Checklist for FIRE

retire48in2018

Recycles dryer sheets
Don't know if there is one - for actions to do when you retire from company -

Assuming there is not - here are some from my experiences (so far) -

Over time - can make a checklist from all related entries -

1 - Start your own cell phone plan (and phone number) before retiring. Transfer security on financial entities and others to this phone number.

2 - If you backdoor Roth IRA contributions - remember that you can't (shouldn't) roll over your 401k until after year end. (Keeping balance to zero $ allows back door Roth IRA contributions with limited/no tax consequences)

3 - Update emails on games, apps, etc - away from work email to a personal email address before retiring.

4 - Update any IRA contributions, etc as you want to continue - if you have a severance (or vacation, etc) payout over time - especially if this goes over Dec 31.

5 - Clear web browser cache, passwords, and any other items from work computer that needs to be returned - well in advance

6 - Delete (and empty trash can) of any personal documents stored on your work computer - especially financial related documents, etc.

7 -Check that you are not "sync" notes onto your work cell phone (if being returned) as sometimes there might be personal info there as well

8 - Create a new calendar, events and contacts separate from "work email" account on your phone. When server disconnects service, it might erase all related items and your "contacts", Calendar, etc - might get erased as well.

Last edited:
Its a good start for sure.

I never used work email for personal matters. You want your personal email to stay constant in my view. And accordingly I tended not to send personal email from work address. Just good business, but also know work owns those emails and never wanted personal stuff available to them.

There may be work related material that is yours such as copies of Summary Plan Descriptions for benefit plans that remain relevant, employee
handbook, perhaps others you can make sure you have for convenience.

Also if planning any refi or getting HELOC, good idea to get those in place while still employed.

Last edited:
Great idea for a thread. Lots of good reminders.

Could be a lot to unwind, myself included, with the disassociation effort.

Good idea. I would add don’t rollover your 401k if you intend to access it at 55.

Back
Top Bottom