Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Blow That Dough! -2021 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/blow-that-dough-2021-a-107327.html)

audreyh1 02-10-2021 08:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I wasn’t able to pass up these prime beef “Dino Ribs” yesterday. They are over 2 pounds each! Smoking them today.

DH was skeptical at first, but I showed him that there was a huge slab of meat on top of each bone.

NW-Bound 02-10-2021 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2558565)
Get some Ben & Jerry or some Hagen-Daz. A little goes a long way.

I don't eat a lot of ice cream, but when I do...

Speaking of Ben & Jerry ice cream, I was surprised to see it in a grocery store in Spain.

Just now did some research, and found that "it was founded in 1978 in Burlington, Vermont, and sold in 2000 to British-Dutch conglomerate Unilever. Today it operates globally as a fully owned subsidiary of Unilever."

Back to blood glucose level, Harvard's data shows that premium ice cream has a lower glycemic index than standard ice cream. The reason? Rich ice cream has more butter fat in it, and that slows down the absorption of the sugar. Money can buy not just happiness, but some health too.

Leo1277 02-10-2021 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2558739)
Back to blood glucose level, Harvard's data shows that premium ice cream has a lower glycemic index than standard ice cream. The reason? Rich ice cream has more butter fat in it, and that slows down the absorption of the sugar. Money can buy not just happiness, but some health too.

Great to know, and a great justification for me to prefer Hšagen-Dazs and real Italian Gelato... :D

Leo1277 02-10-2021 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christine (Post 2558639)
I so agree. I love low carb eating. A delicious meal every time. Bacon, cheese, beef, iberian ham, icecream etc. Fits my palate to the max. If I want to go down I have to watch portion sizes. But it still taste great.

And I get to blow a little dough buying high quality food.

You should try the 30 sec icecream which is my goto:

A handfull frozen berries, a dash of cream, one egg straight from the fridge. Mix with a handheld blender until looks icecream'y. Enjoy immidiately.

You can of course swap the berries for dark chocolate + an ice cube.

Add a dash of something from your liqueur cabinet and you can blow some dough too. :laugh:

Wow, I have to try this! The liqueur and the eggs remind me of my favorite home made eggnog recipe (European style, with 20% alcohol and less sugar). But I am wondering, does anyone have experience with these ice cream making machines? Seems in these Covid times :hide:, this may be a worthwhile investment :coolsmiley:

Mr. Tightwad 02-10-2021 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2558565)
Get some Ben & Jerry or some Hagen-Daz. A little goes a long way.

I don't eat a lot of ice cream, but when I do...

Bought 10 containers of B and J's for $20 yesterday. BTD.

I ration it so it lasts as long as possible.

audreyh1 02-10-2021 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2558739)

It may reduce the glycemic index, but Iíve come to believe that high fat plus high sugar is a very unhealthy food and contributes to metabolic disease. High fat is fine unless you add a bunch of sugar or carbs.

yakers 02-11-2021 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2558803)
It may reduce the glycemic index, but Iíve come to believe that high fat plus high sugar is a very unhealthy food and contributes to metabolic disease. High fat is fine unless you add a bunch of sugar or carbs.

+1, one or the other (but low carb is better for low BG) but both are not a good idea

Dtail 02-11-2021 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Tightwad (Post 2558784)
Bought 10 containers of B and J's for $20 yesterday. BTD.

I ration it so it lasts as long as possible.

How did you get that price?
The best I can do is BOGO at Publix.

NW-Bound 02-11-2021 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2558803)

A lot depends on the individual's body. I still eat a lot of carb for dinner. But if I eat bread for lunch, my fasting blood glucose shoots up past 100. With quinoa for lunch, it's a lot better.

Just did my monthly fasting finger pricking test. Result: 86. I can safely do ice cream once a week with that.

