I watched my first inauguration in 40 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

firewhen

Recycles dryer sheets
I remember the long college winter recess was not quite over yet. I guess I could have taken off from work in future years, but I never did. When Jan 20 falls on a Sunday they move all the festivities to Monday. 2001 was a Saturday but I dont remember what I did. More importantly, it was so nice to be able to watch this year without worrying about any obligations. Also, throughout all the twists and turns with the election and the aftermath, it has almost become a hobby with me watching all the news and commentary. Timing was good having retired on Sep 30 last year. (Not trying to be political here, 1981 was Ronald Reagan and 2021 Joe Biden and I enjoyed the pageantry of each.) Anyone else turning into a news junkie in their spare/FIRE time?

not me!!!! i stopped watching all news except for local weather several months ago when the news took sides. i am not overjoyed.

Anyone else turning into a news junkie in their spare/FIRE time?

No news junkie for me and for many reasons. If I watch TV it is anything but the news.

I would of rather watched paint dry.

Last edited:
I used to be a news junkie but there’s no actual news on any more. At least none that doesn’t Jack my blood pressure!

In answer to the question posed, yeah, I'm a news junkie. In response to the post title, I have watched most of them and attended a few. I can normally walk down to the Mall and surf the edges of the crowd. That was not possible this year. In 2008 I had to walk from Capitol Hill all the way to the Washington Monument to find room to watch. DW had tickets and got closer.

Attachments

• IMG_1168.jpg
    IMG_1168.jpg
    707.2 KB · Views: 49
  • CIMG4724.jpg
    CIMG4724.jpg
    551.1 KB · Views: 48
In before thread lock.

we don't do ibtl here... and most of us know exactly how to behave within the community rules, thankfully.

We watched it, I also like the pageantry the sense of occasion, always have been interested, no matter the outcomes.

I was surprised just how many people were there. The poetry was beautiful. I'm glad they still pulled together an appropriate event.

Can’t imagine watching an inauguration. The news clips of the swearing in and the other highlights are fine for me. I do appreciate the comment from the OP about being able to do something that was not possible, or at least not practical, while working. Retirement is filled with many of those experiences and they are fantastic, no matter how simple they may seem.

As for news - that is something I struggle with. Generally, I gravitate toward watching the news. Unfortunately, I find it very problematic. It’s just too negatively focused. I’ve also watched many of the channels and it’s shocking how much variation there is in how events are reported. I now try to limit my news watching to a half hour from the local TV station and I try to stay most focused on the weather forecast. That’s actually about the only thing that actually impacts my life anyway.

We watched it all and the concert and fireworks, too, which made realize, “Wow, we’re retired!” when friends texted us, “What did we miss?”

we don't do ibtl here... and most of us know exactly how to behave within the community rules, thankfully.
Thank you for the words of wisdom.

I have watched more news than in previous years. It is difficult to switch away from news channels to something else, but I manage to find something on Netflix or Prime that is just escapism. I prefer multi-device setting, with escapism on the big screen, and news on the much smaller tablet on my lap.

I did watch the inauguration, and was glad to see it complete successfully without incident. Highlights for me were Amanda Gordon, and then Harris-Pence goodbyes on the Capitol steps.

I'm definitely reading more books on important subjects, as it is very difficult to get background through popular media.

We just watched the end of the celebration with Demi Lovato, John Legend, Kate Perry and the fireworks. Kate Perry was outstanding and so were the fireworks.

I listened to much of the inauguration on my old radio while painting the pool deck. Songs and speeches were great. To me, the simplicity and lack of crowd noise were a relief, compared with the typical ballyhoo. So nice to again be able to understand every word the President was saying, whether or not one agrees with him politically (Note: I'm an Independent; no party tells me what to think). Also a fine contrast to the horrible, screaming mayhem in the very same spot two weeks prior.

I was not as enamored of the poem as many seem to be. It was okay, anodyne, she's got room to grow.

Last edited:
I started watching Presidential politics as a teen, with the Watergate hearings. My parents watched a lot of TV in the evenings. But dad was very politically involved, and our garage was a polling place for at least two decades. I had no significant access to TV, nor much interest, from 1980-late 1990s. I had no TV access from 1979-1985, so missed Reagan's inauguration. Then was busy working, raising a family, etc. all the time for the next 30 years.

We started watching some political shows after 9/11, as well as news. We have started calling it "outrage TV" and recognize it for what it is.

But this inauguration was different. Due to the pandemic and the riot on 1/6, the Capitol area and the National Mall were all closed to the public. Part of our interest was to see how they pulled it off. I thought the celebration show was very well put together. The fireworks were outstanding, and probably could not have been pulled off safely if there was a large crowd. One pundit laughingly said they probably used up the nation's supply of fireworks!
It's up there with the 1986 NY Harbor celebration of the Statue of Liberty for a quality show, and was much shorter of course.

The Katy Perry's song "Firework" and the fireworks display is worth a few minutes of time, IMO. Here it is on youtube:

Mod Note:

Several posts have been made, attempting, with failed subtlety, to virtue signal partisan leanings. They have been removed.

Knock if off, or the thread will be closed.

Did not watch... Live or replays.

Actually I watch very little news anymore.... Maybe a hour a week... At best. Most of what I get is from watching the talking heads on the business programs.

Last edited:
I bet the DC violence a few weeks earlier increased the TV viewership. Thankfully, the only stuff on TV was what was planned.

Turns out I watched the main speech. I didn't intend to, but we have a TV with Kodi on a Raspberry Pi that DW turned on to watch while doing something else in that room. It offered to update and she said "yes". Then it didn't work because a plug-in needed updating. I got the thing updated just before the main event, so stayed to watch just that.

Two part question: 1) the inauguration, and 2) the news.

Didn't watch the inauguration, have never bothered much with any of them. I think our Government "of the People" should have less Pomp & Circumstance. You're in office, now get sworn in and get to work (for the People)!

I watch less and less news, as the quality has declined from poor to just awful/dangerous over the years. I tell people, if they hear something on the news that is going to have an effect on them, ignore it until/unless you are going to take the time to search out the source information, and then see if you can come to a conclusion from that. I think most people would be shocked at how the "news" is manipulating information. In many cases it's not hard - go to C-Span, or sometimes youtube and find original unedited video of an event, and then see how the media has clipped, taken out of context, and just outright lied about what was said. It's sickening. And there is also the cherry-picking of what is and what is not reported.

So no, I watch very little news, and suggest that you do some research before accepting anything you hear on the 'news'. And that applies to more than the political arena, anything technical, the environment, etc. Probably everything. And if you don't want to do the research, another option is to just assume they are wrong, you'll probably be better informed that way. It's really that bad.

-ERD50

Glad many enjoyed the Inauguration ceremony.

We've been to two "live" and enjoyed them very much. Had fun at the balls that evening as well.

This was the first Inauguration we have not watched in 40 years......Wednesday morning was my colonoscopy. Lucky me.

We watched it all and the concert and fireworks, too, which made realize, “Wow, we’re retired!” when friends texted us, “What did we miss?”

Oh we missed the fireworks!

We watched most of the midday stuff. The JCIC stream quality was so excellent we left it on. Got a really nice detailed tour of the Capitol building too.

We’ve watched several inaugurations over the years.

Last edited:
I missed the evening activities, so it's nice to be reminded of those, and get to watch on youtube.

Land of Hope and Dreams by Bruce Springsteen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom