Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Blow That Dough! -2021 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/blow-that-dough-2021-a-107327.html)

Sunset 06-19-2021 10:54 PM

I wonder what happens to all the returned 100 night trial mattresses ???

Do they just steam them and wrap them for the next person ? or donate ?

lem1955 06-21-2021 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2616953)
I really don’t see this happening as folks here are too busy doing their own thing to pay attention to what the Jones’s are doing. However it definitely seems to inspire a few to loosen the purse strings a bit.

Yes, I come here to counteract my insecurity about spending for what I consider large wants rather than needs. I have to also say my mantra repeatedly, "We HAVE the money. Relax."

audreyh1 06-21-2021 07:03 AM

Yeah, once you’ve achieved a big enough nest egg, you can stop carefully spending only on “needs”, and instead looking at your life priorities and how best to fund them.

Aerides 06-21-2021 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunset (Post 2622745)
I wonder what happens to all the returned 100 night trial mattresses ???

Do they just steam them and wrap them for the next person ? or donate ?

Donate. It is not legal in the US to re-sell a returned mattress. One of the companies specifically says on their site that your return will be processed by a donation, and they will arrange local pick up from the donation center directly (goodwill, habitat etc.).

Most of the companies we looked at also ask that you keep and try the mattress for a full 30 days before asking to return, to ensure it's broken in and you've adjusted before you decide.

Aerides 06-21-2021 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrvlBug (Post 2622644)
I had been waking up with back aches for some time so we knew it was time for a new bed.

Exactly! I can fall asleep on anything anywhere anytime. But I want to wake up many hours later feeling good, not worse than when I went to bed. When that starts happening, and your mattress is 10-15 or more years old, a new one is due.

In our case, we're also upgrading to a King size and redoing the bedroom completely. What we had currently was all picked out by DH before we met, and was never something I would have picked...so I've been more than patient!

Huston55 06-21-2021 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2623131)
Yeah, once you’ve achieved a big enough nest egg, you can stop carefully spending only on “needs”, and instead looking at your life priorities and how best to fund them.

Yep, life is short and you get only one...80/30,000/700,000/42,000,000/2.5B

NW-Bound 06-21-2021 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2623131)

Very well put.

My #1 priority is health, and unfortunately money does not really help that.

I guess if I get really sick, money may get me better treatments. Just may.

It's not a sure thing, else billionaires would live a lot longer than us, and I do not see evidence that it is true. They probably die in better comfort though, and that counts for something. :)

BH58 06-22-2021 12:36 PM

Not sure if this is really enough $$ to qualify as blow that dough but what is everyone buying on Amazon Prime Day? I ordered a mini DVD player to use with my projector for outside movies, a paperwhite kindle for reading - they are waterproof now for beach and pool reading, and some bluetooth headphones.

CardsFan 06-22-2021 06:43 PM

Well, as I posted in another thread, we had some water damage to the kitchen floor, due to a leaking dishwasher (even with the water main valve off).

Anyway, we got an insurance settlement that was quite fair, so we will replace that floor, right?

NO. We are going to paint the walls and replace all the floor in the kitchen, dining area, living room, entryway and hallway. So, instead of paying $1k (the deductible) for the damaged floor, we will spend about $7,500 for the painting and extra flooring.

In fairness, DW had talked about doing this before the damage, but now, here we go.

We CAN afford it, so what the heck.

MBAustin 06-24-2021 10:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up my new Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid) yesterday:

Attachment 39318

I decided to BTD by getting the top-of-the-line Limited model with all the bells and whistles. I downloaded the 6 owners manuals from the Toyota website - 1800 pages!!!

We'll be giving my 2010 Prius to DD as her law school graduation gift. I really loved that car and based on the first 24 hours, I'll enjoy this one even more.

braumeister 06-24-2021 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBAustin (Post 2624379)
I downloaded the 6 owners manuals from the Toyota website - 1800 pages!!!

That is just insane!

Suggestion: My car has the manuals loaded in the "infotainment" system, so I can just bring it up and use the search function to find what I need to look up. Yours may have the same feature.

Anyway, enjoy it! New cars are always fun.

skipro33 06-24-2021 10:15 AM

Ordered new fridge from COSTCO yesterday through their new monthly ad;
https://www.costco.com/lg-28-cu.-ft....100413016.html

https://richmedia.ca-richimage.com/I...1&recipeId=732

It is $2,000 discounted $1,000 from their previous price of $3,000. My current fridge is 15 years old and the ice maker never did work right. This one has two ice makers; one in the door and one in the bottom freezer.
This new one is 28 cubic feet, the old one is 22. , everything I read says a fridge lasts normally 10 to 12 years. Who wants to panic shop for a fridge when their's conks out? Besides, my working one I'll be replacing can be sold for a couple hundred to help offset the price of the new one.

REWahoo 06-24-2021 10:20 AM

Quote:

^ Very nice! Love the color.

Curious as to your purchase experience in light of all the stories we're hearing about paying above sticker price for some models. Was the car in inventory or did you order it a while back?

audreyh1 06-24-2021 10:21 AM

Quote:

Attachment 39318

I decided to BTD by getting the top-of-the-line Limited model with all the bells and whistles. I downloaded the 6 owners manuals from the Toyota website - 1800 pages!!!

We'll be giving my 2010 Prius to DD as her law school graduation gift. I really loved that car and based on the first 24 hours, I'll enjoy this one even more.

Great color!

Koolau 06-24-2021 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2624388)
Great color!

Be careful the local LEOs don't profile you as a hot-rodder with that color - truly stunning! Enjoy.

braumeister 06-24-2021 10:36 AM

Yes, DW got the same color on the new Venza she recently bought, and has had so many compliments on it. Toyota is doing a good job on their color choices.

street 06-24-2021 11:41 AM

Some beautiful ways, you folks have BTD. Lol

I'm still waiting on BTD on a land deal. Still working things out and been in contact with the induvial but no hand shake yet. I sure hope I can BTD and get it done.

TheWizard 06-24-2021 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by street (Post 2624417)
Some beautiful ways, you folks have BTD. Lol

I'm still waiting on BTD on a land deal. Still working things out and been in contact with the induvial but no hand shake yet. I sure hope I can BTD and get it done.

What will the additional land let you do?
Will you be able to graze more cattle on it?

MBAustin 06-24-2021 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REWahoo (Post 2624387)
^ Very nice! Love the color.

Curious as to your purchase experience in light of all the stories we're hearing about paying above sticker price for some models. Was the car in inventory or did you order it a while back?

The color is called Supersonic Red and it's only available (at extra cost) on some Toyota models. It really is stunning. My first (and most likely only) red car. My response to Koolau and my DH is that I really don't think LEOs are going to pay much attention to a Prius, so I hope I'm right.

There is essentially no inventory of anything and according to the dealer, with the 2022s coming out in late summer, it will get worse before it gets better due to the production downtime for model-year switchover.

I was able to test drive a regular Prius about a month ago and they checked their list of cars they were expecting to come in and found this one - exactly what I wanted. I thought it over for a few days and checked to see if I could find one in Houston or Dallas at a better price, but no one had anything. So it was a no-haggle deal at sticker price. Could have been better, but could have been worse.

ETA: I just got back from a 20 mile round trip without using the gas engine and a good bit of battery capacity left. Very cool!

street 06-24-2021 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWizard (Post 2624473)
What will the additional land let you do?
Will you be able to graze more cattle on it?

It is a original homestead from about 150 years ago. It now has some irrigated land with it and the old home and small shop/work area from those days. I would try to restore the old shop and put up a coral and will be able to hay it. I have no cattle anymore.

To answer your question, the land really doesn't let me do any thing more, except having more land. I would like to work on that piece of ground and would be a great project to fix and improve what is there without taking away the history. I would buck & rail fence it, and drive a well.