Teacher Terry 02-11-2021 10:28 AM

Closing on my condo on the 12th of March. I have my handyman lined up to paint, pergo the bedrooms and do a few other things. Intend to buy all new stainless steel appliances. Luckily it has a new kitchen except for appliances and hardwood floors except for the bedrooms. Very excited!

pacergal 02-11-2021 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teacher Terry (Post 2559380)
Closing on my condo on the 12th of March. I have my handyman lined up to paint, pergo the bedrooms and do a few other things. Intend to buy all new stainless steel appliances. Luckily it has a new kitchen except for appliances and hardwood floors except for the bedrooms. Very excited!

Yeah! Happy for you to move on to this new phase in your life.

audreyh1 02-11-2021 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2559337)
A lot depends on the individual's body. I still eat a lot of carb for dinner. But if I eat bread for lunch, my fasting blood glucose shoots up past 100. With quinoa for lunch, it's a lot better.

Just did my monthly fasting finger pricking test. Result: 86. I can safely do ice cream once a week with that.

As long as your fasting blood insulin levels are also low, you’re good. Unfortunately fasting blood glucose doesn’t tell you that you are in trouble until way late when a lot of damage has already been done. But elevated fasting blood insulin levels can detect if you are developing insulin resistance (and thus on a trajectory to diabetes) much, much sooner.

Regardless - by itself, eating ice cream once a week is not going to cause metabolic health problems.

RunningBum 02-11-2021 12:06 PM

$900 for ski boots. Apex Antero. https://www.peterglenn.com/product/a...-ski-boot-mens

It's to replace my ~7-8 year old Apex MC-1 ski boots that are wearing out. In traditional ski boots my feet were never comfortable, and always were the first thing to get cold. Apex boots have a special snowboard-style boot that fits into their ski boot frame. To me they perform as well as any other ski boots I've had, and are by far the most comfortable. My feet feel great and only get cold on super cold days, and the boot part is really easy to walk around in. Much safer too, to avoid slipping on ice in the parking lot on hard plastic ski boot bottoms.

It's about 2x the cost of very good traditional ski boots, but totally worth it to me. I ski 50-75 days a year so I get a lot of use out of them.

Retired Expat 02-11-2021 12:39 PM

Started a house renovation project November 2020, Jan 2021 had me buying appliances and doing the final outfitting. Upgraded from original plans to a bigger and better Fridge Freezer, dishwasher, air conditioners , even added those outlets with the built in USB ports. All told probably added 10k in bells, whistles, energy savings and conveniences. But portfolio is doing great and 2020 living expenses were way down so why not.

doneat54 02-12-2021 03:14 PM

Went to the Dollar store and bought five pairs of readers and two pairs of sunglasses for $7.44. I know, crazy. But I lived the frugal life and I have to get more comfortable with spending money I think.

RobbieB 02-12-2021 03:35 PM

Two hundred on 3 pounds of Bluefin and 12 ounces of Unagi from Catalina!

street 02-12-2021 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2560222)
Two hundred on 3 pounds of Bluefin and 12 ounces of Unagi from Catalina!

You aren't just showing off RobbieB are you ??? Lol It must be some good tasting fish and good for you!

Been wanting to buy some bison (Tatanka) steaks but the cost is 12 4oz a total of 3lbs for $180. The ribeye and tenderloin are more.

chicamuxen 02-12-2021 04:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what i blew my dough on. I ordered this back in September. Just came in yesterday. 2021 F150 Lariat. Much nicer compared to my 2013 i traded in.

HI Bill 02-12-2021 04:32 PM

Does a $300 e-book reader count? I've been wanting a Kindle for a while, and now that I'm at T-15 days to RE, I thought I'd splurge as I hope to do a lot of reading!

chicamuxen 02-12-2021 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HI Bill (Post 2560272)
Does a $300 e-book reader count? I've been wanting a Kindle for a while, and now that I'm at T-15 days to RE, I thought I'd splurge as I hope to do a lot of reading!

Nothing like a good e-book reader. Battery last for day's on a charge.