If I die before 70

Russ2020

Dryer sheet aficionado
Just a quick question for the forum. My wife and I are retired. Currently I am 64 and not taking SS. My wife is 65 and receiving her SS. I am waiting until 70 to take my SS since my SS amount is greater than my wife's. Question: What happens if I die before reaching 70? Will my wife still be able to claim my SS. If so what amount would she receive. Would it be the amount that I would have received if I had taken it at the time of my death. Thanks for any help on this question.

This is an informative page: https://articles.opensocialsecurity.com/survivor-benefit-calculation/

In particular:

If your spouse had not filed yet for his/her own retirement benefit by the time he/she died, then:

If your spouse died prior to his/her full retirement age, your benefit as a surviving spouse will be your deceased spouse’s PIA.
If your spouse died after reaching his/her full retirement age, your benefit as a surviving spouse will be whatever he/she would have received as a retirement benefit, if he/she had filed on his/her date of death.

Thank You.

If your spouse had not filed yet for his/her own retirement benefit by the time he/she died, then:

If your spouse died prior to his/her full retirement age, your benefit as a surviving spouse will be your deceased spouse’s PIA.

If your spouse died after reaching his/her full retirement age, your benefit as a surviving spouse will be whatever he/she would have received as a retirement benefit, if he/she had filed on his/her date of death.

Back
Top Bottom