Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Blow That Dough! -2021 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/blow-that-dough-2021-a-107327.html)

targatom2019 10-05-2021 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by street (Post 2671991)
Where you fishing and for what species?

8 days on long range boat fishing Mexican waters and couple of Mexican islands for large 100#+ yellow fin tuna, 30-50# yellow tail, 50#+ grouper and large wahoo.

street 10-06-2021 05:08 AM

^ WOW! Great way to enjoy your money.

street 10-06-2021 05:58 AM

I'm getting very close now to BTD. Land deal is close for me to exchange money and take over ownership. I'm exited about getting it done, it has been about 7 months since the the dialog started with seller. Been some bumps along the way but been persistent and patient and I can see the end point now.

Koolau 10-06-2021 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by street (Post 2672061)
I'm getting very close now to BTD. Land deal is close for me to exchange money and take over ownership. I'm exited about getting it done, it has been about 7 months since the the dialog started with seller. Been some bumps along the way but been persistent and patient and I can see the end point now.

Here's to a a smoother ride going forward! Looking forward to the final chapter AND some pictures.

street 10-06-2021 07:14 AM

Koolau, thank you. I know it was permature posting on BTD thread through the months but I have been very excited for my new purchase. I will definitely post when the deal is finally done. Lol

Born2Fish 10-06-2021 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolau (Post 2671995)
Have you been to a foot doctor? I had suffered with Planters fasciitis for years as well. The foot doc had inserts made for me that were almost miraculous. True, they don't work with flip flops, but regular shoes are now wearable without pain and the inserts are pretty much interchangeable. It's been over 10 years but my OOP was quite reasonable IIRC - nothing like $500 but YMMV.

Same here. Been using them in my running, walking and hiking shoes. Plantar fasciitis ended when I started wearing the arch supports.

MBAustin 10-06-2021 08:58 AM

While visiting my sister she noticed that Amazon has AirPods Pro on sale. She loves hers so I ordered them for myself just because. Never thought I'd spend that much on earbuds, but I wear them at least 2 hours a day now when I walk and do yard work, so I figure it's worth it.

Koolau 10-06-2021 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBAustin (Post 2672146)
While visiting my sister she noticed that Amazon has AirPods Pro on sale. She loves hers so I ordered them for myself just because. Never thought I'd spend that much on earbuds, but I wear them at least 2 hours a day now when I walk and do yard work, so I figure it's worth it.

Heh, heh, got "free" buds on a flight yesterday. Practically USELESS! Next time I'll BTD and buy some decent ones - though maybe not top of the line.

Sunset 10-06-2021 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolau (Post 2672305)
Heh, heh, got "free" buds on a flight yesterday. Practically USELESS! Next time I'll BTD and buy some decent ones - though maybe not top of the line.

Even with my own earbuds, I noticed on the plane it's pretty noisy, yet I didn't want to crank up the volume as I don't want to go deaf.

I'm thinking noise cancelling ones for the next flight.

Koolau 10-08-2021 07:00 PM

Upon return to Paradise, I turned on the TV and Cable box. Both came on just fine. I started to get rid of some DVR'd programs that "slipped" through (thought I'd halted all the recordings). Suddenly, TV went black. I played with it for a couple of hours (Unplug, wait, plug back in. Unplug, wait, push "on" button for 10 seconds, plug back in. Etc., etc.) SO yesterday, went to Costco and plunked down $400 plus tax for a new TV of same size - has to fit the wall mount. That was LESS than the TV that the new one replaces AND the new set is light years ahead in quality and features (and brand name.) Still, for us, that's sort of BTD kind of experience, though YMMV since Costco had TVs for $3K!

street 10-08-2021 07:57 PM

OH, I just about forgot to post that I have started to blow that dough. Paid land taxes on three different section of land for the seller of my new land purchase. It was part of the agreement that I pay the taxes and that amount would be taken off of the price we agreed too for the land, I'm in the process of purchasing. My attorney said it was time to get that part done so now one less step to the finish. So the BTD has started but more yet to blow.

Koolau 10-08-2021 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by street (Post 2673121)
OH, I just about forgot to post that I have started to blow that dough. Paid land taxes on three different section of land for the seller of my new land purchase. It was part of the agreement that I pay the taxes and that amount would be taken off of the price we agreed too for the land, I'm in the process of purchasing. My attorney said it was time to get that part done so now one less step to the finish. So the BTD has started but more yet to blow.

One step at a time. At least, the process HAS begun. Congratulations and hope for a quick completion of the sale. Enjoy!

wmc1000 10-09-2021 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by street (Post 2673121)

Congrats it's good to hear that you are getting close to finishing the transaction!

street 10-09-2021 07:21 AM

Koolau & wmc1000 thank you. It really isn't in my blood to blow dough but this will be the last land I will buy. Well, I think so any way! Lol

I have bought and sold land on hand shakes and a very simple process with out all the legal avenues and never had a bad experience. The time things take to buy or sell property is unreal.

Luvtoride 10-09-2021 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolau (Post 2673105)
Upon return to Paradise, I turned on the TV and Cable box. Both came on just fine. I started to get rid of some DVR'd programs that "slipped" through (thought I'd halted all the recordings). Suddenly, TV went black. I played with it for a couple of hours (Unplug, wait, plug back in. Unplug, wait, push "on" button for 10 seconds, plug back in. Etc., etc.) SO yesterday, went to Costco and plunked down $400 plus tax for a new TV of same size - has to fit the wall mount. That was LESS than the TV that the new one replaces AND the new set is light years ahead in quality and features (and brand name.) Still, for us, that's sort of BTD kind of experience, though YMMV since Costco had TVs for $3K!

How about a leak in my main “hub” drain that most of our bathroom fixtures and kitchen sink and dishwasher drain through? Caused water leaking through the walls and ceiling below. Plumber had to take off parts of the wall and ceiling to access and remove 5 feet of all steel drain pipes and replace with PVC. $500 for that part of the job alone.
Now need to get the contractor in to replace the plasterboard and spackle and paint. No idea how much that will be.

I would have rather bought a new TV [emoji2359][emoji1787]

wmc1000 10-09-2021 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luvtoride (Post 2673233)
How about a leak in my main “hub” drain that most of our bathroom fixtures and kitchen sink and dishwasher drain through? Caused water leaking through the walls and ceiling below. Plumber had to take off parts of the wall and ceiling to access and remove 5 feet of all steel drain pipes and replace with PVC. $500 for that part of the job alone.
Now need to get the contractor in to replace the plasterboard and spackle and paint. No idea how much that will be.

Sorry to hear about your leak. Drywall is relatively simple to hang even if you have to hire someone to come in and tape and mud after you get it up.

Having "learned" through trial and error many home repairs including plumbing, electrical and even building our own room addition over the decades is one reason we got by on our relatively low incomes.

Sunset 10-09-2021 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luvtoride (Post 2673233)

How strange, I've never heard of all steel drain pipes, cast iron and PVC are the only ones I've known.

How do you know the rest of the steel pipes won't start leaking soon ?

Luvtoride 10-09-2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunset (Post 2673310)
How strange, I've never heard of all steel drain pipes, cast iron and PVC are the only ones I've known.

How do you know the rest of the steel pipes won't start leaking soon ?

Plumber needed to leave and get a different saw blade to cut through the pipes because it was not standard cast iron(?).
It was clear where the leak was coming from a joint near that area of the leak. Who knows if there will be future repairs. We will keep it open for a couple of weeks to keep an eye on it, but so far so good….dry as a bone there and the surrounding drywall has dried out too.
I was never much of a DIYer for home repairs and hiring a professional was usually the cheapest and best option va. Me trying it and screwing it up worse! [emoji23]

scfr 10-10-2021 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scfr (Post 2662068)
Over the weekend we made a deposit on a '22 Prius Prime that should be available some time in November.

It came in earlier than expected and we picked it up today!

Dash man 10-10-2021 06:12 PM

We booked are first cruise in three years! Balcony cabin for a week in the Caribbean beginning in late January. Don’t even plan to get off the ship because we just want to enjoy getting away to sea.