area rug on top of wall to wall carpet bunching up

ImThinkin2019

Recycles dryer sheets
Anyone have any experience solving the problem of having an area rug bunching up when placed on top of wall to wall carpeting? After moving the rug which used to be on a hardwood floor and stayed flat is now wrinkled and won't lie flat. Rug is big - 10 x 12, heavy and thick. Was only rolled up for 24 hours before being rolled out again. Based on my current research seems like I need a pad underneath but don't know what to get that will be successful. Please let me know if you have had a good experience with a particular product or product type.

Anyone have any experience solving the problem of having an area rug bunching up when placed on top of wall to wall carpeting?

I am a huge fan of fake oriental throw rugs, and have over half a dozen of them of various sizes (one fairly huge) which I have placed on top of wall to wall carpeting in every place I ever lived in (until my present house, which has wood flooring so they are placed on top of that instead).

Never once had that happen. I can't explain it. My guess is that you are a whole lot more active and energetic than I am! Or maybe you have kids in the house. Sorry that I can't help.

I've tried non-slip pads made to prevent rugs from slipping for a rug on carpet under my computer chair. The rug still bunches up badly. I'd try the tape. I'll probably get a roll myself.

The problem of a throw rug moving when on top of regular carpet is very common. It is related to the way the natural set of the carpet nap works like little fingers each time they are compressed and then rebound. Hard to predict when it will happen; in my house I have a very large rug in one room that never moves, but a medium sized rug in front of the fireplace that just won't stay still.

In my experience, the tape rarely works - it just leaves a layer of goo on your carpet over time. We can usually tame the problem by just putting an old army blanket under the offending rug. A blanket is so much more flexible and stretchy that it is much less affected by the "moving fingers" of the carpet. Sometimes it can be a perfect fix, but other times it just slows down the problem. For my problem rug in front of the fireplace, it helps a huge amount, but I still have to pull the rug back about an inch or so every few weeks.

They sell plastic panels in my local home center. If my rug isn't permanently warped from neglecting un-bunching it I may glue a plastic panel to it in addition to using a non-slip pad. If someone wants to try it before me, let me know how it works out.

I have oriental rugs on top of carpet and have successfully used a very thin pad that looks like a rubber version of expanded metal sheets. it must have the holes.
81uKpdaFfUL._AC_SX569_.jpg

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom