No Goals: Complacency or Contentment?

Lucie

Recycles dryer sheets
I am 56, FI, semi-retired and enjoying my glide path to early retirement. I have always been strongly goal-driven and continue to advocate for goal setting among my patients and coachees. Since I have financially “won the game” I feel no strong push to focus on goal driven behaviors, both personally and professionally. Financially, I could retire fully, but I truly enjoy my job and find it fulfilling to help others.

I am the typical “Type A personality” always working multiple jobs, no patience for idle time, etc. I’ve always had the entrepreneur mindset, where I was always thinking of the next business, blog or marketing venture. My transition from psychotherapy practice to Pain Management Coaching and Physician Coaching has gone well. I know it makes sense that I no longer need to focus on marketing or filling every open slot in my day, but I find that I am feeling the same in my personal life.

I continue to be motivated and have the typical aims of exercise, being emotionally and physically healthy. I no longer feel the need to set goals to challenge myself to greater achievements. This is so foreign to me, that I am confused as to whether I should embrace it as a sign of contentment or am I just being complacent?

Is this a common experience for people transitioning into FIRE?

I had a Wall Street type A personality and career. Now however in retirement, I am just driven to stay healthy, keep finances reasonable, enjoy relationships and stay happy.
I am not driven by definitive goal oriented results, but do strive to keep things going well overall.

Similar in terms of career: long terms goals, short term goals, to-do lists, etc. But now I have a singular goal: Don't Die Yet. It's my Prime Directive. All else is secondary. This planet, this existence is just too amazing to let go of too soon.

I’m always more content if I have goals. Maybe there aren’t as many, and they aren’t as significant as during my career while working toward FI, but I still have goals even though I’ve been retired for 9 years. Just part of my makeup, undoubtedly unnecessary for some - IOW I’m not advocating one over the other.

I'd say set goals for things you want and don't do it just for the purpose of having goals. Goals can work against you too. Suppose you set some work-related goal but something else like a bad situation at work, or health issues with you or your family make you want to retire. You shouldn't be burdened by an artificial goal to keep you there. At least be ready to jettison those goals if they turn out to be not in your best interests.

When retiring, I had an overall philosophical shift away from accumulating resources and things (and their concomitant goals), to enjoying experiences. Where before, growing investments, acquiring new (and better) cars, jewelry, real estate, electronics, etc. was the goal, now travel, spending time with friends, exploring and participating in interesting activities and health are my focus. When COVID came around, much of this shifted, but I bought a Peloton and home gym equipment and continued to work out. Instead of worldwide travel, we’ve taken many day trips, picnics, etc. in our new area. And, no new cars for the past 3 years!!!

I think everyone worries, pre-retirement, what they will do with their time. As retirement happens, however, we come to wonder how we could possibly have had the time to hold a full-time job.

With your background I’d suggest exploring volunteer opportunities with the Red Cross. There is a vast array of “worker bee” jobs locally (blood bank, etc.) and in responding to disasters. Also, a surprising number of what you might call line management jobs are held by unpaid volunteers. https://www.redcross.org/volunteer/become-a-volunteer.html#step1

Thank you all for your responses. I'm struggling to accept the feeling content having no specific goals (for now). I feel like I just completed a marathon and can slow down and catch my breath for a while until I'm ready to begin another challenge. Goal directed behavior is in my makeup so it probably won't last long.

I'm hoping that this is typical for those entering ER.

I've always been lazy and apathetic - so this whole perpetually indolent gig has worked out well for me.

When I sold my business I had to sign a non-compete agreement.

So I'm very content and complacent. I'm doing my job of non-competing and I'm good at it.

I may have specific project goals or similar for smaller things. But for now most of my activity is more just doing status check that things are going along as I wanted. I don't have any new longer term goals. I agree that it takes a while to get into the retirement mindset.

Thank you all for your responses. I'm struggling to accept the feeling content having no specific goals (for now). I feel like I just completed a marathon and can slow down and catch my breath for a while until I'm ready to begin another challenge. Goal directed behavior is in my makeup so it probably won't last long.

I gave myself permission to just decompress for 6 months after ERing without thinking about long term plans or goals. That was a good move for me. We also did a lot of experimenting that first year, trying different things, and it became clear what were long term interests, and what was not.

We knew were were going to do a lot of travel, and I already had one trip lined up for just after retirement, and arranged a couple more immediate trips once I was retired. Then everything kind of fell into place. We did a huge amount of traveling the next two years.

I can't say. I've always had a lazy streak and aspired to early retirement since I was in my 20s. I will say that the longer I'm retired, the less ambitious I am and the less I care what others think I should be doing or planning.

My work is a combination of evolving strategies and execution priorities, impossible project deadlines and fussy corporate politics. There is no paucity of goals and objectives for each minute of my day (and many nights and weekends) to achieve goals that have been determined for me and to which I am held accountable.

The one strategic priority and goal that I haven’t had the chance to pursue, though, is me.

As I look to retirement in eight months, I also look forward to defining myself (my needs, my health, my happiness, my spirit) as the goal. The executables against that goal will make sense when they are needed — travel, more exercise, meditation, rest. . .

I don’t think it needs to be more complicated than that.

I can't say. I've always had a lazy streak and aspired to early retirement since I was in my 20s.

I've known since my mid-20s that I wanted to be able to retire fairly young. In those days, I was thinking 55. It turned out to be 60.

I still have a to-do list and things I want to get done, whether they be hiking, home projects, organizing, or travel (someday). But, I'm reaching the point where I can sometimes decide that I'm doing nothing today.

I've always been lazy and apathetic - so this whole perpetually indolent gig has worked out well for me.

Y'know, this has the makings of a good tagline in it.

Of course, this whole thread has many such makings.:LOL:

I was type A and had goals when I was working full time. But a few years of working part time, selling my share of a business, and moving into full retirement has eliminated any desire to have goals. I no longer have any goals. Other than to get up every day and enjoy life as much as possible.

I was type A and had goals when I was working full time. But a few years of working part time, selling my share of a business, and moving into full retirement has eliminated any desire to have goals. I no longer have any goals. Other than to get up every day and enjoy life as much as possible.

Best line ever. Thank you.

I'm set. I have a list. Actually, a bunch of lists. They're around here somewhere.

Doesn't matter what is "typical". What matters is how "you" feel. You say like you feel you just completed a marathon and need to slow down and catch your breath? That's ok.

Slow down, catch your breath, and enjoy these moments. Take some time to reflect. The wheels and cogs will click, and your next worthwhile challenge will present when you are ready for it.

Never had goals and never will. I'm a type C personality - :)

I still like my cat naps I take in the afternoon. Nothing beats retiring early!

Back
Top Bottom