So I am thinking about a new fancy watch...

DawgMan

Full time employment: Posting here.
So, I'm struggling with being indulgent on the purchase of a new fancy watch. I have not bought a new watch in about 15 years. I think I spent $2K+ back then and really appreciated the watch. I have few indulgences (cars & some electronics) where I can get myself to "blow the dough"! My SIL is really into these fancy watches (which he hopes to have one day) and is excited about helping me shop for one. He has done a ton of research on the various brands and is pitching me on it "being an investment". Investment aside, some of these watches are $25K - $35K I am looking at. It sure feels expensive and my frugal gene is telling me "what a ridiculous purchase", yet I know this would have no affect on retirement success as I look for certain ways to BTD.

Any "watch-heads" out there? Should I BTD on such a purchase and tell my former frugal self to take a hike?!

This BTD stuff is hard man!:confused:

Can’t imagine anything a watch could offer making it worth that kind of dough. I’d have to side with your frugal self. But hang around and you’ll soon have lots of support to BTD in any way that tickles your fancy.

Don't be a square. Get an Apple watch like all the cool kids have.

I can't relate. But then, I have been wearing Timex watches (39.99) for 40 years. The only thing I need a watch to do is tell time.

If you want to BTD, and it won't affect your retirement, there is only one person you need to convince - yourself. And I suppose your SO/DW if you have one.

Make sure it's your indulgence, and not just SIL's. But it is good to know that when you pass it would be greatly appreciated by him if he inherits it.

I wanted to buy a nice watch. Not sure I would have gone over $10K, but they do draw my attention. Then I realized, since I’m not working, I’m not dressing up and the opportunity to wear it would be pretty much zero. So I have to set my sights on something else. Best of luck with your purchase. Cool that it may be something you can share with SIL.

Make sure it's your indulgence, and not just SIL's. But it is good to know that when you pass it would be greatly appreciated by him if he inherits it.

Yup, and depending on how much SIL covets it, it might be a good idea not to turn your back on him too often if you purchase it! :D

Funny when I think about BTD on something fancy most of the fun is in the thinking about it and the shopping for it. I find that after actually buying most stuff having is somewhat less exciting than wanting.

This thread had me at "new fancy".

I know nothing about watches, but I would say if you are going to BTD (endorse), don't get the one your SIL or former frugal self would like. Do a whole lotta looking and research. Figure out the style you like, the features, etc., this is all personal taste. Try to do all that while you ignore prices. Make a list of things you want, save links and pics. Make the hunt part of the fun of doing this.

I can BTD in a number of categories, but chances that I will love the thing that someone else thinks is perfect for me, are slim to none.

... Any "watch-heads" out there? Should I BTD on such a purchase and tell my former frugal self to take a hike?! ...

A relative gave me a big, bulky, hyper-masculine watch to replace the cheap Casio I had worn for years. The new watch really wasn't appropriate for my skeletal geek body but I wore it for a few years nevertheless - the price was right :D . I was happy when the watch finally failed and I went back to a cheap Casio.

BTD decisions are highly personal so I can't imagine anyone giving you useful advice. :popcorn:

If I had 10X my current assets, I would get a vintage Patek Phillipe Calatrava. But since I don't, I'll stick with my Timex Expedition that I got for $7 at Goodwill.

Edit to add: I did see some very nice watches from Shinola at an airport shop when we last flew in January 2020. Made in Detroit, I believe. While still expensive from my point of view, orders of magnitude less than a Patek Phillipe.

Last edited:
not my thing but i get your desire for one so indulge yourself! me...i haven't worn a watch since graduating from high school in '68. considered a nice aviators watch when i was still flying but managed just fine without one.

How often would you wear it. I'd be a little afraid of making myself a target by wearing that much money on my wrist. When you are out and about you never know who is clocking you and your stuff. Now if you are going to buy it and keep it the box, that won't be an issue.

For us DH’s fancy watch was a titanium Apple Watch. We’re no longer interested in watches that can’t talk to our phones.

Jewelry as an “investment”? Hmmmm.......

You can spend a lot more for a fancy metal Apple Watch, but it would still be obsolete in 5 years or so and you’d want to upgrade.

I don't do watches anymore. I didn't do them when I was working. Got clocks in the car and clocks on the phone... But I'm a practical guy.

You are a jewelry guy, a Rolex plus guy. By all means, get what you want.

If the price is still too high even though you want it don't buy it.

My Pops told me "it's good to want things"

When the battery in my watch died, I decided I did not need a watch!. I am retired, and do not live my life by the ticky ticky tock of the clock (Pajama Game).
I know it would impress people if I wore a Rolex on my trips to Walmart.

I do not much need a watch for purposes of my daily schedule, but I do find it quite helpful when I water my plants or cook things on the grill.

So, I'm struggling with being indulgent on the purchase of a new fancy watch. I have not bought a new watch in about 15 years. I think I spent $2K+ back then and really appreciated the watch. I have few indulgences (cars & some electronics) where I can get myself to "blow the dough"! My SIL is really into these fancy watches (which he hopes to have one day) and is excited about helping me shop for one. He has done a ton of research on the various brands and is pitching me on it "being an investment". Investment aside, some of these watches are $25K - $35K I am looking at. It sure feels expensive and my frugal gene is telling me "what a ridiculous purchase", yet I know this would have no affect on retirement success as I look for certain ways to BTD.

Any "watch-heads" out there? Should I BTD on such a purchase and tell my former frugal self to take a hike?!

I'm not a "watch-head," but if you can afford it and getting the watch gives you pleasure, then tell your frugal gene to take a hike and go get that watch.

You only live once so enjoy it :)

Apple watches are for those that can’t separate from being plugged in. Buy/Wear a nice non-device watch if you can afford it, appreciate it for yourself to recognize your hard work and nest egg. It’s the best piece a jewelry for a man. But, buy/wear it for your enjoyment and not anybody else’s reaction.

I don't have anything against Apple watches but it would be insane to buy a high-dollar one only to see it become obsolete in 6 or 7 years. That seems to be about how long iPhones last before current apps won't run on them any more. I recall some of the early adopters of high-end iWatches complained mightily about that issue.

If you are going for a high-end watch keep it simple - can't go wrong with a Swiss mechanical timepiece, except for the price.

Bought my last at Wally world for $14. Love it! Time/date takes up most of the face which helps with my eyesight. Last Casio I bought had all this junk on the face and the time/date was so small I could hardly read.

I think you buy a high end watch because you are really into watches and appreciate the craftsmanship and history of the watch and the company that makes it. Obviously a $10,000 watch is not going to be any more accurate in keeping time than a very basic watch. And with our cell phones always having the correct time nobody needs a watch to tell the time anymore. It’s a piece of jewelry. So just as you might appreciate wearing a $10K gold and diamond ring, you might appreciate a high end watch in the same fashion.

If you enjoy technology, which I do, then the Apple Watch is for you. It will be obsolete in a few years but a basic one only cost a few hundred dollars and they are fun to have. The things you can do with an Apple Watch are the kind of things we saw in the James Bond movies in the 70’s. Except that was fiction. This is for real.

I have too much $$$ on watches so I’d support you OP. The thing is with Covid just like a lot of things prices for some desirable watches have gone through the roof. Any stainless steel sport model from Rolex, PP and AP are multiple of their MSRP. For example, a white dial Rolex Daytona is now asking around $35-36k if you can find any. Official MSRP in the teens. If you go to any Rolex AD you’ll find mainly two tone, gold or undesirable models in stock. You can’t get a stainless steel sport model Rolex from a Rolex AD unless you’re a regular and on their “wait list” or you buy a bunch of expensive watches at the same time. Rolex, PP and AP shortage has been going on for at least 2 years but it’s been getting a lot worse since the beginning of this year. I bought my Rolex BLNR for about $8,500 5 years ago and I can easily sell it for $13-14k today. Hence the investment part of it. I don’t subscribe to buying a watch as an investment tho. It’s more like a byproduct if you flip your watch a lot. Get what you like and can afford.

First you need to decide if you want a dress watch, dive watch, chrono, pilot first. Then decide the size that fits your wrist the best. Then decide on the material (stainless steel, two tone, gold, ceramic, black pvd, etc). Then choose the brand and model that fit what you like within your budget. Do some research on app like watchrecon or Chrono24.

Right now, the brands that are actually available at AD and jewelers are Breitling, IWC, Omega and to some extent some Tudor models. If you’re into big watches, Panerai is available.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

Back
Top Bottom