Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Blow That Dough! -2021 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/blow-that-dough-2021-a-107327.html)

FreeBear 07-24-2021 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnski1 (Post 2638675)
Well you're the second person to say that the oral surgeon did it. Starting to make me want to have a talk with my dentist before scheduling mine.

Make that a third person. DW did 2 implants at just over 6K each. She's extremely pleased with the result, but the process isn't fun. An oral surgeon did the extraction, bone graft, then eventually implant "screw". The general dentist then fitted the visble tooth on top of implant. Seems like specialization is pretty typical these days, not like years ago.

Sunset 07-24-2021 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by explanade (Post 2638674)
Is there any study showing that?

People have their wisdom teeth removed.

Why aren't teeth sliding towards the open space in the end?

I looked but could not find a study, found lots of dental places saying to get a replacement/spacer.

However, wisdom teeth are often removed because their is not enough space for them to come out naturally so the space is smaller than a normal tooth space.

In various comment sections some folks had no problem years later with a space, others found their teeth did move/lean towards the hole/gap.

I did find this 60 Minutes show about teeth removal and how it affects the face of a person, how removing teeth changes the look of a person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvqn...cSRUEOfMDKqx0b

I'd be interested in a study as well , to know is this really an issue or maybe just an issue with certain teeth and not others ?

Since teeth and the jaw are a living thing, and we know braces just by exerting pressure can move teeth, it is quite possible our teeth move to fill a space from various pressures (tongue, chewing, food, lips, etc) since nothing will push back from a space.

tmm99 07-25-2021 03:09 PM

I was going to order some seafood online and realized that I lived close to one of the stores listed, so I went down and bought some sashimi-grade seafood (salmon, tuna) and frozen crab and shrimp - about $150 worth, but no shipping cost as I drove there.

Life is good :dance:

I think I'll go back there and get some lobsters next time...

braumeister 07-25-2021 03:41 PM

Quote:

Well you're the second person to say that the oral surgeon did it. Starting to make me want to have a talk with my dentist before scheduling mine.

Definitely the most common situation. Around here, dentists always send their patients to an oral surgeon who specializes in implants. Your dentist may be unusually talented and able to do the whole thing, but it's not generally the case.
https://www.oralsurgeons.com

finnski1 07-25-2021 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2638710)
The rough breakdown for my work is this (for your reference):

Sedative - $180
Pull tooth - $600
Bone graft material - $450
Implant work (2nd visit) - Sedative, surgery, insert, close - $3200

The dentist will do the new tooth work and from what recall last time was $1,500.

Thanks for that. My quote for 2 implants and 2 crowns is about $9200 where yours appears to total $9400, so pretty similar. My dentist did the tooth pull , and bone graft at a cost of about $2000.
I have now had 3 or 4 responses that indicate that an oral surgeon did the implant part whereas my dental practice claims to be able to and has done these. I'm still a little leery and will pursue the oral surgeon angle more. Thanks

Teacher Terry 07-25-2021 05:06 PM

I have all implants on the bottom called a 4 on 4. This was done by a oral surgeon 5 years ago and I haven’t had any issues. Basically 4 very long implants hold the teeth. It costs 33k. I had a regular dentist do the upper because the oral surgeon wanted 50k. That was a big mistake as they all failed. It cost 11k and I convinced him to refund 8k. When all your teeth are implants you lack the biting power of real teeth. It takes me a long time to eat and I have to cut steak into tiny pieces.

athena53 07-25-2021 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teacher Terry (Post 2639191)
It takes me a long time to eat and I have to cut steak into tiny pieces.

Maybe you should be eating wagyu steaks? ;D

tmm99 07-25-2021 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teacher Terry (Post 2639191)
I have all implants on the bottom called a 4 on 4. This was done by a oral surgeon 5 years ago and I havenít had any issues. Basically 4 very long implants hold the teeth. It costs 33k. I had a regular dentist do the upper because the oral surgeon wanted 50k. That was a big mistake as they all failed. It cost 11k and I convinced him to refund 8k. When all your teeth are implants you lack the biting power of real teeth. It takes me a long time to eat and I have to cut steak into tiny pieces.

Oh, I assumed that the implants were as good and sturdy as real teeth, but I guess I was wrong. Maybe the appeal is that the implants are still better than no teeth or dentures...

W2R 07-25-2021 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmm99 (Post 2639200)
Oh, I assumed that the implants were as good and sturdy as real teeth, but I guess I was wrong. Maybe the appeal is that the implants are still better than no teeth or dentures...

I think that it depends on the person, which seems reasonable considering that it is a medical/dental procedure.

I have a number of implants, though not as many as Teacher Terry. I feel for her with all that major work that was required! Anyway, in my case I do have three next to each other with a bridge connecting, plus several solitary implants. My implants are better than and sturdier than my real teeth. For me it's like getting back my teenaged teeth again.

Mine were done by a qualified oral surgeon (who is also qualified as a dentist) and who is best friends with my dentist; they even went to dental school together and they have lunch together once a week. They communicate well with each other about cases like mine.

The oral surgeon did the tooth pulling, bone graft, and implant installation, and my dentist did the crowns months later once they were sure the implants had enough bone grown around them. I liked having mine done by the oral surgeon because his group had much more expensive equipment and experienced surgical staff.

ksr 07-25-2021 07:09 PM

Quote:

I havenít posted about it in this thread, but I just got an implant in May. Extraction and implant were done by an oral surgeon, the tooth/crown will be placed by my regular dentist.

Amethyst 07-25-2021 07:18 PM

GLM, that necklace is gorgeous! I have never seen anyone do that with charms. Usually they just keep adding bracelet after bracelet, till you can't even see their wrists, and the charms are all muddled together.

Could you post a photo of this highly unusual-sounding charm? I'm trying to imagine what a bear in a zoo in a lighthouse must look like. ;D

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLM (Post 2635567)
buying silly charms like a bear at the zoo in a lighthouse

explanade 07-25-2021 08:15 PM

How did the dentist or oral surgeons make the case for the implants?

What would have happened if you didn't get the implants?

I was advised to do so about 10 years ago, was dubious and changed dentists. Several of them have not said anything.

Then this new dentist does a panamax and says there's a cyst or gap up in one of them. I don't recall if it was the same tooth that the other dentist advised 10 years ago.

The dentist advised for a crown on another teeth and referred me to a surgeon who gets great reviews, has a Harvard degree but wants like $4400 to extract one tooth and there may be lab fees on top.

Then the implant, they haven't laid out what the costs would be.

Dentist talked about the cyst collapsing the other teeth causing disfigurement.

audreyh1 07-25-2021 08:27 PM

Maybe blowing that dough on dentistry deserves its own thread!

Ronstar 07-25-2021 08:30 PM

Thanks a lot. I cracked a tooth eating dinner tonight while reading this thread. I see a blow that dough dentist visit (or visits) coming.

aja8888 07-25-2021 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2639254)

Given the last few years of pretty much rebuilding my teeth, I'd be a top poster. Let's say a new pickup truck is in my mouth. :laugh:

And I have a sister-in-law who spent way more than i did. :eek:

RobbieB 07-25-2021 08:59 PM

Oh yeah. Go quick before the pain starts.

Teacher Terry 07-25-2021 09:59 PM

I have seen the implants on X-rays and they are very long and deep. They aren’t failing and are very sturdy. I read online that it’s the biting power/force that’s very different with full mouth implants. I went to the best guy in my area for my bottoms. My sister had hers done by a top guy in Chicago and has the same issues. She has more biting power than me because she has them on the top also. I have a denture on top. When you have teeth or individual implants it’s like having a root for each tooth. Total mouth implants usually have 4 on the bottom and 6 on the top.

ncbill 07-26-2021 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2637459)
OK! - Japanese Wagyu A5 tenderloin roast 6 lbs on sale $799.99 delivered for Costco members starting 7/29/21! Thats $200 off.

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch...anese+a5+wagyu

My planned $799.99 purchase from Costco is their Firman Tri-fuel generator.

Then once my electrician adds an interlock, generator breaker, & inlet box to my electric panel I'll have a quick-disconnect added to my natural gas line so I can run the generator w/o ever having to handle or store gasoline.

Crazy how bad shortages are...still waiting on the interlock kit which is just a steel plate with some slots cut into it plus a few standoffs.

corn18 07-26-2021 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncbill (Post 2639429)
My planned $799.99 purchase from Costco is their Firman Tri-fuel generator.

Then once my electrician adds an interlock, generator breaker, & inlet box to my electric panel I'll have a quick-disconnect added to my natural gas line so I can run the generator w/o ever having to handle or store gasoline.

That's a great idea. I may have that done as well.

I just added to my cart and it says $999 in the cart but it shows $799 on the generator page. I am signed in, so not sure why the difference.

The only issue is it's only 5500 running watts for NG vs. 7500 watts on gas. But I have a 5500 watt gas genie now and it runs everything we need except the dryer and a/c.

Maybe it's $799 in the store (they have a note that says it might be cheaper in the warehouse).

Koolau 07-26-2021 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2639254)

Yep. Between DW and I, we'll be Blowing the better part of $7 Grand this summer. Of course, during the pandemic year of 2020, we spent only for new tooth brushes, floss, and high concentration fluoride tooth paste. I guess we're "paying later" as the saying goes. We're replacing crowns, getting enamel and a couple of fillings. From those responding here, sounds like we're getting off "cheap." YMMV