Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Blow That Dough! -2021 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/blow-that-dough-2021-a-107327.html)

RobbieB 08-13-2021 03:36 PM

I like that house! Nice big ranch with no stairs - :)

ERD50 08-13-2021 03:40 PM

So is it OK to post a "not gonna blow that dough" subject for contrast, and it's not even my money? But these home improvement posts had me thinking about a quote my DD got to replace their deck.

Their deck is good size, and 2 stories (they have an 'English", or "look-out" basement, so their 1st floor in front is almost 2 stories in back), and comes up to their above-ground pool. But not huge, not sure I could come up with decent figures though.

They wanted to look into replacing it, I really think it would be fine to just replace a few of the rotted boards, the paint/stain isn't even that bad, could probably easily get another 10 years out of it with some maintenance.

The quote for a new deck was for... $40,000! OK, I'm an old geezer, but my first home (a townhouse) cost less than that!

Pretty sure they are going to do some maintenance instead ;) And no, dear old Dad is not writing a check for that! Or at least wait for things to settle down - seems like all the home improvement stuff is in high demand, and high prices.

-ERD50

PaunchyPirate 08-13-2021 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERD50 (Post 2648331)
Nice! Although in the picture, the white looks OK, probably only up close would you see the wear & tear.

My 1st SFH had aluminum siding, and the paint was OK, but kind of "chalky" looking. I had thought about getting it painted, I think it would have really freshened up the look, but I sold it before I got to it, or even got a quote (wasn't a high priority, just a kind of "would be nice" idea).

I think the blue really blends in well with the metal roof. While I think metal roofs can make a lot of sense from a practical stand, I'm not always a fan of how they look, (sort of industrial? - personal preference of course). But I think the blue really makes the roof blend in much nicer - it's kind of a stark contrast with the white.

It did turn out nice. I'm happy you are happy! :) It's always a good feeling when we "blow that dough" and feel like we got our money's worth (or more!).

-ERD50

Thanks. Yes, the old white siding looked fine from the road. Up close, you would see the chalky coloration you noted on yours. It was quite faded in places. The white soffit and gutters were particularly dirty/old looking prior to the repaint.

As for the metal roof, my biggest concern with my color choice was how it would look with the gray roof. I was afraid they would look too similar. But I was pleased to see they complement each other nicely.

Metal roofs have become the norm here in my area for reroof projects. If someone is putting on a new roof, I bet 9/10 of them are being done in steel. I bought the house already roofed, so I didnít make the decision. But I rather like it.

ERD50 08-13-2021 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate (Post 2648235)

Next up: New asphalt driveway.

I forgot to mention - the current drive looks like concrete? Are you sure you want asphalt? Maybe just power-wash the concrete?

The problem I've had with asphalt is the grass/weeds want to grow into the edge and deteriorate it. Concrete is pretty good at fighting that.

Also - love the name of the blue paint (Moody Blue) :)

-ERD50

PaunchyPirate 08-13-2021 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2648339)
I like that house! Nice big ranch with no stairs - :)

Thank you! I love this house. Iím single, but Iíve owned big, two story houses mostly prior to this one. I decided that part of my early retirement was to downsize into a ranch. Itís paid for and now fully repainted inside and out. I LOVE not having stairs to deal with. I have a full basement under it, but only use it for storage. The previous owners had already moved the washer and dryer out of the basement into the closet of the bedroom I use as my office. Works for me nicely.

PaunchyPirate 08-13-2021 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERD50 (Post 2648346)
I forgot to mention - the current drive looks like concrete? Are you sure you want asphalt? Maybe just power-wash the concrete?

The problem I've had with asphalt is the grass/weeds want to grow into the edge and deteriorate it. Concrete is pretty good at fighting that.

Also - love the name of the blue paint (Moody Blue) :)

-ERD50

The concrete has large sections that are cracked and crumbling away. The previous owners tried concrete patching and that is now chipping off and crumbling. I think power washing in those areas would hit dirt if I pushed it. And I have plenty of weeds that grow in between the concrete sections too.

I’m one of those guys who likes the look of a nice blacktop driveway. I realize the maintenance involved. Like everything, If they are properly installed it should hold up for many years. I’ll be happy to maintain it.

NW-Bound 08-13-2021 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate (Post 2648235)
I decided to update the siding on my house back in March of 2021. The existing siding was the original (I think) aluminum siding from the 1960s. I got 2 quotes for replacing it with vinyl siding and one quote for repainting the house. I decided it wasn't worth $25000 to me to have all-new vinyl siding. However, the $7500 to paint it was attractive enough to go ahead with the project...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERD50 (Post 2648343)
The quote for a new deck was for... $40,000!

