoy, but then not for long. And "stuff" tends to require maintenance and upkeep. Get myself a fancy car, and I will get tired of it after a couple of drives.

And as I hate to throw usable things away, I will let them accumulate. I need to learn to let things go by taking them to Goodwill. Somehow, I could be giving thousands in cash to charity, but am reluctant to give away a tool or an appliance that I am not using. Perhaps I am afraid I may need it again, then kick myself for spending money once more on something that I already had.

Consumables are good, but drinking/eating too much and you will regret it later if your health is impacted. It's only travel that can help me blow some dough without regrets. I am so looking forward to when we can wander around in foreign lands, trying foreign dishes, browsing around in grocery stores to see what the locals eat, walking the streets to see how they live. Sigh...

NW-Bound 07-10-2021 11:49 AM

Quote:

I was showing some of my jewelry to my 4-year old granddaughter, who seems to take an interest in it, and she expressed concern that I was spending all my money in jewelry. A very sensible concern! It was a good time to discuss priorities and budgeting at a 4-year old level.

Speaking of gold, a close friend of mine was so worried that the entire economy would crash, back in the early 90s. So, he cashed out his entire 401k in order to buy gold. When the tax bill came due, he had to sell some in order to pay the tax. I bought a couple of American Gold Eagle coins from him, with the intention of giving them to my kids later, just for the heck of it.

I then kept forgetting, and finally gave them to my children a couple of years ago, when they were already in their 30s. They of course did not expect a gift like that! :o

athena53 07-10-2021 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2631748)
I bought a couple of American Gold Eagle coins from him, with the intention of giving them to my kids later, just for the heck of it.

I've got two pieces of gold coin jewelry. One is an Austrian ducat Dad bought on a business trip there back before Americans were allowed to buy gold coins, and one is a half-Krugerrand that he bought for my late mother. Both are mounted to wear as pendants.

Back to the OT- like NW-Bound, I've done well in the market since retiring and don't want anything else and already donate generously to charity. I'm continuing my usual withdrawal rate (averaging 3.5%) and have decided that what I don't need at the end of the year (will be $10K or more) I'll offer to DS and DDIL to be split between whatever they want for their own savings and contributions to the 529 account I set up for their 3 children.

Winemaker 07-10-2021 01:32 PM

Quote:

DW's best friend's father owned a jewelry store, everyone in the family worked there. DW became a knowledgeable observer while growing up, the father had the jewelry repair shop in the basement of the house.

Anytime we ever traveled to a new place , DW always bought gold charms when they were a decent deal for her gold bracelet, or a silver one for her silver bracelet. Needless to say, but they both are quite heavy after all these years.

Happyras 07-12-2021 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2631743)
The indulgent market god has given me so much money lately, I want to spend some on myself, but I have long realized that there was very little that I desire. .........I am so looking forward to when we can wander around in foreign lands, trying foreign dishes, browsing around in grocery stores to see what the locals eat, walking the streets to see how they live. Sigh...

+1 I too have tried to live within our means and find it not so rewarding spending when I look how hard our kids are struggling while working. We look forward to our Europe trip in Sept, and our practice cruise in July to Alaska from home port Seattle. Going Zip linings and renting motor cycles!

We are booked for Prague 5 nights, Vienna 5 nights, Greece 2 nights and cruise 7 and Barcelona 5 nights. Michelin stars will be counted at each stop!

We are pretty happy living like we did while working. Yup, we could buy a very large yacht, but I am not a fan of upkeep. The Jaguar just did not work out very well, but buying flagstone for my kids houses and hauling it in my new dually felt rewarding. My wife knew to quit 15 years ago, but it took me another 10 to realize it. Life with activity is short and blowing some dough is hard for the frugal who still repair everything using coupons:frown:

Letj 07-13-2021 04:59 AM

Thanks for posting the link Athena. Iíve found some stuff Iíve been trying to buy and couldnít quite find them. I too love jewelry and some of these are screaming my name.

Ronstar 07-13-2021 05:15 AM

My dock reno is slowly becoming a mini BTD. It only stands to reason that anything connecting to a boat costs a lot of money.

Winemaker 07-13-2021 06:11 AM

New roof on rental, $10,000, new flooring on first floor of our mansion, another $10,000.

athena53 07-13-2021 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Letj (Post 2632961)
Thanks for posting the link Athena. Iíve found some stuff Iíve been trying to buy and couldnít quite find them. I too love jewelry and some of these are screaming my name.

LOL! I've already found my next purchase on that site but I'm giving it time. I want to enjoy the "new stuff" glow from my current purchase after it arrives- maybe buy the second item as a birthday present in February. If they no longer carry it- well, I'll have fun picking out something else.

NW-Bound 07-13-2021 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happyras (Post 2632910)
+1 I too have tried to live within our means and find it not so rewarding spending when I look how hard our kids are struggling while working. We look forward to our Europe trip in Sept, and our practice cruise in July to Alaska from home port Seattle. Going Zip linings and renting motor cycles!

We are booked for Prague 5 nights, Vienna 5 nights, Greece 2 nights and cruise 7 and Barcelona 5 nights. Michelin stars will be counted at each stop!

As itchy as I am to take off on a European trek, the travel restrictions in place look too confusing and uncertain for me to make any plan. If I travel, it will be next year.

And my wife still has to find arrangement for care of her mother.

I may just be doomed to staying home to watch travel video.

street 07-13-2021 09:34 PM

Getting closer to blow some dough. Got the call I was waiting for today and the land deal is full steam ahead. A ways to go before money is exchanged but hammered out the details and new info is in attorney's hands now.
I'm pretty excited about this purchase been going on for 6 months already and I sure hope it doesn't take another 6 months. If it does it is what it is, and eventually I can call it mine.

explanade 07-14-2021 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2633411)
As itchy as I am to take off on a European trek, the travel restrictions in place look too confusing and uncertain for me to make any plan. If I travel, it will be next year.

And my wife still has to find arrangement for care of her mother.

Anything you book for 2022, I would make sure is refundable.

Don't know what the winter will be like, which new variants will pop up.

Philliefan33 07-14-2021 06:27 PM

Today I ordered an iPhone 12 to replace my iPhone 7. Not a big spend, but atypical of my usual ďuse it until it diesĒ approach. Itís my reward to myself for putting in so much time at my summer job. The company usually trains 40-50 new river guides every year but this year had only 20ish candidates. Iíve been going out four or five days per week instead of the usual two or three.

Out of Steam 07-14-2021 09:12 PM

Quote:

Agree, the arrangements and restrictions for legal tourist travel to Europe this year look like something I don't want to try and figure out.

We're planning a late fall trip to the Southwestern US, specific itinerary to be adjusted based on local situations.

street 07-14-2021 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philliefan33 (Post 2633943)
Today I ordered an iPhone 12 to replace my iPhone 7. Not a big spend, but atypical of my usual ďuse it until it diesĒ approach. Itís my reward to myself for putting in so much time at my summer job. The company usually trains 40-50 new river guides every year but this year had only 20ish candidates. Iíve been going out four or five days per week instead of the usual two or three.

A good way to blow some money.

I also have a 7 and next week I'm going to have a new battery installed and maybe the plugin port. I was thinking a new phone but decided to replace the battery.

grasshopper 07-15-2021 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JP.mpls (Post 2631442)
Maybe it still counts as "blow that dough", if it is just splurging on something I wouldn't have splurged on in the past.
I recently bought a very nice squirrel proof bird feeder, and then also got fancy expensive bird seed from the specialty birding store.
My cat Bert especially likes these choices. We call it cat TV when he watches the feeders out the window.
Attachment 39455

I had this feeder but it forgot to mention that it wasn't bear proof.

Ronstar 07-15-2021 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by street (Post 2634000)

I also have a 7 and next week I'm going to have a new battery installed and maybe the plugin port. I was thinking a new phone but decided to replace the battery.

Smart move. Keep the 7. The battery life in my 12 is not the greatest.

explanade 07-15-2021 05:16 AM

Shouldn’t buy last years iPhone now.

New models a couple of months away.

Chuckanut 07-15-2021 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by street (Post 2634000)

While you're there inquire if the phone is still under the extended warranty for a known problem with the cell phone circuitry. My 7 died a few weeks after the extended warranty expired. However, with the new battery I use it for music, audio books, and around the house (It still works well on wifi). That is saving a lot of wear and tear on the new iPhone SE 2020 I had to get. I only charge the SE's battery once every third day under normal conditions.

In effect, I am using my iPhone 7 as an iPod touch.

W2R 07-15-2021 11:51 AM

Several years ago my iPhone 5 cratered, and the price of the newer ones seemed ridiculous to me even then (imagine what I would think of today's iPhone prices! :rofl: ). I use a cell phone for phone calls and very few other functions. So, I went with Cricket wireless and got a free LG cell phone for porting my phone number over there.

Not a BTD move but I have been deliriously happy with paying exactly $30.00/month for unlimited talk and text, and $0.00 for my phone. The photos aren't as good, but the sound quality in my location is better IMO. And, I love not being at the mercy of Apple (which was my possibly unjustified perception), any more.

Dtail 07-15-2021 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 2634218)
Several years ago my iPhone 5 cratered, and the price of the newer ones seemed ridiculous to me even then (imagine what I would think of today's iPhone prices! :rofl: ). I use a cell phone for phone calls and very few other functions. So, I went with Cricket wireless and got a free LG cell phone for porting my phone number over there.

Not a BTD move but I have been deliriously happy with paying exactly $30.00/month for unlimited talk and text, and $0.00 for my phone. The photos aren't as good, but the sound quality in my location is better IMO. And, I love not being at the mercy of Apple (which was my possibly unjustified perception), any more.

I have Cricket for $25 monthly (4 lines =100) for unlimited, but did pay 50 for my older smart phone.

bltkmt 07-15-2021 12:14 PM

Quote:

Same here. Rick Steves is my new best friend.

NW-Bound 07-15-2021 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bltkmt (Post 2634227)
Same here. Rick Steves is my new best friend.

There are so many travel videos on YouTube, Rick Steves has lost his monopoly.

street 07-15-2021 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckanut (Post 2634140)
While you're there inquire if the phone is still under the extended warranty for a known problem with the cell phone circuitry. My 7 died a few weeks after the extended warranty expired. However, with the new battery I use it for music, audio books, and around the house (It still works well on wifi). That is saving a lot of wear and tear on the new iPhone SE 2020 I had to get. I only charge the SE's battery once every third day under normal conditions.

In effect, I am using my iPhone 7 as an iPod touch.

Well, thank you, I will do that. I need to charge each day now, and have had the phone over 5 years. It has been a solid phone and the battery really hasn't been terriable but I need to replace it. I'm in no service area a lot or very sketchy areas where coverage is questionable from day to day. I use battery in those areas more so need a dependable life line.

sengsational 07-16-2021 06:18 AM

Just booked air for 6 to San Juan PR from 3 different airports. Got the van rented. Shopping accommodations now. Trip with the kids and their SO's on my nickel. The best BTD for me because it's not "more stuff"!

zippy2020 07-16-2021 05:49 PM

We finally overcame our hesitancy and sprang for whole-house A/C. This may not sound very impressive to many, but we live where the coastal fog comes in just about every morning!

It's unbelievable to us that the once-infrequent super-heat spells have started happening every month during the summer and fall seasons. When it gets hot all over the state, our (insulated) stucco house eventually heats up so much, it will be as hot in the kitchen as it is outside. And unfortunately I'm the kind who thinks 67 degrees is an absolutely ideal temp, LOL.

A/C is rare in the town we live in. Only newer hi-rises and big office bldgs have A/C systems. Older SFHs, apartments, and older commercial bldgs don't - for the first 25 yrs we lived here, we didn't need it either!

One or two heat spells a year we can deal with. But last year there were eight week-long spells of 90-100+ degrees, even coastside. Year before that, there were seven. Everybody was miserable.

So we 'bit the bullet' and had the A/C installed before summer hit. And wouldn't you know it - it was installed on what turned out to be the coldest day of the year up till then. Must be a Murphy's Law thing!

So we might as well go whole-hog. Looking into a PowerWall or similar for a house electrical systems back-up. Tired of worrying about whether a power outage will knock out the fridge and freezer.

That house battery will be a big expenditure. Our neighbor just spent $30K on theirs.

TrvlBug 07-16-2021 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy2020 (Post 2634820)
We finally overcame our hesitancy and sprang for whole-house A/C. This may not sound very impressive to many, but we live where the coastal fog comes in just about every morning!

It's unbelievable to us that the once-infrequent super-heat spells have started happening every month during the summer and fall seasons. When it gets hot all over the state, our (insulated) stucco house eventually heats up so much, it will be as hot in the kitchen as it is outside. And unfortunately I'm the kind who thinks 67 degrees is an absolutely ideal temp, LOL.

A/C is rare in the town we live in. Only newer hi-rises and big office bldgs have A/C systems. Older SFHs, apartments, and older commercial bldgs don't - for the first 25 yrs we lived here, we didn't need it either!

One or two heat spells a year we can deal with. But last year there were eight week-long spells of 90-100+ degrees, even coastside. Year before that, there were seven. Everybody was miserable.

So we 'bit the bullet' and had the A/C installed before summer hit. And wouldn't you know it - it was installed on what turned out to be the coldest day of the year up till then. Must be a Murphy's Law thing!

