Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Blow That Dough! -2021 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/blow-that-dough-2021-a-107327.html)

Dtail 07-22-2021 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2637599)
If your lobster has no flavor, you have bad lobster. Shrimp should taste like shrimp, crab should taste like crab and...

I've had tasteless crab and shrimp too. Sometimes you just get bad stuff.

Agree and sometimes I find the smaller lobsters have a little more flavor than the very large ones.

CardsFan 07-22-2021 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dtail (Post 2637649)
Agree and sometimes I find the smaller lobsters have a little more flavor than the very large ones.

I agree. Large lobsters are also tougher, particularly the tail.

Many years ago I remember my family cooking a 20+lb lobster (we lived near Boston) for a family gathering. Mostly it was made into lobster salad, but I remember taking the little claws, that are usually too small to fuss with, and pulling out tender pieces 2" long and about 1/2" in diameter.

OK, gotta think about ordering some live ones from Maine.

Life_by_Fire 07-22-2021 04:11 PM

Wasn't lobster historically prison food until it started being marketed as a delicacy?

As for mentioning of grass fed beef, I grew up on a grass fed beef breeding farm. It is delicious, but the taste is definitely different. As some say, "gamey." I enjoy the steak but find grain fed steak better in flavor, due to taste and marbling. However, the grass fed ground beef is far superior to anything I've tried.

I can't wait to be able to post to this thread about my own Blow that Dough, but sadly, I'm still in the accumulation phase. Everyone's posts inspire me.

finnski1 07-22-2021 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braumeister (Post 2637601)
I have to agree. Cooking a lobster is not simply dunking it in a big pot of boiling water -- that will lose much of its flavor.

I have lived my entire life in New England and have vacationed in Maine for over 40 years. I have eaten it at "fine" restaurants and dock side shacks and every where in between. While I like it ok. IMHO it is over rated and I just don't get the excitement over it. I've also probably eaten more than my share so I know what "bad " lobster is or isn't. Now that also probably means I like it. I do. Just not as impressive as most people think. Maybe I've eaten my life share and don't get excited about it anymore. ;D I don't even bother eating it any more on our trips to Maine. Would rather eat whole belly clams or shrimp or crab etc.:)
My "tasteless" comment was a bit sarcastic but meant to agree more with the other posters comment about shrimp and crab tasting better.:)

CardsFan 07-22-2021 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnski1 (Post 2637667)
Would rather eat whole belly clams

Now, that I can agree with. But getting whole belly clams outside of New England is next to impossible. Though I did some places in SW FL (Naples/ Cape coral area) advertising them. I also saw several cars with Red Sox stickers. Coincidence, I think not. :laugh:

finnski1 07-22-2021 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardsFan (Post 2637670)
Now, that I can agree with. But getting whole belly clams outside of New England is next to impossible. Though I did some places in SW FL (Naples/ Cape coral area) advertising them. I also saw several cars with Red Sox stickers. Coincidence, I think not. :laugh:

Ok I didn't realize they were that rare outside of New England. That's a shame. ;D More for me.:laugh:

CardsFan 07-22-2021 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnski1 (Post 2637672)
Ok I didn't realize they were that rare outside of New England. That's a shame. ;D More for me.:laugh:

If you order fried clams in almost any place outside New England, you will get fried clams strips. Made from the sea clams we would grind or chop into clam chowder.

And speaking of clam chowder, every one else (outside New England) thinks it is supposed to be so thick your spoon can stand up in it. And it is mostly potatoes.

RobbieB 07-22-2021 04:55 PM

Lobster should be steamed. You can kill them first by snipping through the brain with kitchen shears if alive. I boil shrimp in the minimum amount of water needed to cover. With salt, a splash of vinegar and a goodly dollop of Old Bay. You don't want the flavor left in the pot.

Oh and speaking of shrimp, don't boil them either. Bring water to boil, dump in shrimp and stir gently until a simmer just starts. Then lid the pot and turn off the heat and let 'em coast for 4 minutes.

TheWizard 07-22-2021 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardsFan (Post 2637659)
I agree. Large lobsters are also tougher, particularly the tail.

Many years ago I remember my family cooking a 20+lb lobster (we lived near Boston) for a family gathering. Mostly it was made into lobster salad, but I remember taking the little claws, that are usually too small to fuss with, and pulling out tender pieces 2" long and about 1/2" in diameter.

OK, gotta think about ordering some live ones from Maine.

I usually ask for a "larger" lobster, 2-3 lbs, at my local grocery store. They don't always have any, just 1-1/4 lb chicken lobsters. ☹️
They were going for $10.99/lb last time.
Once they get down to $9.99, I'll pull the trigger...

finnski1 07-22-2021 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardsFan (Post 2637676)
If you order fried clams in almost any place outside New England, you will get fried clams strips. Made from the sea clams we would grind or chop into clam chowder.

And speaking of clam chowder, every one else (outside New England) thinks it is supposed to be so thick your spoon can stand up in it. And it is mostly potatoes.

You mean clam chowdah!:coolsmiley:

TheWizard 07-22-2021 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardsFan (Post 2637676)
If you order fried clams in almost any place outside New England, you will get fried clams strips. Made from the sea clams we would grind or chop into clam chowder.

And speaking of clam chowder, every one else (outside New England) thinks it is supposed to be so thick your spoon can stand up in it. And it is mostly potatoes.

Yes, clam chowder can be cheapened easily that way.
My RI girlfriend takes time to make it properly once in a while.
But myself, I just do steamer clams every few weeks, with melted butter and hot sauce.
Unlike lobsters, steamers don't scream while being steamed.
(That rhymes...)

RobbieB 07-22-2021 06:20 PM

I agree. Clam chowder should be made of mostly clams. Not potatoes. A small amount, ok, but never more than the clams. C'mon, then it should be called clam flavored potato chowder eh? I'm also a fan of Manhattan style, thin red tomato broth. Same wrt the clam/potato/other veggie ratio.

Yeah, fried full belly clams are the only way to do a clam roll. Just like an oyster roll.

Making me hungry and eager for the east coast this fall - :)

CardsFan 07-22-2021 06:40 PM

OK. Totally off topic, but a trip down memory lane:

My grandparents lived on the Cape (Cape Cod for the unfamiliar). Early 70's. Grandma is about 85, I am in my teens, Mom and Dad late 40's.

We all head down to the local harbor to dig quahogs. Knee deep in muck (not sand) we hit the mother load. Came back and made stuffed quahogs and clam (quahog?) chowder.

Not a blow the dough moment, but I would blow the dough to do it one more time.

NW-Bound 07-22-2021 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2637678)
Lobster should be steamed. You can kill them first by snipping through the brain with kitchen shears if alive. I boil shrimp in the minimum amount of water needed to cover. With salt, a splash of vinegar and a goodly dollop of Old Bay. You don't want the flavor left in the pot.

Oh and speaking of shrimp, don't boil them either. Bring water to boil, dump in shrimp and stir gently until a simmer just starts. Then lid the pot and turn off the heat and let 'em coast for 4 minutes.

My wife steams shrimp, but instead of a colander, she uses a plate that is placed inside a larger pot. The juice that is on the plate is good for sipping, or you can use it to add to a shrimp dish. Hmmm...

Now, I still have to make an RV trip to the Gulf Coast, and park there for a week just eating wild fresh shrimp, if I can find it.

USGrant1962 07-22-2021 08:22 PM

I just got my triple monitor setup, three 27" IPS gaming monitors - Gigabyte M27Qs. I already had three monitors but they were different sizes (a 27" and two 24") and different models so, for example, colors didn't match across the screens. I really wanted three identical 27" monitors and this one dropped to its lowest price in history. All three with tax were under a grand. My old 27" was moved to DW's desktop, one of the 24-inchers will upgrade my summer house desktop and the other will go to DS.

While nice and fun for home computer use (web browsing with email open in a different screen, gaming with guides/walkthroughs in another screen, occasional multi-screen gaming - though that can kill frame rate), multi monitors are a huge efficiency in my part-time consulting gig where I do proposal work. The doc I'm working on is in the center, references/web on the right, and file folders/SharePoint/OneDrive/go-bys on the left.

explanade 07-22-2021 08:26 PM

Thing about a lot of these foods is that people associate them with special occasions or splurges.

And you have them once in awhile.

What happens if Costco makes you buy a lot and you gorge for a week or two on them?

Will it be as special?

USGrant1962 07-22-2021 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by explanade (Post 2637786)
Thing about a lot of these foods is that people associate them with special occasions or splurges.

And you have them once in awhile.

What happens if Costco makes you buy a lot and you gorge for a week or two on them?

Will it be as special?

LOL at Costco MAKES you buy a lot...:laugh:

But actually, we buy the big bag of frozen scallops when "the seafood guy" is there and just thaw what we need. Much cheaper than buying smaller quantities of scallops to sear, and they are all previously frozen any way.

audreyh1 07-22-2021 08:52 PM

You don’t have to eat it all at once! If you get it frozen, just use what you need.

NW-Bound 07-22-2021 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by explanade (Post 2637786)
Thing about a lot of these foods is that people associate them with special occasions or splurges.

And you have them once in awhile.

What happens if Costco makes you buy a lot and you gorge for a week or two on them?

Will it be as special?

If you have Wagyu beef for a week, you will be craving canned tomato soup. :)

Sunset 07-22-2021 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 2637602)
You know, it's interesting to me that those posting here seem mainly consumed by thoughts of either buying land, or cars, or imported foods, or home improvements.

There is such a huge variety of things on which we could Blow That Dough, and I suppose we each have our own preferences. This is why it is such fun to read this thread. It's fun to see what other people are into.

......

It's quite fun and informative to learn about some of these things, it's inspiring :popcorn:

RobbieB 07-23-2021 01:03 AM

I saw some frozen A5 steaks at Costco last time I went but didn't get them as we had other plans. I'mma gonna get some next time!

athena53 07-23-2021 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2637492)
Coming up 8/2:

Front tooth extraction (well, that was done in April or so).

Drain infected area above tooth and sew up gum (done).

Add in bone graft material (done).

8/2 - drill and tap hole for new insert. Stitch up, wait.

8/? - remove stitches, check insert, prepare for tooth implant.

9/? - New tooth put in place.

About $6,000.00


I'm in the middle of something similar except that the decayed tooth was holding up one end of a bridge so I'll be getting an implant in the gap the bridge covered, too! Fortunately the infected area didn't need to be drained but the decayed tooth is gone, bone graft put in at the same time, a consult to set up the next step (bone graft in gap plus the 2 inserts) 10/25. I'm budgeting $12K total based on previous work I've had done.


Not the most glamorous BTD expenditure but I'm very grateful. Overall my health is very good but I've always had problem teeth. These will be my 6th and 7th implants over 15 years. I'd likely have dentures by now if I couldn't do this.

finnski1 07-23-2021 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athena53 (Post 2637882)
I'm in the middle of something similar except that the decayed tooth was holding up one end of a bridge so I'll be getting an implant in the gap the bridge covered, too! Fortunately the infected area didn't need to be drained but the decayed tooth is gone, bone graft put in at the same time, a consult to set up the next step (bone graft in gap plus the 2 inserts) 10/25. I'm budgeting $12K total based on previous work I've had done.


Not the most glamorous BTD expenditure but I'm very grateful. Overall my health is very good but I've always had problem teeth. These will be my 6th and 7th implants over 15 years. I'd likely have dentures by now if I couldn't do this.

Wow that's almost identical to what I am in the middle of right now.
Had a bridge across tooth #4 with #3 and 5 as the anchors. Developed some decay under tooth #3 so had to remove bridge, extract #3 and had some bone grafting. That must have been 10-12 sutures and was not a fun day or few weeks following. #5 was still ok so put a new crown on that($2000) and waiting to schedule 2 implants and crowns for another $9000+. So I will be over $11000 myself. There are many more things I would like to spend $11k on but it is what it is.;D

My health is very good also and can't complain either. This will be my first implants. Are they worth it? Do they seem real secure etc?

albireo13 07-24-2021 06:06 AM

I am trying to shake off my frugal roots ...
Retired last year, DW still working for 2+ more years. We figure to take care of some big ticket items while we still have her income so ...

* remodeling master bathroom - started planning the project, likely finished Q1 of next year
* having a stone patio installed this month
* looking into a trailer/camper - we love camping and are ready to move on from tent camping (usually in the rain ... LOL).
* I need a new car - my Pilot has 251K miles on it and I need something that can tow a trailer. The Pilot runs like a top but, has no tow package. Looking at an F-150 this weekend!

finnski1 07-24-2021 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albireo13 (Post 2638348)
I am trying to shake off my frugal roots ...
Retired last year, DW still working for 2+ more years. We figure to take care of some big ticket items while we still have her income so ...

* remodeling master bathroom - started planning the project, likely finished Q1 of next year
* having a stone patio installed this month
* looking into a trailer/camper - we love camping and are ready to move on from tent camping (usually in the rain ... LOL).
* I need a new car - my Pilot has 251K miles on it and I need something that can tow a trailer. The Pilot runs like a top but, has no tow package. Looking at an F-150 this weekend!

Well I'd say your giving it a pretty good go!:)

athena53 07-24-2021 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnski1 (Post 2637894)
Wow that's almost identical to what I am in the middle of right now.
<snip>These will be my first implants. Are they worth it? Do they seem real secure etc.?

I LOVE mine. I joke that they're like your own teeth, only better because they can't decay. My dentist recommends cleanings 4X yearly so I do keep up with that.

It's partly a matter of luck- TeacherTerry has posted about hers and she's had to have multiple fixes, but mine have been great and I eat a lot of crunchy fruits and vegetables. It's likely also a matter of the skills of the practitioner- I will stick with my current oral surgeon and dentist till they retire and I hope that's many years away.

Even recovery hasn't been bad. Every time the oral surgeon writes me a prescription for Oxy or Hydro. Every time I get by on one dose of OTC meds (if that) and wistfully think about the street value of the prescription before I shred it.;D

corn18 07-24-2021 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athena53 (Post 2638402)
I LOVE mine. I joke that they're like your own teeth, only better because they can't decay. My dentist recommends cleanings 4X yearly so I do keep up with that.

It's partly a matter of luck- TeacherTerry has posted about hers and she's had to have multiple fixes, but mine have been great and I eat a lot of crunchy fruits and vegetables. It's likely also a matter of the skills of the practitioner- I will stick with my current oral surgeon and dentist till they retire and I hope that's many years away.

Even recovery hasn't been bad. Every time the oral surgeon writes me a prescription for Oxy or Hydro. Every time I get by on one dose of OTC meds (if that) and wistfully think about the street value of the prescription before I shred it.;D

I had to have a tooth pulled 2 years ago and have no interest in replacing it. And since it costs thousands of dollars and multiple visits, I really have no interest. Whatís the downside of not getting an implant?

athena53 07-24-2021 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corn18 (Post 2638604)
Whatís the downside of not getting an implant?

If it's your back molar- nothing. I lost 2 of those and live without them. If the loss leaves a gap between teeth, they tell you that the surrounding teeth will lean into the gap and your teeth will all get out of alignment. I haven't tested that.

Right now I can tell you that if I had just left blank spots where I now have implants, it would severely impair my ability to chew anything substantial and that in turn would have a serious impact on my nutrition. All my implants have been far enough back that the gaps wouldn't really affect my appearance.

finnski1 07-24-2021 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athena53 (Post 2638402)
I LOVE mine. I joke that they're like your own teeth, only better because they can't decay. My dentist recommends cleanings 4X yearly so I do keep up with that.

It's partly a matter of luck- TeacherTerry has posted about hers and she's had to have multiple fixes, but mine have been great and I eat a lot of crunchy fruits and vegetables. It's likely also a matter of the skills of the practitioner- I will stick with my current oral surgeon and dentist till they retire and I hope that's many years away.

Even recovery hasn't been bad. Every time the oral surgeon writes me a prescription for Oxy or Hydro. Every time I get by on one dose of OTC meds (if that) and wistfully think about the street value of the prescription before I shred it.;D

So did an oral surgeon actually do the implant work or your dentist. My dentist plans on doing the whole thing by himself. He already did the bone graft work etc. and it has healed nicely.

athena53 07-24-2021 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnski1 (Post 2638625)
So did an oral surgeon actually do the implant work or your dentist. My dentist plans on doing the whole thing by himself. He already did the bone graft work etc. and it has healed nicely.

Oral surgeon- the dentist just does the part of determining the size and color of the prosthetic tooth, ordering and placing it.

explanade 07-24-2021 05:00 PM

Yeah they told me I could go for a few months with the tooth gone and see if I could deal with it or want an implant back there.

Implant it seems is a big boon for dental practices.

Prices are all over the map and the marketing is insane. Practices orient their business around being the Implant Center.

aja8888 07-24-2021 05:49 PM

My oral surgeon did the tooth removal, the minor surgery in the infected gum area, and the insertion of the bone graft material. His next step on 8/2 is to drill and tap the hole for the implant stud and he will install that stud at that time and sew up the area. A visit back to him for an inspection and a look at the work is done shortly thereafter (2 weeks or so).

After a month or so later, my normal dentist will take an impression for the replacement tooth and have it made. When done, a visit to him for the installation will be it.

This is the second implant for me in the last two years or so.

Sunset 07-24-2021 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corn18 (Post 2638604)
I had to have a tooth pulled 2 years ago and have no interest in replacing it. And since it costs thousands of dollars and multiple visits, I really have no interest. Whatís the downside of not getting an implant?

neighboring teeth will lean into the open space, possibility of the opposite jaw tooth erupting (getting longer).
You will look like you come from Alabama :hide:

My Mom sold her car, to pay for her teeth, she always thought it was funny to say "Look at my car" and then smile. :laugh:

explanade 07-24-2021 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunset (Post 2638671)
neighboring teeth will lean into the open space, possibility of the opposite jaw tooth erupting (getting longer).


Is there any study showing that?

People have their wisdom teeth removed.

Why aren't teeth sliding towards the open space in the end?

finnski1 07-24-2021 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2638663)
My oral surgeon did the tooth removal, the minor surgery in the infected gum area, and the insertion of the bone graft material. His next step on 8/2 is to drill and tap the hole for the implant stud and he will install that stud at that time and sew up the area. A visit back to him for an inspection and a look at the work is done shortly thereafter (2 weeks or so).

After a month or so later, my normal dentist will take an impression for the replacement tooth and have it made. When done, a visit to him for the installation will be it.

This is the second implant for me in the last two years or so.

Well you're the second person to say that the oral surgeon did it. Starting to make me want to have a talk with my dentist before scheduling mine.

street 07-24-2021 06:24 PM

I'm itching to BTD! Inching along with full head of steam on the land purchase. Surveying started my attorney has all the details and working that part of the purchase.

I'm pretty excited about this purchase and felt great to be part of surveying the land.

corn18 07-24-2021 06:32 PM

Just bought a gas pressure washer and surface cleaner thingy. My electric pressure washer just didn’t have the oomph I needed.

RobbieB 07-24-2021 06:39 PM

Yeah, me thinks 5-6 HP is the minimum and the pros all use 8 and up.

MRG 07-24-2021 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by explanade (Post 2638674)
Is there any study showing that?



People have their wisdom teeth removed.



Why aren't teeth sliding towards the open space in the end?

My contacts got looser.

aja8888 07-24-2021 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnski1 (Post 2638675)
Well you're the second person to say that the oral surgeon did it. Starting to make me want to have a talk with my dentist before scheduling mine.

The rough breakdown for my work is this (for your reference):

Sedative - $180
Pull tooth - $600
Bone graft material - $450
Implant work (2nd visit) - Sedative, surgery, insert, close - $3200

The dentist will do the new tooth work and from what recall last time was $1,500.

FreeBear 07-24-2021 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnski1 (Post 2638675)
Well you're the second person to say that the oral surgeon did it. Starting to make me want to have a talk with my dentist before scheduling mine.


Make that a third person. DW did 2 implants at just over 6K each. She's extremely pleased with the result, but the process isn't fun. An oral surgeon did the extraction, bone graft, then eventually implant "screw". The general dentist then fitted the visble tooth on top of implant. Seems like specialization is pretty typical these days, not like years ago.

Sunset 07-24-2021 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by explanade (Post 2638674)
Is there any study showing that?

People have their wisdom teeth removed.

Why aren't teeth sliding towards the open space in the end?

I looked but could not find a study, found lots of dental places saying to get a replacement/spacer.

However, wisdom teeth are often removed because their is not enough space for them to come out naturally so the space is smaller than a normal tooth space.

In various comment sections some folks had no problem years later with a space, others found their teeth did move/lean towards the hole/gap.

I did find this 60 Minutes show about teeth removal and how it affects the face of a person, how removing teeth changes the look of a person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvqn...cSRUEOfMDKqx0b

I'd be interested in a study as well , to know is this really an issue or maybe just an issue with certain teeth and not others ?

Since teeth and the jaw are a living thing, and we know braces just by exerting pressure can move teeth, it is quite possible our teeth move to fill a space from various pressures (tongue, chewing, food, lips, etc) since nothing will push back from a space.

tmm99 07-25-2021 03:09 PM

I was going to order some seafood online and realized that I lived close to one of the stores listed, so I went down and bought some sashimi-grade seafood (salmon, tuna) and frozen crab and shrimp - about $150 worth, but no shipping cost as I drove there.

Life is good :dance:

I think I'll go back there and get some lobsters next time...

braumeister 07-25-2021 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnski1 (Post 2638675)
Well you're the second person to say that the oral surgeon did it. Starting to make me want to have a talk with my dentist before scheduling mine.

Definitely the most common situation. Around here, dentists always send their patients to an oral surgeon who specializes in implants. Your dentist may be unusually talented and able to do the whole thing, but it's not generally the case.
https://www.oralsurgeons.com

finnski1 07-25-2021 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2638710)
The rough breakdown for my work is this (for your reference):

Sedative - $180
Pull tooth - $600
Bone graft material - $450
Implant work (2nd visit) - Sedative, surgery, insert, close - $3200

The dentist will do the new tooth work and from what recall last time was $1,500.

Thanks for that. My quote for 2 implants and 2 crowns is about $9200 where yours appears to total $9400, so pretty similar. My dentist did the tooth pull , and bone graft at a cost of about $2000.
I have now had 3 or 4 responses that indicate that an oral surgeon did the implant part whereas my dental practice claims to be able to and has done these. I'm still a little leery and will pursue the oral surgeon angle more. Thanks

Teacher Terry 07-25-2021 05:06 PM

I have all implants on the bottom called a 4 on 4. This was done by a oral surgeon 5 years ago and I haven’t had any issues. Basically 4 very long implants hold the teeth. It costs 33k. I had a regular dentist do the upper because the oral surgeon wanted 50k. That was a big mistake as they all failed. It cost 11k and I convinced him to refund 8k. When all your teeth are implants you lack the biting power of real teeth. It takes me a long time to eat and I have to cut steak into tiny pieces.

athena53 07-25-2021 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teacher Terry (Post 2639191)
It takes me a long time to eat and I have to cut steak into tiny pieces.

Maybe you should be eating wagyu steaks? ;D

tmm99 07-25-2021 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teacher Terry (Post 2639191)
I have all implants on the bottom called a 4 on 4. This was done by a oral surgeon 5 years ago and I havenít had any issues. Basically 4 very long implants hold the teeth. It costs 33k. I had a regular dentist do the upper because the oral surgeon wanted 50k. That was a big mistake as they all failed. It cost 11k and I convinced him to refund 8k. When all your teeth are implants you lack the biting power of real teeth. It takes me a long time to eat and I have to cut steak into tiny pieces.

Oh, I assumed that the implants were as good and sturdy as real teeth, but I guess I was wrong. Maybe the appeal is that the implants are still better than no teeth or dentures...

W2R 07-25-2021 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmm99 (Post 2639200)
Oh, I assumed that the implants were as good and sturdy as real teeth, but I guess I was wrong. Maybe the appeal is that the implants are still better than no teeth or dentures...

I think that it depends on the person, which seems reasonable considering that it is a medical/dental procedure.

I have a number of implants, though not as many as Teacher Terry. I feel for her with all that major work that was required! Anyway, in my case I do have three next to each other with a bridge connecting, plus several solitary implants. My implants are better than and sturdier than my real teeth. For me it's like getting back my teenaged teeth again.

Mine were done by a qualified oral surgeon (who is also qualified as a dentist) and who is best friends with my dentist; they even went to dental school together and they have lunch together once a week. They communicate well with each other about cases like mine.

The oral surgeon did the tooth pulling, bone graft, and implant installation, and my dentist did the crowns months later once they were sure the implants had enough bone grown around them. I liked having mine done by the oral surgeon because his group had much more expensive equipment and experienced surgical staff.

ksr 07-25-2021 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnski1 (Post 2638675)
Well you're the second person to say that the oral surgeon did it. Starting to make me want to have a talk with my dentist before scheduling mine.

I havenít posted about it in this thread, but I just got an implant in May. Extraction and implant were done by an oral surgeon, the tooth/crown will be placed by my regular dentist.

Amethyst 07-25-2021 07:18 PM

GLM, that necklace is gorgeous! I have never seen anyone do that with charms. Usually they just keep adding bracelet after bracelet, till you can't even see their wrists, and the charms are all muddled together.

Could you post a photo of this highly unusual-sounding charm? I'm trying to imagine what a bear in a zoo in a lighthouse must look like. ;D

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLM (Post 2635567)
buying silly charms like a bear at the zoo in a lighthouse

.


explanade 07-25-2021 08:15 PM

How did the dentist or oral surgeons make the case for the implants?

What would have happened if you didn't get the implants?

I was advised to do so about 10 years ago, was dubious and changed dentists. Several of them have not said anything.

Then this new dentist does a panamax and says there's a cyst or gap up in one of them. I don't recall if it was the same tooth that the other dentist advised 10 years ago.

The dentist advised for a crown on another teeth and referred me to a surgeon who gets great reviews, has a Harvard degree but wants like $4400 to extract one tooth and there may be lab fees on top.

Then the implant, they haven't laid out what the costs would be.

Dentist talked about the cyst collapsing the other teeth causing disfigurement.

audreyh1 07-25-2021 08:27 PM

Maybe blowing that dough on dentistry deserves its own thread!

Ronstar 07-25-2021 08:30 PM

Thanks a lot. I cracked a tooth eating dinner tonight while reading this thread. I see a blow that dough dentist visit (or visits) coming.

aja8888 07-25-2021 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2639254)
Maybe blowing that dough on dentistry deserves its own thread!

Given the last few years of pretty much rebuilding my teeth, I'd be a top poster. Let's say a new pickup truck is in my mouth. :laugh:

And I have a sister-in-law who spent way more than i did. :eek:

RobbieB 07-25-2021 08:59 PM

Oh yeah. Go quick before the pain starts.

Teacher Terry 07-25-2021 09:59 PM

I have seen the implants on X-rays and they are very long and deep. They aren’t failing and are very sturdy. I read online that it’s the biting power/force that’s very different with full mouth implants. I went to the best guy in my area for my bottoms. My sister had hers done by a top guy in Chicago and has the same issues. She has more biting power than me because she has them on the top also. I have a denture on top. When you have teeth or individual implants it’s like having a root for each tooth. Total mouth implants usually have 4 on the bottom and 6 on the top.

ncbill 07-26-2021 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2637459)
OK! - Japanese Wagyu A5 tenderloin roast 6 lbs on sale $799.99 delivered for Costco members starting 7/29/21! Thats $200 off.

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch...anese+a5+wagyu

My planned $799.99 purchase from Costco is their Firman Tri-fuel generator.

Then once my electrician adds an interlock, generator breaker, & inlet box to my electric panel I'll have a quick-disconnect added to my natural gas line so I can run the generator w/o ever having to handle or store gasoline.

Crazy how bad shortages are...still waiting on the interlock kit which is just a steel plate with some slots cut into it plus a few standoffs.

corn18 07-26-2021 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncbill (Post 2639429)
My planned $799.99 purchase from Costco is their Firman Tri-fuel generator.

Then once my electrician adds an interlock, generator breaker, & inlet box to my electric panel I'll have a quick-disconnect added to my natural gas line so I can run the generator w/o ever having to handle or store gasoline.

That's a great idea. I may have that done as well.

I just added to my cart and it says $999 in the cart but it shows $799 on the generator page. I am signed in, so not sure why the difference.

The only issue is it's only 5500 running watts for NG vs. 7500 watts on gas. But I have a 5500 watt gas genie now and it runs everything we need except the dryer and a/c.

Maybe it's $799 in the store (they have a note that says it might be cheaper in the warehouse).

Koolau 07-26-2021 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2639254)
Maybe blowing that dough on dentistry deserves its own thread!

Yep. Between DW and I, we'll be Blowing the better part of $7 Grand this summer. Of course, during the pandemic year of 2020, we spent only for new tooth brushes, floss, and high concentration fluoride tooth paste. I guess we're "paying later" as the saying goes. We're replacing crowns, getting enamel and a couple of fillings. From those responding here, sounds like we're getting off "cheap." YMMV

corn18 07-26-2021 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncbill (Post 2639429)
My planned $799.99 purchase from Costco is their Firman Tri-fuel generator.

Then once my electrician adds an interlock, generator breaker, & inlet box to my electric panel I'll have a quick-disconnect added to my natural gas line so I can run the generator w/o ever having to handle or store gasoline.

Crazy how bad shortages are...still waiting on the interlock kit which is just a steel plate with some slots cut into it plus a few standoffs.

I just went to Costco and they had the generator but it was $899. They wouldnít match to online price of $799. And the online price is actually $999. So I passed.

finnski1 07-26-2021 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2639254)
Maybe blowing that dough on dentistry deserves its own thread!

I'm in. As I posted looking at another $9200 (maybe more if I go the oral surgeon route?) on top of the $4000+ I've already spent.;D

ncbill 07-26-2021 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corn18 (Post 2639506)
I just went to Costco and they had the generator but it was $899. They wouldnít match to online price of $799. And the online price is actually $999. So I passed.

IIRC, it goes on sale for that $799.99 price every few months.

I didn't want to buy it until everything else is ready.

corn18 07-26-2021 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncbill (Post 2639622)
IIRC, it goes on sale for that $799.99 price every few months.

I didn't want to buy it until everything else is ready.

Coolio. Let me know if you see it for $799. I'll do the same! I just emailed my electrician so he can put me in the queue for my sub panel and outside plug.

m3bs 07-26-2021 04:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Does this qualify?

cat4ever 07-26-2021 04:29 PM

Just had an implant done by a dentist (not oral surgeon) that specializes in it and couldn't be happier. Out of pocket was way less than what I'm seeing here, somewhere south of 2K. He used a technique where he did the extraction and bone graft at the same appointment.

Happyras 07-26-2021 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3bs (Post 2639691)
Does this qualify?

Well if you mean that really cool lift system, then yes. I would get one to change my oil in the BEEMER, but they do it for free at the dealer with only a minor upsell for $140 wiper blades.:laugh:

Now that Porche, well thats just cooking the dough.....CTD, new term.:dance:

finnski1 07-26-2021 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat4ever (Post 2639692)
Just had an implant done by a dentist (not oral surgeon) that specializes in it and couldn't be happier. Out of pocket was way less than what I'm seeing here, somewhere south of 2K. He used a technique where he did the extraction and bone graft at the same appointment.

Yeah mine does them too. He also did the extraction and bone graft in one visit but it was $2100 just for that and it will be about another $4600 per tooth for implant and crown. Unless I go with an oral surgeon for the implant in which case I don't know the cost but it may be even more.

RobbieB 07-26-2021 05:20 PM

I did the boat deal, this 21 foot Chris Craft is mine!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...92a0169d_o.jpg

Boat in shop now getting prepped for water and I'm doing the insurance and marina berth thing.

Woo-Hoo, my fifth boat - :)

Dtail 07-26-2021 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2639722)
I did the boat deal, this 21 foot Chris Craft is mine!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...92a0169d_o.jpg

Boat in shop now getting prepped for water and I'm doing the insurance and marina berth thing.

Woo-Hoo, my fifth boat - :)

Beautiful boat. Have fun.

finnski1 07-26-2021 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2639722)
I did the boat deal, this 21 foot Chris Craft is mine!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...92a0169d_o.jpg

Boat in shop now getting prepped for water and I'm doing the insurance and marina berth thing.

Woo-Hoo, my fifth boat - :)


Nice! Enjoy. Is that big enough to sleep below?

RobbieB 07-26-2021 05:48 PM

The cuddy is very small, you could but it would be worse than tent camping. I folded myself in there and sat upright, but there's not much room and the portholes are quite small and no deck hatch either.

Yes you could, there's the typical V berth, but not much of one.

jollystomper 07-26-2021 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2639722)
I did the boat deal, this 21 foot Chris Craft is mine!

...

Boat in shop now getting prepped for water and I'm doing the insurance and marina berth thing.

Woo-Hoo, my fifth boat - :)


Congrats!

finnski1 07-26-2021 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2639730)
The cuddy is very small, you could but it would be worse than tent camping. I folded myself in there and sat upright, but there's not much room and the portholes are quite small and no deck hatch either.

Yes you could, there's the typical V berth, but not much of one.

Thanks. I know nothing about boats was just curious. Always thought it would be fun to go on an overnight fishing trip, have a few beers and stare at the ocean.:laugh:

audreyh1 07-26-2021 06:20 PM

Awesome! Where do you float it?

RobbieB 07-26-2021 07:33 PM

California Delta

Ronstar 07-26-2021 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2639722)
I did the boat deal, this 21 foot Chris Craft is mine!......

Nice vessel!

Yoheadden 07-26-2021 08:15 PM

I more like Flushed the dough, rather than BTD when I recently paid $495, after a 10% military discount for a company to snake the main line from my house, to my septic tank in order to clear a blockage. I know $495 isn’t a huge amount, but considering it took the guy less than 40 minutes to do the job, it sure went fast.

audreyh1 07-26-2021 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2639771)

Wow - an inland river delta! Fascinating!

street 07-26-2021 08:26 PM

Nice boat Robbie! When are you going to Baptize it??

A lot of great ways everyone is BTD!!

m3bs >>> that would qualify, nice ride yo got!

ugeauxgirl 07-26-2021 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3bs (Post 2639691)
Does this qualify?

Nice ride!

Scuba 07-26-2021 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2637622)
Well, I really like tenderloin and I find it very flavorful when seared/roasted or grilled. I go for the non-prime.

I also find lobster flavorful enough, but give me king crab any day instead.

Seems like you could steam lobster instead of boiling it?



Agreed, love filet mignon way more than any other beef cut. Center Cut from Trader Joeís are my favorite since I discovered them. So tender and flavorful!

I used to think lobster was my favorite, but Iíve recently decided I prefer king crab. Sweeter and easier!

Scuba 07-26-2021 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2639722)
I did the boat deal, this 21 foot Chris Craft is mine!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...92a0169d_o.jpg

Boat in shop now getting prepped for water and I'm doing the insurance and marina berth thing.

Woo-Hoo, my fifth boat - :)



Nice! Enjoy the boat!!

Scuba 07-27-2021 12:13 AM

We bought a new game table and 4 chairs as part of our remodel about 6 months ago. Have only used them a few times, but Iíve decided I donít love them and found alternative furniture I hope I will like better. Ordered it last week. Will sell the previous furniture but realistically, will lose several thousand on this. But hopefully we will love the new furniture!

audreyh1 07-27-2021 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2637678)
Oh and speaking of shrimp, don't boil them either. Bring water to boil, dump in shrimp and stir gently until a simmer just starts. Then lid the pot and turn off the heat and let 'em coast for 4 minutes.

I usually boil a packet of crab boil spices and a cut squeezed lemon for a while to flavor the water. Dump in the shrimp, stir. Maybe put the lid on for a minute. Stir. By then some of them are already done. I start pulling out the individual shrimp as they form a C shape indicating that they are perfectly done. Stirring occasionally. The water never does return to a boil or even a simmer.

Iím usually boiling large or extra large shrimp.

If the shrimp get past a deep C shape and into an O shape they are overcooked.

Jerry1 07-27-2021 08:13 AM

I don't know Robbie. I pictured you in something more like this::laugh:

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...icture2440.jpg

finnski1 07-27-2021 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry1 (Post 2639928)
I don't know Robbie. I pictured you in something more like this::laugh:

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...icture2440.jpg

I wish people would stop posting pictures of my boat without my permission:). I'd invite Robbie but he might show up with that second tier caviar.:laugh:

street 07-27-2021 09:21 AM

^ ^ I love it! LOL

RobbieB 07-27-2021 10:57 AM

I dunno...

Nice boat, but kinda hard to fish off it eh? Hehe - :)

This is my biggest, heaviest, most powerful and most expensive boat yet. Cost me $6800 bucks. Told ya, I buy old used boats with good motors on them. This is a 1985 Chris Craft Scorpion 210 as far as I can tell. It has a 2005 Johnson 150 HP OB. Also has anchor davit and hydraulic steering, a marine VHF and a chart plotter-GPS-sonar.

I did the insurance thing online, $200/yr. The slip will be about $180/mo. Biggest expense will be gas, about $300 to fill the tank. Ordered up my fishing license online too.

Let the good times roll! Ah float I mean - :)

Koolau 07-27-2021 11:12 AM

Even though I personally would not want the care and feeding of a boat, I'm happy for you RobbieB. You deserve it. I hope you have many years of trouble free operation. Smooth waters to you!

finnski1 07-27-2021 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2640009)
I dunno...

Nice boat, but kinda hard to fish off it eh? Hehe - :)

This is my biggest, heaviest, most powerful and most expensive boat yet. Cost me $6800 bucks. Told ya, I buy old used boats with good motors on them. This is a 1985 Chris Craft Scorpion 210 as far as I can tell. It has a 2005 Johnson 150 HP OB. Also has anchor davit and hydraulic steering, a marine VHF and a chart plotter-GPS-sonar.

I did the insurance thing online, $200/yr. The slip will be about $180/mo. Biggest expense will be gas, about $300 to fill the tank. Ordered up my fishing license online too.

Let the good times roll! Ah float I mean - :)

Wow that seems pretty reasonable to me.

vafoodie 07-27-2021 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLM (Post 2635567)
My "thing" has been silver charms when we travel. My Dear Aunt gave me the silver chain with a birthday charm on my 10th bd after admired hers. After my childhood years of buying silly charms like a bear at the zoo in a lighthouse near the family cabin I stuck to only buying charms when we traveled. Around 2000 it outgrew bracelet form so I turned it into a necklace. This photo is from 2013 We have done a LOT of traveling since then . I probably need to add another row.

Sometimes it is not possible to find a silver charm that is not Pandora. I must admit I usually don't know which palm tree or fish is from which Caribbean Island. Good memories anyhow.

Earrings are my silver sandals "awarded" after our 35th night at a Sandals resort.

This is such a cool idea! I'm stealing it as my bracelet has outgrown itself.

audreyh1 07-27-2021 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry1 (Post 2639928)
I don't know Robbie. I pictured you in something more like this::laugh:

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...icture2440.jpg

If I had a boat like that I’d probably get rid of the house!

P.S. and be on my way to Hawaii!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2640009)
Nice boat, but kinda hard to fish off it eh? Hehe - :

Whaddya mean? Deep sea fishing while you travel - great stuff!

$6800 - great deal! The boat dealer really cleaned it up - it looks brand new!

RobbieB 07-27-2021 11:48 AM

Thanks. Yeah, it's pretty clean compared to others I've owned. Motor is in great shape - :)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...8f1a7038_o.jpg

audreyh1 07-27-2021 11:51 AM

Awesome! What do you fish for?

Dtail 07-27-2021 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2640058)
Thanks. Yeah, it's pretty clean compared to others I've owned. Motor is in great shape - :)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...8f1a7038_o.jpg

I'm not sure they even make new 21 footers anymore.
Good price and it looks great.

ivinsfan 07-27-2021 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2640009)
I dunno...

Nice boat, but kinda hard to fish off it eh? Hehe - :)

This is my biggest, heaviest, most powerful and most expensive boat yet. Cost me $6800 bucks. Told ya, I buy old used boats with good motors on them. This is a 1985 Chris Craft Scorpion 210 as far as I can tell. It has a 2005 Johnson 150 HP OB. Also has anchor davit and hydraulic steering, a marine VHF and a chart plotter-GPS-sonar.

I did the insurance thing online, $200/yr. The slip will be about $180/mo. Biggest expense will be gas, about $300 to fill the tank. Ordered up my fishing license online too.

Let the good times roll! Ah float I mean - :)


Wait a second... all that build-up over a 6800 boat. I'm disappointed in you Robbie.:dance:

street 07-27-2021 04:39 PM

What happened to the Boston Whaler Robbie?

RobbieB 07-27-2021 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2640064)
Awesome! What do you fish for?

Cats and stripers so far. But sturgeon and salmon also run in the delta.

RobbieB 07-27-2021 04:44 PM

Boston whaler was promised but my boat guy wasn't informed. So that deal fell through, but this one didn't - :)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.