Garage shelving units - Recommendations

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'd like to purchase two or three sturdy, capacious free-standing shelf units for our large garage, to hold cleaning and yard chemicals, fertilizer, flowerpots, and the kinds of tools and other items (trimmer, chainsaw, etc.) that don't lend themselves to tool racks. Let's say 6 feet tall, 3-4 feet wide, 2 feet deep.

I do not want wire units, or any shelves with mesh or other openings - prefer solid shelves.

Mostly considering heavy-duty plastic or resin rather than metal, for easier cleaning and to avoid rust. Still, I'm not 100% convinced that plastic shelves are sturdy enough; have never had them before, and it's hard to tell from the few models on display in Home Depot.

Does anyone have good-performing shelf units to recommend? Thank you!

I can't recommend any particular unit yet, but I'm looking at these Trinity-Pro units. They sell them at Costco but I don't see just the cabinets. Unfortunately, they're pretty expensive. It might be cheaper to have someone build some nice wood units. I agree with you that I'd stay away from plastic. I think there are some good uses for heavy duty plastic, but I think their main benefit is for outdoor use where rust is a problem. I don't think plastic is necessarily the most durable material. Also, I don't like how plastic units are put together. They don't have anywhere near the fit and finish of a metal or wood cabinet.

https://www.trinityii.com/TRINITY-PRO-Garage-Locker-Cabinet-Black

We used to have solid, heavy-duty plastic shelving units in the garage like the ones you describe. They were plenty strong enough, but the contents would get dusty and dirty just from being in the garage. Readily available at home center stores.

We replaced them with build-in cabinets with doors that are mounted to the walls. The contents stay clean and dust-free and the garage has a cleaner, less cluttered look.

This is the company we used and we are happy with them. There are other companies as well if you search for them.
https://www.wereorganized.net/

Well, I was going to recommend the wire racks but you seem to have disqualified them. Nonetheless, we have several that I purchased for next to nothing at a restaurant auction. The only difference from the picture is that ours have wheels. They were super easy to disassemble and reassemble. I have put plywood down on a couple shelves for leaky items (like the chainsaw).

The shelves are easily adjustable and really, they are my favorite shelves. We have some large industrial ones from Home Depot, but they are heavy and were a pain to put together, so would not buy those again.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 56
Do you have a Menard's? Their stock shelving along with different shelving options worked well for us.

We used in the garage, basement, and interestingly enough, we used one as a desk/hutch unit for office.

The problem I see is that your dimensions are not what is normally out there from the little I know...

I bought the bigger version of these below... it is higher than you want so put this one up, but it is not as deep.

The only thing that I do not like about them is the wood is not a good grade and will warp over time... I have replaced most of my shelfs with a strong plywood used for roofing... no warping on those.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Edsal-G...6-in-W-x-60-in-H-x-18-in-D-UR361860/100203714

These are steel, not plastic, but they're either powder-coated or have an epoxy coating to prevent rust, I forget which. We have three of these in the basement, I like them a lot and I'm thinking about buying a fourth.

They are NOT lightweight and the specs say each shelf can hold up to 1,000 lbs for a total of 5,000 lbs. Yikes, we're nowhere near that but I did want something sturdy. They are very easy to assemble and with both of us, the first one took about 20-25 minutes and we were down to about 10 minutes for the last one. Having a "third hand" to help is highly recommend although it could be done solo, but awkwardly so.

They are out of stock at the moment at Home Depot where I bought them on sale but they are available elsewhere. Or HD will let you know when they're back in stock.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiat...in-W-x-72-in-H-x-24-in-D-GARK485XGG/301657823

Attachments

• gladiator shelves.JPG
    gladiator shelves.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 43
The garage, like the house, is built of concrete blocks with drywall. There are no studs to mount anything to the walls.

We replaced them with build-in cabinets with doors that are mounted to the walls. The contents stay clean and dust-free and the garage has a cleaner, less cluttered look.

Probably optimistic, but I'm hoping to keep the dust and dirt to a minimum by keeping the garage doors closed as much as possible, and not storing peat moss in the garage (lol that stuff is the dirtiest). Just had an inverter mini-split installed to help reduce the humidity, so that's an incentive to keep the doors down.

It's true that the solid plastic shelves are readily available - too available! I cannot tell which ones to choose.

We used to have solid, heavy-duty plastic shelving units in the garage like the ones you describe. They were plenty strong enough, but the contents would get dusty and dirty just from being in the garage. Readily available at home center stores.

l]

These are steel, not plastic, but they're either powder-coated or have an epoxy coating to prevent rust, I forget which. We have three of these in the basement, I like them a lot and I'm thinking about buying a fourth.

They are NOT lightweight and the specs say each shelf can hold up to 1,000 lbs for a total of 5,000 lbs. Yikes, we're nowhere near that but I did want something sturdy. They are very easy to assemble and with both of us, the first one took about 20-25 minutes and we were down to about 10 minutes for the last one. Having a "third hand" to help is highly recommend although it could be done solo, but awkwardly so.

They are out of stock at the moment at Home Depot where I bought them on sale but they are available elsewhere. Or HD will let you know when they're back in stock.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiat...in-W-x-72-in-H-x-24-in-D-GARK485XGG/301657823

I put 6 of those into our storage shed 13 years ago, and they are holding up fine. I also bought one to put in the container at the railroad where we are working on a switch engine.

The photo looks great, Walt, unfortunately they are out of stock here too!

I guess everyone's preferences can differ. We used to have this type of wire shelving; I hated it because a) cleaners and chemicals in spray cans become unstable and fall over and b) anything powdery falls through to the floor, and hides under the unit where it becomes a pain to clean up. I don't really want to have to put down plywood on top of the shelf. So, that's why I eliminated wire shelving from consideration.

Now if I could get them for next to nothing, as you did, I might be willing to mess with that plywood....

Well, I was going to recommend the wire racks but you seem to have disqualified them. Nonetheless, we have several that I purchased for next to nothing at a restaurant auction. The only difference from the picture is that ours have wheels. They were super easy to disassemble and reassemble. I have put plywood down on a couple shelves for leaky items (like the chainsaw).

The garage, like the house, is built of concrete blocks with drywall. There are no studs to mount anything to the walls.

Two of our wall-mounted cabinets are mounted on an exterior wall directly to the concrete block garage wall with concrete screws. The other two are mounted to interior walls using the studs behind drywall.

Mounting to concrete block walls can be done.

I have 2 of the resin shelving units in our garage... about 6' high, 3' wide and 2' deep. great for storage. I prefer the shelves similar to the picture above over solid but Home Depot has both.

SAM's Club Seville Classics. I outfitted my whole garage with these types.
Here's their tall cabinet;

https://www.samsclub.com/p/tall-storage-cabinet-stainless-doors/prod14570055?_br_psugg_q=seville

Do a search for 'seville classics' on their site to see all their cabinets. I really like that they roll and were very easy to assemble. They even include a magnetic screw driver for assembly.

0001764116236_C

They have a smaller version without wheels too. I have wheels on all mine, makes it easy to clean garage. They have locking cabinets for the chemicals and tools if that's an issue. I ordered all mine on line and delivered. Assembly required, but as I said, very easy and instructions well written. A pleasure to assemble. No shipping fees either. SAM's puts them on sale a couple times a year, but limit color choice if that matters.

Last edited:
^^^ Did I accidentally click on the Blow That Dough thread?

Actually, not as expensive as it looks.

These are beautiful. Are they deep, though? I find shallow shelves to be very frustrating - anything less than 16" deep.

SAM's Club Seville Classics. I outfitted my whole garage with these types.
Here's their tall cabinet;

https://www.samsclub.com/p/tall-storage-cabinet-stainless-doors/prod14570055?_br_psugg_q=seville

Do a search for 'seville classics' on their site to see all their cabinets. I really like that they roll and were very easy to assemble. They even include a magnetic screw driver for assembly.

0001764116236_C

They have a smaller version without wheels too. I have wheels on all mine, makes it easy to clean garage. They have locking cabinets for the chemicals and tools if that's an issue. I ordered all mine on line and delivered. Assembly required, but as I said, very easy and instructions well written. A pleasure to assemble. No shipping fees either. SAM's puts them on sale a couple times a year, but limit color choice if that matters.

These are beautiful. Are they deep, though? I find shallow shelves to be very frustrating - anything less than 16" deep.

Click the link and scroll down to see all their products. I think mine is 16" deep but they make them as much as 24" deep and 60" wide. Solid shelves, wheels to move if you need to, won't rust and lockable. Keeps everything clean and I don't need to put everything in another box on a shelf that I have to dig thought to find what I want. Just open the cabinet doors and find it. I hate open shelves where everything is in a box you have to dig though. Bah! :LOL:

That's on my project list. I want my garage to look clean like that. Epoxy floor and everything in a cabinet. I have a nice shed for a lot of things, but I don't have a basement so I want nice clean storage in the garage. I am even thinking about heating it. Just enough so I can store home canned food without it freezing (exploding). Those Seville cabinets look nice at a nice price.

Thanks...any particular brand? The brands and prices for resin units online seem to be all over the place.

I have 2 of the resin shelving units in our garage... about 6' high, 3' wide and 2' deep. great for storage. I prefer the shelves similar to the picture above over solid but Home Depot has both.

Back
Top Bottom