Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Blow That Dough! -2021 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/blow-that-dough-2021-a-107327.html)

Time2 11-30-2021 07:39 AM

Drove 400 miles to visit my daughter over Thanksgiving and the weekend.
We bought everything, meals, alcohol, etc, and the big thing, we filled up her gas tank! :)

MBAustin 11-30-2021 09:21 AM

Finally was able to get my new iPhone 13 mini to replace my 4-year-old 8, which had been getting flakier and flakier over the past few months. The Apple store here was out of stock every time I could get there over the past month, but had it available yesterday. It's nice - I like the face id and having 128gb of storage as I'm a terrible packrat with photos, etc.

Teacher Terry 12-02-2021 01:17 AM

After 9 years my tv is making static noises. It started with only the news but yesterday expanded to most shows. Decided to buy a smart LG tv for 900. It arrives on the 10th.

Sunset 12-03-2021 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolau (Post 2696815)
I was watching our building maintenance folks putting up the lights at our building. One guy was standing on the next to top rung of his 10 foot step ladder (on one foot) bending over the top of a tree to set the lights. Scared me. NOT what I want to do in my retirement. Just on our lanai, I too would pay someone else if DW would let me - heh, heh, or, better yet, skip the whole thing! :laugh: YMMV

DW has stopped me from putting ours along the roof since last year. Now I just throw the lights onto the bushes.
Done in 20 minutes, and I really love the look of lights buried under a few inches of snow (a glowing area). :dance:

BOBOT 12-04-2021 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunset (Post 2698298)
DW has stopped me from putting ours along the roof since last year. Now I just throw the lights onto the bushes.
Done in 20 minutes, and I really love the look of lights buried under a few inches of snow (a glowing area). :dance:

Check out today's (12/04) Pickles comic:
https://www.gocomics.com/pickles/2021/12/04

goingtotravel 12-05-2021 02:34 PM

Latest purchase was a new Christmas tree (artificial) with LED lighting to replace one that we had for over 15 years. $850 for a 9' tall extra wide model. Hoping this one lasts as long as the one we replaced.

DrRoy 12-07-2021 06:08 AM

We started taking a month long trip out west (with the dog) after RE in 2017. As I accumulate more photography gear, the car is hard to pack with everything that we want to carry for that long. We have a 2018 Honda CR-V with fairly good cargo capacity. We also get quite good gas mileage; ~35 mpg highway on these trips. We don't really need a different car, it just would be nice to have more space, but we're not willing to give up the good fuel efficiency that we get.

Earlier in the year I took a look at the vehicles out there, and could only find one that was bigger than ours, but had about the same gas mileage. The problem was, you can't get one in just the configuration and color that we wanted, and the company doesn't accept orders at present either. We waited a couple months to see if orders might open up again, but no. We are getting within a few months of our next trip, too. Realizing this, we loosened up a little on the configuration that we would accept, and yesterday I called around to 8 dealers in our area to see what they might have coming in their vehicle allocations.

I thought that we would still have to wait for something to come up, but one of them had a car coming in a few weeks that was really close, just a few extra things that we didn't need. DW and I talked it over, and that afternoon we called this dealer back and put a deposit on a 2022 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited.

It is a lot to spend just to have some more room, but part of the thinking is that in the current used car market, we can get almost 80% of what we spent on the CR-V four years ago. That definitely helps.

MBAustin 12-07-2021 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrRoy (Post 2700224)

DW and I talked it over, and that afternoon we called this dealer back and put a deposit on a 2022 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited.

My sister got a 2021 Highlander Hybrid (slightly lower trim line) and absolutely loves it. Pro tip: check out online forums for hybrids to learn the techniques to get the best mileage in different driving situations. (I'm a Prius driver and use PriusChat, but I'm sure there are others.) Enjoy!

RetireRay 12-07-2021 11:32 PM

Having new windows put into the house! Blowing that dough!

cat4ever 12-08-2021 10:04 AM

Same here, on day 3 of the install. $22K for the whole house, the contractor windows installed when the house was built were awful.

ugeauxgirl 12-09-2021 09:06 AM

I wrote charity checks today. Big ones. [emoji16]

Koolau 12-09-2021 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl (Post 2701052)
I wrote charity checks today. Big ones. [emoji16]

Yeah, same here. End-of-year is always big for us. We must get 50 requests in the mail, but always have our old standbys that we double up on in December - check book permitting. Biggest BTD category by far. YMMV

old medic 12-10-2021 07:02 AM

It might not be a lot for some, but it is a BTD event for me.....
A group of our friends are beer connoisseurs, and a couple have had the chance to sample Sam Adams Utopias.... so in celebration my retirement I have been hunting a bottle to share with them at our next gathering. After 2 months of asking, a bottle has been located. Never had I ever thought I would spend nearly $300 on a bottle of beer...

cat4ever 12-10-2021 07:13 AM

$300 for a bottle of beer? I believe that could be the poster child for BTD.

braumeister 12-10-2021 07:17 AM

Utopias would be placed at the very extreme end of any spectrum that contains "beer" so it's not at all what anyone would expect. But for a beer lover, I would agree that it's worth doing once. I've had it a number of times, although I've never actually paid for it. ;D

I happen to know the guy who originally developed it and he had some great stories about the process, some of them quite funny.

old medic 12-10-2021 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braumeister (Post 2701378)
Utopias would be placed at the very extreme end of any spectrum that contains "beer" so it's not at all what anyone would expect. But for a beer lover, I would agree that it's worth doing once. I've had it a number of times, although I've never actually paid for it. ;D

I happen to know the guy who originally developed it and he had some great stories about the process, some of them quite funny.

As a Homebrewer myself I have loved reading about the history behind Utopias, And the aging process behind it... At our last gathering we opened an Imperial stout from 2013.... DELICIOUS

finnski1 12-10-2021 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat4ever (Post 2701374)
$300 for a bottle of beer? I believe that could be the poster child for BTD.

Yeah but... It is 28% alcohol!:)

Luvtoride 12-10-2021 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old medic (Post 2701370)
A group of our friends are beer connoisseurs, and a couple have had the chance to sample Sam Adams Utopias.... so in celebration my retirement I have been hunting a bottle to share with them at our next gathering. After 2 months of asking, a bottle has been located. Never had I ever thought I would spend nearly $300 on a bottle of beer...

$300 for ONE bottle of beer? REALLY? That's insane! I hope its as good as its supposed to be for that price. Why so expensive? Obviously they didn't make much of it and it was sold out quickly. ENJOY!

That almost makes my BTD spend seem tame in comparison. I'm a big luxury watch fan (as I think I've stated here before) and like a hard to find beer, I'm always on the look for Rolex watches from an AUTHORIZED DEALER where you actually pay MSRP vs. inflated secondary market prices.
A few weeks ago I walked into a Jewelry Store in NJ that we have NOT dealt with before but is a Rolex AD. As in most Rolex jewelers the cases were bascially bare of any watches. We were speaking to the owner about which Rolex watches we were interested in. When I mentioned the model I was looking for he left momentarily and came back with a Watch box. It had the model I was looking for (for those who care, a SeaDweller two tone gold and stainless). I tried it on and it fit perfectly and looked great! I asked him if it was AVAILABLE for sale (as most of these are spoken for by customers waiting for months) and he said, YES, it was available. I was in shock!

I purchased the watch and we put in an order for a watch for my wife (yes, we're crazy) which he said might be months before it would arrive.

Yesterday, I went to a local jewelry store that we've been dealing with for a long time that sells pre-owned Rolex watches. I showed the owner my watch and he immediately offered me $5,000 above the price I paid to buy the watch from me (that's how HOT the resale secondary market is for these watches). I turned him down, but I know that I could sell this watch anytime for more than I paid (and probably more than this premium was time goes on).

I guess this purchase could go into "Alternative Investments" as luxury watches are a HOT asset class right now.

Cassius King 12-10-2021 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old medic (Post 2701370)

Dogfish Head just released their World Wide Stout aged in Utopias Barrels as well. $40/4pack here, worth a pickup as well.

corn18 12-13-2021 09:48 AM

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...AC_SL1500_.jpg

Bought my DW a cuckoo clock. A really expensive cuckoo clock.

RunningBum 12-13-2021 12:10 PM

Booked a trip to Big Sky for my son and I. 5 days of skiing, a Snow coach day trip in Yellowstone, and a dog sled trip. I was all set to pay about $3500 for slope side lodging at Big Sky for the 4 nights we'd be up there, but that place was taken while we were deciding. Settled for a 2BR condo on the shuttle line with ski access back in for about $2500. Not many choices up there. A few hotel style rooms, and we'd rather have some space so we aren't on top of each other all week, and a couple of extravagant huge houses, that are not ski in/out.

Cobra59 12-13-2021 01:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Continued to feed my obsession for two seat sports cars with the purchase of a 2021 Corvette HTC (hard top convertible). It goes with the Cobra replica that we built a few years ago, a Miata at our house in Florida and a 1988 Alfa Romeo Spider. Just about finished the 1953 Chevy truck, but it has three seats and is not a sports car LOL

street 12-13-2021 04:50 PM

Cobra59, a great hobby and what beautiful autos!

RunningBum, not sure when you are booked for your trip but no new snow the few days. Ten inches in the last week thou.

RunningBum 12-13-2021 05:56 PM

End of February, first week in March. Hopefully plenty of snow by then. If the double black chutes are closed, I won't even notice!

street 12-13-2021 07:21 PM

^ should be good by then.

tmm99 12-13-2021 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corn18 (Post 2702698)
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...AC_SL1500_.jpg

Bought my DW a cuckoo clock. A really expensive cuckoo clock.

How cute!!

Ronstar 12-14-2021 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra59 (Post 2702808)
Continued to feed my obsession for two seat sports cars with the purchase of a 2021 Corvette HTC (hard top convertible). It goes with the Cobra replica that we built a few years ago, a Miata at our house in Florida and a 1988 Alfa Romeo Spider. Just about finished the 1953 Chevy truck, but it has three seats and is not a sports car LOL

Exellent way to BTD!

Christine 12-14-2021 09:48 AM

Some really nice lines there, Cobra59 - congrats!

RobbieB 12-14-2021 11:26 PM

4 pounds King Crab (8 legs) large leg middle only, no body and no knuckle and "fingers", just the big meaty centers - :)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...80e714d7_o.jpg

Four hundred bucks shipped.

Golden sunsets 12-15-2021 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2703689)
4 pounds King Crab (8 legs) large leg middle only, no body and no knuckle and "fingers", just the big meaty centers - :)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...80e714d7_o.jpg

Four hundred bucks shipped.

Where from Robbie? And how many meals do you think the 4 pounds will serve? ( 4?, 6?)

Sent from my SM-T510 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

street 12-15-2021 07:24 AM

^ looks great!

Dreamer 12-15-2021 07:40 AM

Ordered a 24 inch Apple iMac with the M1 chip at the end of November. This replaced my iMac that was mid 2010. Boy, there is a world of difference. I don't know why I waited so long. It is green, my favorite color.

I also ordered the Apple iWatches Series 7 for myself and DH. They are wrapped and under the Christmas tree. We will have to learn about them, since we have never had them.

lem1955 12-15-2021 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamer (Post 2703738)
Ordered a 24 inch Apple iMac with the M1 chip at the end of November. This replaced my iMac that was mid 2010. Boy, there is a world of difference. I don't know why I waited so long. It is green, my favorite color.

I also ordered the Apple iWatches Series 7 for myself and DH. They are wrapped and under the Christmas tree. We will have to learn about them, since we have never had them.

You will love the watches! There is an endless amount of learning but right off the bat, they are fun.

lem1955 12-15-2021 09:14 AM

We ordered a BeeLine Rug Hooking Cutter tool in May. It finally came in December. We can stop borrowing cutters from others or buying wool strips pre-cut. Hobbies reign!

Ronstar 12-15-2021 09:50 AM

Ordered an equatorial mount for my telescope and another 18 ga nailer. Just in case I need 2.

Chuckanut 12-15-2021 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamer (Post 2703738)
Ordered a 24 inch Apple iMac with the M1 chip at the end of November. This replaced my iMac that was mid 2010. Boy, there is a world of difference. I don't know why I waited so long.

You were waiting for that M1 chip! Congratulations. I replaced my old iMac in 2019 with an Intel chipped version. Now I am waiting for the M5 chip. ;D

I almost decided to replace my aging MacBook Air for a new one with the M1 chip, but the MacBook Air still works very well, other than being a bit slow now and then. So I will keep it. and wait for the M2 chip or beyond..............

Happyras 12-15-2021 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden sunsets (Post 2703718)
Where from Robbie? And how many meals do you think the 4 pounds will serve? ( 4?, 6?)

Sent from my SM-T510 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

My wife wanted the annual 10# box of Alaska (not Chilean) King Crab. It used to be $18/lb at Costco, but went up to $75/lb. I looked on line and could have it delivered $600/10lbs from Costco. I still choked.

WE went there a few days ago and spoke to the butcher staff who pulled a box priced at $380/10#. All very large legs, but not the trimmed legs. I was sort of happy at the lower price, now 2X what we paid last year. I would be happy to buy another box and trim down the pieces to sell for $100/lb:popcorn:

RobbieB 12-15-2021 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden sunsets (Post 2703718)

I ordered from Great Alaska Seafood, previous customer.

You could get 8 as a half pound is a good serving of fish and there is a high meat to shell ratio with these.

street 12-15-2021 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronstar (Post 2703785)
Ordered an equatorial mount for my telescope and another 18 ga nailer. Just in case I need 2.

Now, how many 18 ga nailers does one man need?? Just one more!

Lol I like it and another great way to BTD.

RobbieB 12-15-2021 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happyras (Post 2703856)
My wife wanted the annual 10# box of Alaska (not Chilean) King Crab. It used to be $18/lb at Costco, but went up to $75/lb. I looked on line and could have it delivered $600/10lbs from Costco. I still choked.

WE went there a few days ago and spoke to the butcher staff who pulled a box priced at $380/10#. All very large legs, but not the trimmed legs. I was sort of happy at the lower price, now 2X what we paid last year. I would be happy to buy another box and trim down the pieces to sell for $100/lb:popcorn:

I hope all goes well. I'd be kind of leery about the low priced box. Been sitting in the back of the freezer for 6 months? Got freezer burn? You'll find out.

Koolau 12-15-2021 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra59 (Post 2702808)

Here, I JUST about got over my lust for a C-8! I'll have to go through withdrawal again. Thanks so much! :laugh:

explanade 12-15-2021 10:28 PM

How do you cook crab?

Boil it?

Or some kind of brine or broth for flavor?

RobbieB 12-16-2021 01:55 AM

If it's red it's already cooked, just need to thaw and warm up. Steam, bake or grill.

FIREd 12-16-2021 03:09 AM

I don't often post on this thread, but 2021 was a year of big splurges for me. It felt a bit unreasonable but the numbers still look good so... Trip to Paris, first class (it's a train ride away for me so not that much of a splurge to upgrade), 5* boutique hotel, nice restaurants. I bought myself a fancy watch that had been on my wishlist for 20 years. I also purchased a new iPad Pro 12.9" to replace a sightly older 11" one that still worked just fine (I gave the older one to my sister and made her day).

captain3d 12-16-2021 09:50 AM

Brora 38 year old whisky

f35phixer 12-16-2021 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain3d (Post 2704230)
Brora 38 year old whisky

Love Scotch but don't love it that much :)

Enjoy.

bmcgonig 12-16-2021 05:38 PM

Quote:

Brora 38 year old whisky

Wow.. had to look it up. $100 a shot or thereabouts. How do you drink it? Sip it straight up? Three drops of water?

RobbieB 12-16-2021 07:10 PM

There was a covid delay in my favorite Oregon Chestnut source, but it has cleared and they are now shipping. My bag should be here Monday.

Not really a BTD, more an annual holiday treat and worth every penny, have yourself a Merry Bob Cratchit Christmas with 5 pounds of the best!

RobbieB 12-16-2021 08:39 PM

Ordered up 100 grams Russian Ossetra and a half pound of Paddlefish from Olma. Twenty one percent off deal on the prime stuff. Free shipping over $300.

Good appetizers next week - :)

Helen 12-16-2021 09:34 PM

We had a new outside door installed today, it's been 18 months since we began the project. The front door was screwed up, but the company made good on it. They are sending it back to the dealer to fix the problem. We are leaving for the winter so it won't be installed until May.

I think the total cost for both doors will be $6K plus some change.

stephenson 12-16-2021 10:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
2015 Porsche 911 Carrera S cabriolet with 32k miles. White with beige interior. PDK.

Drove newer and new 911s (all turbocharged) but didn't like the smoothness ... liked the rawness of the naturally aspirated engine. Sounds incredible.

Traded our 2010 Saab Aero convertible ... sad as it was a great car. Tires, fluids, and one turn signal bulb!

Helen 12-16-2021 10:29 PM

^^^That's a lot more exciting than my new door! Enjoy.

Out-to-Lunch 12-16-2021 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2704522)
Ordered up 100 grams Russian Ossetra and a half pound of Paddlefish from Olma. Twenty one percent off deal on the prime stuff. Free shipping over $300.

Good appetizers next week - :)

Is it really "BTD" if you have to resort to discount sales and free shipping? ;D:laugh:

RobbieB 12-16-2021 11:11 PM

Hey, any excuse is a good excuse eh?

Out-to-Lunch 12-16-2021 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2704584)
Hey, any excuse is a good excuse eh?

Absolutely! Enjoy. :dance:

captain3d 12-17-2021 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f35phixer (Post 2704245)
Love Scotch but don't love it that much :)

Enjoy.

It is getting split with some other whisky nerds at least

captain3d 12-17-2021 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmcgonig (Post 2704448)
Wow.. had to look it up. $100 a shot or thereabouts. How do you drink it? Sip it straight up? Three drops of water?

Yeah this type of whisky is straight in a nerdy Glencairn glass with a drop of water and a lot of time.

Livin Large in MT 12-17-2021 12:18 PM

Maybe our TV's are turning on us and trying to tell us to stop watching!!!!

Luvtoride 12-18-2021 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain3d (Post 2704742)
Yeah this type of whisky is straight in a nerdy Glencairn glass with a drop of water and a lot of time.

It sounds outstanding (Iím not a whiskey drinker) but is it really worth the price?
Iím a Tequila drinker and I wonít pay for some of the high end Extra Anejo tequilas out there. I have found many reasonably priced bottles that are just fine for me and my friends/ family to sip!
Enjoy!

RunningBum 12-18-2021 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livin Large in MT (Post 2704753)
Maybe our TV's are turning on us and trying to tell us to stop watching!!!!

Huh? Using the quote button is best when you are referring to something, especially when it's not the previous post.

captain3d 12-19-2021 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luvtoride (Post 2705249)
It sounds outstanding (Iím not a whiskey drinker) but is it really worth the price?
Iím a Tequila drinker and I wonít pay for some of the high end Extra Anejo tequilas out there. I have found many reasonably priced bottles that are just fine for me and my friends/ family to sip!
Enjoy!

No not worth $2500 from a taste perspective. It is equal to other $500 whiskies though [emoji3]. The rest is closed distillery/history/collectible mark up.

Like anything you can get 70% of the experience for a fraction of the price.

Glen Scotia 15 year is a wonderful whisky for $80

RobbieB 12-19-2021 12:59 AM

I'm going to Bevmo to get My Christmas bottle of Don Julio 1942 for $130 / fifth.

Got at 10 buck coupon and another for New Years - :)

dixonge 12-19-2021 07:38 AM

been blowing that dough lately, but not in ways I would prefer. Roadside service charged us exorbitantly for replacing a blown tire, then we bought another one to match (RV, dual rear wheels). Tire prices have gone up! Spent money on an RV park for a month in Arizona instead of our preferred boondocking experience. Drove a lot and paid a lot more for gas this last couple of months.

To balance this out, we spent even *more* money by upgrading our phones to iPhone 13 models. But we set it up on monthly payments. Also recently traded in the Mac Mini and Macbook Air for a new M1 Macbook Air. So there. Much dough has been blown!

street 12-19-2021 08:20 AM

You people buying that high priced fire water, are just peeing your money away. Lol

skyking1 12-19-2021 10:33 AM

I brought home carrot cake to DW from the restaurant that I am working on, and will do so every day this coming week.
It is probably the best we have ever had. My version of the 5 days of christmas.

Koolau 12-19-2021 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by street (Post 2705506)
You people buying that high priced fire water, are just peeing your money away. Lol

Yep! Like beer, they only rent that stuff. :laugh:

RobbieB 12-19-2021 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by street (Post 2705506)

All you Tequila lovers out there, check out Old Town Tequila. I had no idea there were so many in Mexico. Add tequila's smoky cousin Mezcal to the mix too and other "agave liquors" and there are hundreds of options.

oldphd 12-19-2021 03:42 PM

Last year about this time we decided to BTD on an overnight order of fresh stone crab and key west pinks from the FL Keys since we didn't travel there. Figured that while expensive, it was cheaper than the trip, we enjoyed it so much we did it again in March for my birthday. :)

This past we week we did it again! Little under $400 got us 6 lbs of stone crab, 2 lbs of key west pink shrimp, and some extras (smoked fish dip, mustard sauce, a key lime pie...), and overnighted to our door. Worked out to 2 dinners of stone crab, 1 dinner of shrimp, 2 lunches of a few shrimp and fish dip, and 2 breakfasts of stone crab/avocado omelettes. And we're still working on the fish dip. And the pie is in the freezer for sometime down the road. Mmmm, Mmmm, good!:dance:

We called it our xmas present to each other, since we buy whatever we want/need and don't really need more stuff to clutter the house.

PaunchyPirate 12-19-2021 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyking1 (Post 2705596)
I brought home carrot cake to DW from the restaurant that I am working on, and will do so every day this coming week.
It is probably the best we have ever had. My version of the 5 days of christmas.

OMG. I would be in heaven. Good carrot cake is my dessert weakness.

street 12-19-2021 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolau (Post 2705696)
Yep! Like beer, they only rent that stuff. :laugh:

LOL! Yep, down the drain it goes.

jcfradio 12-19-2021 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain3d (Post 2704742)

Arggghh! A whisky like that shouldn't need any water (I am "neat only" whisky guy ;D). I still have a bottle of 1982 Brora that I bought in 2002 right at the Brora distillery, which was then owned by Clynelish. It is saved for special occasions. My go to favorite whisky is still Longrow 14 year old Campbellton malt.

street 12-19-2021 08:50 PM

^ yeah water will rust the pipes, so drink whiskey straight! Lol

NW-Bound 12-19-2021 09:13 PM

Quote:

Brora 38 year old whisky

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmcgonig (Post 2704448)

I had to look it up too. At $2680 a bottle at Total Wine, and 17 shots in a bottle, that's $158/shot.

I don't think I can love any booze at that price. About $10/shot is my limit.

captain3d 12-19-2021 11:54 PM

Blow That Dough! -2021

At that price they are definitely not Ďshotsí. Expect a 35ml dram to last an hour or two. 30mins in the glass before you even taste.

See proper nerd stuff

Also the bottle will last many years

RobbieB 12-20-2021 12:18 AM

Yeah, the great thing with spirits is they keep a long time. Keep out of sunlight, keep the cap on and don't worry about the (normal) temperature.

Good spirits are something I enjoy in my advancing years. Good flavor and no burn. I don't buy booze under $30 unless I know I like it.

Cheap booze was back in my working days.

captain3d 12-20-2021 12:31 AM

And a little wine preserver gas when the level gets low or decant to a smaller bottle with less air.

Expensive bottles are for people who donít want to drink too much [emoji3]

RobbieB 12-20-2021 12:40 AM

Yeah, I agree. I just found out after storing a lot of bottles in the shed for a couple years (removed the bar) and have been "going through" the stash - :)

captain3d 12-20-2021 12:46 AM

Haha nice to have a shed stash

RobbieB 12-20-2021 01:03 AM

Yeah.

I'mma gonna try to not have one again for a while. Was part of the whole "home improvement - remodel" thing.

NW-Bound 12-20-2021 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain3d (Post 2705909)
At that price they are definitely not ‘shots’. Expect a 35ml dram to last an hour or two. 30mins in the glass before you even taste.

See proper nerd stuff

Also the bottle will last many years

I never "knock back" a shot, even with common booze. It's barbaric.

I am a Cognac drinker and have the right glasses for sipping. But I cannot make a shot last an hour. Not even 5 minutes. I am too impatient. Good thing I limit myself to $10/shot.

Stormy Kromer 12-20-2021 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2705910)
Yeah, the great thing with spirits is they keep a long time. Keep out of sunlight, keep the cap on and don't worry about the (normal) temperature.

Good spirits are something I enjoy in my advancing years. Good flavor and no burn. I don't buy booze under $30 unless I know I like it.

RobbieB, You are my hero.

captain3d 12-20-2021 11:20 AM

Blow That Dough! -2021

I always associate Ďshotí with a single gulp. Also shot glasses are terrible if you want to sip

Koolau 12-20-2021 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2705910)

Yep, that's when we actually needed the stuff!

BubbaChris 12-21-2021 09:33 PM

They arenít winnings until you leave the table and cash out! So Iím using some of that logic to avoid being too frugal in ER.

Weíre staying for a month in an ownership RV resort, renting from the lotís owner. This is the longest weíve booked for a single spot since getting into RVing almost 8 years ago. DW was worried weíd get bored or have other challenges. Not in the least, I think there have only been 3 naps since getting here on the 1st.

We stayed a week at a very different ownership RV resort years ago and it planted the seed to consider ownership somewhere down the road. Well, down the road is happening (if the pieces fall into place). We found a For Sale by Owner lot and struck a deal, and Iím trying to find a title company to take on the details.

What really qualifies as BTD is the deal is a move-in ready package with a large fifth wheel trailer too. It was purchased in early 2020 and moved in place by the dealer and hasnít rolled a foot since then. We donít Ďneedí a second RV, but the possibilities were too fun to pass up. The new one has an extra half-bath and a dual vanity master bath. The lotís location in the park means we only have a direct neighbor on the side away from the door.

We could flip the RV today and come out okay, but even if we make that choice in another year or two the experience will likely be worth the depreciation. We have a nephew who recently bought a traditional vacation home in the same town, so weíll have the opportunity for family time in addition to play time.

Wish us luck on getting this to the finish line (or really the official staring line for us)!

Best regards,
Chris

RobbieB 12-21-2021 09:36 PM

Going out to see a 33 foot Chris Craft on Friday - :)

street 12-21-2021 09:50 PM

^ to buy!

bmcgonig 12-21-2021 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcfradio (Post 2705878)
Arggghh! A whisky like that shouldn't need any water (I am "neat only" whisky guy ;D). I still have a bottle of 1982 Brora that I bought in 2002 right at the Brora distillery, which was then owned by Clynelish. It is saved for special occasions. My go to favorite whisky is still Longrow 14 year old Campbellton malt.

I always thought that as well about drinking it straight, but the best distillery will recommend tiny tiny amounts of water.

bmcgonig 12-21-2021 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2705923)
I never "knock back" a shot, even with common booze. It's barbaric.

I am a Cognac drinker and have the right glasses for sipping. But I cannot make a shot last an hour. Not even 5 minutes. I am too impatient. Good thing I limit myself to $10/shot.

Recommend a really good smooth cognac? Iíve had the regular XOs etc, but wondering what you prefer.

RobbieB 12-21-2021 10:46 PM

Yes, of course!

Guy needs to move, needs to sell, price is below market and here I am - :)

Wants 25 grand for the boat, head, sinks, kitchen, stereo, sleeps 3. Parked in a slip that costs less than the storage shed I was renting.

captain3d 12-22-2021 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcfradio (Post 2705878)

Neat only is an unnecessary restriction. Whisky is 50% water any way [emoji3]

That Longrow 14 sherry is a monster. Like chewing on fireworks. Lovely 🥃

RobbieB 12-22-2021 01:21 AM

I kinda like the 60% water stuff better. Once it goes past 86 proof it get a little too strong for my pipes - :)

DrRoy 12-22-2021 06:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We didn't really need it. Our 2018 CR-V with 63K miles was doing fine. It was just getting cramped when we travelled out west for a month every spring, and then bought stuff to bring home. We bring the dog too, and she takes up about half of the rear seat. I carry a lot of photography and hiking gear. We also loved the 34-5 mpg we would get on these trips. With all the miles, that was important to us.

There was only one vehicle that had more cargo room with the same mileage - a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. We liked the Limited AWD in pearl. But dealers have nothing available and you can't place orders, either. For a couple months we had a few dealers looking, but they couldn't get what we wanted. Now and then they would get allocated a vehicle, but we were not willing to settle for something we were not happy with.

On Dec. 5 we decided to revise what was Ok with us, and I started calling around again with the update. We were calling as far as 1 1/2 hours away. The second closest dealer had just gotten their new allocation a few hours before, and there was a 2022 model that was a 98% fit. If we hadn't happened to call just when we did they would have gone to their waiting list. We put a deposit on it and picked it up Monday. :dance:
It didn't hurt that we sold the CR-V for 90% of what we paid for it.

street 12-22-2021 06:13 AM

^ that is a beauty.

street 12-22-2021 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2706951)
Yes, of course!

Wants 25 grand for the boat, head, sinks, kitchen, stereo, sleeps 3. Parked in a slip that costs less than the storage shed I was renting.

Wow!
You might get into a cabin/sleeper cheaper than you paid for the first boat, when you sell it.

Venturer 12-22-2021 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrRoy (Post 2706992)
We didn't really need it. Our 2018 CR-V with 63K miles was doing fine. It was just getting cramped when we travelled out west for a month every spring, and then bought stuff to bring home. We bring the dog too, and she takes up about half of the rear seat. I carry a lot of photography and hiking gear. We also loved the 34-5 mpg we would get on these trips. With all the miles, that was important to us.

There was only one vehicle that had more cargo room with the same mileage - a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. We liked the Limited AWD in pearl. But dealers have nothing available and you can't place orders, either. For a couple months we had a few dealers looking, but they couldn't get what we wanted. Now and then they would get allocated a vehicle, but we were not willing to settle for something we were not happy with.

On Dec. 5 we decided to revise what was Ok with us, and I started calling around again with the update. We were calling as far as 1 1/2 hours away. The second closest dealer had just gotten their new allocation a few hours before, and there was a 2022 model that was a 98% fit. If we hadn't happened to call just when we did they would have gone to their waiting list. We put a deposit on it and picked it up Monday. :dance:
It didn't hurt that we sold the CR-V for 90% of what we paid for it.

Good looking vehicle,my wife's 2019 Toy HiHY is going in for her last 2yr. complimentary service the 10th of Jan. with only 13300 miles on it, she will be driving it for a long time to come. The last time we were in they wanted to know if she would like to sell it or trade it because a lot of people were looking for one like it. She said no way, try me in about 10 years.:laugh:

NW-Bound 12-22-2021 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmcgonig (Post 2706948)
Recommend a really good smooth cognac? I’ve had the regular XOs etc, but wondering what you prefer.

Among the XO of the big names like Hennessy, Remy Martin, Martell, etc... I don't have a preference. My palate is not that fine.

More than 10 years ago, my younger brothers and I had a blind taste after a holiday dinner. After a round of blind tasting of different bottles, we revisited the XO, VSOP, and VS bottles of the same house, and agreed that after a few shots we could still tell the inferior VS from the higher grades, but the XO and VSOP were getting a lot closer.

We did a repeat blind taste again a few years ago, this time with our sons and sons-in-law participating. My son and son-in-law preferred the bottle of Remy Martin Centaure that I brought back from the town of Cognac (because this bottle is harder to find in the US). I could not tell the difference with the other bottle of Remy Martin XO. The guide at the Remy Martin cellar told me that the Centaure was a different blend for a different flavor. It was lost on me. My son on the other hand could pick out the Centaure every time in a blind taste (I was dubious and made him try). Maybe I could do the same when not stuffed full of food and so much drink.

But back on your question of "smoothness", the French XOs bottles of $150+ are all smooth as a baby's a** to me. And after the first couple of shots, slip me another shot of VSOP of 1/3 the price, and I would not notice.

PS. Just now looked and saw that Total Wine has the Remy Martin Tercet, which must be a new blend. I am not excited to try it out though with my worn-out palate.

RobbieB 12-23-2021 12:53 PM

I think this Camus was my fav back in the day. Must be popular, they are out of stock.

skyking1 12-23-2021 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2706951)
Yes, of course!

Hopefully it looks good Robbie. I wish I were closer to check that out. Dad and I built boats from designs. I watch those ads and do a bit of dreaming, but ultimately it fits in the category of not quite a thing for us.
What vintage and power? Would you sell the other boat soon or go the route of a personal flotilla?

Kabowest 12-23-2021 01:12 PM

Well, somewhere in between crab legs and a ski trip, I finally bought a 3D printer. So far I've printed countless useless items, but it's fun and keeps me busy. :-)

RobbieB 12-23-2021 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyking1 (Post 2707667)
Hopefully it looks good Robbie. I wish I were closer to check that out. Dad and I built boats from designs. I watch those ads and do a bit of dreaming, but ultimately it fits in the category of not quite a thing for us.
What vintage and power? Would you sell the other boat soon or go the route of a personal flotilla?

If I end up with the new one, I'll probably sell the current one as it is bigger than needed for a "fishing boat", but too small to overnight. The 33 footer has a stove, shower, macerator toilet, sinks, fridge, stuff to be comfy. The 33 is a 1975 and has twin 350's inboard with V drives, dual rudders, and flying bridge, and radar. Also anchor winch.

Then get me a smaller "fishing" boat.

The 33 is seaworthy, I wouldn't worry about taking it out the golden gate.