Wow, everything is so expensive now!

This made me curious about what I paid for exterior painting of my home, which is a 2-story with perhaps 2x the wall surface of the house shown. I looked it up with Quicken. I paid $3350 in 2013. I would have painted the house myself, but the 2nd story was too tough to do.

About the $40K deck, would you mind sharing the size of it? What material?

Palmtree 08-14-2021 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERD50 (Post 2648343)

The quote for a new deck was for... $40,000! OK, I'm an old geezer, but my first home (a townhouse) cost less than that!

at least wait for things to settle down - seems like all the home improvement stuff is in high demand, and high prices.

-ERD50

The cost is crazy high because the price of lumber has sky-rocketed up due to Covid related shortages.

When the coronavirus hit, the lumber mills shutdown. But many people stuck at home decided it was a great time to do home improvement projects such as working on a deck, fencing, or putting in a pool.

With the supply being reduced in the pipeline, and the consumer demand being up, it created a perfect storm of sorts. The price of lumber has more than doubled, almost tripling in cost.

teetee 08-14-2021 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by explanade (Post 2648226)
Family and money could lead to some heartache.

True that! Especially for immature members in the family who are always competitive and paranoid. Sometimes I watch them and think for all the time they spent arguing and cursing, it is simply not worth the. Money they hope they would get. Not after counting the ruined relationship (maybe the parties did the arguing already abandoned that).

doneat54 08-14-2021 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palmtree (Post 2648543)
The cost is crazy high because the price of lumber has sky-rocketed up due to Covid related shortages.

When the coronavirus hit, the lumber mills shutdown. But many people stuck at home decided it was a great time to do home improvement projects such as working on a deck, fencing, or putting in a pool.

With the supply being reduced in the pipeline, and the consumer demand being up, it created a perfect storm of sorts. The price of lumber has more than doubled, almost tripling in cost.

It had more than tripled where I live, a 2x4x8" went from around $2.50 to about $9.75 at one point, but it has settled back down to around $5.00 now. The cost for the wood to re-deck my flatbed trailer went from $400 to $200 in about 3 weeks. So the crazy prices (at least here) are not lumber based. I think contractors are throwing stupid numbers out just to see if people will pay. I got a quote from a guy to stain my deck, and paint some trim. $260 (and I bought the stain and paint already) I asked him how long it would take him and he told me. $81/hr he wants to paint and stain.

Sorry. Not here.

World Traveler 08-14-2021 07:51 AM

My DW and I took a road trip to Schlitterbahn a popular TX water park that we enjoyed taking are kids to. This time we went by ourselves and splurged on line passes. Half the wait time for rides. Time vs money blow the dough.lol

Koolau 08-14-2021 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by explanade (Post 2648226)
Family and money could lead to some heartache.

Too true. But, then again, it's worth the occasional heartache for the joy that family can bring.

As pointed out in another thread, I no longer lend to family. If I can't (or won't) give it - it won't happen at all.

But, speaking of family and BTD (I think we were :laugh: ) our granddaughter is becoming a mini-BTD project. Growing like a weed, she's always into new clothes which DW seems able to find either used or on sale AND we are attempting to donate a "library" of kids books to her. Worth every penny. Because the grand sons are so far away, I was beginning to think I was a bad granddad. Having 1st granddaughter just across town tells me that proximity is all important in the relationship. I suspect we would have delayed our move had the kids hung around to produce some GKs for us to spoil. But now, they've all scattered, though the prodigal son has now returned (with said granddaughter!) YMMV

Winemaker 08-14-2021 03:54 PM

Even though I have 1100+ bottles of wine in our wine cellar, DW and I just bought 5 cases of various wines from our trip to wine country the past 2 weeks. Plus shipping!

We have a bad case of novinophobia, the fear of running out of wine!

Huston55 08-14-2021 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winemaker (Post 2648832)
Even though I have 1100+ bottles of wine in our wine cellar, DW and I just bought 5 cases of various wines from our trip to wine country the past 2 weeks. Plus shipping!

Where in wine country did you go? I just did a four day backpacking trip up there. Nice & quiet but, not too hot.

Sunset 08-14-2021 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winemaker (Post 2648832)

That's what I call being prepared for the next pandemic ;)

Winemaker 08-16-2021 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huston55 (Post 2648923)
Where in wine country did you go? I just did a four day backpacking trip up there. Nice & quiet but, not too hot.

After spending 4 days in Suisun and Napa Valley, we went to Amador County. The first 3 days there were okay but a pressure system pushed all the smoke from the fire near Reno, back into the valley. Then temps climbedfrom the mid 90s to 105 on our last day. It was just plain easier to picnic.

Out of Steam 08-16-2021 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivinsfan (Post 2647496)
It was interstate 80 in Nebraska in the middle of the week and I was surprised just about every property was in the 200 dollar when you included taxes.

Chain hotels on the interstate,so it would easy to BTD ...

I made a reservation in New York State (well away from NYC) last week, and it was about $200 with tax, which surprised me. The hotels available for $125 were definitely getting reviewed as dumpy.

I chalked it up to being a Saturday night, but it may not have taken that.

Romer 08-16-2021 08:51 PM

Getting ready to retire at the end of the year so I am blowing that dough to prepare

Installing a 15KW solar system with 32Kw of the new LG Batteries

I didnt see the value of having solar without batteries as I want to have power in an outage. It will take me longer to get the ROI to pay for the Solar, but that is OK for the added capability

I see a lot of Grid failures with weather changes and believe there is a risk that hackers will take down a Grid. Likely not going to happen, but I will cut down my yearly expense for electricity and have the extra capability I want should there be an outage

The price tag was about $60K, but since it doesnt impact my ability to retire one bit, I decided to go for it

I love my ranch home with 6 car garages on an acre and have told my kids I plan on dying in this house. Plenty of room for our 4 cars, my Australian camper and room for projects.

I have blown money recently on a new BMW Z4, modified a 2014 Land Cruiser for off roading and restored a 1973 Land Cruiser. Pretty set on toys

My house is paid off and I foresee having to replace the furnace in the next few years as well as replacing my lawn tractor. They make battery powered lawn tractors now that can do 2 acres on a single charge. Who would have thought? Those items and increased travel will be the future target for spending.

vafoodie 08-16-2021 10:47 PM

Part of why I retired was so I could be a trophy wife and go on cool work trips with my husband before his jealousy of my retirement consumes him, and he pulls the trigger. He works for the Coast Guard, so he has to go to places like Hawaii, Miami, Cape Cod for “work.” I love rust-belt towns and had always wanted to see Detroit, so when he had to go there for work I was elated. He also had to go to Traverse City and Grand Haven Michigan, both delightful towns. The BTD part comes when we tacked on a trip to Milwaukee because neither of us had been there. It was fun—much more so than Detroit. We went to a huge state fair, took a fun city tour, saw the Pabst mansion, and went to a Brewer’s game. I have some fun pictures, but I don’t know how to post them on this site.

Greddy 08-17-2021 05:48 AM

I have been following this thread for a while to get some ideas, but I am starting to wonder if I am having a problem, and just not BTD, or even spend reasonable amounts of money. My main issue is currently cars - from normal societal expectations, I am due for one or two new ones. But there are so many things that prevent me from doing that, part of it being that the SF East Bay is not really all that car friendly about parking and endless traffic jams. But then the other thing is, in my opinion, that cars are just getting plain uglier by the year. I usually had Toyotas earlier, but the recent designs of Toyotas and Lexuses are just repelling me. I understand that Mr. Akio Toyoda said that his cars looked too "bland" in the past - but is the answer to have them look like the Creature from the Black Lagoon? I wonder how others feel about this, but the front ends of these cars tend to be downright scary and ugly to me, like a monster just about trying to swallow you.

And it's not only Toyotas, although they lead the pack: also the new BMW models aren't as gracious and sporty as earlier models, like everybody else their grills are becoming too big and angry looking. And then, most of the new LED headlights and brake lights have such strange geometries, I wonder if these engineers ever got the memo that just because the new lighting technologies including LED allows much greater flexibility in geometric design, this does NOT mean that every conceivable design is now desirable?

And don't get me started about the recent SUV and crossover craze. Everybody and their brother outdoes themselves to try to make them, but they all just end up looking like clones of each other, and I still prefer the ride of the normal sedans. And what happened to convertibles? It was so fun to drive these up and down through the hills here and the coast highway, but there are fewer and fewer of them.

I wonder if I am just from an older generation and stuck in the past, or what is going on with modern car designs? I really enjoyed looking at the recent post of one person here restoring an MG - why can't we have such car designs again? How can I BTD if I donít like to look at what I am spending my money on?