Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Blow That Dough! -2021 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/blow-that-dough-2021-a-107327.html)

RobbieB 07-23-2021 01:03 AM

I saw some frozen A5 steaks at Costco last time I went but didn't get them as we had other plans. I'mma gonna get some next time!

athena53 07-23-2021 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2637492)
Coming up 8/2:

Front tooth extraction (well, that was done in April or so).

Drain infected area above tooth and sew up gum (done).

Add in bone graft material (done).

8/2 - drill and tap hole for new insert. Stitch up, wait.

8/? - remove stitches, check insert, prepare for tooth implant.

9/? - New tooth put in place.

About $6,000.00

I'm in the middle of something similar except that the decayed tooth was holding up one end of a bridge so I'll be getting an implant in the gap the bridge covered, too! Fortunately the infected area didn't need to be drained but the decayed tooth is gone, bone graft put in at the same time, a consult to set up the next step (bone graft in gap plus the 2 inserts) 10/25. I'm budgeting $12K total based on previous work I've had done.

Not the most glamorous BTD expenditure but I'm very grateful. Overall my health is very good but I've always had problem teeth. These will be my 6th and 7th implants over 15 years. I'd likely have dentures by now if I couldn't do this.

finnski1 07-23-2021 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athena53 (Post 2637882)
I'm in the middle of something similar except that the decayed tooth was holding up one end of a bridge so I'll be getting an implant in the gap the bridge covered, too! Fortunately the infected area didn't need to be drained but the decayed tooth is gone, bone graft put in at the same time, a consult to set up the next step (bone graft in gap plus the 2 inserts) 10/25. I'm budgeting $12K total based on previous work I've had done.

Not the most glamorous BTD expenditure but I'm very grateful. Overall my health is very good but I've always had problem teeth. These will be my 6th and 7th implants over 15 years. I'd likely have dentures by now if I couldn't do this.

Wow that's almost identical to what I am in the middle of right now.
Had a bridge across tooth #4 with #3 and 5 as the anchors. Developed some decay under tooth #3 so had to remove bridge, extract #3 and had some bone grafting. That must have been 10-12 sutures and was not a fun day or few weeks following. #5 was still ok so put a new crown on that($2000) and waiting to schedule 2 implants and crowns for another $9000+. So I will be over $11000 myself. There are many more things I would like to spend $11k on but it is what it is.;D

My health is very good also and can't complain either. This will be my first implants. Are they worth it? Do they seem real secure etc?

albireo13 07-24-2021 06:06 AM

I am trying to shake off my frugal roots ...
Retired last year, DW still working for 2+ more years. We figure to take care of some big ticket items while we still have her income so ...

* remodeling master bathroom - started planning the project, likely finished Q1 of next year
* having a stone patio installed this month
* looking into a trailer/camper - we love camping and are ready to move on from tent camping (usually in the rain ... LOL).
* I need a new car - my Pilot has 251K miles on it and I need something that can tow a trailer. The Pilot runs like a top but, has no tow package. Looking at an F-150 this weekend!

finnski1 07-24-2021 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albireo13 (Post 2638348)
I am trying to shake off my frugal roots ...
Retired last year, DW still working for 2+ more years. We figure to take care of some big ticket items while we still have her income so ...

* remodeling master bathroom - started planning the project, likely finished Q1 of next year
* having a stone patio installed this month
* looking into a trailer/camper - we love camping and are ready to move on from tent camping (usually in the rain ... LOL).
* I need a new car - my Pilot has 251K miles on it and I need something that can tow a trailer. The Pilot runs like a top but, has no tow package. Looking at an F-150 this weekend!

Well I'd say your giving it a pretty good go!:)

athena53 07-24-2021 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnski1 (Post 2637894)
Wow that's almost identical to what I am in the middle of right now.
<snip>These will be my first implants. Are they worth it? Do they seem real secure etc.?

I LOVE mine. I joke that they're like your own teeth, only better because they can't decay. My dentist recommends cleanings 4X yearly so I do keep up with that.

It's partly a matter of luck- TeacherTerry has posted about hers and she's had to have multiple fixes, but mine have been great and I eat a lot of crunchy fruits and vegetables. It's likely also a matter of the skills of the practitioner- I will stick with my current oral surgeon and dentist till they retire and I hope that's many years away.

Even recovery hasn't been bad. Every time the oral surgeon writes me a prescription for Oxy or Hydro. Every time I get by on one dose of OTC meds (if that) and wistfully think about the street value of the prescription before I shred it.;D

corn18 07-24-2021 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athena53 (Post 2638402)
I LOVE mine. I joke that they're like your own teeth, only better because they can't decay. My dentist recommends cleanings 4X yearly so I do keep up with that.

It's partly a matter of luck- TeacherTerry has posted about hers and she's had to have multiple fixes, but mine have been great and I eat a lot of crunchy fruits and vegetables. It's likely also a matter of the skills of the practitioner- I will stick with my current oral surgeon and dentist till they retire and I hope that's many years away.

