RIP - Marvelous Marvin Hagler

Koogie

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm not a huge sports fan, being mostly into baseball and boxing. But when I was a kid I did a little boxing and it was during the era of the Middleweight Kings. Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas "Hitman" Hearns, Roberto "No Mas" Duran and my favorite, Marvelous Marvin Hagler.

Marvin died yesterday at 66. No cause as yet released.

RIP Champ.

Attachments

• 1pH8M0Jo.jpg
    1pH8M0Jo.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 42
He grew up in Brockton MA. Which is a rough part of Boston. RIP MMH.

The Hagler-Hearns fight was one of the best I've ever seen, only lasted 3 rounds but an all out slugfest.

Remember him well, growing up in Massachusetts. Apparently he lived here in NH. That 3 rounds with Hearns was an incredible fight.

Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas "Hitman" Hearns, Roberto "No Mas" Duran and my favorite, Marvelous Marvin Hagler.

I had totally lost interest in boxing until these guys came on the scene. I was a Sugar Ray fan. Loved when he would wind up with one fist and then punch the opponent with the other. The opponent never saw it coming.

RIP-Marvin Hagler. Strange that the family doesn't want to say what he died off. I guess, it's private. But still a bit odd, IMO.

Since the RIP for Leon Spinks about a couple months ago I've been watching old boxing matches on youtube.

The Hagler-Hearns fight was just wild. Both whaling on each other the entire first round.

Last edited:
Unlike most boxers Hagler was pretty good managing his money, estimated to be worth close to $50M.

Retired at 32* and worth 50MM. He was an E-R role model as well !

*we'll ignore his second career as an actor in Italy.

I had totally lost interest in boxing until these guys came on the scene. I was a Sugar Ray fan. Loved when he would wind up with one fist and then punch the opponent with the other. The opponent never saw it coming.

I liked the Tyson era of heavyweights as well that followed them but that Tyson era couldn't match this one (for me) because of the lack of quality opponents.

These four guys were all class (most of the time), incredibly well matched against each other and all produced legendary fights.

The depth of talent of the era was probably only second to the Ali/Foreman/Frazier/Holmes era.

RIP-Marvin Hagler. Strange that the family doesn't want to say what he died off. I guess, it's private. But still a bit odd, IMO.

Since the RIP for Leon Spinks about a couple months ago I've been watching old boxing matches on youtube.

The Hagler-Hearns fight was just wild. Both whaling on each other the entire first round.

Easy you want to see one of the best slugfest fights on youtube, google “George Foreman/Ron Lyle fight”. Now that was the all time best heavyweight brawl fight ever. From the mid 1970s. I think it lasted 5 rounds and they took turns decking each other to the canvas. I think the 5th round Foreman got decked again, and got off the canvas to deck Lyle for the knockout. If memory serves Howard Cosell was on the mic.

Easy you want to see one of the best slugfest fights on youtube, google “George Foreman/Ron Lyle fight”. Now that was the all time best heavyweight brawl fight ever. From the mid 1970s. I think it lasted 5 rounds and they took turns decking each other to the canvas. I think the 5th round Foreman got decked again, and got off the canvas to deck Lyle for the knockout. If memory serves Howard Cosell was on the mic.

Thanks for the reminder. I remember that fight when it happened as well as the Hagler/Hearns.

The greatest fight of all time, for me, was the 1990 Julio Caesar Chavez vs Meldrick Taylor bout. It was Ring magazines fight of the decade for the 1990s.

An incredible fight.

An incredible ending.

The effective end of a career.

Thanks for the reminder. I remember that fight when it happened as well as the Hagler/Hearns.

Easy, If you want to go off beaten track watch the 2002 fight of Larry Holmes vs Butterbean. Holmes was 52 or so then but still had solid control over ol Butterbean, ha.

I met Marvin in a bar south of Boston probably around 1988-1990. He bought me a beer!
It was just him his body guard and me and my buddy at the bar. It was rather early in the evening, nobody else was there. He was a complete gentleman just a great guy and very humble too. He arrived driving a Porsche with his body guard following in an SUV. I'm a car guy so we talked about that too. He said he preferred to drive.
I jokingly asked why he needed a body guard, lol. He said "you'd be surprised how many guys want to fight me" and he couldn't defend himself otherwise he'd be sued.
He made a quite the impression on me. Just a wonderful man.

He grew up in Brockton MA. Which is a rough part of Boston. RIP MMH.

Yes, one of his nicknames was the "Brockton Bomber". I had a work client who was named "Brockton" because his father was a huge Hagler fan but didn't quite want to name him "Marvelous" :).

I used to watch boxing a lot at that time, as there were just so many good fighters in the middle divisions. Although the press portrayed Hagler as sullen and moody, I also heard from others that we was a great person outside the ring, friendly, kind, patient with fans, and generous. RIP.

Multiple posts speculating on Hagler and COVID related matters were removed. Let’s all do our part to make sure COVID does not infect this thread.

One of the kings from the golden age of middle weights, RIP Marvelous Marvin. Sugar Ray is still my all time favorite from that era.

What a great era of middleweights .... Marvin, Thomas, Sugar Ray, Duran ... the Hearns/Hagler fight sticks in my mind as an epic battle.

SUGAR RAY LEONARD: IF MY WIN OVER MARVIN HAGLER COULD BE REVERSED TO BRING HIM BACK, I WOULD GIVE IT AWAY
https://www.ringtv.com/619284-sugar...ersed-to-bring-him-back-i-would-give-it-away/

"""“Marvelous Marvin Hagler was one of the greatest middleweight champions of all time,” stated Leonard before closing off with the most poignant of statements. “I can’t believe I’m saying it, but it’s true: If my win from April 6, 1987 at Caesars Palace could be reversed to bring him back now, I would give it away. That’s how much…”

The great Sugar Ray didn’t finish that sentence. Following a pause, he said simply, “Do you get me?” I got him and there was no need for me to ask any more questions."""

--

I was also happy to read elsewhere in Ring Magazine that these days Tommy Hearns and Ray Leonard are great friends. Life hasn't been overly kind to Tommy Hearns. The other three guys made out pretty good, so it was nice to read that.

It sounds like MMH could have written the book for all athletes to preserve their money for retirement. RIP

BoxRec's 'Marvin Hagler' site: https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/8684

Be sure to click on any of the links in his career fight record page that lead to many thousands of other links--from the date of each bout [click on any date of any bout to see what other fights occurred that date], his opponents (and their links), his wiki profile, etc...and, if you're a boxing fan, you'll be "lost in the sauce" for hours.

For example, here's his BoxRec wiki page (the link to which is one of the many links atop his 'career record' page above... and it leads to many other BoxRec links about boxing history):
https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Marvin_Hagler

Last edited:
Way too soon. Great great fighter, who never quite got his due I don't think.

Epic era. After losing disputed decision to Leonard, he went to Italy to become a movie star.

What a life!

Back
Top Bottom