Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Blow That Dough! -2021 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/blow-that-dough-2021-a-107327.html)

sengsational 08-03-2021 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by citrine (Post 2642555)
Bought a hydroponic grow tower last week....cannot wait to harvest herbs greens, and tomatoes in 3-4 weeks!

An all inclusive kit? Help me BTD with specifics?

citrine 08-04-2021 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sengsational (Post 2643626)
An all inclusive kit? Help me BTD with specifics?

YES! The company is called Lettuce Grow and you can grow indoor or outdoor. I bought the 36 pod tower and the seedlings were free. They also have a smaller tower with grow lights for $100 off. I lost 3 seedlings to shipping and 1 because the stem broke and they credited me for that. It is also easy to propagate using Root Riot and your own seedlings so you are not dependent on the company to buy more seedlings. The kit comes with nutrients, ph down, ph tester, the tower, all the tubing, pump, etc. The grow lights are extra, but you can rig sometime up for a lot cheaper. Check out the site and if you buy, I can give you a friend code for $50 off :coolsmiley:

RobLJ 08-04-2021 10:43 PM

Weekend BTD

This hardly qualifies compared to the big splurges, but
my youngest (who is working/living at home programming for an insurance agency after he was laid off in Seattle) and I drove to San Francisco from Reno for the Sat/Sun Astros/Giants games. He loves baseball, as do I and we're both Astros fans from living in Houston for so long.

We met his older brother and 4 year old grandson (they live near Merced) for the Saturday game, which featured 8 home runs, which the grandson loved (particularly the water cannons behind us when the Giants homered and the kayakers fighting for the home run balls in the Bay). I paid for a hotel Saturday, then we had an early seafood lunch Sunday at 11:00 am, then Ubered to the stadium for the game, then drove back.
Really memorable; the yewt is a big fan of Oracle Park as I told him he would be. Spending on experiences for the yewts/grandkids is money well spent. Also, the yewt bought the tickets, so it wasn't that much of a splurge--beer, a couple meals, and the hotel.

explanade 08-04-2021 11:50 PM

How much are tickets and food these days?

RobLJ 08-05-2021 12:30 PM

I think the yewt spent 20-25$ apiece for tickers (7 total); a large slice of pepperoni was 10$ and chicken tenders (for the 4 year old) were around 15$. The winemaker paid for the food. Beers were 12$; the yewt and I split the cost for those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by explanade (Post 2644540)
How much are tickets and food these days?

MRG 08-05-2021 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GravitySucks (Post 2641788)
Hmmmm. Microwaved fish. It would be just my luck to rent that room the next day.

Took DGF too Fingerlakes wine country. Bumped the hotel up to a king Jacuzzi suite. The nice restaurant was closed so we went to the fancy one instead. Over paid for two cases of wine, but it's what we wanted.
A BTD day for me, but I'm a piker compared to all of you above!

DW and I honeymooned on the east side of Seneca and had our dinner at sunset on the water. A $3.00 pizza and a six pack of Genny Cream Ale.

DW has been looking at Iceland cruises. Thinking she's found something on Windstar that's like 15k plus airfare. She hasn't said she wants to pull the trigger yet. Times change.

Montecfo 08-06-2021 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRG (Post 2644817)
DW and I honeymooned on the east side of Seneca and had our dinner at sunset on the water. A $3.00 pizza and a six pack of Genny Cream Ale.

DW has been looking at Iceland cruises. Thinking she's found something on Windstar that's like 15k plus airfare. She hasn't said she wants to pull the trigger yet. Times change.

Flipside: We went to Charleston for a long weekend when DW was pregnant with our son. Stayed in a nice carriage house on the battery. Butler service, really nice time.

Now when we go back I think the price of that same spot is jaw dropping, and I wonder, how did I find that affordable almost 30 years ago?

RobbieB 08-06-2021 04:21 PM

Returned from Monterey, just wonderful! In addition to the $1700 hotel bill we ate 2 dinners and 2 lunches. Five hundred more with no booze. Yup, $100 each with a twenty dollar tip - :)

And yeah, we'll do it again for sure!

street 08-09-2021 05:11 AM

^ That is awesome and sounds like a great time, way to that dough!

I still in the processes of blowing some dough on that land deal. Things got started pretty fast and now waiting on surveyor for legal description, so lawyer can get things done.

My turn will come to blow some dough, I hope anyway.

audreyh1 08-09-2021 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2645184)
Returned from Monterey, just wonderful! In addition to the $1700 hotel bill we ate 2 dinners and 2 lunches. Five hundred more with no booze. Yup, $100 each with a twenty dollar tip - :)

And yeah, we'll do it again for sure!

Awesome!

Did you take any photos?

Surewhitey 08-09-2021 06:21 AM

3 Attachment(s)
DW finally let go of the purse strings & surprised me with a RZR rental for the day & up to Imogene pass. Way cool trip to Ouray, Telluride and Pagosa Springs.

Well worth it.

ShokWaveRider 08-09-2021 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningBum (Post 2642363)
They say they might be slightly thawed, but when my mother used to send Omaha steaks they were still hard frozen. That would be tough to cut. And I don't have a vacuum sealer. I could saran wrap them and then put in a freezer baggie like I do Prime steaks from Costco, but I still think cutting frozen or nearly frozen beef would be hard.

Not getting a ~$50 Vacuum sealer to protect a ~$750 investment is false economy. BTD!

Dtail 08-09-2021 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surewhitey (Post 2645988)
DW finally let go of the purse strings & surprised me with a RZR rental for the day & up to Imogene pass. Way cool trip to Ouray, Telluride and Pagosa Springs.

Well worth it.

Very nice

audreyh1 08-09-2021 11:56 AM

We once did that pass from Ouray to Telluride with a group. Was fabulous! We even saw a multicolored train of otherwise SUVs coming up from Telluride. They were obviously doing some type of 4x4 road test. I don’t think they even license plates nor any labels on them.

A few days later we rented a jeep and I drove way up the Ouray side to some beautiful alpine meadows full of flowers and not far from the summit, but thunderstorms started building so scrambled to get back down.

Great memories, thanks!

RockyMtn 08-09-2021 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2646154)
We once did that pass from Ouray to Telluride with a group. Was fabulous! We even saw a multicolored train of SUVs coming up from Telluride. They were obviously doing some type 4x4 road test.

A few days later we rented a jeep and I drove way up the Ouray side to some beautiful alpine meadows full of flowers and not far from the summit, but thunderstorms started building so scrambled to get back down.

Great memories, thanks!

They don't call it the "million dollar highway" for nothing!! Views, cost to build and the gold, silver and copper they took out of those mountains justify the name. Great Colorado road trip!!

RobbieB 08-09-2021 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2645977)
Awesome!

Did you take any photos?

Yeah! View out the balcony;
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...8a2e26d0_o.jpg

Water goes right up to the hotel;

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...fdcb89f0_o.jpg

Jonathan Livingstone;

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...7bb0e513_o.jpg

Otter social group;

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...688395af_o.jpg

Koolau 08-09-2021 12:45 PM

Quote:

Well worth it.

Someone please cue C. W. McCall.

MRG 08-09-2021 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolau (Post 2646174)
Someone please cue C. W. McCall.

Feed store isn't on main anymore.

Ronstar 08-09-2021 02:50 PM

Quote:

Well worth it.

An excellent way to BTD!

braumeister 08-09-2021 02:51 PM

Still a cool place. I skied Wolf Creek last winter.