Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Blow That Dough! -2021 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/blow-that-dough-2021-a-107327.html)

athena53 07-19-2021 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLM (Post 2635567)
Around 2000 it outgrew bracelet form so I turned it into a necklace. This photo is from 2013 We have done a LOT of traveling since then . I probably need to add another row.

I like that idea! I may try that if my bracelet gets too crowded. I'd been thinking of just starting a second one. I've seen entire charm bracelets on e-Bay selling for probably the meltdown value of the precious metals- I'm sure they're full of someone else's memories but the family isn't interested and possibly some have been attached with the loops soldered closed so they're too much trouble to sell separately. As I noted earlier, jewelry is NOT an investment.

Sunset 07-19-2021 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athena53 (Post 2635886)
I like that idea! I may try that if my bracelet gets too crowded. I'd been thinking of just starting a second one. I've seen entire charm bracelets on e-Bay selling for probably the meltdown value of the precious metals- I'm sure they're full of someone else's memories but the family isn't interested and possibly some have been attached with the loops soldered closed so they're too much trouble to sell separately. As I noted earlier, jewelry is NOT an investment.

So true.
Souvenirs are a nice reminder for the purchaser, but to other's it's meaningless.
Now we just buy fridge magnets on our travels for a physical reminder, knowing they will all go in the garbage when we are gone.

aja8888 07-19-2021 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunset (Post 2635948)
So true.
Souvenirs are a nice reminder for the purchaser, but to other's it's meaningless.
Now we just buy fridge magnets on our travels for a physical reminder, knowing they will all go in the garbage when we are gone.

I do the same and also try to find "stickers" and add those to my garage fridge. Half the front of it is a visual history of our trips. LOL (DW thinks I am loony for doing that)

GravitySucks 07-21-2021 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athena53 (Post 2635886)
As I noted earlier, jewelry is NOT an investment.

I disagree. Buying a decent piece for DW once or twice a year made my life much better. A great investment in happiness.

Winemaker 07-21-2021 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLM (Post 2635567)
My "thing" has been silver charms when we travel. My Dear Aunt gave me the silver chain with a birthday charm on my 10th bd after admired hers. After my childhood years of buying silly charms like a bear at the zoo in a lighthouse near the family cabin I stuck to only buying charms when we traveled. Around 2000 it outgrew bracelet form so I turned it into a necklace. This photo is from 2013 We have done a LOT of traveling since then . I probably need to add another row.

I love the idea! When we had the 2 pieces appraised for insurance purposes, there was some serious money involved at meltdown prices.

stephenson 07-21-2021 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OMG - I was doing so well - until I saw this.

street 07-21-2021 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephenson (Post 2637212)

Did you buy that ride??

stephenson 07-21-2021 09:35 PM

No, but . first car Ive seen in awhile that got my attention.

Sadly, it is electric

audreyh1 07-22-2021 10:59 AM

OK! - Japanese Wagyu A5 tenderloin roast 6 lbs on sale $799.99 delivered for Costco members starting 7/29/21! Thats $200 off.

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch...anese+a5+wagyu

braumeister 07-22-2021 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2637459)
OK! - Japanese Wagyu A5 tenderloin roast 6 lbs on sale $799.99 delivered for Costco members starting 7/29/21! Thats $200 off.

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch...anese+a5+wagyu

Your link shows it as $499.99.

More expensive per pound than the one I bought a couple of years ago, but still a great price.

audreyh1 07-22-2021 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braumeister (Post 2637465)
Your link shows it as $499.99.

More expensive per pound than the one I bought a couple of years ago, but still a great price.

This is the item that will be $799.99 starting 7/29/21. It’s currently $999.99. https://www.costco.com/japanese-wagy...100505552.html

$499.99 is for the strip loin roast.

P.S. DH says no way! We’re not really into heavily marbled beef, but I’d try a small cut to see what the fuss is all about.,

aja8888 07-22-2021 11:47 AM

Coming up 8/2:

Front tooth extraction (well, that was done in April or so).

Drain infected area above tooth and sew up gum (done).

Add in bone graft material (done).

8/2 - drill and twp hole for new insert. Stitch up, wait.

8/? - remove stitches, check insert, prepare for tooth implant.

9/? - New tooth put in place.

About $6,000.00

W2R 07-22-2021 12:00 PM

NW-Bound suggested this post would have been more appropriate to this BTD thread, so here it is!

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 2637493)
[...]We all have our weaknesses when it comes to spending.

Here's mine: I just pre-ordered the new OLED Switch which will cost me $349 upon its October release. People say it's no different from a regular Switch (which I already own!) except it has a prettier screen, more RAM, better sound, and it is a lovely white color. I don't care if it's not that different. It's something I want :whistling: whether that desire is illogical or not. I am happy to throw $349 at Nintendo for it.

Now, $349 may not seem like much but you should see the squawking about how much it is, on the Nintendo forums! People think it's a huge rip-off. We were all hoping the OLED Switch would come with a better processor and 4K video, but no, it is just the same, and it plays the same old games we can already play on our old Switches.

I STILL WANT IT so I pre-ordered it anyway and nobody on the face of this green Earth can tell me I can't! That's the great thing about being single, 73, and FIRE'd. ;D

:dance:

NW-Bound 07-22-2021 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by street (Post 2635882)
Things keep moving ahead with my land deal. Got some documents over the weekend from seller and those are in the hands of my attorney. Surveyor is scheduled in a couple of weeks so one step at a time. Progress in motion for blowing that dough. Lol

Looking back over the last 8 month's we have blown a lot of money (6 figures) on gifting, charity, new vehicle and now more on land.

Life is short so going after what I enjoy, is important but still I'm very cautious of what we spend. I look at the land as an investment and will get my money back plus on it.

I spent a few hundred $K this year on stocks, that I did not really intend to buy. I set strike prices on the put options not low enough, and kept getting assigned.

I would not want to call it "Blowing Dough", because same as your land deal, it is not for consumables. I hope my shares will retain some values, if not appreciate in the years ahead. :)

street 07-22-2021 12:14 PM

NW-Bound, I asked myself a few times, why do I need more land. Lol

You know NW if we can and we want to, we should. What the heck, it is only money.

Ronstar 07-22-2021 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephenson (Post 2637212)

Are you referring to the Jeep?

Souschef 07-22-2021 12:26 PM

After DW awoke from her Covid isolation slumber, she started ordering stuff for all the upgrades
PLANNED UPGRADES TO OUR HOME

BATHROOM
Floors in Bathrooms
Replace Sinks in Bathrooms
Shower enclosure Replace with professional tile Have a full
Clear glass enclosure cubbies for shampoo premium shower head with wand
Bathroom counter tops
Main bathroom console paint to match salmon
New higher large opening toilet
Vanity and seat
Accent tile to match sink backsplash

BEDROOM
Bedroom repaint
Massage chair
Curtains for Closet
Desk
Shoe Rack

KITCHEN
Floor in Kitchen

LAUNDRY ROOM
Remove standing cabinet
Install large shelf for bottles
Install large expandable drying rack
Covered box for cleaning supplies
Install shelf over washer
Better tray storage
hooks for veggies
better methods for jackets
Plastic for flowers
dowel water bottle dryer

OFFICE
new TV
new couch

The ones in red are done. all others in progress

stephenson 07-22-2021 12:26 PM

So … the wagyu beef thing … I don’t get it … and, most of the basic reviews don’t get it, either.

Best steak I had recently was tuna … from Sams … individually wrapped and incredible to grill - olive oil and lemon juice …

RunningBum 07-22-2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2637484)
This is the item that will be $799.99 starting 7/29/21. Its currently $999.99. https://www.costco.com/japanese-wagy...100505552.html

$499.99 is for the strip loin roast.

P.S. DH says no way! Were not really into heavily marbled beef, but Id try a small cut to see what the fuss is all about.,

Are the filets going to be on sale as well? That would tempt me. I haven't seen the mailer yet, if that's where you found out.

NW-Bound 07-22-2021 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by street (Post 2637509)
NW-Bound, I asked myself a few times, why do I need more land. Lol

You know NW if we can and we want to, we should. What the heck, it is only money.

Sure, it is only money, but if you trade money for something else, you have to think that something else is better for you than money.

Well, I guess land is not really a consumable, but some people can get some enjoyment out of it.

Hmmm... What do I expect to get out of my shares? The dividends, I guess. Some don't pay dividends, so I have to squeeze some cash out of them with options. Oops, wrong thread.