Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   So I am thinking about a new fancy watch... (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/so-i-am-thinking-about-a-new-fancy-watch-109082.html)

ExFlyBoy5 04-30-2021 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dtail (Post 2599984)
Haven't worn a watch in retirement, but go for it.

This. I don't remember the last time I wore a watch. :)

EA-Sports 05-01-2021 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawgMan (Post 2599968)
See, it only took 25 comments to finds a "watch-head"! I'm only kicking tires right now and will do my homework before I consider dropping the dough. Right now, I am digging the rose gold finish with a leather band, thinking a more classical look that can dress up/down. SIL's research has me looking so far at A. Lange & Söhne, Glashutte, Vacheron Constantin, IWC, Jaeger-leCoultre, Blancpain, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, F.P. Journe... I don't think I'm a Rolex guy, looking for something different. I am not a bling guy either, but can appreciate the craftsmanship/engineering that goes into some of these watches I have admired from afar. As you said, any investment is just a lucky bi-product, not the driver. This by no means is about "telling time" or justifying how many days per week I will wear it, but really seeing if I can get over the frugal mentality to BTD. And yes, at a min, whatever watch I do decide to pursue, I will shop the heck out of to at least appease myself "I got the best deal!". I need to spend some time looking at watches at lower price points to further appreciate the differences. My original thought was I could find one I liked for around $10K until I saw some of the beauties noted above.

I'm a sucker for a good looking woman!:coolsmiley:

Excellent choices…one brand in that group I didn’t see is H Moser, maybe because they don’t really have a lot of option in rose gold..I love ALS but I feel like if you’re looking at both ALS and GO, GO is the better value..I love GO panomatic lunar or panoreserve..happy hunting…most WIS aka watch heads enjoy the hunt more or at least as much as the experience of owning the watch…

Scuba 05-01-2021 06:54 AM

I think you should BTD and buy what you want. I personally love my Apple Watch and recently got rid of most of my others except for a Movado I wore for years. But obviously I’m not a “watch head” so I can’t properly appreciate the luxury watches.

Koolau 05-01-2021 04:16 PM

I was fascinated by watches as a little kid. Only thing I ever wanted (well, besides, the Red Rider 200 shot Range Model air rifle with the compass in the stock) was a "real" watch. We were poor and ca. 2nd grade dad got me probably the cheapest wrist watch made at the time. It only had 4 roman numerals on it. I didn't even know what they meant but figured out they must be equivalent to 12, 3, 6 and 9 since that was their location on the dial. The watch lasted about 2 weeks in this kid's hands (er, on his wrist - probably water from washing up for supper.)

I eventually grew out of the wrist watch phase and bought a cheap one for personal use in HS and Univ. FF to Megacorp days. By then, the new "digital" technology was coming into favor. $100 was a lot for an everyday wearer, so I waited until the march of technology meant every $5000 watch from the Swiss was obsolete and a $29.95 K-mart special would run rings around the mechanical ones.

Finally, after years, I found myself again fascinated by the expensive watches in the slick adds in Forbes or other (almost) coffee-table magazines. I'd look at every add and read about the "craftsmanship" how "fine" the watch was, the 14t gold case, the hand-crafted fine Corinthian - oops, wrong ad - leather band, the "thinness" of the watch, the ability to keep time to 1/1000 second per day - on and on. I coveted these "time pieces" but could never get past the fact that my K-mart clunker could do everything these (now digital) watches could do for 1% the cost.

Sadly, I never indulged but I still like the ads. If I ever DID buy a "good" watch, I'd want an "old" one - maybe even a "real" watch - you know, the ones that had wheels and cogs and "jewels" and actually ticked because they actually moved. Probably won't happen, but I envy OP the remaining fascination with a thing of beauty that was once a dream of mine. Enjoy and remember that YMMV.

braumeister 05-01-2021 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolau (Post 2600835)
Sadly, I never indulged but I still like the ads.

Same here. I've never been tempted to buy an expensive watch, but I have to admit the magazine ads are always superbly well done (as are the watches, I'm sure). I'm always amused when we're in Switzerland, since it seems as if there is a watch store on every block. It's an astounding craft, and I've read that there are watches that can take a year or more to build, hence the astronomical price tags.

One of my best friends had a different attitude, and always lusted after a great Rolex. He bought one as soon as he could afford it (some time in his 30s) and he loved that watch more than any car he ever owned.

I always just had a cheap watch on my wrist, but when I finally retired completely, 20 years ago, I stopped wearing one at all. Having the time on my phone was good enough.

Then Apple did what they always do: invented something that you never wanted but suddenly couldn't live without.

I've been wearing an Apple Watch since 2016, currently on the version 6, and I can't imagine being without it. Just absolutely incredible to me what this little thing can do, and I use it constantly. In fact, I'm perfectly comfortable leaving my iPhone at home because of all the capabilities of the watch (I have the model with cellular service). Dick Tracy, eat your heart out!

aja8888 05-01-2021 04:34 PM

Fitbit Versa 2 coupled to a Motorola Power G. "The smart retirement package for an active old dog."

I'd love to have a nice Rolex but I would probably not wear it enough to justify the cost. But each to his own liking.

If I decided to blow $35K, I'd use that on a nice clean used Corvette.

Ready 05-01-2021 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braumeister (Post 2600843)
I've been wearing an Apple Watch since 2016, currently on the version 6, and I can't imagine being without it. Just absolutely incredible to me what this little thing can do, and I use it constantly. In fact, I'm perfectly comfortable leaving my iPhone at home because of all the capabilities of the watch (I have the model with cellular service). Dick Tracy, eat your heart out!

I went for more than 20 years without wearing a watch. When I retired I thought it would be nice to buy a high end watch like the OP is looking for. I visited all the high end stores trying to learn more about them. Then on my way out, I stopped by the Apple store and had a chance to play with the original Apple Watch. I knew as soon as I picked it up that was the watch for me.

But comparing an Apple Watch to a Rolex is apples and oranges. A Rolex is a fine piece of jewelry. An Apple Watch is a computer that fits on your wrist. The only thing they have in common is they both sit on your wrist and they both can tell you what time it is. Beyond that they have nothing in common.

But now that I’ve experienced having a computer on my wrist, I could never go back to an analog watch. It would drive me nuts.

travelover 05-01-2021 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ready (Post 2600879)
......But comparing an Apple Watch to a Rolex is apples and oranges...........

No, it is Apples and Rolexes. ;)

Midpack 05-01-2021 05:55 PM

Do what makes you happy.

Some of these folks who “can’t see it” probably have other things they’re inclined to BTD on - houses, cars, travel/vacations, jewelry, boats, planes, etc. Though I briefly considered an $8K Rolex (30 yo price), my best watch was a $1200 Rado (30 yo price), and that was partly for business purposes. My boss wore a $20K Patek Phillipe (20 yo price).

But I had sailboats from 26’ to 35’ (all bought new) and never hesitated, and never asked anyone else their opinion.

Again, do what makes you happy!

Amethyst 05-01-2021 06:46 PM

If you like fancy things, and can afford them, better get them while you're still in shape to enjoy them.

RobbieB 05-01-2021 06:51 PM

People blow dough on what they want to. Easy.

Same as it ever was.

Walt34 05-01-2021 07:07 PM

The last time I bought an expensive watch was in high school. I spent $45 on a very nice self-winding watch by a then-well-known Swiss watchmaker which was a pile of money for a kid making $1.25/hour pumping gas.

Two weeks later I made an "unscheduled dismount" from my motorcycle and it stopped running. I took it to a repair shop and the guy said he took the back off and shook the pieces out.

After that I've never spent more than $10 for a watch.

aja8888 05-01-2021 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amethyst (Post 2600907)
If you like fancy things, and can afford them, better get them while you're still in shape to enjoy them.

Good advice here!

Doribe 05-01-2021 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travelover (Post 2599817)
Don't be a square. Get an Apple watch like all the cool kids have.

+1

thepalmersinking 05-02-2021 07:35 AM

I bought an Explorer II in 2001 for $3K. I saw the same watch at a pawn shop for $5.5k and a new one is $9k. I wouldn’t call them an investment but pick the right ones and you should be able to get your money back.

Green Papaya 05-02-2021 09:03 AM

I just do what made me feel happy. Bought DW a nice Rolex because she wanted one and I could afford it. I, on the other hand, wanted to get rid of my own Rolex which I acquired during my working days. Now I wear a Timex everywhere I go.

Breedlove 05-02-2021 10:04 AM

Years ago when I was still working my boss went on a cruise . He bought an expense Tag Heuer . So he wore it to work and everyone was talking about it . A few weeks later I found a place on the net to buy a lookalike copy for 19.00
So I bought one and it came from China , had to pick up at the post office. I wore it to work and you know all the remarks ..Bluntly the watch was junk the stem kept falling out . But kept my mouth shut and one day at one of our meetings I threw it on the floor and stepped. On it ....you should have seen the looks .

Drake3287 05-02-2021 11:16 AM

Haven't read all the responses here but I finally purchased an "expensive" Rolex watch after years of wanting one and I'm glad I finally did it. For years I couldn't justify spending the money because of having to put my kids through college, save for retirement and all the other life expenses.

I finally got off my rear-end and did it although I was quick to learn that these popular and expensive watches aren't simply sitting in show cases waiting to be bought. Any expensive watch worth buying has a long waiting list to get. I was fortunate enough to get my Rolex "Batman" watch after just a 6 month wait. It's currently much longer now.

Although it wasn't purchased as an investment, I paid $10,000 for my watch 2 years ago and even now as used, it's worth something like $15,000 and there's a line of people waiting to buy it at that price! Yes, crazy.

You only live once so buy what you want. Also, don't worry about what others will think if you're wearing an expensive watch. No one other than another Rolex owner has ever noticed my watch. And yes, once in a while it does come up in conversation with strangers who are also Rolex owners. No different than any product such as a car.

CSdot 05-02-2021 11:29 AM

My wife bought me a Rolex Submariner when our first child was born in 1999. I think she spent $3K on it new. I suspect they cost more than that today. We enjoy scuba diving, so it has been used at depth. It was a daily wear watch for a long time, though I find myself wearing my Apple Watch more now because it lets me know when I am getting a message or call since I prefer to have my ringer off on the iPhone.

I have sent the Submariner to Rolex twice for the 10 year service where they take the watch apart, clean it, polish it, lubricate the parts, put it back together and test it for accuracy (cost $500). Each time it came back from Rolex, it ran and looked brand new.

I also inherited my dad's Rolex that he bought (I suspect because he saw that I had been wearing one for years) several years before he passed. I occasionally wear that one for black tie events.

Drake3287 05-02-2021 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSdot (Post 2601169)
My wife bought me a Rolex Submariner when our first child was born in 1999. I think she spent $3K on it new. I suspect they cost more than that today.

Your wife unknowingly made a great investment. I'm sure that "used" Submariner is worth $10,000 or so now. Prices are crazy now and will probably never really come down, sort of like real estate.