Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Is There Any Yearning to Be Recognized for Your FIRE Success? (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/is-there-any-yearning-to-be-recognized-for-your-fire-success-107864.html)

RobbieB 02-11-2021 06:39 PM

I like to keep a low profile too.

I don't need recognition. Not going to work M-F is reward enough - :)

RetireeRobert 02-11-2021 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoolRich59 (Post 2559732)
......... In fact, I was talking to one of my nieces during the holidays. She asked if I was able to w*rk from home during covid and was surprised when I told her I'd been retired for close to three years. :)

That little interaction must have at least given you a little buzz! :dance:

pb4uski 02-11-2021 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall (Post 2559584)
We've been called the Clampetts by the neighbors but I'm RE and they are not. Suck eggs!

I suspect that some of of my BILs view us as "cheap" because we don't spend lavishly, we don't have many high-end brand name things, we have driven rather pedestrian cars for decades and usually keep them for a long time... no Mercedes, BMWs etc that get traded every 3-4 years wheher they need to or not for us. But we've been retired for 9 years and they are still working... so, whatever!

CoolRich59 02-11-2021 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetireeRobert (Post 2559745)
That little interaction must have at least given you a little buzz! :dance:

Sure did! ;D

Bigdawg 02-11-2021 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 2559599)
I'm sure you're one of those fancy purebreds.

He's the boxer on the left with the full house.

Koolau 02-12-2021 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capitalhockey (Post 2559367)
I have been living below my means for 20 years while climbing up the corporate ladder. I invested extra funds from promotions and bonuses to get to my FIRE goal. I am FI and will work for another 10 years until RE.

From the outside, no one can tell my financial net worth. I live in smaller house than I can afford, drive old reliable cars with scratches and my wife jokes that I dress like a homeless guy. I like to wear socks until they have holes in them. I prefer my old jacket and don't buy much new clothes. I prefer my sweat pants to name brand outfits. I only dress up for work with a suit and tie.

On the other hand, I have a brother who lives in a big house with heavy credit card debts. He has a flashy car, latest phones/TVs and lavish gifts to others. Everyone thinks he is very successful even though he is living paycheck to paycheck.

Is there any yearning to be recognized for your FIRE success?

As indicated by others, only by my peers here on the ER forum. :coolsmiley: Otherwise, the expression "under the RADAR" comes to mind. YMMV

HawkOwl 02-12-2021 06:19 AM

We live in the age of jealousy. There is absolutely no advantage to being recognized as financially independent. I would rather fly below the radar screen.

Andre1969 02-12-2021 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall (Post 2559584)
We've been called the Clampetts by the neighbors but I'm RE and they are not. Suck eggs!

Hell, I've called myself that, from time to time...so I don't take it as an insult! :p

Andre1969 02-12-2021 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb4uski (Post 2559782)
I suspect that some of of my BILs view us as "cheap" because we don't spend lavishly, we don't have many high-end brand name things, we have driven rather pedestrian cars for decades and usually keep them for a long time... no Mercedes, BMWs etc that get traded every 3-4 years wheher they need to or not for us. But we've been retired for 9 years and they are still working... so, whatever!

Years ago, I had a co-worker whose parents were pretty well-off. His father had been some high-up executive at Chrysler, and they could get some kind of employee pricing on their cars. One time, the mother traded a 1999 Concorde for a 2001 LHS, because all her friends had seen her in the other car! Sounded like an I Love Lucy episode, with Lucy's rationale for getting a new dress!

Unfortunately, my co-worker tended to get into the same living-large spending habits. But he didn't have the bank account to back it up, like his parents did. Sadly, it all came crumbling down eventually. Last I heard, he and his wife are now on disability, and living in some really low cost of living area in Appalachia. They had two daughters, but I think the daughters learned from their parents mistakes, and made choices that were much more level-headed, when it came to finances.

retire48in2018 02-12-2021 07:04 AM

When you FIRE, it will be understood that you LBYM to do that.

Some don't consider LBYM, and don't think about retirement or saving up for themselves.

There are a few that I have been able to mentor, and that, to me, brings great joy.

big-papa 02-12-2021 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capitalhockey (Post 2559367)
I have been living below my means for 20 years while climbing up the corporate ladder. I invested extra funds from promotions and bonuses to get to my FIRE goal. I am FI and will work for another 10 years until RE.

From the outside, no one can tell my financial net worth. I live in smaller house than I can afford, drive old reliable cars with scratches and my wife jokes that I dress like a homeless guy. I like to wear socks until they have holes in them. I prefer my old jacket and don't buy much new clothes. I prefer my sweat pants to name brand outfits. I only dress up for work with a suit and tie.

On the other hand, I have a brother who lives in a big house with heavy credit card debts. He has a flashy car, latest phones/TVs and lavish gifts to others. Everyone thinks he is very successful even though he is living paycheck to paycheck.

Is there any yearning to be recognized for your FIRE success?

No. Couldn't care less what others think about that. To me, work has always been about enabling life, not being life. And for me, life is more about "doing" rather than "having".

I see a great example today in our nextdoor neighbors. They've only been there a few years. They appear to be in their late 40's/early 50's. He's not worked outside the house since they moved here. She worked for the first few years, but not anymore. They are the consummate do-it-your-selfers and are constantly working on the interior of their house and truly enjoy it. They bought a used class B camper recently and are frequently off on adventures.

Cheers.

jollystomper 02-12-2021 07:20 AM

The only person I care about recognizing my FIRE success is my DW, and she gives much more credit than I deserve for it.

Golden sunsets 02-12-2021 07:28 AM

We follow the same low profile as most LBYMers here. We've lived in our house for 30 years. It's a very nice neighborhood, but our house is the smallest. Despite many blow out years income wise we never upgraded. We never joined the country club unlike most of our children's friend's parents. We drive nice cars but keep them for 10 or more years. One of our cars is 13 years old. Our Withdrawal rate is never more than 1/2 of 1%. The fact of the matter is we like saving more than spending. That I think is our biggest problem.

Markola 02-12-2021 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclemick (Post 2559643)
Time marches on. Now we are regular old 'phart' and 'phartet' of retirement age. Aka 70's.:

Good point. Being odd duck early retirees is only a temporary state until most of one’s cohort joins you in retirement.

skyking1 02-12-2021 08:52 AM

In my case, my DW deserves more credit than I do. I just want to spend time with her doing things we enjoy while we can. Nothing there to brag about, and I am still full of doubts that we have enough to make the move to retirement.
What I do take pride and credit for is my being able to do everything. I remodeled the entire interior of our home for pennies on the dollar, building my own cabinets and only hiring out some plumbing because I'm not that fond of heavy work in crawlspaces. I will build our last home most likely, and only hire out the odious tasks like concrete and drywall. Two repaired rotator cuffs just say NO to drywall!

Andre1969 02-12-2021 09:35 AM

I have no desire to be recognized for retiring early, or having it be the main thing people associate me with. I tend to be a serious live-below-my-means type, but I think I might have blown my cover a bit, a few years ago. I bought a new house, more house than I need, with a large yard and a swimming pool. It's definitely extravagant, compared to what I'm accustomed to. But, it still counts as living below my means, if I could have bought an even fancier house if I wanted to, right?

Anyway, I'm still working, so that might have lessened the shock, somewhat. And, I haven't actually had anyone come right out and question where I got the money to buy that much house. Well, I take that back. My Mom asked me if I was going to be okay with that big of a mortgage, but she was doing it more out of concern for me, than any kind of snooping.

Still, I've learned to watch what I say. For instance, a few years back, I made a comment about going back to the old house to sort through some stuff, and they just responded with "Wait? You have TWO houses..." I backtracked pretty quickly with "yes, I haven't been able to sell the old one yet, so the carrying costs of two houses at the same time is killing me!" But still, I could see the little hamster wheel in their brain spinning, trying to process it, and thinking "Two houses = lots of money!"

My work sent us home to telecommute in March of last year, just a few weeks before my 50th birthday. I don't really talk much to the neighbors out here in the new neighborhood. It's a rural enough area that the mailboxes are all on the same side of the road, so my neighbor across the street has to come over to my side to get his mail. We've chatted a few times, and in the small talk, I do remember mentioning once about how I'm trying to get used to this work-from-home stuff. So, when I do finally retire, I don't think it would raise any eyebrows from them, as they're used to seeing me around the house all the time, anyway. Plus, I've never really gotten past the "driveway small talk" phase with them.

I have a feeling that once I do retire, most people won't even notice. If everything goes as planned, it will probably be within the next year or two (I keep suffering from OMY syndrome). So that would put me at 51-52, maybe barely into 53. My Mom will question it, I know, but again, mostly out of concern. The old, "can you really afford it" type of things. She's retired, having gone out at 62, but she was federal government, under the old CSRS system, and gets a nice pension. Medical is pretty good too I think, so she's fairly secure.

When I'm out and about, I'm usually driving my 2003 Buick Regal, with 100,000 miles, a couple dents, and no hubcaps. I'm usually in jeans and a t-shirt, and either sneakers or boots, depending on the weather. And usually not expensive, flashy ones. So for the most part, when most people look at me, I don't think I exactly scream "MONEY" ;D

Nick12 02-12-2021 09:43 AM

Low profile all the way. Showing off can at times attract the wrong crowd.

Amethyst 02-12-2021 09:50 AM

I'm not wired to crave recognition, and tend to stay out of the limelight. You'll never see me on a committee, board, etc.

However, Mr. A. and I like nice things, so although we've always lived below our means, it only went so far with us.

Nemo2 02-12-2021 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amethyst (Post 2560006)
However, Mr. A. and I like nice things

Ah.....a whole new thread looms: "What do you classify as 'nice things'?" - that should keep everyone busy for a few pages. :laugh:

Winemaker 02-12-2021 10:13 AM

We have always flew under the radar, until some neighbors noticed that we didn't go to w*rk anymore. Then they asked our age, as I have had white hair since I was 50, when I told them a young 56, they were shocked. Although we always LBYM, we did have a BTD moment in November 2019, when we had a great deal on a used pristine Mercedes.

Years ago, when the city inspector came for his annual inspection at one of our rentals, he noticed a new flashy Jaguar parked out front. He smirked that it must be great to be a landlord. I told him it was, renting to doctors who drive Jags. I showed him my aged Chevy pickup.

The doctor moved out years ago to purchase a house in the same neighborhood, and has bought out a thriving practice, 3 doors down from another one of our rentals.