Even recovery hasn't been bad. Every time the oral surgeon writes me a prescription for Oxy or Hydro. Every time I get by on one dose of OTC meds (if that) and wistfully think about the street value of the prescription before I shred it.;D

I had to have a tooth pulled 2 years ago and have no interest in replacing it. And since it costs thousands of dollars and multiple visits, I really have no interest. What’s the downside of not getting an implant?

athena53 07-24-2021 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corn18 (Post 2638604)
What’s the downside of not getting an implant?

If it's your back molar- nothing. I lost 2 of those and live without them. If the loss leaves a gap between teeth, they tell you that the surrounding teeth will lean into the gap and your teeth will all get out of alignment. I haven't tested that.

Right now I can tell you that if I had just left blank spots where I now have implants, it would severely impair my ability to chew anything substantial and that in turn would have a serious impact on my nutrition. All my implants have been far enough back that the gaps wouldn't really affect my appearance.

finnski1 07-24-2021 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athena53 (Post 2638402)

So did an oral surgeon actually do the implant work or your dentist. My dentist plans on doing the whole thing by himself. He already did the bone graft work etc. and it has healed nicely.

athena53 07-24-2021 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnski1 (Post 2638625)
So did an oral surgeon actually do the implant work or your dentist. My dentist plans on doing the whole thing by himself. He already did the bone graft work etc. and it has healed nicely.

Oral surgeon- the dentist just does the part of determining the size and color of the prosthetic tooth, ordering and placing it.

explanade 07-24-2021 05:00 PM

Yeah they told me I could go for a few months with the tooth gone and see if I could deal with it or want an implant back there.

Implant it seems is a big boon for dental practices.

Prices are all over the map and the marketing is insane. Practices orient their business around being the Implant Center.

aja8888 07-24-2021 05:49 PM

My oral surgeon did the tooth removal, the minor surgery in the infected gum area, and the insertion of the bone graft material. His next step on 8/2 is to drill and tap the hole for the implant stud and he will install that stud at that time and sew up the area. A visit back to him for an inspection and a look at the work is done shortly thereafter (2 weeks or so).

After a month or so later, my normal dentist will take an impression for the replacement tooth and have it made. When done, a visit to him for the installation will be it.

This is the second implant for me in the last two years or so.

Sunset 07-24-2021 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corn18 (Post 2638604)
I had to have a tooth pulled 2 years ago and have no interest in replacing it. And since it costs thousands of dollars and multiple visits, I really have no interest. What’s the downside of not getting an implant?

neighboring teeth will lean into the open space, possibility of the opposite jaw tooth erupting (getting longer).
You will look like you come from Alabama :hide:

My Mom sold her car, to pay for her teeth, she always thought it was funny to say "Look at my car" and then smile. :laugh:

explanade 07-24-2021 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunset (Post 2638671)
neighboring teeth will lean into the open space, possibility of the opposite jaw tooth erupting (getting longer).

Is there any study showing that?

People have their wisdom teeth removed.

Why aren't teeth sliding towards the open space in the end?

finnski1 07-24-2021 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2638663)
My oral surgeon did the tooth removal, the minor surgery in the infected gum area, and the insertion of the bone graft material. His next step on 8/2 is to drill and tap the hole for the implant stud and he will install that stud at that time and sew up the area. A visit back to him for an inspection and a look at the work is done shortly thereafter (2 weeks or so).

After a month or so later, my normal dentist will take an impression for the replacement tooth and have it made. When done, a visit to him for the installation will be it.

This is the second implant for me in the last two years or so.

Well you're the second person to say that the oral surgeon did it. Starting to make me want to have a talk with my dentist before scheduling mine.

street 07-24-2021 06:24 PM

I'm itching to BTD! Inching along with full head of steam on the land purchase. Surveying started my attorney has all the details and working that part of the purchase.

I'm pretty excited about this purchase and felt great to be part of surveying the land.

corn18 07-24-2021 06:32 PM

Just bought a gas pressure washer and surface cleaner thingy. My electric pressure washer just didn’t have the oomph I needed.

RobbieB 07-24-2021 06:39 PM

Yeah, me thinks 5-6 HP is the minimum and the pros all use 8 and up.

MRG 07-24-2021 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by explanade (Post 2638674)
Is there any study showing that?

People have their wisdom teeth removed.

Why aren't teeth sliding towards the open space in the end?

My contacts got looser.

aja8888 07-24-2021 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnski1 (Post 2638675)
Well you're the second person to say that the oral surgeon did it. Starting to make me want to have a talk with my dentist before scheduling mine.

The rough breakdown for my work is this (for your reference):

Sedative - $180
Pull tooth - $600
Bone graft material - $450
Implant work (2nd visit) - Sedative, surgery, insert, close - $3200

The dentist will do the new tooth work and from what recall last time was $1,500.