Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many Pennie’s for the rebuilt screens?

How many Pennie’s for the rebuilt screens?
I thought it was amazingly reasonable.
New frames, screens and screen door for $900. There are three of the arched openings. I would have guessed $2000.

Happy New Year. JP

I thought it was amazingly reasonable.
New frames, screens and screen door for $900. There are three of the arched openings. I would have guessed $2000.

Happy New Year. JP

JP, that screened in area construction (frames, screen, door) looks exactly like the one I installed here a few years ago. My screen material is fiberglass....is yours?

^^^ looks great! Price for replacing is a steal.

The Screened in porch at my Florida townhome has deteriorating aluminum framework, and old damaged screens.

I was over at my neighbor's place playing cribbage, and his was all beautiful, and everything was new.

I commented on how nice it looked. He gave me the business card of the guys who did the work. (I was going to try replacing the lower screens, but the frame work was crumbling apart.)

I called the screen guy, and requested a quote. They came today, and replaced everything in about five hours. Two guys did the work. In the past I would have figured out how to do this myself, or put up with it.

My partner and I are both amazed how beautiful it looks compared to how it was. Very satisfying, and worth every penny

BTD.

Looks really nice.

Do they caulk along the frame to wall joint, or caulk under it before putting it against the wall ?

Looks really nice.

Do they caulk along the frame to wall joint, or caulk under it before putting it against the wall ?
The walls are concrete. They screwed the aluminum frames to the arched walls and floor using concrete screws (I forgot the name for these.).
Then they caulked the inside edge of the frame to the wall. Only on the inside edge. Looks tight and clean on the outside.
I think the mesh screens are non metal. Some type of plastic.
New door with all of the hardware too.

Another neighbor guy is coming over to check it out. He will most likely update his too.

These guys will probably start getting a bunch of business around here. All of the townhomes have these porches, and most are 35 years old.

JP

Beautiful picture of a nice job done.

I did a double take when I saw a post from someone in Mpls with a recent photo showing greenery. I'm in MN and am looking at blowing snow this morning....

The Screened in porch at my Florida townhome has deteriorating aluminum framework, and old damaged screens.

I was over at my neighbor's place playing cribbage, and his was all beautiful, and everything was new.

I commented on how nice it looked. He gave me the business card of the guys who did the work. (I was going to try replacing the lower screens, but the frame work was crumbling apart.)

I called the screen guy, and requested a quote. They came today, and replaced everything in about five hours. Two guys did the work. In the past I would have figured out how to do this myself, or put up with it.

My partner and I are both amazed how beautiful it looks compared to how it was. Very satisfying, and worth every penny

BTD.

Take care, JPView attachment 41265View attachment 41266View attachment 41267

Looks great!

I did a double take when I saw a post from someone in Mpls with a recent photo showing greenery. I'm in MN and am looking at blowing snow this morning....
Snowbirding Stormy. Winter #2.
It is weird, but also kind of fun.

We miss friends and family during the winter months, but would most likely be inside our house or shoveling snow a majority of the winter.

Starting to have some casual acquaintances and friends down here. We are also way more active.

Take care, JP

Last edited:

PS: that is our sun porch that faces the south. Us old retired people drink coffee out there in the morning.
We use the upper deck for happy hour in the evenings. The sun hits that porch an extra 1-2 hours each evening before sunset.
It isn't easy.

JP

PS: that is our sun porch that faces the south. Us old retired people drink coffee out there in the morning.
We use the upper deck for happy hour in the evenings. The sun hits that porch an extra 1-2 hours each evening before sunset.
It isn't easy.

JP

I'm spending mornings and evenings next to my wood stove these days. Some skiing & ice fishing in between.

[/B]

...Frugal is so hard to break for me.

It sort of is for me, too.
Now I'll spend $$$ on something I'm sure I'll use, hence the new F-150, the new chainsaw, leaf blower, concrete mixer, SDS+ rotary hammer, etc.

Not a boat person here, but I have yet to convince myself to blow some dough on a smallish (19') travel trailer. I really need to, darn it. Not getting any younger and Alaska still needs a visit...

It isn't easy.

JP

Doing it right sir, doing it right!

Not a boat person here, but I have yet to convince myself to blow some dough on a smallish (19') travel trailer. I really need to, darn it. Not getting any younger and Alaska still needs a visit...

Highly recommended. You should allow plenty of time too. Like a whole summer.

I really wanted our Alaskan RV trip to be that long, but my wife could arrange for her siblings to take turn looking over their mother only for a couple of months.

My wife has been the de factor care giver for her mother full-time, but her older siblings could only spare a couple of weeks each because they all got other things to do. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Highly recommended. You should allow plenty of time too. Like a whole summer.

I really wanted our Alaskan RV trip to be that long, but my wife could arrange for her siblings to take turn looking over their mother only for a couple of months.

My wife has been the de factor care giver for her mother full-time, but her older siblings could only spare a couple of weeks each because they all got other things to do. :rolleyes:

There's always one sibling who seems to take that "duty." In my family, it was me. Big Sis would drive 60 miles to visit mom occasionally, but never to "take the duty" that was required. Heh, heh, I'm not counting on any of my kids doing the same for me. I guess I raised them to be too independent. YMMV

Stopped by the liquor store to get some sambuca for DW. All this talk of high end whiskey got me craving another bottle of Redbreast 21. Didn't have that so I got some Redbreast 12 instead. See how that tastes. Saved me $300. I asked about a bottle of Louis XIII. They didn't have any. Thank goodness.

Last edited:
NW-Bound, the bright side to your staying home is, you are saving money. Got to look at the positives in that deal. Lol

NW-Bound, the bright side to your staying home is, you are saving money. Got to look at the positives in that deal. Lol

No, people still have not gotten it right about me. :)

I have more money than I spend. I do not need to save money, just not wanting to waste it. I spend money only on things I want.

I just don't want to spend money just for the sake of spending. In fact, spending money wrongly brings you grief, not pleasure.

Last edited:
DW and I finally got the new floor installation completed last Wednesday! All told $10,000 for my flooring guy, about $300 in new shop vac, chisels, ice scrapers, etc. We've been at this ceramic tile removal since mid August, albeit we have been mom's daytime caregiver 5 days/week.

New deck and overhead roof to be thrown into the mix in the spring; I also have a AC guy coming to see if we can/should get a split system for the upstairs. Might be able to put unit on new roof:confused:

Redo the 2 bathrooms in 2023, as the 30 yo fiberglass enclosures are showing some fish scaling on the floor.

I just ordered myself a new MacBook Pro laptop. After switching from Macs to PC when I retired 3 years ago to save a little money, I decided it wasn’t something I needed to save money on. I prefer the Macs. Unfortunately, it won’t likely be delivered until early February.

Stopped by the liquor store to get some sambuca for DW. All this talk of high end whiskey got me craving another bottle of Redbreast 21. Didn't have that so I got some Redbreast 12 instead. See how that tastes. Saved me $300. I asked about a bottle of Louis XIII. They didn't have any. Thank goodness.

Wrong store :). Try again

No, people still have not gotten it right about me. :)

I have more money than I spend. I do not need to save money, just not wanting to waste it. I spend money only on things I want.

I just don't want to spend money just for the sake of spending. In fact, spending money wrongly brings you grief, not pleasure.

I get it and can relate! With all that money you haven't been spending you will be able to vacation like the rich and famous at some time.

You could never overspend on gardening in a back yard, something you don't mind spending money on. Unless you bought an orchard or get into gardening in a big way.

Wrong store :). Try again

+1. :)

Total Wine has the small 50 ml (single shot) of Louis XIII. Price: $530.

Perfect size to blow the dough, one shot at a time.

15563443339294.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom