Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Blow That Dough! -2021 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/blow-that-dough-2021-a-107327.html)

street 04-09-2021 11:25 AM

Still waiting and wanting to blow some more dough this year. I posted a while back I'm interested in buying some more land, close to where my ranch is. I still believe it will happen, just waiting for the hand shake to proceed with survey, legal and buy/sell etc. etc..

finnski1 04-09-2021 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by street (Post 2589412)
Still waiting and wanting to blow some more dough this year. I posted a while back I'm interested in buying some more land, close to where my ranch is. I still believe it will happen, just waiting for the hand shake to proceed with survey, legal and buy/sell etc. etc..

How much land do you have now?

doneat54 04-09-2021 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2588122)
Aw, comon' asphalt?

Pour out a new slab and be done for life!

Slab driveways don't do well in the colder climates. Frost heaving will crack it in the first winter if it gets cold enough.

street 04-09-2021 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnski1 (Post 2589424)
How much land do you have now?

That is something, I like to keep disclose. For a few reasons, sorry.

As part of the culture, you will discover rules of etiquette in rural life, that you never ask a rancher or farmer of how big of herd or how many acres they have.

W2R 04-09-2021 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by street (Post 2589435)

As part of the culture, you will discover rules of etiquette in rural life, that you never ask a rancher or farmer of how big of herd or how many acres they have.

Thanks for letting us know. Some of us city folk would never have thought that was a bad thing to ask because we just don't know about country ways.

To me even a quarter acre is a lot. My lot is about 1/8th of an acre, and here that's considered to be a double lot. :)

braumeister 04-09-2021 12:26 PM

Quote:

Old joke:
Easterner to Texas rancher: Looks like you have a really big spread here!
Texan: Well, I can get in my car in the morning, drive all day, and still not be at the other side by nightfall.
Easterner: Gee, sorry. I used to have a car like that too.

finnski1 04-09-2021 12:26 PM

Quote:

Oh sorry. No problem.Wasn't trying to get too nosy:)
Was just an off the cuff curiosity.

street 04-09-2021 12:31 PM

Not a problem, just like to keep some things under my hat. Lol

Ronstar 04-09-2021 05:01 PM

Quote:

An old friend told me about this recently. When he was a young man, he and his buddy spent the summer on his buddy’s family Utah ranch. At dinner one night he asked the rancher how many acres he owned. The dinner table went silent. He later found out that asking a rancher how many acres he had was akin to asking how much money he had.

audreyh1 04-09-2021 05:23 PM

It’s the easiest thing in the world to look up county records online and see how large given chunks of land are and the landowner. It’s public information.

harley 04-09-2021 06:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by street (Post 2589444)
Not a problem, just like to keep some things under my hat. Lol

So, how big is your hat?

NW-Bound 04-09-2021 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HF63 (Post 2585796)
Just do it life is to short!

Easier said than done for me. My wife is stuck with caring for her frail 94-year-old mother.

We cannot even go up to our high-country 2nd home for a few nights, let alone travel.

Ronstar 04-09-2021 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2589589)
It’s the easiest thing in the world to look up county records online and see how large given chunks of land are and the landowner. It’s public information.

In some counties. Not all.

Letj 04-09-2021 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2589621)
Easier said than done for me. My wife is stuck with caring for her frail 94-year-old mother.

We cannot even go up to our high-country 2nd home for a few nights, let alone travel.

Maybe an opportunity to blow that dough by hiring help.

audreyh1 04-09-2021 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2589621)

Oh, no! So sorry to hear that.

street 04-09-2021 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronstar (Post 2589573)
An old friend told me about this recently. When he was a young man, he and his buddy spent the summer on his buddy’s family Utah ranch. At dinner one night he asked the rancher how many acres he owned. The dinner table went silent. He later found out that asking a rancher how many acres he had was akin to asking how much money he had.

Yes, that is why it is something that never gets ask. Lol It would be same difference asking how much money do you have and most wouldn't like to say.

audreyh1 >> Oh that is true, if you know the name yes it is all public knowledge. I think it is just not something the owner likes to tell or spread around, just like telling someone how much money they have.

harley >> my hat size runs about 7 1/8.

Koolau 04-09-2021 08:00 PM

Quote:

Yes, it's kind of like asking one of us here how big our stash is. Some of us (not me) love to talk about it, we post in polls, etc. but many of us are reticent to talk about certain subjects. In addition to natural reluctance to share info that we just don't want "out there", I always feel self conscious talking about numbers. Maybe it's worrying about "bragging" or maybe it's worrying about being "ranked" by someone with more. Who knows. There are just some taboo topics.

As you point out, street, they may vary by your location. I'd have no problem telling folks my last house had .27 acres with it. But if I owned (what we called) "black land" farm acreage, I'd be more reticent. In the farming community there were "braggers" and there were those holding the cards closer to the vest. Of course, any farmer can estimate what you have just by driving past your place. But the "general public" wouldn't have clue. Of course, most "city folk" wouldn't know what was big and what was little to a local farmer. I know (to some extent) because all my people (mom's side) were farmers at one time or another - back to my granddad.

BUT, do let us know when you sign that deed and Blow That Dough, street! We want to celebrate with you.:)

audreyh1 04-09-2021 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by street (Post 2589670)
Yes, that is why it is something that never gets ask. Lol It would be same difference asking how much money do you have and most wouldn't like to say.

audreyh1 >> Oh that is true, if you know the name yes it is all public knowledge. I think it is just not something the owner likes to tell or spread around, just like telling someone how much money they have.

My experience in rural GA is that all my DFs neighbors knew exactly how much land he and others owned and even joked about it sometimes. Questions about acreage were readily asked and answered.

NW-Bound 04-09-2021 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Letj (Post 2589634)
Maybe an opportunity to blow that dough by hiring help.

Hmmm... We never thought about 24-hr live-in help. I wonder about the logistics of having someone living in our home for a couple of months.

NW-Bound 04-09-2021 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by street (Post 2589670)

I cannot relate, not knowing what my head hat size is. :)