Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Blow That Dough! -2021 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/blow-that-dough-2021-a-107327.html)

ShokWaveRider 09-27-2021 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolau (Post 2668583)
Loved St. Augustine. As mentioned elsewhere, it's the only place in Florida I would consider living. YMMV

Pretty much our thoughts too. :) Housing is getting expensive though. MMDV.

Koolau 09-27-2021 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider (Post 2668584)
Pretty much our thoughts too. :) Housing is getting expensive though. MMDV.

Seems like that's becoming true all over. I suppose it's one of the pent-up demands created by Covid. But a house where you really feel at home is probably a good thing to BTD on. Of course, if I ever considered a move anyplace, I'd rent first. YMMV

explanade 09-27-2021 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christine (Post 2668556)
I have an an electric car and blew 2 grand on installing a charger at my mothers place.

Compared to just charging from a plug on the wall I get better charging speed and a sensor which lowers the charging speed when my mum use lots of amps herself. Stopping any circuit breakers from going off.

She does not drive. But both my brother and I drive electric. And some of her friends. And last quarter over 70% of new cars sold in Norway were pure battery ones. So it will be useful for many.

that seems really high.

Does your state offer tax credits for chargers?

Christine 09-27-2021 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by explanade (Post 2668672)
that seems really high.

Does your state offer tax credits for chargers?

No credits. But the electrician had to add another line from the cabinet for this. And add surge protection which my mum did not have already.

CardsFan 09-29-2021 04:16 PM

Wagu on sale at Fresh Thyme

So, the local Fresh Thyme has Wagu beef (Australian, Carrera) for sale this weekend. Rib eye and NY strip. $40/lb.

Worth trying?

HouseHubby 09-30-2021 05:48 AM

Splurged on our anniversary dinner. Six course tasting menu with paired wines - $360. Delicious, especially when the combinations were very unique.
The past few years we've cooked special meals at home so this was a treat.

One negative was a pitch to add a $50 per person caviar course.

ncbill 09-30-2021 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luvtoride (Post 2668074)
Not sure if I can post here as I’m not retired yet (plan to be within 2 years) but today’s purchase definitely but a crimp in my retirement assets.

My wife and I went to our regular jeweler to get her jewelry cleaned for a wedding we attended tonight.

While there,he showed me a Rolex Sky dweller watch he had just gotten that he knew I have been interested in. It is white gold and white face and is brand new(he’s not a Rolex dealer but sells used and resale Rolex). I had bought another Rolex from him 6 years ago. He offered to “buy my Rolex back” for $1,000 more than I paid him for it and apply it to the price of the new watch. After some deliberation and encouragement from my wife I took the deal. Net cost of the new watch for me was $17k. It’s a lot of money but investing in a Rolex watch is an appreciating asset that can always be resold for more than I paid. I don’t think I will ever sell it and it will eventually be passed down to my grandson.

Yes, it is a significant and extravagant purchase but one that I felt comfortable making as I’m still working.
I guess reading the book Die With Zero has influenced my spending philosophy.

Watches are (a socially acceptable form of) jewelry for men. :)

Picked up this one on sale (half-price) for my kid in flight school: Citizen Eco-Drive Promaster Nighthawk Quartz Mens Watch, Stainless Steel, Pilot watch

Koolau 09-30-2021 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncbill (Post 2669887)

Picked up this one on sale (half-price) for my kid in flight school: Citizen Eco-Drive Promaster Nighthawk Quartz Mens Watch, Stainless Steel, Pilot watch

I'm too clumsy to wear an expensive watch but find myself ogling the adds for expensive watches in the slick magazines. A friend has half a dozen "expensive" watches (not in the Rolex class - but maybe a $Grand or two.) He switches off daily and DOES wear them as jewelry (in addition to always having the correct time.) I admire them but wouldn't take the plunge myself. YMMV

I'm sure your kid will treasure his gift!

ShokWaveRider 09-30-2021 09:29 AM

I have had more than half a dozen different Rolex watches during my w*rking career. My DW has had 2, and still has one.

My favorite was an all gold Sub-Mariner with a blue lapis dial. ..... I digress.

When I FIREd, I had 2 left, DW had one. I used to sell them and replace them with another Rolex design or upgraded one. DW upgraded to a 2 tone custom from a SS version.

I just sold my last one last year, as since I retired I do not wear a watch at all. 12 years later it was time to de-clutter. :).

DW is keeping hers as she likes it as a piece of jewelry. I am uncomfortable wearing any watch now.

The GOOD news with Rolex is, when I sold each one I got at lease 30% more than what I paid, 50% more for the all gold one. Unlike almost all other jewelry they hold and even increase in value as opposed to losing 50%.

GTP2022 09-30-2021 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luvtoride (Post 2668074)
Not sure if I can post here as Iím not retired yet (plan to be within 2 years) but todayís purchase definitely but a crimp in my retirement assets.

My wife and I went to our regular jeweler to get her jewelry cleaned for a wedding we attended tonight.

While there,he showed me a Rolex Sky dweller watch he had just gotten that he knew I have been interested in. It is white gold and white face and is brand new(heís not a Rolex dealer but sells used and resale Rolex). I had bought another Rolex from him 6 years ago. He offered to ďbuy my Rolex backĒ for $1,000 more than I paid him for it and apply it to the price of the new watch. After some deliberation and encouragement from my wife I took the deal. Net cost of the new watch for me was $17k. Itís a lot of money but investing in a Rolex watch is an appreciating asset that can always be resold for more than I paid. I donít think I will ever sell it and it will eventually be passed down to my grandson.

Yes, it is a significant and extravagant purchase but one that I felt comfortable making as Iím still working.
I guess reading the book Die With Zero has influenced my spending philosophy.

Good for you. I also liked that book for some out of the normal thinking ideas.

A couple years ago I did the same thing with Rolex. Traded my two tone Sub for much more than I paid on a gently used Deep Sea. Love it. My son does too... someday.

Koolau 09-30-2021 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider (Post 2669930)
I have had more than half a dozen different Rolex watches during my w*rking career. My DW has had 2, and still has one.

My favorite was an all gold Sub-Mariner with a blue lapis dial. ..... I digress.

When I FIREd, I had 2 left, DW had one. I used to sell them and replace them with another Rolex design or upgraded one. DW upgraded to a 2 tone custom from a SS version.

I just sold my last one last year, as since I retired I do not wear a watch at all. 12 years later it was time to de-clutter. :).

DW is keeping hers as she likes it as a piece of jewelry. I am uncomfortable wearing any watch now.

The GOOD news with Rolex is, when I sold each one I got at lease 30% more than what I paid, 50% more for the all gold one. Unlike almost all other jewelry they hold and even increase in value as opposed to losing 50%.

The kind of jewelry that I've found to be (sort of) an investment has been anything solid gold (chains, charm bracelets, coins in bezels, etc.) I used to buy these used (for DW) at a pawn shop where I knew the owner. He gave me a good deal and I've traded up over the years or just held them. DW loves them. Her favorite is a chain necklace with matching wrist and ankle bracelet made from two neck chains. I could get my money back (and a lot more) at any gold store or jewelry shop - but I won't. At the time it was definitely BTD but in a good way! YMMV

Luvtoride 09-30-2021 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncbill (Post 2669887)

Bill, Very cool watch. I'm sure that he will love and treasure that watch (and the meaning and thoughtful gift of it)! I have a couple of Citizen watches too and I love the "light powered" feature of them. Sure beats keeping them on a winder!

Luvtoride 09-30-2021 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider (Post 2669930)

I love that aspect of RETIREMENT to NOT wear a watch! I think I will still wear one when I retire (even my Apple Watch which I wear almost daily, unless I have somewhere to go).
Yes, a Rolex is a decent investment but I love it for the great feeling it gives me to wear it. I'm sure others here who have had them understand.

flyingaway 09-30-2021 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christine (Post 2668556)
I have an an electric car and blew 2 grand on installing a charger at my mothers place.

Compared to just charging from a plug on the wall I get better charging speed and a sensor which lowers the charging speed when my mum use lots of amps herself. Stopping any circuit breakers from going off.

She does not drive. But both my brother and I drive electric. And some of her friends. And last quarter over 70% of new cars sold in Norway were pure battery ones. So it will be useful for many.

Maybe you can charge others for a fee to charge their cars, post a sign outside your mother's house.

Christine 10-02-2021 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingaway (Post 2670008)
Maybe you can charge others for a fee to charge their cars, post a sign outside your mother's house.

I could have - but there are plenty of public ones in the area - some are even free of charge.

CardsFan 10-02-2021 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardsFan (Post 2669694)
So, the local Fresh Thyme has Wagu beef (Australian, Carrera) for sale this weekend. Rib eye and NY strip. $40/lb.

Worth trying?

Quoting myself.

Just dropped $95 on 2 steaks. One strip, one rib-eye.

Hardly blowing the dough, but a splurge for me.

PandaBear 10-04-2021 05:06 PM

Went shopping today for new shoes. I have a high arch and have suffered from plantar fasciitis for years. I went to a specialty shoe store and had someone really check my shoes size and recommend specific shoes for me. Three pairs plus tax = almost $500. I got a pair of sneakers for exercise, a Chelsea ankle boot for winter and a pair of casual work shoes.
I plan for this to be my "new normal", I need to not skimp on shoes.

targatom2019 10-04-2021 09:40 PM

Just got back from a 3rd 8 day fishing trip costing 5K per trip.

street 10-05-2021 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by targatom2019 (Post 2671653)
Just got back from a 3rd 8 day fishing trip costing 5K per trip.

Where you fishing and for what species?

Koolau 10-05-2021 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PandaBear (Post 2671566)
Went shopping today for new shoes. I have a high arch and have suffered from plantar fasciitis for years. I went to a specialty shoe store and had someone really check my shoes size and recommend specific shoes for me. Three pairs plus tax = almost $500. I got a pair of sneakers for exercise, a Chelsea ankle boot for winter and a pair of casual work shoes.
I plan for this to be my "new normal", I need to not skimp on shoes.

Have you been to a foot doctor? I had suffered with Planters fasciitis for years as well. The foot doc had inserts made for me that were almost miraculous. True, they don't work with flip flops, but regular shoes are now wearable without pain and the inserts are pretty much interchangeable. It's been over 10 years but my OOP was quite reasonable IIRC - nothing like $500 but YMMV.