Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Blow That Dough! -2021 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/blow-that-dough-2021-a-107327.html)

finnski1 06-18-2021 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrvlBug (Post 2622235)
$6.3K to replace our Sleep Number mattress. We bought our top of the line SN 3.5 years ago. Purchased the split bed and dislike it intensely as the 'cuddle factor' is a 1 rather than 10. So today we dropped $6.3K to purchase a partial split mattress...the bottom foot portion is one piece and the top is separate to allow individual head positions. So our new bead cost us $16.3K :facepalm:...ouch.

Yeah that's one expensive bed but definitely qualifies you for this thread:laugh:

MrsHaloFIRE 06-18-2021 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnski1 (Post 2622237)
Yeah that's one expensive bed but definitely qualifies you for this thread[emoji23]

Thats an expensive "snuggle"

Good for yall. Enjoy

RobbieB 06-18-2021 05:55 PM

My BIL-SIL got a new sleep number, 12 grand!

TrvlBug 06-18-2021 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE (Post 2622241)
Thats an expensive "snuggle"

Good for yall. Enjoy

But that snuggle is 'priceless' :).

TrvlBug 06-18-2021 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2622242)
My BIL-SIL got a new sleep number, 12 grand!

Wow, price went up. We paid $10K for the 360 i10 3.5 years ago.

RobLJ 06-18-2021 06:58 PM

You're my hero on BTD.6.3k for a mattress is awesome!



Quote:

Originally Posted by TrvlBug (Post 2622235)
$6.3K to replace our Sleep Number mattress. We bought our top of the line SN 3.5 years ago. Purchased the split bed and dislike it intensely as the 'cuddle factor' is a 1 rather than 10. So today we dropped $6.3K to purchase a partial split mattress...the bottom foot portion is one piece and the top is separate to allow individual head positions. So our new bead cost us $16.3K :facepalm:...ouch.


audreyh1 06-18-2021 07:03 PM

If it’s used for years and provides comfortable sleep, it’s well worth the dough.

RetireAge50 06-18-2021 07:28 PM

Our RV came with a sleep number bed. Threw it in the trash and got a regular mattress. Had no idea they were so expensive. Seemed like an air mattress to me.

doneat54 06-18-2021 07:36 PM

I can't even imagine spending anywhere near that much on a bed. We have bought king sized memory foam mattresses from Foam Distributing (.com) for years. They last easily 5 years and the very best King one you can get from there was $570 last time we ordered. Free shipping.

timbervest 06-18-2021 07:45 PM

Still sleeping on my Serta Cal King after 35 years still solid and best sleep I've ever had. Cannot possibly image replacing it.

ivinsfan 06-18-2021 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timbervest (Post 2622295)
Still sleeping on my Serta Cal King after 35 years still solid and best sleep I've ever had. Cannot possibly image replacing it.




This is just wrong....go buy a new bed...:dance:

timbervest 06-18-2021 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivinsfan (Post 2622303)
This is just wrong....go buy a new bed...:dance:

Hey its solid firm and comfortable. They don't make 'em like that any more. I still sleep 8 hrs all through the night.

Teacher Terry 06-18-2021 10:21 PM

15 years ago we bought a sleep number king for 3k. It’s still comfortable and perfect. Best bed I ever had. We got divorced and my ex got the bed. I wanted a queen where the head elevates so when my asthma kicks up I can sleep elevated. That was $3500 on sale. Both beds were middle of the road in quality. My chiropractor has one that’s 22 years old.

explanade 06-18-2021 11:25 PM

Wow beds have really come a long way.

They advertise all the time so figured it would be pricey.

NW-Bound 06-18-2021 11:46 PM

Expensive mattresses are firm.

But can you just cut down a sheet of 4'x8' plywood or particle board to make a bed? It surely is firmer than anything you can buy. :angel:

CardsFan 06-19-2021 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2622343)
Expensive mattresses are firm.

But can you just cut down a sheet of 4'x8' plywood or particle board to make a bed? It surely is firmer than anything you can buy. :angel:

Yeah. But with the price of lumber, that might cost more than the expensive mattress ;D.

Letj 06-19-2021 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardsFan (Post 2622378)
Yeah. But with the price of lumber, that might cost more than the expensive mattress ;D.



[emoji23]

ShokWaveRider 06-19-2021 06:15 AM

The Day we spend that kinda dough on a mattress Hell will freeze over and the Devil will learn to Ice Skate. :) We sleep just fine and always have done on a regular mattress, cuddle factor is a 10.

ivinsfan 06-19-2021 08:07 AM

Funny bed story about sleep number. We have the entry level because our farm stairway doesn't have clearance for a king size box spring.


Replaced the main bed in about 2015. Was able to order just a top since the bottoms are plastic and last forever. Paid standard shipping charge.


Wanted to replace the spare bedroom with a sleep number. Bought a euro type bed frame and tried on line to buy the top only. May of 2020. The shipping was now 399 dollars the "deluxe" shipping charge, where they bring it into your house set it up and haul away the old bed. Except due to Covid that was cancelled and they would drop the bed outside your doorstep. Went to chat and complained they were ripping off their customers and making extra money off Covid. Ask for the regular shipping charge which is about a 100 bucks. They would not do it.



Spent half the sleep number money on a mid range bed in a box and it's a fantastic mattress. We've bought our last Sleep number.

Aerides 06-19-2021 08:14 AM

We've just ordered a bed-in-a-box, the Helix Midnight Luxe. Online only, but gets good reviews for the type of bed we want.

We'll have 100 nights to try it and free returns if it doesn't work out. It was our #1 pick after lots of searching, but we have several also-rans to cycle through and play goldilocks if it comes to it, with no risk as all the on-lines do the 100 night thing now.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.