Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Fractional Sailboat Membership (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/fractional-sailboat-membership-109085.html)

Fermion 05-02-2021 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunset (Post 2601092)
Yes, I've thought of that with my cars, often they sit still in the garage. A total waste of money each day ;)

I do wonder how many cars have sat a bit idle during these work at home COVID times.

Our big sailboat has sat idle in the slip for a year now because of COVID travel restrictions and other factors. Just the slip fees and registration/insurance are around $6,000 a year. This is not counting the delayed maintenance since boats are essentially just decaying as they sit in the salt water.

Compare this with our little sailboat, which sits safely inside our pole barn on its trailer, costing us $55 a year in registration...and we actually used it twice last year!

skyking1 05-02-2021 09:32 AM

@out-to-lunch,
That is a good deal. I did that one year with the 22 Catalina. DW got scared when she got blown down while at the helm.

audreyh1 05-02-2021 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fermion (Post 2601111)
I do wonder how many cars have sat a bit idle during these work at home COVID times.

Our big sailboat has sat idle in the slip for a year now because of COVID travel restrictions and other factors. Just the slip fees and registration/insurance are around $6,000 a year. This is not counting the delayed maintenance since boats are essentially just decaying as they sit in the salt water.

Compare this with our little sailboat, which sits safely inside our pole barn on its trailer, costing us $55 a year in registration...and we actually used it twice last year!

COVID travel restrictions meant you could sail the big boat? Do you not bother if you are only sailing out and back with no other destination?

Fermion 05-02-2021 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2601117)
COVID travel restrictions meant you could sail the big boat? Do you not bother if you are only sailing out and back with no other destination?

We could not go into Canada, which was a key sailing destination, also we did not want to take the risk of traveling to the boat before vaccinations as it would involve interactions with more people on the ~7 hour drive to the coast and the larger population density where the boat is moored.

Should be better this year, except we are still really busy on the house build.

audreyh1 05-02-2021 12:42 PM

I see.

Our marina was a 15 minute drive from home through some pretty hill country. On a lake. It was very usable especially while working, after that we started traveling too much.

Because our marina fees were low and we paid little for the older sailboat when we first got it, we never felt like we had a money hole.

WestUniversity 05-02-2021 12:47 PM

Fractional Sailboat Membership
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fermion (Post 2601089)
As opposed to full ownership, which means paying for years when you can't find time to sail ;D


For me it was a hole in the water I poured a lot of money into. Never mind the routine expenses of a slip, insurance, utilities at the dock, and fuel. Also all of the ďmarine dutyĒ parts that regularly failed and all seemed to cost either $50 or $1,000. The endless trips to West Marine. Then thereís the really big expenses. Haul out to scrape barnacles, new anti fouling paint, repacking the shaft seal on the prop, pulling the stick to re-bed the mast plate screws because of a leak that also compromised some of the internal structure of the compression post, maintaining the gel coat of the fiberglass, maintenance on the diesel engine etc, etc, etc.

The old cliche was true for me. The two happiest days in a boat owners lifeÖ. the day he buys it and the day he sells it. Particularly if itís a boat that is always in the water in a slip.

Iíll take a Sunfish on a lake any dayÖ

YMMV

Midpack 05-02-2021 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WestUniversity (Post 2601212)
For me it was a hole in the water I poured a lot of money into. Never mind the routine expenses of a slip, insurance, utilities at the dock, and fuel. Also all of the “marine duty” parts that regularly failed and all seemed to cost either $50 or $1,000. The endless trips to West Marine. Then there’s the really big expenses. Haul out to scrape barnacles, new anti fouling paint, repacking the shaft seal on the prop, pulling the stick to re-bed the mast plate screws because of a leak that also compromised some of the internal structure of the compression post, maintaining the gel coat of the fiberglass, maintenance on the diesel engine etc, etc, etc.

That's how I gave up on owning sailboats after 30 years and 5 sailboats from 26' to 35', 20 years racing sailboats. I was summarizing our spending and looked at what the boat cost me in 2018 - multiplied that by 20-30 years - and the total sum was staggering! I worked a lot of extra years for sailing, loved it, but not that much. Now I pay $550 a year to take out small daysailers up to 19' anytime I want, race or cruise, with no maintenance and no added expenses. Good enough...

Brat 05-02-2021 01:41 PM

Last weekend DH and I were dog-sitting on a floating home. A sailboater pulled their boat at the adjacent marina, loaded it on a trailer but failed to drop the mast. The whole area was out of power for 6 hours as PGE untangled the mast from a high-power line. Awful for us but it would have been worse if they had tangled with an overpass on the freeway.

audreyh1 05-02-2021 01:43 PM

OK, I remember occasionally honking at an RV that forgot to drop its TV antenna, but a sailboat mast!?!? :o

skyking1 05-02-2021 03:04 PM

That is epic fail. i work in heavy construction and one day i saw two trucks take out something with a raised bed or too high a bed. I drive a dump truck myself and always get out and look up before raising the bed.
The one boo-boo, I am waiting on the equipment to be delivered and this dump truck takes out the traffic lights right in front of me. I began to wonder if the job was jinxed.

