How much is Medicare and all that goes with it?

disneysteve

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I realize the answer can vary based on many factors and the specifics of the plans you purchase, but one thing I don't see discussed much is how much Medicare costs. Everyone talks about their healthcare costs until they qualify for Medicare, but there isn't nearly as much discussion about what happens once you're on it.

I'd love to see some real life example of what people are spending for basic Medicare, supplements, drug plans, and any other add-ons and bells and whistles that are out there.

I realize the answer can vary based on many factors and the specifics of the plans you purchase, but one thing I don't see discussed much is how much Medicare costs. Everyone talks about their healthcare costs until they qualify for Medicare, but there isn't nearly as much discussion about what happens once you're on it.

I'd love to see some real life example of what people are spending for basic Medicare, supplements, drug plans, and any other add-ons and bells and whistles that are out there.
Medicare Part B $148.50, Part D $42.00, Medigap G $270.00 = $460.50.

If your income is high Part B is more.

I'm paying $344.75 per month for coverage.
Medicare is $148.50 per month.
Part B is 176.25 per month
and my Part D is about 20.00 per month.

Part A = free
Part B = 148.50
That's all I've got. HMO through pension = 1c
I'm paying $344.75 per month for coverage.
Medicare is $148.50 per month.
Part B is 176.25 per month
and my Part D is about 20.00 per month.
What Part is 148.50:confused:

Last edited:
Here's what I pay (every cent so far this year).

$148.50 monthly Medicare, Part B. This can be more if your AGI gets too high

$267.48 monthly Federal retiree BCBS Standard supplement which acts as the usual Medicare supplement but also covers Part D. No deductibles or co-pays, other than prescription co-pays. Expensive (so they say) but personally I love it, and I earned it, so hey, BTD, I'm sticking with it. Those that don't like my choice can stand in the corner and make mean faces at me.

$36.00 prescription co-pay so far this year

$63.77 diabetic supplies and OTC meds so far this year. Could probably get most of this free through medicare or insurance but I don't bother. I'd rather just order exactly what I want and need on Amazon.

As you can tell, I'm not watching my pennies too much these days. I'll be 73 in about 3 weeks and I am becoming more and more aware that I can't take it with me when my time comes. Which hopefully will be many years from now, but who knows.

If we get hit by massive hyper-inflation as the fear mongers predict, then I suppose I'll have to stop acting so cavalier about my medical expenses.

Part A = free
Part B = 148.50
That's all I've got. HMO through pension = 1c
What Part is 148.50:confused:

I probably have the terms wrong.

I pay $455.50 every 3 months to CMS Medicare insurance. ($149.50 per mo)

My G supplement is 176.25

Part D is about $20.00

Part B = $148.50
Part D = $6.60
AARP UHC G supplement = $163.64
Already have met my annual Part B deductible of $203.00

For me and my POV:

Part A = $0 now (Paid for while working so it "ain't" free)
Part B = $475 mo (:mad:) But on the bright side, it could have been worse by another $35mo :).
Part C = $0 (And well worth it)
Part D = $75 mo (but that's only for "covered drugs" and not always the stuff that works)
------------------------------------------------------------
Total Mediciare insurance premium cost per yr $6600

How many times did I go to the doctor last year = 1 for annual checkup (seems expensive for 1 "20 minute" office visit)

Next year those number will change due to inflation, IRMMA changes and the DW turns 65...

Last edited:
Does this help? Part B Screenshot_20210516-122045_Chrome.jpeg
Part D - Prescription (I don't have this as I have a basically free HMO through my pension and pay $10 every 6 months for 1 med) Screenshot_20210516-122314_Chrome.jpeg
So now you know my income was less than 88k in 2019

Last edited:
This is going vary wildly from person to person depending on retirement benefits. For me:

148.50 - Part B
0.00 - Medicare Advantage PPO (retirement benefit)

Total for year - 1,782

Part B - $148.50/mo (I actually pay $207.90 thanks to IRMAA & Roth conversions)
Secondary (Plan G) - $131+/mo
Part D - $13+/mo (actually pay $25.30+/mo more, IRMAA & Roth)
Dental - $26+/mo

It’s a screaming bargain compared to private insurance/ACA before Medicare eligibility!