So we might as well go whole-hog. Looking into a PowerWall or similar for a house electrical systems back-up. Tired of worrying about whether a power outage will knock out the fridge and freezer.

That house battery will be a big expenditure. Our neighbor just spent $30K on theirs.

We're doing the same thing for the same reasons you state. Additionally, even on the cooler days, we couldn't open the windows in the evening or overnight (2nd story) to cool down the house due to the fires. We're on the Peninsula.

NW-Bound 07-16-2021 07:22 PM

A temperature of 90-100F accompanied by some humidity would kill me. Here in the SW where it is usually bone dry, a temperature of 90F is barely tolerable.

Yesterday, I woke up early to go do some yardwork. The temperature was only 86F, but the dew point was 70F because the monsoon season was here. I came inside with my T-shirt soaking wet.

I am too old to suffer the heat. I need my AC. And to be sure I will always have it, I install an off-grid solar+battery that can run the ACs. My DIY battery is 34 kWh. The Powerwall is 13.5 kWh each.

PS. I suspect the battery capacity has degraded to 30 kWh, in the 3rd year of use.

Sunset 07-16-2021 11:37 PM

Quote:

I bought a generator to have in case of power failure.
Just a portable one on wheels, about $400
That way when power goes out for more than a day I could give some juice to the fridge and whatever else needed it.

Turns out I haven't had to use it in the 8+ years I've owned the thing.. :facepalm:

RobbieB 07-17-2021 07:27 PM

2 pounds bluefin tuna, 1 lb swordfish, 1 pound scallops, 1 pound unagi. 200 grams uni, a dozen and a half soft shell crabs. Catalina Offshore, $300 with free shipping - :)

NW-Bound 07-17-2021 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunset (Post 2634949)
I bought a generator to have in case of power failure.
Just a portable one on wheels, about $400
That way when power goes out for more than a day I could give some juice to the fridge and whatever else needed it.

Turns out I haven't had to use it in the 8+ years I've owned the thing.. :facepalm:

Then, when you finally need it, you'll find that it no longer works. :facepalm:

I like my solar+battery off-grid system. It is used everyday, and reduces my electric bill. It costs a lot more than a generator though. It takes little maintenance, but the darn battery is wearing out as I feared.

bltkmt 07-17-2021 08:58 PM

Quote:

Why not do a generator instead of expensive battery system?

Huston55 07-17-2021 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2635296)
2 pounds bluefin tuna, 1 lb swordfish, 1 pound scallops, 1 pound unagi. 200 grams uni, a dozen and a half soft shell crabs. Catalina Offshore, $300 with free shipping - :)

RB-

I need your address so I can come for dinner. I'm just up in the Bay Area. I'll bring the wine. ;D

GLM 07-18-2021 12:37 PM

Charms are easy souvenirs to pack and keep.

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Winemaker (Post 2631807)
DW's best friend's father owned a jewelry store, everyone in the family worked there. DW became a knowledgeable observer while growing up, the father had the jewelry repair shop in the basement of the house.

Anytime we ever traveled to a new place , DW always bought gold charms when they were a decent deal for her gold bracelet, or a silver one for her silver bracelet. Needless to say, but they both are quite heavy after all these years.

My "thing" has been silver charms when we travel. My Dear Aunt gave me the silver chain with a birthday charm on my 10th bd after admired hers. After my childhood years of buying silly charms like a bear at the zoo in a lighthouse near the family cabin I stuck to only buying charms when we traveled. Around 2000 it outgrew bracelet form so I turned it into a necklace. This photo is from 2013 We have done a LOT of traveling since then . I probably need to add another row.

Sometimes it is not possible to find a silver charm that is not Pandora. I must admit I usually don't know which palm tree or fish is from which Caribbean Island. Good memories anyhow.

Earrings are my silver sandals "awarded" after our 35th night at a Sandals resort.

street 07-19-2021 06:15 AM

Things keep moving ahead with my land deal. Got some documents over the weekend from seller and those are in the hands of my attorney. Surveyor is scheduled in a couple of weeks so one step at a time. Progress in motion for blowing that dough. Lol

Looking back over the last 8 month's we have blown a lot of money (6 figures) on gifting, charity, new vehicle and now more on land.

Life is short so going after what I enjoy, is important but still I'm very cautious of what we spend. I look at the land as an investment and will get my money back plus on it.

athena53 07-19-2021 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLM (Post 2635567)
Around 2000 it outgrew bracelet form so I turned it into a necklace. This photo is from 2013 We have done a LOT of traveling since then . I probably need to add another row.

I like that idea! I may try that if my bracelet gets too crowded. I'd been thinking of just starting a second one. I've seen entire charm bracelets on e-Bay selling for probably the meltdown value of the precious metals- I'm sure they're full of someone else's memories but the family isn't interested and possibly some have been attached with the loops soldered closed so they're too much trouble to sell separately. As I noted earlier, jewelry is NOT an investment.

Sunset 07-19-2021 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athena53 (Post 2635886)
I like that idea! I may try that if my bracelet gets too crowded. I'd been thinking of just starting a second one. I've seen entire charm bracelets on e-Bay selling for probably the meltdown value of the precious metals- I'm sure they're full of someone else's memories but the family isn't interested and possibly some have been attached with the loops soldered closed so they're too much trouble to sell separately. As I noted earlier, jewelry is NOT an investment.

So true.
Souvenirs are a nice reminder for the purchaser, but to other's it's meaningless.
Now we just buy fridge magnets on our travels for a physical reminder, knowing they will all go in the garbage when we are gone.

aja8888 07-19-2021 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunset (Post 2635948)
So true.
Souvenirs are a nice reminder for the purchaser, but to other's it's meaningless.
Now we just buy fridge magnets on our travels for a physical reminder, knowing they will all go in the garbage when we are gone.

I do the same and also try to find "stickers" and add those to my garage fridge. Half the front of it is a visual history of our trips. LOL (DW thinks I am loony for doing that)

GravitySucks 07-21-2021 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athena53 (Post 2635886)
As I noted earlier, jewelry is NOT an investment.

I disagree. Buying a decent piece for DW once or twice a year made my life much better. A great investment in happiness.

Winemaker 07-21-2021 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLM (Post 2635567)
My "thing" has been silver charms when we travel. My Dear Aunt gave me the silver chain with a birthday charm on my 10th bd after admired hers. After my childhood years of buying silly charms like a bear at the zoo in a lighthouse near the family cabin I stuck to only buying charms when we traveled. Around 2000 it outgrew bracelet form so I turned it into a necklace. This photo is from 2013 We have done a LOT of traveling since then . I probably need to add another row.

I love the idea! When we had the 2 pieces appraised for insurance purposes, there was some serious money involved at meltdown prices.

stephenson 07-21-2021 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OMG - I was doing so well - until I saw this.

street 07-21-2021 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephenson (Post 2637212)

Did you buy that ride??

stephenson 07-21-2021 09:35 PM

No, but Ö. first car Iíve seen in awhile that got my attention.

Sadly, it is electric Ö

audreyh1 07-22-2021 10:59 AM

OK! - Japanese Wagyu A5 tenderloin roast 6 lbs on sale $799.99 delivered for Costco members starting 7/29/21! Thats $200 off.

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch...anese+a5+wagyu

braumeister 07-22-2021 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2637459)
OK! - Japanese Wagyu A5 tenderloin roast 6 lbs on sale $799.99 delivered for Costco members starting 7/29/21! Thats $200 off.

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch...anese+a5+wagyu

Your link shows it as $499.99.

More expensive per pound than the one I bought a couple of years ago, but still a great price.

audreyh1 07-22-2021 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braumeister (Post 2637465)
Your link shows it as $499.99.

More expensive per pound than the one I bought a couple of years ago, but still a great price.

This is the item that will be $799.99 starting 7/29/21. It’s currently $999.99. https://www.costco.com/japanese-wagy...100505552.html

$499.99 is for the strip loin roast.

P.S. DH says no way! We’re not really into heavily marbled beef, but I’d try a small cut to see what the fuss is all about.,

aja8888 07-22-2021 11:47 AM

Coming up 8/2:

Front tooth extraction (well, that was done in April or so).

Drain infected area above tooth and sew up gum (done).

Add in bone graft material (done).

8/2 - drill and twp hole for new insert. Stitch up, wait.

8/? - remove stitches, check insert, prepare for tooth implant.

9/? - New tooth put in place.

About $6,000.00

W2R 07-22-2021 12:00 PM

NW-Bound suggested this post would have been more appropriate to this BTD thread, so here it is!

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 2637493)
[...]We all have our weaknesses when it comes to spending.

Here's mine: I just pre-ordered the new OLED Switch which will cost me $349 upon its October release. People say it's no different from a regular Switch (which I already own!) except it has a prettier screen, more RAM, better sound, and it is a lovely white color. I don't care if it's not that different. It's something I want :whistling: whether that desire is illogical or not. I am happy to throw $349 at Nintendo for it.

Now, $349 may not seem like much but you should see the squawking about how much it is, on the Nintendo forums! People think it's a huge rip-off. We were all hoping the OLED Switch would come with a better processor and 4K video, but no, it is just the same, and it plays the same old games we can already play on our old Switches.

I STILL WANT IT so I pre-ordered it anyway and nobody on the face of this green Earth can tell me I can't! That's the great thing about being single, 73, and FIRE'd. ;D

:dance:

NW-Bound 07-22-2021 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by street (Post 2635882)
Things keep moving ahead with my land deal. Got some documents over the weekend from seller and those are in the hands of my attorney. Surveyor is scheduled in a couple of weeks so one step at a time. Progress in motion for blowing that dough. Lol

Looking back over the last 8 month's we have blown a lot of money (6 figures) on gifting, charity, new vehicle and now more on land.

Life is short so going after what I enjoy, is important but still I'm very cautious of what we spend. I look at the land as an investment and will get my money back plus on it.

I spent a few hundred $K this year on stocks, that I did not really intend to buy. I set strike prices on the put options not low enough, and kept getting assigned.

I would not want to call it "Blowing Dough", because same as your land deal, it is not for consumables. I hope my shares will retain some values, if not appreciate in the years ahead. :)

street 07-22-2021 12:14 PM

NW-Bound, I asked myself a few times, why do I need more land. Lol

You know NW if we can and we want to, we should. What the heck, it is only money.

Ronstar 07-22-2021 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephenson (Post 2637212)

Are you referring to the Jeep?

Souschef 07-22-2021 12:26 PM

After DW awoke from her Covid isolation slumber, she started ordering stuff for all the upgrades
PLANNED UPGRADES TO OUR HOME

BATHROOM
Floors in Bathrooms
Replace Sinks in Bathrooms
Shower enclosure Replace with professional tile Have a full
Clear glass enclosure cubbies for shampoo premium shower head with wand
Bathroom counter tops
Main bathroom console paint to match salmon
New higher large opening toilet
Vanity and seat
Accent tile to match sink backsplash

BEDROOM
Bedroom repaint
Massage chair
Curtains for Closet
Desk
Shoe Rack

KITCHEN
Floor in Kitchen

LAUNDRY ROOM
Remove standing cabinet
Install large shelf for bottles
Install large expandable drying rack
Covered box for cleaning supplies
Install shelf over washer
Better tray storage
hooks for veggies
better methods for jackets
Plastic for flowers
dowel water bottle dryer

OFFICE
new TV
new couch

The ones in red are done. all others in progress

stephenson 07-22-2021 12:26 PM

So … the wagyu beef thing … I don’t get it … and, most of the basic reviews don’t get it, either.

Best steak I had recently was tuna … from Sams … individually wrapped and incredible to grill - olive oil and lemon juice …

RunningBum 07-22-2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2637484)
This is the item that will be $799.99 starting 7/29/21. Itís currently $999.99. https://www.costco.com/japanese-wagy...100505552.html

$499.99 is for the strip loin roast.

P.S. DH says no way! Weíre not really into heavily marbled beef, but Iíd try a small cut to see what the fuss is all about.,

Are the filets going to be on sale as well? That would tempt me. I haven't seen the mailer yet, if that's where you found out.

NW-Bound 07-22-2021 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by street (Post 2637509)
NW-Bound, I asked myself a few times, why do I need more land. Lol

You know NW if we can and we want to, we should. What the heck, it is only money.

Sure, it is only money, but if you trade money for something else, you have to think that something else is better for you than money.

Well, I guess land is not really a consumable, but some people can get some enjoyment out of it.

Hmmm... What do I expect to get out of my shares? The dividends, I guess. Some don't pay dividends, so I have to squeeze some cash out of them with options. Oops, wrong thread.

audreyh1 07-22-2021 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephenson (Post 2637520)
So Ö the wagyu beef thing Ö I donít get it Ö and, most of the basic reviews donít get it, either.

Best steak I had recently was tuna Ö from Sams Ö individually wrapped and incredible to grill - olive oil and lemon juice Ö

I think that because the Wagyu beef is so heavily marbled it has amazing tenderness and intense flavor. That's what I'm told. Some describe it as "beef butter". I'd be willing to try a small piece of the A5 Japanese imported stuff (from the Kagoshima prefecture in Japan) since that is supposed to be the best.

If you are not a beef lover, than it probably doesn't matter. But I do love beef. However, my experience with beef flavor is that in general less marbled cuts have more flavor. For example, I generally prefer the non-prime steaks compared to prime because I think the flavor is more intense. We had some US grass fed (and finished) rib-eye steaks recently that were fantastic. Tender and super flavorful.

audreyh1 07-22-2021 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningBum (Post 2637523)
Are the filets going to be on sale as well? That would tempt me. I haven't seen the mailer yet, if that's where you found out.

I don't know. I was looking at the on-line only Costco flier we just got, and it only lists the whole tenderloin. Yes - the mailer.

NW-Bound 07-22-2021 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2637547)
I think that because the Wagyu beef is so heavily marbled it has amazing tenderness and intense flavor. That's what I'm told. Some describe it as "beef butter". I'd be willing to try a small piece of the A5 Japanese imported stuff (from the Kagoshima prefecture in Japan) since that is supposed to be the best.

If you are not a beef lover, than it probably doesn't matter. But I do love beef. However, my experience with beef flavor is that in general less marbled cuts have more flavor. For example, I generally prefer the non-prime steaks compared to prime because I think the flavor is more intense. We had some US grass fed (and finished) rib-eye steaks recently that were fantastic. Tender and super flavorful.

I have read somewhere that beef tenderloin used to be a throwaway cut because it has no flavor.

Same with lobster, which is not really as flavorful as shrimp and crab when you think about it.

finnski1 07-22-2021 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2637556)
I have read somewhere that beef tenderloin used to be a throwaway cut because it has no flavor.

Same with lobster, which is not really as flavorful as shrimp and crab when you think about it.

Good marketing? I agree about lobster. I live in NH and travel to Maine regularly for ocean vacations. Every time I get back people always ask me "did you have the lobster?" When I say no they look at me like I have 2 heads. Much rather have the fried clams, shrimp, scallops and haddock plates.:) You can have the boiled tasteless lobster. Come on, face it people if it was so good why the need to drown in it hot butter:laugh:

stephenson 07-22-2021 01:48 PM

Re beef Ö in Aspen and recently had an incredible bison steak Ö extremely tender and very good flavor. About a pound and $42.

Been to Japan many times - had the special beef (not marketed by them much) - was good, but a high quality filet is about the same to my recollection.

braumeister 07-22-2021 01:54 PM

The stuff from Costco is the real thing. Japanese Wagyu grade A5. Totally unlike any beef you have ever had -- when they use the phrase "melts in your mouth" it's quite literal. In fact, when you take a piece of the raw beef out of the frig, the incredibly well marbled fat immediately starts melting from the warmth of your hand. There is simply no comparison with anything else.

When you see the word "Wagyu" or sometimes "American Wagyu" on beef products here, believe me it is absolutely not anywhere close to what the Japanese have perfected over countless generations of careful breeding.

And since it's nearly impossible to find the real thing in restaurants, this is one of the few ways of getting it. Something you should certainly try once in your life.

And then there is "Kobe beef" which is another category even beyond this. I've only had that once in my life, about 50 years ago, and I still remember it fondly.

street 07-22-2021 01:56 PM

^ Bison steak is a great way to blow some dough. Some of the best tasting meat on earth IMO.

TheWizard 07-22-2021 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2637545)
Sure, it is only money, but if you trade money for something else, you have to think that something else is better for you than money.

Well, I guess land is not really a consumable, but some people can get some enjoyment out of it...

Well, if the land has trees on it, you can spend time cutting many of them down with a chainsaw in coming years.
Two advantages:
1) you have firewood for those cool/cold days in winter.
2) you lessen the chances of a nasty WILDFIRE in that area...

street 07-22-2021 02:11 PM

^ land for me is an investment, and gives me more pleasurer while I'm here on earth then having money that I can spend.

I have enough but I love owning land. This new addition should keep me busy for years to come, with enjoyment of improving the place.

I could make money from it but I don't. The irrigation I will decide what I want to do with it. I already told the guy that farms it that nothing will change keep doing what he is doing.

NW-Bound 07-22-2021 02:19 PM

If I had more land, I would plant a solar farm. :)

I have a bit of land up at the high-country boondocks home, nice south-facing hillside too for a large solar array. But it's not my permanent home, plus I don't need AC there.

Thought about buying a home further out from where I am now and in a more rural area in order to get more land, but I like the suburb area where I am now better.

tmm99 07-22-2021 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningBum (Post 2637523)

Even tender cuts like filet mignon are highly marbled. Sirloin too.

I got so used to the American version of beef that I can't go back to the Japanese marbled version at this point. Because of the marbling effect, the meat is very tender. They're also more flavourful, but nah, not for me anymore...

If you do get Wagyu beef, or something similar, I highly recommend that you try a very small amount to test it out. It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea IMHO. And it's not something you can gobble up a lot of (due to the fat content.)

Having said that, you could have a party with a bunch of friends serving this? After all, this is the blow-that-dough thread!

braumeister 07-22-2021 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmm99 (Post 2637594)
If you do get Wagyu beef, or something similar, I highly recommend that you try a very small amount to test it out.

That's good and often overlooked advice. If you ordered it in a restaurant in Japan, you would be given a very small portion (only a few ounces) and you would feel it was plenty. It's that rich.

RobbieB 07-22-2021 02:29 PM

If your lobster has no flavor, you have bad lobster. Shrimp should taste like shrimp, crab should taste like crab and...

I've had tasteless crab and shrimp too. Sometimes you just get bad stuff.

braumeister 07-22-2021 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2637599)
If your lobster has no flavor, you have bad lobster. Shrimp should taste like shrimp, crab should taste like crab and...

I've had tasteless crab and shrimp too. Sometimes you just get bad stuff.

I have to agree. Cooking a lobster is not simply dunking it in a big pot of boiling water -- that will lose much of its flavor.

W2R 07-22-2021 02:39 PM

A few of my pointless musings about what we choose to BTD on

You know, it's interesting to me that those posting here seem mainly consumed by thoughts of either buying land, or cars, or imported foods, or home improvements.

There is such a huge variety of things on which we could Blow That Dough, and I suppose we each have our own preferences. This is why it is such fun to read this thread. It's fun to see what other people are into.

I still don't have the slightest desire for a Tesla, forest acreage, a deck, or 500 pounds of wagyu beef, even if you gave me all four this week. Not that these are bad purchases; they're just not on my radar at the moment.

However, you never know. Last week the battery in my Venza flat-out died with no warning. Here's what we did:

1) We jump started it and went to Autozone, but they wouldn't replace it (complicated battery placement design).

2) We jump started it again and drove down the busiest 8-lane street ever to get to National Tire and Battery. They must have had 300 cars in line.

3) We jump started it again and drove it to the Toyota dealer and they replaced it in a half hour for less than the other two were charging.

But until the dealer service department did that, I was fed up. >:( Seriously I was on the verge of going on a test drive and then buying a new Rav4 that day! So, I guess I am not immune to being interested in vehicles, under the right circumstances.

TheWizard 07-22-2021 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braumeister (Post 2637601)
I have to agree. Cooking a lobster is not simply dunking it in a big pot of boiling water -- that will lose much of its flavor.

Hmm, they sell them in grocery stores here, and that's EXACTLY how to cook one. You could steam a lobster 🦞 as well, but they tend to scream more that way.

Sometimes I put a bit of salt in the boiling water first but I don't care as much for lobsters cooked in seawater.

I do have a chart on my fridge for how long to boil a lobster, depending on weight. That matters...

audreyh1 07-22-2021 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2637556)

Well, I really like tenderloin and I find it very flavorful when seared/roasted or grilled. I go for the non-prime.

I also find lobster flavorful enough, but give me king crab any day instead.

Seems like you could steam lobster instead of boiling it?

braumeister 07-22-2021 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWizard (Post 2637621)
Hmm, they sell them in grocery stores here, and that's EXACTLY how to cook one.

Well, that's exactly how most people cook them. Not the best way.

explanade 07-22-2021 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2637492)
Coming up 8/2:

Front tooth extraction (well, that was done in April or so).

Drain infected area above tooth and sew up gum (done).

Add in bone graft material (done).

8/2 - drill and twp hole for new insert. Stitch up, wait.

8/? - remove stitches, check insert, prepare for tooth implant.

9/? - New tooth put in place.

About $6,000.00

Interesting, I'm being quoted $4300 just for extraction.

And it doesn't even include the pathology lab costs.

NW-Bound 07-22-2021 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2637622)
Well, I really like tenderloin and I find it very flavorful when seared/roasted or grilled. I go for the non-prime.

I also find lobster flavorful enough, but give me king crab any day instead.

Seems like you could steam lobster instead of boiling it?

Well, people may get me wrong.

I do enjoy tenderloin steaks, but not to the point of preferring it over the other cuts. And it does not have to be a steak. Osso buco often hits the spot better. Or even Hungarian goulash.

And I like lobster too, but also can only eat so much before I get tired. Dungeness crab is something I can eat a lot more of.