WestUniversity 05-02-2021 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midpack (Post 2601217)
That's how I gave up on owning sailboats after 30 years and 5 sailboats from 26' to 35', 20 years racing sailboats. I was summarizing our spending and looked at what the boat cost me in 2018 - multiplied that by 20-30 years - and the total sum was staggering! I worked a lot of extra years for sailing, loved it, but not that much. Now I pay $550 a year to take out small daysailers up to 19' anytime I want, race or cruise, with no maintenance and no added expenses. Good enough...


Agreed. I hate to think about how much money Iíve spent over the years. Simply staggering. Thatís why Iíll take a Sunfish any day. Super simple design and super easy to learn on, and with a planing hull vs a displacement hull so much fun and so fast on a windy day. Iíve also sailed cats, Hobies, Prindles etc. Lots of fun in my younger days but too much work in comparisonÖ

Brat 05-02-2021 08:41 PM

My son started sailing with a Lazer and he is starting to teach his son. I would never recommend that boat for adult recreational sailers. He moved up to a Balboa when he realized that girls don't like to get wet sailing.

Son and wife own a boatyard. With rare exceptions, they are happy to let sailboat owners use another yard (there aren't a lot of large sailboats on the Columbia/Willamette Rivers), no need to get greedy. What gives me shivers is when a boat owner wants to ocean sail with his family with little ocean sailing experience.

There was a time when we explored sailboat rental as described by the OP and IMHO that is the way to go unless you have the time and financial resources to own the boat you want to use. We rented a sailboat out of Bellingham to sail in the Gulf Islands. Great experience.

Starsky 05-02-2021 08:56 PM

I had an acquaintance who loved the membership format and we looked into it in San Diego. At least there's a start and end to the deal, so you could try it and see if it works for you, and any gear problems are someone else's responsibility.
Boats are not cheap no matter how you slice it. Even the cheapest cruiser needs a slip to store it in, annual registration, and the occasional hull cleaning and maintenance - not to mention having good sails. That's another $5k+ per year, minimum for the most primitive 28' day cruiser.
One other thing to ask about is whether the membership has any reciprocal privileges available with other similar places. The ability to have easy access to nice sailboats in other ports is always something I thought would be very cool.

Brat 05-02-2021 09:07 PM

Thank you for mentioning moorage. In Seattle metro don't buy a boat without a slip. The states are limiting moorage so a place to tie up your boat is critical.

WestUniversity 05-03-2021 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brat (Post 2601398)
My son started sailing with a Lazer and he is starting to teach his son. I would never recommend that boat for adult recreational sailers. He moved up to a Balboa when he realized that girls don't like to get wet sailing.


Iíve seen a couple of Beneteau sailboats over the years that I really liked. Have always loved their boats. But then I remember all the work and expenses and come back to my sensesÖ

skyking1 05-04-2021 07:48 PM

They always look fantastic when someone else is taking care of them

Koolau 05-04-2021 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyking1 (Post 2602471)
They always look fantastic when someone else is taking care of them

Each house we've "spruced up", we asked "Why are we selling this?" Cleaning the plane to sell, we did the same thing. I'm sure a boat has the same dynamic, though YMMV.

Scuba 05-05-2021 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ready (Post 2600638)
My family had motor boats growing up so Iíve spent a fair amount of time on the water. Sailing is somewhat new to me but not to DH. I donít mind the smaller 22 foot boats but I prefer a boat with a nice interior and a well appointment Lav and galley, especially if we are taking friends out with us.

Sailing in So Cal is not as nice as in places like Florida or Virgin Islands. There are not a lot of destinations so itís mostly just open sailing. We can sail to Catalina and stay overnight, or head down to San Diego. The water is always cold and the weather can be chilly even during the summer.



So given that itís mostly open sailing and chilly, do you enjoy sailing in So CA enough to get your moneyís worth from this program?

Ready 05-06-2021 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba (Post 2602987)
So given that itís mostly open sailing and chilly, do you enjoy sailing in So CA enough to get your moneyís worth from this program?

Thatís the question I keep asking myself. Realistically if we have to pay for the membership on our own, the answer is probably no. But if we can split the membership with some friends of ours the dollar amount is small enough that Iíd probably be willing to give it a try.

srpuywa 05-06-2021 08:56 AM

How much sailing experience do you have?

Southern California is pretty boring place to sail


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.