Hopefully the OP can tell the difference between Medicare Advantage vs Medicare Supplement, different plans - the posts above are mixed.

Last edited:
Here's what I pay (every cent so far this year).

$63.77 diabetic supplies and OTC meds so far this year. Could probably get most of this free through medicare or insurance but I don't bother. I'd rather just order exactly what I want and need on Amazon.

I'm a Type II diabetic on an insulin pump (at my option.)
Part B pays has been paying 80% for my insulin which means my co-pay has been $505 quarterly. Insulin is $305 for a tiny vial.
Part B also pays 80% of my pump supplies and I pay about $127 a quarter.
Trump twisted the arms of Big Pharma and is now getting them to charge $105 a quarter for insulin on Part D--saving me about $400 a quarter.

We switched over 10/2020 to Part F on the Supplement (from Part G) because that plan covers all of Part B. I was needing a new very expensive Insulin Pump and my wife needed a $2500 electric wheelchair.

My wife has had 9 surgeries in the last 3 years, and we've paid very lilttle on co-pays. The hospital bill for the knee replacement was $92K. We've never even seen a bill on the other surgeries.

It's very important to pay close attention to all our medical costs, including medicines.

Last edited:
I'm assuming the prices you are all listing are per person. So I need to double those for my wife and I, correct?

Last edited:
My numbers are similar to everyone else--per person per month:

Medicare Part B $148.50
Supplement--Plan G $108 (I have to pay a deductible around $200 per year)
Prescription Part D $13

My biggest expenses are the things Medicare does not pay:

Dental--Medicare does not pay for dental, i have not found any dental insurance that is any good. My dental expenses can run from $500-5000 per year

Eyes--Medicare will pay for some eye tests, like the test for glaucoma and for cataract surgery but will not pay for routine eye exams or glasses or contacts

Annual physical- Medicare pays for something called "Annual Wellness Visit"which in my opinion is worthless. You don't even get to see a doctor. If I want a full physical it costs about $300 and I pay that out of pocket

Eyes--Medicare will pay for some eye tests, like the test for glaucoma and for cataract surgery but will not pay for routine eye exams or glasses or contacts

Annual physical- Medicare pays for something called "Annual Wellness Visit"which in my opinion is worthless. You don't even get to see a doctor. If I want a full physical it costs about $300 and I pay that out of pocket
Medicare & Medigap paid in full for my "routine" visit to an ophthalmologist last year. I hadn't had my eyes checked in more than 5 years. My previous ophthalmologist was in the same practice but had left, so I hadn't seen this doctor before. I wasn't having any problems but decided I was overdue for a checkup. It was coded as follows:

92004 - Eye And Medical Examination For Diagnosis And Treatment, New Patient, 1 Or More Visits

My primary care doctor conducted my recent "Annual Wellness Visit".

Medicare & Medigap paid in full for my "routine" visit to an ophthalmologist last year. I hadn't had my eyes checked in more than 5 years. My previous ophthalmologist was in the same practice but had left, so I hadn't seen this doctor before. I wasn't having any problems but decided I was overdue for a checkup. It was coded as follows:

92004 - Eye And Medical Examination For Diagnosis And Treatment, New Patient, 1 Or More Visits

My primary care doctor conducted my recent "Annual Wellness Visit".

You are lucky! No physician in my area does the Annual Wellness Visit --it is done by a nurse or PA and there is not much to it.

Medicare Part B $148.50
Medigap GHD $55.00
Part D $7.20
Total $210.70

My wife has the same plans so a total of $421.40 for our household.

$4512.20 a year includes $203 a year Part B deductible that I pay every year.

Younger wife pays about $600 a year less on Sup G

I'm assuming the prices you are all listing are per person. So I need to double those for my wife and I, correct?
Yes. This is per person based on your income 2 years ago:

Does this help? Part B View attachment 38948
Part D - Prescription (I don't have this as I have a basically free HMO through my pension and pay $10 every 6 months for 1 med) View attachment 38949
So now you know my income was less than 88k in 2019
And yes: I Googled it as I became interested in knowing the sliding scale CMS actually uses. So apparently you could pay anywhere from 148.5×2 to 504.9×2 for just Medicare B depending upon your income in 2019 (if starting Medicare 2021) or 2020 (if starting Medicare 2022). Add more for script coverage if selecting it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom