Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   So I am thinking about a new fancy watch... (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/so-i-am-thinking-about-a-new-fancy-watch-109082.html)

DawgMan 04-29-2021 04:54 PM

So I am thinking about a new fancy watch...

So, I'm struggling with being indulgent on the purchase of a new fancy watch. I have not bought a new watch in about 15 years. I think I spent $2K+ back then and really appreciated the watch. I have few indulgences (cars & some electronics) where I can get myself to "blow the dough"! My SIL is really into these fancy watches (which he hopes to have one day) and is excited about helping me shop for one. He has done a ton of research on the various brands and is pitching me on it "being an investment". Investment aside, some of these watches are $25K - $35K I am looking at. It sure feels expensive and my frugal gene is telling me "what a ridiculous purchase", yet I know this would have no affect on retirement success as I look for certain ways to BTD.

Any "watch-heads" out there? Should I BTD on such a purchase and tell my former frugal self to take a hike?!

This BTD stuff is hard man!???

Whisper66 04-29-2021 05:28 PM

Can’t imagine anything a watch could offer making it worth that kind of dough. I’d have to side with your frugal self. But hang around and you’ll soon have lots of support to BTD in any way that tickles your fancy.

travelover 04-29-2021 05:31 PM

Don't be a square. Get an Apple watch like all the cool kids have.

Calico 04-29-2021 05:34 PM

I can't relate. But then, I have been wearing Timex watches (39.99) for 40 years. The only thing I need a watch to do is tell time.

If you want to BTD, and it won't affect your retirement, there is only one person you need to convince - yourself. And I suppose your SO/DW if you have one.

RunningBum 04-29-2021 05:39 PM

Make sure it's your indulgence, and not just SIL's. But it is good to know that when you pass it would be greatly appreciated by him if he inherits it.

Jerry1 04-29-2021 05:42 PM

I wanted to buy a nice watch. Not sure I would have gone over $10K, but they do draw my attention. Then I realized, since I’m not working, I’m not dressing up and the opportunity to wear it would be pretty much zero. So I have to set my sights on something else. Best of luck with your purchase. Cool that it may be something you can share with SIL.

Calico 04-29-2021 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningBum (Post 2599822)
Make sure it's your indulgence, and not just SIL's. But it is good to know that when you pass it would be greatly appreciated by him if he inherits it.

Yup, and depending on how much SIL covets it, it might be a good idea not to turn your back on him too often if you purchase it! ;D

timbervest 04-29-2021 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawgMan (Post 2599791)

Funny when I think about BTD on something fancy most of the fun is in the thinking about it and the shopping for it. I find that after actually buying most stuff having is somewhat less exciting than wanting.

Aerides 04-29-2021 05:51 PM

This thread had me at "new fancy".

I know nothing about watches, but I would say if you are going to BTD (endorse), don't get the one your SIL or former frugal self would like. Do a whole lotta looking and research. Figure out the style you like, the features, etc., this is all personal taste. Try to do all that while you ignore prices. Make a list of things you want, save links and pics. Make the hunt part of the fun of doing this.

I can BTD in a number of categories, but chances that I will love the thing that someone else thinks is perfect for me, are slim to none.

socca 04-29-2021 06:11 PM

Quote:

... Any "watch-heads" out there? Should I BTD on such a purchase and tell my former frugal self to take a hike?! ...

A relative gave me a big, bulky, hyper-masculine watch to replace the cheap Casio I had worn for years. The new watch really wasn't appropriate for my skeletal geek body but I wore it for a few years nevertheless - the price was right ;D . I was happy when the watch finally failed and I went back to a cheap Casio.

BTD decisions are highly personal so I can't imagine anyone giving you useful advice. :popcorn:

Gumby 04-29-2021 06:20 PM

If I had 10X my current assets, I would get a vintage Patek Phillipe Calatrava. But since I don't, I'll stick with my Timex Expedition that I got for $7 at Goodwill.

Edit to add: I did see some very nice watches from Shinola at an airport shop when we last flew in January 2020. Made in Detroit, I believe. While still expensive from my point of view, orders of magnitude less than a Patek Phillipe.

rk911 04-29-2021 06:20 PM

not my thing but i get your desire for one so indulge yourself! me...i haven't worn a watch since graduating from high school in '68. considered a nice aviators watch when i was still flying but managed just fine without one.

ivinsfan 04-29-2021 06:24 PM

How often would you wear it. I'd be a little afraid of making myself a target by wearing that much money on my wrist. When you are out and about you never know who is clocking you and your stuff. Now if you are going to buy it and keep it the box, that won't be an issue.

audreyh1 04-29-2021 06:29 PM

For us DH’s fancy watch was a titanium Apple Watch. We’re no longer interested in watches that can’t talk to our phones.

Jewelry as an “investment”? Hmmmm.......

Al in Ohio 04-29-2021 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travelover (Post 2599817)

Totally agree. Buy a highly functional, high tech watch for under $500 that can text, talk and email and pair with wireless airpods.

audreyh1 04-29-2021 06:51 PM

You can spend a lot more for a fancy metal Apple Watch, but it would still be obsolete in 5 years or so and you’d want to upgrade.

RobbieB 04-29-2021 06:55 PM

I don't do watches anymore. I didn't do them when I was working. Got clocks in the car and clocks on the phone... But I'm a practical guy.

You are a jewelry guy, a Rolex plus guy. By all means, get what you want.

If the price is still too high even though you want it don't buy it.

My Pops told me "it's good to want things"

Souschef 04-29-2021 08:06 PM

When the battery in my watch died, I decided I did not need a watch!. I am retired, and do not live my life by the ticky ticky tock of the clock (Pajama Game).
I know it would impress people if I wore a Rolex on my trips to Walmart.

Gumby 04-29-2021 08:14 PM

I do not much need a watch for purposes of my daily schedule, but I do find it quite helpful when I water my plants or cook things on the grill.

luckydude 04-29-2021 08:15 PM

Quote:

So, I'm struggling with being indulgent on the purchase of a new fancy watch. I have not bought a new watch in about 15 years. I think I spent $2K+ back then and really appreciated the watch. I have few indulgences (cars & some electronics) where I can get myself to "blow the dough"! My SIL is really into these fancy watches (which he hopes to have one day) and is excited about helping me shop for one. He has done a ton of research on the various brands and is pitching me on it "being an investment". Investment aside, some of these watches are $25K - $35K I am looking at. It sure feels expensive and my frugal gene is telling me "what a ridiculous purchase", yet I know this would have no affect on retirement success as I look for certain ways to BTD.

Any "watch-heads" out there? Should I BTD on such a purchase and tell my former frugal self to take a hike?!

I'm not a "watch-head," but if you can afford it and getting the watch gives you pleasure, then tell your frugal gene to take a hike and go get that watch.

You only live once so enjoy it :)

WhenIsItTime 04-29-2021 08:21 PM

Apple watches are for those that can’t separate from being plugged in. Buy/Wear a nice non-device watch if you can afford it, appreciate it for yourself to recognize your hard work and nest egg. It’s the best piece a jewelry for a man. But, buy/wear it for your enjoyment and not anybody else’s reaction.

USGrant1962 04-29-2021 08:31 PM

I don't have anything against Apple watches but it would be insane to buy a high-dollar one only to see it become obsolete in 6 or 7 years. That seems to be about how long iPhones last before current apps won't run on them any more. I recall some of the early adopters of high-end iWatches complained mightily about that issue.

If you are going for a high-end watch keep it simple - can't go wrong with a Swiss mechanical timepiece, except for the price.

Lawrencewendall 04-29-2021 09:12 PM

Bought my last at Wally world for $14. Love it! Time/date takes up most of the face which helps with my eyesight. Last Casio I bought had all this junk on the face and the time/date was so small I could hardly read.

Ready 04-29-2021 09:24 PM

I think you buy a high end watch because you are really into watches and appreciate the craftsmanship and history of the watch and the company that makes it. Obviously a $10,000 watch is not going to be any more accurate in keeping time than a very basic watch. And with our cell phones always having the correct time nobody needs a watch to tell the time anymore. It’s a piece of jewelry. So just as you might appreciate wearing a $10K gold and diamond ring, you might appreciate a high end watch in the same fashion.

If you enjoy technology, which I do, then the Apple Watch is for you. It will be obsolete in a few years but a basic one only cost a few hundred dollars and they are fun to have. The things you can do with an Apple Watch are the kind of things we saw in the James Bond movies in the 70’s. Except that was fiction. This is for real.

EA-Sports 04-29-2021 09:47 PM

I have too much $$$ on watches so I’d support you OP. The thing is with Covid just like a lot of things prices for some desirable watches have gone through the roof. Any stainless steel sport model from Rolex, PP and AP are multiple of their MSRP. For example, a white dial Rolex Daytona is now asking around $35-36k if you can find any. Official MSRP in the teens. If you go to any Rolex AD you’ll find mainly two tone, gold or undesirable models in stock. You can’t get a stainless steel sport model Rolex from a Rolex AD unless you’re a regular and on their “wait list” or you buy a bunch of expensive watches at the same time. Rolex, PP and AP shortage has been going on for at least 2 years but it’s been getting a lot worse since the beginning of this year. I bought my Rolex BLNR for about $8,500 5 years ago and I can easily sell it for $13-14k today. Hence the investment part of it. I don’t subscribe to buying a watch as an investment tho. It’s more like a byproduct if you flip your watch a lot. Get what you like and can afford.

First you need to decide if you want a dress watch, dive watch, chrono, pilot first. Then decide the size that fits your wrist the best. Then decide on the material (stainless steel, two tone, gold, ceramic, black pvd, etc). Then choose the brand and model that fit what you like within your budget. Do some research on app like watchrecon or Chrono24.

Right now, the brands that are actually available at AD and jewelers are Breitling, IWC, Omega and to some extent some Tudor models. If you’re into big watches, Panerai is available.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

Bamaman 04-29-2021 09:59 PM

I'm wearing a Citizen's EcoDrive watch that I got as a freebie for going on a Norwegian Cruise. It has some kind of crystal that doesn't scratch, and it looks like new.

It has no batteries, and I honestly have no idea how the thing runs year after year. Never loses a second either.

I can find more enjoyable purchases than a fancy watch.

FlaGator 04-29-2021 11:09 PM

Go for it, but be prudent in what you spend.

I'm on my second Rolex Submariner (both stainless/black) since 1985. Traded the old one a few years back and the new models are much better. Still have the late wife's Lady Datejust from 1985. That one and my newer Sub are going to the kids when they graduate college in 2 and 6 years. They will be overhauled/refreshed before handing over.

A quality mechanical watch is a nice heirloom.

Amethyst 04-29-2021 11:34 PM

I have purchased jewelry from a very reputable used-jewelry seller who specializes in fabulous used watches (totally reconditioned, of course). The selection would make your brain spin. Naturally the prices are well below retail.

I use my phone instead of a watch. But I can PM you a link to the reseller, if you like.

mountainsoft 04-29-2021 11:58 PM

Quote:

some of these watches are $25K - $35K I am looking at. It sure feels expensive and my frugal gene is telling me "what a ridiculous purchase", yet I know this would have no affect on retirement success as I look for certain ways to BTD.

I'll probably never be in a position to "blow that dough", so I can't even imagine spending that kind of money on a watch. Most people I know don't even wear watches anymore, they just use their cell phones. Since I rarely carry my cell phone with me, that's not really an option.

I'm a digital watch guy. A few decades ago I could buy good quality digital watches with real metal bands and whatnot. Ironically, it's almost impossible to find a well made quality digital watch these days (i.e. from a jewelry store). That said, I tend to be hard on watches. They get banged up working on the cars or doing home improvement projects. They get submerged in water and mud when hiking or swimming. So I don't really want to spend a lot of money on them.

I have no interest in a "smart watch". I just want to know the time, date, and day of the week. I had a cheap Timex watch that served me OK, but the display is hard to see and the tiny date is impossible to read. I'm currently using a Casio watch that cost me $15-20 and am quite happy with it. I wish it had a better band, but I keep the Timex watch around when I know I'll be abusing it.

DawgMan 04-30-2021 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EA-Sports (Post 2599930)
I have too much $$$ on watches so I’d support you OP. The thing is with Covid just like a lot of things prices for some desirable watches have gone through the roof. Any stainless steel sport model from Rolex, PP and AP are multiple of their MSRP. For example, a white dial Rolex Daytona is now asking around $35-36k if you can find any. Official MSRP in the teens. If you go to any Rolex AD you’ll find mainly two tone, gold or undesirable models in stock. You can’t get a stainless steel sport model Rolex from a Rolex AD unless you’re a regular and on their “wait list” or you buy a bunch of expensive watches at the same time. Rolex, PP and AP shortage has been going on for at least 2 years but it’s been getting a lot worse since the beginning of this year. I bought my Rolex BLNR for about $8,500 5 years ago and I can easily sell it for $13-14k today. Hence the investment part of it. I don’t subscribe to buying a watch as an investment tho. It’s more like a byproduct if you flip your watch a lot. Get what you like and can afford.

First you need to decide if you want a dress watch, dive watch, chrono, pilot first. Then decide the size that fits your wrist the best. Then decide on the material (stainless steel, two tone, gold, ceramic, black pvd, etc). Then choose the brand and model that fit what you like within your budget. Do some research on app like watchrecon or Chrono24.

Right now, the brands that are actually available at AD and jewelers are Breitling, IWC, Omega and to some extent some Tudor models. If you’re into big watches, Panerai is available.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

See, it only took 25 comments to finds a "watch-head"! I'm only kicking tires right now and will do my homework before I consider dropping the dough. Right now, I am digging the rose gold finish with a leather band, thinking a more classical look that can dress up/down. SIL's research has me looking so far at A. Lange & Söhne, Glashutte, Vacheron Constantin, IWC, Jaeger-leCoultre, Blancpain, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, F.P. Journe... I don't think I'm a Rolex guy, looking for something different. I am not a bling guy either, but can appreciate the craftsmanship/engineering that goes into some of these watches I have admired from afar. As you said, any investment is just a lucky bi-product, not the driver. This by no means is about "telling time" or justifying how many days per week I will wear it, but really seeing if I can get over the frugal mentality to BTD. And yes, at a min, whatever watch I do decide to pursue, I will shop the heck out of to at least appease myself "I got the best deal!". I need to spend some time looking at watches at lower price points to further appreciate the differences. My original thought was I could find one I liked for around $10K until I saw some of the beauties noted above.

I'm a sucker for a good looking woman!:coolsmiley:

Dash man 04-30-2021 05:51 AM

I have both a Rolex and an Apple Watch. The Rolex was about $7,500 eight or nine years ago. The Apple Watch is stainless steel and I wear it more as an emergency device with the capability to detect a fall and automatically call 911.
I was wearing the Rolex once on a trip to Niagara Falls, and a guy in a ticket booth for the Maid if the Mist said “nice watch” as I was paying him. It kind of sent a chill through me that he so easy recognized the watch. I think twice about where I’m going before I put it on now.

flintnational 04-30-2021 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 2599844)
If I had 10X my current assets, I would get a vintage Patek Phillipe Calatrava. But since I don't, I'll stick with my Timex Expedition that I got for $7 at Goodwill.........

Gumby, to be watch-head you have to own several watches and pay full retail!. As an example, I own 3 Timex Expeditions. All were purchased at full price. In fact, price was never a factor in my decision. Its all about the watch. I guess we could call your watch a "starter" collection. ;D

DawgMan, you are brave. I have always thought of the forum members as "A buy the timex invest the difference kind of crowd". Enjoy your new watch!

Dtail 04-30-2021 06:07 AM

Haven't worn a watch in retirement, but go for it.

Aerides 04-30-2021 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 2599891)
I do not much need a watch for purposes of my daily schedule, but I do find it quite helpful when I water my plants or cook things on the grill.

I use my fitbit watch for most of this. I don't take my phone along on walks or runs, or around with me when I'm gardening, but I do often look at my fitbit for time.

While I know a lot less of us use watches these days - and that's not just the ER crowd - I think you could inject any "expensive not necessary but I really want one and I can afford it" into the OP's question.

ShokWaveRider 04-30-2021 06:40 AM

I had 3 Rolexes when I was w@*king. When I retired I still wanted to keep them as I really did like and enjoy them. After 2 years of retirement I found that I NEVER wear a watch anymore, let alone 3. So I gave in and Sold all three. BTW, I made (a little) money on each one. I was in withdrawal for about a week or so, I missed looking at them in their Auto winder. So, I sold the Auto Winder too, and it has all worn off now, I do not even think about them anymore.

Ncc1701 04-30-2021 07:10 AM

My $80 Casio recharges itself with sunlight, uses the Atomic clock to set the time automatically and never needs maintenance. A Rolex can't do any of that...:)

Amethyst 04-30-2021 07:12 AM

I thought you had to own enough watches - and enough of them the kind that need winding - that you also own a watchwinder.

Kind of like people who buy costly, glass-fronted, handcrafted wood display boxes for the expensive fountain pens they do not, or rarely use.

https://www.buywatchwinders.com/heid...her-p-968.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by flintnational (Post 2599980)
Gumby, to be watch-head you have to own several watches and pay full retail!. !

steelyman 04-30-2021 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerides (Post 2599988)
I use my fitbit watch for most of this. I don't take my phone along on walks or runs, or around with me when I'm gardening, but I do often look at my fitbit for time.

This is what I do. I went from a Fitbit Versa to a Charge 4 specifically for its built-in GPS. The Versa required tethering to a phone.

Pellice 04-30-2021 07:47 AM

Go for it! You've successfully made your case to me!

1) You can afford it
2) It will bring you a lot of pleasure as a collector and appreciator (you've said you are a "watch-head."
3) You have at least one family member enjoying the fun of shopping together with you. And the watch sellers will probably make it a fun buying experience.
4) And you have it firmly collected in your head in the proper place - Blow that Dough. That is, you know what you are doing.

Watches aren't my thing, but you seem the ideal person to make such a purchase!

Tiger8693 04-30-2021 07:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I like watches too...

ExFlyBoy5 04-30-2021 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dtail (Post 2599984)
Haven't worn a watch in retirement, but go for it.

This. I don't remember the last time I wore a watch. :)

EA-Sports 05-01-2021 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawgMan (Post 2599968)
See, it only took 25 comments to finds a "watch-head"! I'm only kicking tires right now and will do my homework before I consider dropping the dough. Right now, I am digging the rose gold finish with a leather band, thinking a more classical look that can dress up/down. SIL's research has me looking so far at A. Lange & Söhne, Glashutte, Vacheron Constantin, IWC, Jaeger-leCoultre, Blancpain, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, F.P. Journe... I don't think I'm a Rolex guy, looking for something different. I am not a bling guy either, but can appreciate the craftsmanship/engineering that goes into some of these watches I have admired from afar. As you said, any investment is just a lucky bi-product, not the driver. This by no means is about "telling time" or justifying how many days per week I will wear it, but really seeing if I can get over the frugal mentality to BTD. And yes, at a min, whatever watch I do decide to pursue, I will shop the heck out of to at least appease myself "I got the best deal!". I need to spend some time looking at watches at lower price points to further appreciate the differences. My original thought was I could find one I liked for around $10K until I saw some of the beauties noted above.

I'm a sucker for a good looking woman!:coolsmiley:

Excellent choices…one brand in that group I didn’t see is H Moser, maybe because they don’t really have a lot of option in rose gold..I love ALS but I feel like if you’re looking at both ALS and GO, GO is the better value..I love GO panomatic lunar or panoreserve..happy hunting…most WIS aka watch heads enjoy the hunt more or at least as much as the experience of owning the watch…

Scuba 05-01-2021 06:54 AM

I think you should BTD and buy what you want. I personally love my Apple Watch and recently got rid of most of my others except for a Movado I wore for years. But obviously I’m not a “watch head” so I can’t properly appreciate the luxury watches.

Koolau 05-01-2021 04:16 PM

I was fascinated by watches as a little kid. Only thing I ever wanted (well, besides, the Red Rider 200 shot Range Model air rifle with the compass in the stock) was a "real" watch. We were poor and ca. 2nd grade dad got me probably the cheapest wrist watch made at the time. It only had 4 roman numerals on it. I didn't even know what they meant but figured out they must be equivalent to 12, 3, 6 and 9 since that was their location on the dial. The watch lasted about 2 weeks in this kid's hands (er, on his wrist - probably water from washing up for supper.)

I eventually grew out of the wrist watch phase and bought a cheap one for personal use in HS and Univ. FF to Megacorp days. By then, the new "digital" technology was coming into favor. $100 was a lot for an everyday wearer, so I waited until the march of technology meant every $5000 watch from the Swiss was obsolete and a $29.95 K-mart special would run rings around the mechanical ones.

Finally, after years, I found myself again fascinated by the expensive watches in the slick adds in Forbes or other (almost) coffee-table magazines. I'd look at every add and read about the "craftsmanship" how "fine" the watch was, the 14t gold case, the hand-crafted fine Corinthian - oops, wrong ad - leather band, the "thinness" of the watch, the ability to keep time to 1/1000 second per day - on and on. I coveted these "time pieces" but could never get past the fact that my K-mart clunker could do everything these (now digital) watches could do for 1% the cost.

Sadly, I never indulged but I still like the ads. If I ever DID buy a "good" watch, I'd want an "old" one - maybe even a "real" watch - you know, the ones that had wheels and cogs and "jewels" and actually ticked because they actually moved. Probably won't happen, but I envy OP the remaining fascination with a thing of beauty that was once a dream of mine. Enjoy and remember that YMMV.

braumeister 05-01-2021 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolau (Post 2600835)
Sadly, I never indulged but I still like the ads.

Same here. I've never been tempted to buy an expensive watch, but I have to admit the magazine ads are always superbly well done (as are the watches, I'm sure). I'm always amused when we're in Switzerland, since it seems as if there is a watch store on every block. It's an astounding craft, and I've read that there are watches that can take a year or more to build, hence the astronomical price tags.

One of my best friends had a different attitude, and always lusted after a great Rolex. He bought one as soon as he could afford it (some time in his 30s) and he loved that watch more than any car he ever owned.

I always just had a cheap watch on my wrist, but when I finally retired completely, 20 years ago, I stopped wearing one at all. Having the time on my phone was good enough.

Then Apple did what they always do: invented something that you never wanted but suddenly couldn't live without.

I've been wearing an Apple Watch since 2016, currently on the version 6, and I can't imagine being without it. Just absolutely incredible to me what this little thing can do, and I use it constantly. In fact, I'm perfectly comfortable leaving my iPhone at home because of all the capabilities of the watch (I have the model with cellular service). Dick Tracy, eat your heart out!

aja8888 05-01-2021 04:34 PM

Fitbit Versa 2 coupled to a Motorola Power G. "The smart retirement package for an active old dog."

I'd love to have a nice Rolex but I would probably not wear it enough to justify the cost. But each to his own liking.

If I decided to blow $35K, I'd use that on a nice clean used Corvette.

Ready 05-01-2021 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braumeister (Post 2600843)
I've been wearing an Apple Watch since 2016, currently on the version 6, and I can't imagine being without it. Just absolutely incredible to me what this little thing can do, and I use it constantly. In fact, I'm perfectly comfortable leaving my iPhone at home because of all the capabilities of the watch (I have the model with cellular service). Dick Tracy, eat your heart out!

I went for more than 20 years without wearing a watch. When I retired I thought it would be nice to buy a high end watch like the OP is looking for. I visited all the high end stores trying to learn more about them. Then on my way out, I stopped by the Apple store and had a chance to play with the original Apple Watch. I knew as soon as I picked it up that was the watch for me.

But comparing an Apple Watch to a Rolex is apples and oranges. A Rolex is a fine piece of jewelry. An Apple Watch is a computer that fits on your wrist. The only thing they have in common is they both sit on your wrist and they both can tell you what time it is. Beyond that they have nothing in common.

But now that I’ve experienced having a computer on my wrist, I could never go back to an analog watch. It would drive me nuts.

travelover 05-01-2021 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ready (Post 2600879)
......But comparing an Apple Watch to a Rolex is apples and oranges...........

No, it is Apples and Rolexes. ;)

Midpack 05-01-2021 05:55 PM

Do what makes you happy.

Some of these folks who “can’t see it” probably have other things they’re inclined to BTD on - houses, cars, travel/vacations, jewelry, boats, planes, etc. Though I briefly considered an $8K Rolex (30 yo price), my best watch was a $1200 Rado (30 yo price), and that was partly for business purposes. My boss wore a $20K Patek Phillipe (20 yo price).

But I had sailboats from 26’ to 35’ (all bought new) and never hesitated, and never asked anyone else their opinion.

Again, do what makes you happy!

Amethyst 05-01-2021 06:46 PM

If you like fancy things, and can afford them, better get them while you're still in shape to enjoy them.

RobbieB 05-01-2021 06:51 PM

People blow dough on what they want to. Easy.

Same as it ever was.

Walt34 05-01-2021 07:07 PM

The last time I bought an expensive watch was in high school. I spent $45 on a very nice self-winding watch by a then-well-known Swiss watchmaker which was a pile of money for a kid making $1.25/hour pumping gas.

Two weeks later I made an "unscheduled dismount" from my motorcycle and it stopped running. I took it to a repair shop and the guy said he took the back off and shook the pieces out.

After that I've never spent more than $10 for a watch.

aja8888 05-01-2021 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amethyst (Post 2600907)
If you like fancy things, and can afford them, better get them while you're still in shape to enjoy them.

Good advice here!

Doribe 05-01-2021 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travelover (Post 2599817)

+1

thepalmersinking 05-02-2021 07:35 AM

I bought an Explorer II in 2001 for $3K. I saw the same watch at a pawn shop for $5.5k and a new one is $9k. I wouldn’t call them an investment but pick the right ones and you should be able to get your money back.

Green Papaya 05-02-2021 09:03 AM

I just do what made me feel happy. Bought DW a nice Rolex because she wanted one and I could afford it. I, on the other hand, wanted to get rid of my own Rolex which I acquired during my working days. Now I wear a Timex everywhere I go.

Breedlove 05-02-2021 10:04 AM

Years ago when I was still working my boss went on a cruise . He bought an expense Tag Heuer . So he wore it to work and everyone was talking about it . A few weeks later I found a place on the net to buy a lookalike copy for 19.00
So I bought one and it came from China , had to pick up at the post office. I wore it to work and you know all the remarks ..Bluntly the watch was junk the stem kept falling out . But kept my mouth shut and one day at one of our meetings I threw it on the floor and stepped. On it ....you should have seen the looks .

Drake3287 05-02-2021 11:16 AM

Haven't read all the responses here but I finally purchased an "expensive" Rolex watch after years of wanting one and I'm glad I finally did it. For years I couldn't justify spending the money because of having to put my kids through college, save for retirement and all the other life expenses.

I finally got off my rear-end and did it although I was quick to learn that these popular and expensive watches aren't simply sitting in show cases waiting to be bought. Any expensive watch worth buying has a long waiting list to get. I was fortunate enough to get my Rolex "Batman" watch after just a 6 month wait. It's currently much longer now.

Although it wasn't purchased as an investment, I paid $10,000 for my watch 2 years ago and even now as used, it's worth something like $15,000 and there's a line of people waiting to buy it at that price! Yes, crazy.

You only live once so buy what you want. Also, don't worry about what others will think if you're wearing an expensive watch. No one other than another Rolex owner has ever noticed my watch. And yes, once in a while it does come up in conversation with strangers who are also Rolex owners. No different than any product such as a car.

CSdot 05-02-2021 11:29 AM

My wife bought me a Rolex Submariner when our first child was born in 1999. I think she spent $3K on it new. I suspect they cost more than that today. We enjoy scuba diving, so it has been used at depth. It was a daily wear watch for a long time, though I find myself wearing my Apple Watch more now because it lets me know when I am getting a message or call since I prefer to have my ringer off on the iPhone.

I have sent the Submariner to Rolex twice for the 10 year service where they take the watch apart, clean it, polish it, lubricate the parts, put it back together and test it for accuracy (cost $500). Each time it came back from Rolex, it ran and looked brand new.

I also inherited my dad's Rolex that he bought (I suspect because he saw that I had been wearing one for years) several years before he passed. I occasionally wear that one for black tie events.

Drake3287 05-02-2021 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSdot (Post 2601169)
My wife bought me a Rolex Submariner when our first child was born in 1999. I think she spent $3K on it new. I suspect they cost more than that today.

Your wife unknowingly made a great investment. I'm sure that "used" Submariner is worth $10,000 or so now. Prices are crazy now and will probably never really come down, sort of like real estate.

Koolau 05-02-2021 11:58 PM

ca. 1972, Dad went to Italy. He'd always wanted a nice watch. (Apparently, the Accutron the family chipped in for wasn't it.) So, he found a bargain Omega watch. He proudly presented it to the customs inspectors upon his return. They chuckled and sent him on his way. YMMV

phil1ben 05-03-2021 05:43 AM

I look at it somewhat differently. A watch in your sought after category is something that will live long after you are gone. I wouldn't call myself a watchhead but I do have some heirloom watches (Jaeger Reverso Duo and Breitling Navitimer) that I will pass down to my sons. The only advice I can provide is try to buy something "timeless".

My father bought an 18K gold (watch is gold and the band/bracelet is gold) Piaget in the early 80s. He did pass it down to me. I will probably pass it down but it has gone out of style. It sits in a safe. I have been thinking of going to Tourneau and trading it for a Patek because it truly just sits there. A watch with that much gold is not my style. My adult sons have seen it and feel the same as I do.

If you can afford it, do what makes you happy.

Dawg52 05-03-2021 06:34 AM

An old golf buddy of mine owned a Rolex. He would put it on after his round of golf. He said he had always wanted one and it was a gift to himself when he retired. Poor guy passed away earlier this year from cancer. He only got to enjoy retirement and his watch for a couple of years.

If you want one....buy it. As others have said 'do what makes you happy'.

boilerman 05-03-2021 02:12 PM

I got a Rolex about 20 years ago and wore it daily until recently. About every 5 or 6 years, it would stop working and needed to get a “cleaning”. When Rolex does their maintenance, it comes back looking and running like new. But I paid almost $900 for the last cleaning. Talk about blowing dough!

USGrant1962 05-03-2021 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boilerman (Post 2601716)
I got a Rolex about 20 years ago and wore it daily until recently. About every 5 or 6 years, it would stop working and needed to get a “cleaning”. When Rolex does their maintenance, it comes looking and running like new. But I paid almost $900 for the last cleaning. Talk about blowing dough!

Yup, I think I was quoted $7-800. I have one from MegaCorp that is now 10 years old and I never did the 5-year service. Now the autowind doesn't seem to be working, though I can wind it manually. But I hardly wear it any more.

Maybe some day I'll BTD on service.

Montecfo 05-03-2021 07:08 PM

I no longer wear a watch everyday since I have a phone with me. But when I retired my company got me a pricy watch which I never would have bought for myself but do enjoy wearing for the right occasions, such as going out with people who are impressed by such things!

I would tend to not notice, but I love that they do.

So if the enjoyment is there, it is worth it!

pacergal 05-04-2021 10:37 AM

Haven't worn a watch since early in my nursing career--never liked the feel, I don't wear bracelets either. But thats me.
OP--don't over think this. If you have the money to BTD, then do it! Buy what you want.
Rolex is a really nice gift to yourself!

GTP2022 05-04-2021 11:19 AM

There is something to be said in owning a nice time piece. I will pass mine down to my son. Just as you can get somewhere in a Rolls Royce or a used Yugo, it's about the ride not the time.

I enjoy the precision and craftsmanship of the watch. I bought it used 3 years ago and it's increased in value 20%.

Do what you want to do, you earned the money. If it gives you a sense of pleasure and satisfaction then that's all that matters.

Badger 05-04-2021 11:20 AM

I have only worn Timex or Casio for the past 30 years. I thought a nice watch would be nice and my wife gave me a beautiful Reactor for a birthday present. It may cost half of the cleaning cost for a Rolex but then i was happy with my $25 Casio.

Cheers!

HarveyS 05-04-2021 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider (Post 2599995)
I missed looking at them in their Auto winder. So, I sold the Auto Winder too,

+1

Midpack 05-04-2021 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil1ben (Post 2601450)
I look at it somewhat differently. A watch in your sought after category is something that will live long after you are gone. I wouldn't call myself a watchhead but I do have some heirloom watches (Jaeger Reverso Duo and Breitling Navitimer) that I will pass down to my sons. The only advice I can provide is try to buy something "timeless".

If you can afford it, do what makes you happy.

It will be interesting to see if that trend holds. I haven't worn a watch or rings in over 10 years, never liked wearing them. Between various clocks at home and in the car and my iPhone, why do I need a watch? I know a lot of people, even my age, who don't wear watches anymore. Time will tell...

But I certainly agree with the last sentiment. If you can comfortably afford it and you want it, why even ask anyone else?

RobotMom 05-04-2021 02:43 PM

I'm not a watch person. I gave up wearing a watch years ago and get the time from the phone or computer. That being said, I look at a watch as a piece of jewelry. I would not buy a watch but I could see buying myself a really nice piece of jewelry for about the same price as what you are considering paying for your watch. So why not indulge yourself?! Just because I woudn't want a watch as a fancy piece of jewelry doesn't mean you shouldn't have one!

WestUniversity 05-04-2021 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiger8693 (Post 2600035)
I like watches too...

Wow a Breitling! Love it. I couldn’t bring myself to spend that much. Truth be told I did look at one seriously for a while however.

I have a TAG Heuer Aquaracer. Great timepiece. All stainless, it’s built like a tank. As hard as I am on watches it still looks great. Also have a Raymond Weil gold and stainless dress watch.

For everyday wear however DW gave me an Apple Watch…

DougJohnson 05-07-2021 03:31 PM

Quote:

I have a few fancy watches. Hardly ever wear them. My Apple watch is way more useful.

They are *not* an investment. They're not scarce. More are made everyday. And the price difference between buying a new watch and selling a used one?

Oh yeah. If you have saved long enough and hard enough to be able to BTD, it is surprisingly hard to do. But if a fancy watch will make smile every time you look at it, why not?

-- Doug

Delawaredave5 05-07-2021 03:33 PM

Apple Watch Series 3, $169, Walmart.

If you really want to splurge, get Series 6 for $399.

I don't understand the concept of getting pleasure out of material things.

Functionality I understand. But that's me - what matters is what's important to you.

steveark 05-07-2021 03:41 PM

My only watch is the one they gave me for 25 years of service and I don't wear it unless I am wearing a suit. But I say go for it if it's within your budget.

kingkarmann 05-07-2021 04:01 PM

I’ve always longed for a Vintage Omega Speedmaster. These are the ones worn during the Gemini and Apollo missions. To me they are classical beautiful and I love the history.

Global Wizzo 05-07-2021 04:05 PM

Watches

I always liked the Breitling Cockpit series watches. The crazy multi dial watches were useless in low light. The son liked Rolexes and bought a couple. Business partner owned several Rolex and Breitling watches.

If they are automatic or self winding they have to be worn or kept up. That may mean investing in a winder. Periodic maintenance 3-5 years will run you $500 or more.

There are places you don’t want to wear an expensive watch. The Timex works fine then or the phone.

Buy one because you like and want to wear it. An investment is only worth what someone else will pay if you need to liquidate.

troutnut1 05-07-2021 04:11 PM

I guess I’ve read too much Thomas Stanley’s Millionaire Next Door books. My dad was a watch guy and I inherited boxes of them. Nothing like you propose. But I don’t wear them. Nobody cares that I’m that on time. And my Garmin HR Vivoactive was great at tracking my sleep, skiing, and travels, but it made my wrist blister. Now I just look at my phone or ask my wife.

Millionaire Next Door proved that most guys with real money wear Timex or some other cheap watch. Here is a review:

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nyti...aire.html?_r=1

So when I see a pricey watch on someone now I think “wannabe”, although I am sure there are exceptions. I am definitely not impressed. The last watch that impressed me was a gold Seiko with a maroon face in the late 60’s or early 70’s. I think dad paid $70 bucks for it when I was a young man. I still have it. Early auto-winder. I think I’ll get that out and wear it!

But whatever floats your boat.

Gkk2001 05-07-2021 04:12 PM

I cannot relate to a high dollar watch but we all have an indulgent side that we want to satisfy. If this does not break the bank I say go for it. Personally I love the Apple watch after buying the cheapest Chinese watches for many years I feel I am now splurging at $500.

KrisS 05-07-2021 04:52 PM

It's your world

You don't need the input of random strangers on the internet to justify your BTD

It's your world and your choices. Have fun.

(I don't wear the expensive watch I bought very often any more, but I love it just the same because it was a meaningful purchase. but that is just me)

Car-Guy 05-07-2021 05:29 PM

I bought a Rolex (Oyster model) about 10+years ago. I think I caught it on a closeout sale and paid about $3500 at the time. I have no idea what they go for today.... Looks great sitting on a shelf in my safe where it's been and hasn't moved for the past 9+ years. :) Not even sure if it still runs. :)

haloFIRE 05-07-2021 05:42 PM

Garmin Fenix series. Six, or Five - Five is previous generation but still VERY capable. Certainly not high end, but amazingly functional and durable. Bought my Fenix 5 for about $350 on Black Friday a few years ago. Replaced my old Garmin Forerunner 405 (circa 2009) because I needed longer battery life when using the GPS. Fenix 5 gives me about 26 hours of GPS coverage, and about two weeks charge when not using the GPS. Typically I use my phone instead of a watch, but really like the GPS for accurate timing and position when running ultras.

On another note, I rarely have need of a watch or phone to tell the time. Typically I intuitively know the time within five minutes of accuracy, including waking up from a deep sleep in the middle of the night. Not sure why/how I can do this. Perhaps a function of my time in the military?

newlyold 05-07-2021 06:04 PM

Retired, and in need of a new watch: an oxymoron.

Honestly, you're retired. Forget the watch. Forget buying "things. You'll end up your life surrounded by things you can't take with you, at the expense of missing experiences that would make your years fuller.

Lose the watch, and in return receive an attitude of relaxation. Life's not about showing off to others; they're not impressed with ostentatious expenditures that others do to show who's a "have" and who's a "have not".

Sharing a fun adventure with someone? Seeing someplace, doing something, you've never done before? Making someone else's life better?
THAT'S gold for us!

You might discover that not showing off, and not worrying about being on a schedule, is where it's at.

Oh, I get where you're coming from. There are collectors for just about everything, and if you won't be happy without that one gadget (or without a hundred of them, or a thousand), well, you won't be happy. Until you find out you're still unsatisfied after you've gotten it.

So buy it and be happy, or don't buy it--but STILL be happy!

When I was a kid, my father would watch me stare in envy at some fancy house or car or boat as we'd travel, and he'd put it in perspective by saying: "That guy USED to have money."

I'd recommend taking the funds & doing something strange & unusual to you. Head over to the Dominican Republic's poor side of the island and work with the Peace Corps & the locals to try & get them safe sanitation & drinking water. Step back after a year or two and re-evaluate your satisfaction.

Would a fancy new watch have given you the same warm feeling of accomplishment and gratitude as you'll get from your new friends?

Hopefully the well-being of people is the kind of thing you care about, and not so much worrying about the material things in life.

Do what's right for you, but do what's also right for the have-nots in the background, and I'll bet your quality of life will have increased by leaps and bounds. Your mental health will thank you!

RISP 05-07-2021 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al in Ohio (Post 2599859)
Totally agree. Buy a highly functional, high tech watch for under $500 that can text, talk and email and pair with wireless airpods.

Please, OP is interested in a watch, not some plastic piece of crap.

Personally, I wouldn't venture into five digits because I'd worry to much about it being damaged or stolen. But if I'll ever have too much money, a Patek Philippe 5396G-011 or an IWC IW344202 sure would be a treat.

WWDog 05-07-2021 08:28 PM

My watch broke about a month before I retired. I never bothered to replace it. For years I was always checking to make sure I was on time and hadn't missed something on my schedule. It was a phobia I got from my mother. Being an aviator in my earlier life, a watch was essential. In retirement, I don't have to be anywhere at anytime and thus one less tension.

robcam 05-07-2021 09:17 PM

There are worst things to spend your money on.
Example; in 2004 I spent about $5000 Australian each on both a Dell top of the line laptop with software and a Rolex submariner with date.
Now in 2021, Laptop long gone and Rolex is valued at $12500. Something to consider.

gcgang 05-08-2021 01:35 AM

A group of us Michigan alum have been annually meeting up in Vegas for over 30 years.

After dinner we often end up walking thru the hi end shopping, which I’ve never cared about. Once, we were in a watch place. I remarked to one of my friends, who would spend $10k + on a watch, to which he replied he has several.

Many years later, just after I’d retired 7 years ago, I had a huge win. To commemorate the occasion, I was going to buy a gold Rolex Submariner that I’d seen for about what I’d won. My friend says wait a minute, he knows a guy. So he ends up buying himself one also, shipped to us from Italy for about 20% less than the Vegas store. The earlier comment about paying full retail definitely doesn’t apply to my “watch-head” friend.

About the only time I wear it is on the annual reunion trip and local dress up events, but I don’t regret having bought it at all.

Koolau 05-08-2021 01:52 PM

I noticed the other day that my $8 watch was staining my wrist green! I guess I'll have to spend a few extra bucks to get a new one - next time. I suppose the salt air and the sweat as we get close to summer have finally corroded the back quicker than the battery has given out. That's what dooms most of my watches - no value in replacing the battery in a cheap watch. Just stop into Walmart and get a new one.

Still, I see the joy a nice watch is capable of bringing to the person who wants to wear something truly beautiful. I think of some watches as jewelry which I never wear (not even a wedding ring - got chemicals under the thing too many times, back in the day - burned like fire.)

I have always appreciated those with a passion. If someone's passion is to own a fine watch, I would applaud BTD to indulge the passion. The good news is that, should that passion change over time, the truly fine watches hold their value for either trade or redemption to go on to a newer passion. Embrace your passion! We only get so much time. If tracking the hours, minutes, seconds and fractions thereof feeds your passion, it will be money well spent. YMMV

grayparrot 05-08-2021 07:01 PM

Watches are fun

1 Attachment(s)
Mechanical watches are wearable art. Like art, you can find stuff you like for a few bucks in a thrift store, or you can spend millions.. My advice: don’t buy retail unless you somehow get lucky and a Rolex dealer offers you a new Submariner for list price (unlikely unless you are a loyal customer). Focus on near-vintage and newer watches, follow auctions to learn the market. Some watches appreciate dramatically but watches are not a predictable investable asset class with strong returns; assume that if you buy well, they will hold their value. Note that fine watches can cost around $1000 every 5 years or so to maintain. There are lots of beautiful high quality mechanical watches in the $2500-$10k range...no need to start higher. Here are two I bought recently for $5-$7k, both preowned with original papers, for ~30% below retail, and one fine vintage watch I bought at auction for $20k. Rolex, Omega, and Patek are three brands that have a solid history of retaining value.

steelyman 05-08-2021 07:08 PM

Does anybody really know what time it is?

Calico 05-08-2021 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelyman (Post 2604218)
Does anybody really know what time it is?

Does anybody really care?

Montecfo 05-08-2021 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USGrant1962 (Post 2599902)
I don't have anything against Apple watches but it would be insane to buy a high-dollar one only to see it become obsolete in 6 or 7 years. That seems to be about how long iPhones last before current apps won't run on them any more. I recall some of the early adopters of high-end iWatches complained mightily about that issue.

If you are going for a high-end watch keep it simple - can't go wrong with a Swiss mechanical timepiece, except for the price.

I remember when the Apple watch came out and my CTO and Chief Scientist bought them immediately. I am sure they found them functional but boy did they look clunky!

I know there are a lot of Apple fans here but it seemed like anything but an attractive piece of jewelry.

If I were going to get a watch I would definitely get something that looks stylish.

srpuywa 05-08-2021 09:51 PM

I got a deal on a Rolex GMT ($700) when I was stationed in Germany back in the 80's. Sold it last year on eBay for $11K. Not a bad investment since I haven't worn a watch since 1997 when I retired from the Air Force.

Sunset 05-08-2021 11:57 PM

OP - If it doesn't harm your retirement, buy what you want. Just insure it so it will be replaced when stolen/lost.

Personally I'm super happy with my $15 casio with 10 yr battery, I cracked one crystal and so I bought a replacement watch, without a care in the world, my tiny little BTD :D

Dd852 05-09-2021 12:11 AM

I had (blush) two Jaeger-LeCoultre watches when I was working. It was, I think, part of the image but it was also part “wearable art” and it was also part wanting to remind myself that that big salary wasn’t just a number, it had actual tangible value. Anyway, while I had them I truly did get pleasure out of them. Then I retired. And suddenly the pleasure was gone for me - they reminded me of my old life; I got sick of the mandatory c. $1,000 maintenance charges every three years or so. I got sick of the $300 bands. I felt they were really out of place with my very dressed-down FIRE attire. I started working out more and so started wearing my Apple Watch more…. And in the end I sold both. Got good prices, not outstanding like some on this thread, but enough that I felt that I’d “rented” them quite reasonably for a long time, and frankly I haven’t looked back. There hasn’t been one day since that I’ve thought, oh I wish I could put on a nice watch. But I totally get that it is a 100% individual thing, so if you have the itch, scratch it if it doesn’t hurt something more important in your plans. But be prepared for the joy to pale as time goes on.

Dtail 05-09-2021 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calico (Post 2604221)
Does anybody really care?

Very good. They were great in concert.

FIREd 05-09-2021 05:29 AM

Five or six years ago, I started yearning for a nice watch. But I just couldn't justify the price tag for a brand new fancy watch. So I ended up buying a used Omega Seamaster in almost like new condition. I wear it almost every day as it fits my casual lifestyle. I thought about getting a fancy dress watch, but I know that it would only get worn 2-3 times a year and it seemed like a waste of money.

DawgMan 05-09-2021 06:42 AM

I'm back! Man, this thread really took off!

Appreciate all the different opinions/suggestions. I'm only in the exploratory stage right now. As mentioned, this would be pure indulgence, and I am not trying to justify an "investment". Like most things, BTD purchases are personal and everything is relative. Despite really digging some of these $30K+ watches, I will probably set a budget closer to the $10K range to compromise with alter frugal ego. Of course, if it doesn't "move me" at that price point, well, then, back to the drawing board.

I suppose it's just nice to finally be in a position where you can do some of these, perhaps over indulgence BTD purchases, without feeling guilty or feeling you have to justify the practicality/"value proposition".

steelyman 05-09-2021 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawgMan (Post 2604287)
I suppose it's just nice to finally be in a position where you can do some of these, perhaps over indulgence BTD purchases, without feeling guilty or feeling you have to justify the practicality/"value proposition".

That’s an excellent way to view a lot of things (not just jewelry)!