Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Blow That Dough! -2021 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/blow-that-dough-2021-a-107327.html)

pjigar 10-16-2021 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmc1000 (Post 2676214)
When loading keep more weight behind the area where the hydraulic ram mounts to the bed than what you load in front of the ram mount.

Yes, I noticed that on the instruction label slapped on the trailer. Now I truly understand why they say that!

NW-Bound 10-16-2021 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmc1000 (Post 2676214)
Good Job! Just an FYI. When loading keep more weight behind the area where the hydraulic ram mounts to the bed than what you load in front of the ram mount.

How do I know you ask? My SIL has the 7x14' version dump trailer and we loaded it up to move some excess dirt left over from our post frame building construction. Drove to where he was going to dump it for future use and yep, you guessed it the ram wouldn't lift the load! We than had to go and get a backhoe to offload a good portion of the front before the ram would dump the rest. This was a new dump trailer and we learned a good lesson from its maiden use. :laugh:

On the other hand, a trailer that is not front-loaded may be unstable.

See demo video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9Dgxe584Ss

Trailer fishtailing is the cause of many road accidents, as shown in numerous videos on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Kfl97b57s

pjigar 10-17-2021 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-Bound (Post 2676332)
On the other hand, a trailer that is not front-loaded may be unstable.

Yes, I know it is a balance how you load the trailer, literally. I have two other trailers so I have some experience with the "trailer issues". Nevertheless serious issue. For the dump trailers, it is best to spread the load evenly across the bed for a best balance of tongue weight and ease of dump.

Palmtree 10-17-2021 05:56 AM

"Ordered a new festool oscillating sander. With a load of woodworking projects and few sanding masks, I got a sander with a vacuum attachment."

Nice. I think buying anything with the Festool name qualifies as a blow that dough event!

Winemaker 10-17-2021 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palmtree (Post 2676352)
"Ordered a new festool oscillating sander. With a load of woodworking projects and few sanding masks, I got a sander with a vacuum attachment."

Nice. I think buying anything with the Festool name qualifies as a blow that dough event!

+1

My latest BTD was $4895 for about 2480# of grapes. They should yield 515-575 bottles, at well under $9.40/bottle on average.

Sangiovese, Mouvèdre, Primitivo, Tempranillo, and Cabernet Sauvignon from California.

And $480 for 30 gallons of NY Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling and Gewurztraminer white grape juice. So about $3.40/bottle when I add in the yeast, yeast nutrients, and buffers, if needed.

For those who do not drink wine, it's a BTD situation.
For those of you that like to save money and shop a good deal, $9.40 for a bottle of wine that would retail over $50, it a great deal.
For those of you that have great hobbies, win awards and ribbons, or enjoy a great wine with friends and dinner, it's priceless fun.

skyking1 10-17-2021 08:23 AM

Dad was an amateur winemaker back in the 70's, 5 gallon carboy batches.
I can relate to that BTD :)

street 10-17-2021 08:26 AM

Winemaker, interesting BTD! So, one and a quarter ton (1 1/4) on grapes is a lot of grapes. Lol

So, how long does it take to make a bottle of $9.40 wine??

Sunset 10-17-2021 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winemaker (Post 2676395)
+1

My latest BTD was $4895 for about 2480# of grapes. They should yield 515-575 bottles, at well under $9.40/bottle on average.

Sangiovese, Mouvèdre, Primitivo, Tempranillo, and Cabernet Sauvignon from California.

,,,.

Do you press them at home or at some place ?

When I bought some grapes off a train, from a place that does that, they had a large ~20 Ton presser to squeeze out all the juice. It was interesting to do.

Winemaker 10-17-2021 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by street (Post 2676398)
Winemaker, interesting BTD! So, one and a quarter ton (1 1/4) on grapes is a lot of grapes. Lol

So, how long does it take to make a bottle of $9.40 wine??

So, we crush, destem, and sort. I do not want any jacks ( small stem pieces as they contribute to green yucky flavors.) cold soak them for three -four days, then pitch the yeast. Depending on yeast, grapes, and shop temps, 7 to 10 days to ferment to almost dry. Then the grapes are pressed in one of two presses I have. Then that young wine is put into demijohns, and carboys to finish off the fermentation. Then the reds are "infected" with a malolactic bacteria that softens up the wine's acids. Then when it is settled off any solids, it is put into barrels where it it aged up to 2 years.

RobbieB 10-17-2021 05:50 PM

You are the Winemaker! Very impressive - :)

street 10-17-2021 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winemaker (Post 2676554)
So, we crush, destem, and sort. I do not want any jacks ( small stem pieces as they contribute to green yucky flavors.) cold soak them for three -four days, then pitch the yeast. Depending on yeast, grapes, and shop temps, 7 to 10 days to ferment to almost dry. Then the grapes are pressed in one of two presses I have. Then that young wine is put into demijohns, and carboys to finish off the fermentation. Then the reds are "infected" with a malolactic bacteria that softens up the wine's acids. Then when it is settled off any solids, it is put into barrels where it it aged up to 2 years.

That is quite a process and not just something that happens fast. Thanks

A 100 year old bottle of wine is worth a lot of dough. Those bottle would be great inheritance gifts to your heirs.

PaunchyPirate 10-17-2021 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Winemaker, that sounds great.

street 10-17-2021 06:23 PM

^ remember that show From "I Love Lucy". I watched that a few times. Lol

Out-to-Lunch 10-17-2021 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winemaker (Post 2676395)
+1

My latest BTD was $4895 for about 2480# of grapes. They should yield 515-575 bottles, at well under $9.40/bottle on average.


This vintage, I am only in for 300# of Merlot (grapes) and 7 gallons of Sauv. Blanc (juice), both from the Columbia Valley.

Winemaker 10-18-2021 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunset (Post 2676461)
Do you press them at home or at some place ?

When I bought some grapes off a train, from a place that does that, they had a large ~20 Ton presser to squeeze out all the juice. It was interesting to do.

I used to use an antique crusher. we would destem hundreds of pounds of grapes by hand, then run them through that crusher, we did a 30 gallon barrel once that way. I had a small press, also, to press the fermented juice out of the grapes.

Once I started making 59 gallon barrels I broke down and bought a manual crusher/destemmer. I also bought a press that was four times bigger than the first.


I would like to get a destemmer/crusher but they are extremely expensive for an amateur like me. They run up $3000 and up, and would take up too big of a footprint in the shop, for something used only 2 weeks out of the year.

Winemaker 10-18-2021 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch (Post 2676596)
This vintage, I am only in for 300# of Merlot (grapes) and 7 gallons of Sauv. Blanc (juice), both from the Columbia Valley.

My grape broker does not offer anything from Oregon, Washington, Argentina or the Paso Robles area in California. I could get the from a place in Connecticut, but would have no way to keep them cold for the road trip here in SW PA.

I do get grapes and juice from Australia, Chile, NY, CA and South Africa.

Christine 10-18-2021 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb4uski (Post 2674321)
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing? How much does a new bigger tv weigh compared to the old tv weight?


I recently blew $2600 on a 55" OLED and it weighed nothing compared to my old 42" from 2003 or so. I could easily lift the 55" myself but needed help with the 42" one.

Luvtoride 10-18-2021 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christine (Post 2676632)
I recently blew $2600 on a 55" OLED and it weighed nothing compared to my old 42" from 2003 or so. I could easily lift the 55" myself but needed help with the 42" one.

Christine, money well spent! I have an LG OLED 55" TV which replaced an OLD heavy LED TV. The picture quality is amazing (watch with the lights dimmed if you can). It is an entirely different viewing experience.

f35phixer 10-18-2021 08:01 AM

This is also in the Golf thread. Just got my Application was successful for 2022 Open Championship tickets. I asked for July 10-13 practice rounds, so four days two people is 300 GBP.

Marriott's in Edinburgh going for about 450+ GBP/day. thinking staying the week use it as base....

so easy 3500 + 300 +?=?=?=? BTD !!!!!!!!!!!

skyking1 10-18-2021 08:15 AM

Well done!
I like this thread so much. Right now after the property deal, my next BTD may well be development costs. Boring as heck so to read about great things like boats and wine grapes and a week at the Open keeps me happy.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.