Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   What are the oldest clothing items in your closet? (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/what-are-the-oldest-clothing-items-in-your-closet-109509.html)

aja8888 06-04-2021 11:43 AM

What are the oldest clothing items in your closet?

A while back, our bedroom closet, a masterpiece of size and storage capacity, had an "event". The event consisted of a loud bang when the top rail of the three rails that hold clothing pulled the screws out of the mounting brackets that held the bar to the sheet rock and studded wall. The whole rack (about 12 feet of it) fell from just under the 8' ceiling right to the floor of the closet.

I should have taken a picture of this mess because it was impressive. I couldn't even make my way into the closet since the rack and items on it were blocking the doorway and wedged against the two other horizontal clothing racks, which were also packed to the gills with items of clothing.

When DW came to see what the big noise was, she didn't say a thing, other than I had a new project.....right! Dissecting this mess I realized that all the items (hundreds of them) on that elevated storage bar were hers. And about 75% of the stuff hanging on the other two horizontal bars belonged to her also. My "space" was about a 6' long span and contained every piece of clothing I owned except for what's in my dresser (socks, underwear, tee shirts, sweaters)

Once into the clothing removal to get at the damage, I saw that a good portion of DW's stuff was from a time when she was a District Manager for a big commercial real estate company (before we met) and were really business suits, slacks, and blouses not in style to be worn in these modern times. :rolleyes: I found out much of this stuff was late 1970's and maybe even a bit earlier up to when she retired 10 years ago. And there was a lot of it. This was about 40+ years of accumulation!

Didn't she ever throw anything away? (we married 20+ years ago so I don't know much about her life before age 48)

I "suggested" she clean this stuff out and not line the three 12' clothing racks with hundreds of pounds of clothes she will never wear again. Well, that didn't go over too well.....:facepalm: After a bit of negotiation, we compromised and each of us would get rid of "some" clothing items and the top bar in the closet would not be used again (after I repaired the sheet rock and repainted the walls). You need to use a step ladder to get stuff on that top rack anyway.

To make a long story short, I dumped a few old sweatshirts of mine dating back 20 years or so and she donated about two SUV's full of clothing that would not be worn by her ever again. (some of it wouldn't fit her anyway). I fixed the bar brackets, installed 3" long wood screws and repainted the wall. I also reinforced the lower two bar brackets with 3" long wood screws before they gave way.

Oh, I'm not mentioning the shoes (never to be worn again) in "many" boxes taking up shelf space on the other wall of the closet...:laugh:

So what's in your closet that can be purged????

Car-Guy 06-04-2021 11:46 AM

My bronzed baby shoes... :) And yes, they are in the closet....

aja8888 06-04-2021 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car-Guy (Post 2615903)
My bronzed baby shoes... :) And yes, they are in the closet....

Now that's pretty neat!:)

I still have a sweatshirt I bought at the Yale bookstore in 1972 in the closet. It has a hand painted Bulldog on the front of it.

braumeister 06-04-2021 12:31 PM

A lightweight running jacket I bought in 1974, probably the oldest thing still in current use. Can't think of anything else in the closet, but there are most likely some older things in with my camping gear.

ExFlyBoy5 06-04-2021 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would say the gray pull over you see in this picture. With the exception of my shorts/underwear/socks drawers (2) this is the entirety of my clothing...and I still have too much. My DW however? About 5x this amount yet she wears a small fraction of it. :coolsmiley:

harllee 06-04-2021 12:46 PM

I have t shirts from when I was in college (the 1960s) and I still wear them on occasion!

aja8888 06-04-2021 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 (Post 2615925)
I would say the gray pull over you see in this picture. With the exception of my shorts/underwear/socks drawers (2) this is the entirety of my clothing...and I still have too much. My DW however? About 5x this amount yet she wears a small fraction of it. :coolsmiley:

That's about where I am except DW has much less now. :)

Amethyst 06-04-2021 01:17 PM

I have a few things from the 1970's that still fit despite many wearings. Also have a gorgeous prom gown, with a low back, which my Mom made for me when I was 15. I am slightly too thin for it now. Wish she was still here to re-fit it (she was an expert seamstress). It would be perfect for a cruise formal night, if we ever cruise again.

Still wearing a few pairs of shorts from the 80's. Also some threadbare 1980's concert T-shirts, that have seen much yardwork and painting duty.

Mr. A. has some suits that must be 50 years old. He had the most beautiful clothing I have ever seen - all tailor made.

athena53 06-04-2021 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amethyst (Post 2615940)
Mr. A. has some suits that must be 50 years old. He had the most beautiful clothing I have ever seen - all tailor made.

Yeah, I've got those, including the all-cotton shirts with french cuffs and some 14k gold cuff links. I can't bear to part with them since they're god for weddings and funerals, but that's about it. I joke that they motivate me to keep my weight down.

Not much to throw out, really. Sometimes I find something I haven't worn for years and start wearing it again. I have a giant collection of T-shirts and rotate them, so they all get worn.

Oldest item: my dress winter coat from Brooks Brothers, camel hair, with a faded Union label inside, purchased in 1983. It still looks beautiful; no need to replace it.

RunningBum 06-04-2021 01:38 PM

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...own-98515.html was a similar thread.

FLSUnFIRE 06-04-2021 02:45 PM

I still have and wear a leather belt from at least when I was 15 (A couple notches up at 47 but still fits) Have a few vintage T-Shirts as well that also date from the mid-teen years, not worn except on special occasions.

I also have some ties from the 1960s and 1970s that were my dads.... I had a very toxic boss several years ago that decided one day to make me wear a tie way out of line with the office norm just to flex her narcissistic and sadistic muscle (summer in FL). I acquired the ugliest and most out of fashion ties as protest... it became fun because everyone knew my tie meant "FU!" and even donated FU ties. I won that battle. Fond memories of an evil person.

Teacher Terry 06-04-2021 02:48 PM

I don’t have a ton of clothes and got rid of most of my work clothes when I retired.

Walt34 06-04-2021 03:08 PM

I have an old blue jean jacket that dates from the Ford administration but I keep it more for sentimental value and to dig at DW ("Why don't you throw that thing out?"). I bought it at a time when money was very tight because I owned an airplane, $12 at J.C. Penny and it has a lining in it! But I saved a bundle changing oil on cars and the airplane instead of paying to have it done while wearing that jacket.

Other than that one item we're actually pretty good about throwing out or donating clothes we don't wear anymore. Having to deal with emptying FIL's house made us acutely aware of how much "stuff" we have and that eventually we or someone else is going to have to deal with it. So when there's a question about an item the propensity is to get rid of it if we haven't used it for a year or more.

Ronstar 06-04-2021 03:16 PM

Still have my high school letterman jacket ca 1970.

I really need to purge the clothes. We took all of our snowbird condo clothes back home to Illinois when we sold the condo. At last count I had 17 pairs of shorts. And still have all of my work clothes - several pairs of pants in each of my slim, normal and fat sizes. 20 some dress shirts. Our clothes take up the closets in 3 bedrooms, hall closet, laundry room storage and a bunch of plastic bins. I can't get DW to get rid of the stuff, and she won't let me purge.

street 06-04-2021 03:20 PM

I also have a late 70's letterman jacket, couple of coats and a few sweaters from my college days.

sengsational 06-04-2021 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've just taken this picture. These jeans are just getting good. We acquired a sewing machine, and I've been trying to keep them going, but I fear the end is near.

Ronstar 06-04-2021 03:36 PM

^ the kids today would pay big bucks for those jeans.

aja8888 06-04-2021 04:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I also have a set of oilfield coveralls in my section of the closet (non-FRC) from the 80's when I was "re-careering" myself from manufacturing to Big Oil. Today they are not allowed as all oilfied clothing has to be fire retardant. I used them for years when I was restoring old cars. Those coveralls are "tough as nails", so to say.

sengsational - As Ron said, you have sought after jeans.

Here's about 1/2 of DW's stuff after the purge. Notice the upper clothing bar that's not in use anymore.

Attachment 39149

Palmtree 06-04-2021 04:35 PM

I turn 61 in Sept. I still have the down vest I bought when I was a senior in high school. It's a puffer vest and now back in style. Bonus!

harllee 06-04-2021 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronstar (Post 2616025)
^ the kids today would pay big bucks for those jeans.

Why do the kids pay extra for jeans with holes in them? I my day we would die of embarrassment if we wore a pair of jeans with holes.

aja8888 06-04-2021 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harllee (Post 2616072)
Why do the kids pay extra for jeans with holes in them? I my day we would die of embarrassment if we wore a pair of jeans with holes.

Kids are big into tattoos too these days. No one had a "tat" when I was a kid. My Dad had one from WWII when he was in the Navy.

My 41 year old daughter is finally "over" the jeans with holes.

Walt34 06-04-2021 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2616074)
Kids are big into tattoos too these days. No one had a "tat" when I was a kid.

Same here. Anyone who did was mere "trash" and if female, only one step up from a streetwalking hooker.

CardsFan 06-04-2021 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2615901)

My "space" was about a 6' long span and contained every piece of clothing I owned except for what's in my dresser (socks, underwear, tee shirts, sweaters)

You get 6 feet? Your wife must really love you. ;D:dance:

Gulfbeach 06-04-2021 06:11 PM

This doesnít compare to a lot of you, but just yesterday I purged an entire rack of very sparkly tops from twenty years ago when we started cruising!

pjm-7 06-04-2021 06:15 PM

The oldest thing in my closet is a late-1950's "fit and flair" dress that belonged to my mom. Yes, it fits me. I hang on to it just in case I get invited to a costume party. All I need to add is a string of pearls and I can do my best June Cleaver vacuuming the living room.

jimbee 06-04-2021 06:42 PM

I have a shirt I bought in 1977 when I was in college. Yes, it still fits.

ejman 06-04-2021 06:43 PM

I still have a coat hanging in the closet somewhere that I wore to school on cold days about 60 years ago. Its still there in spite of repeated attempts by the boss to get rid of it.

Amethyst 06-04-2021 06:53 PM

While I don't usually care for passive-agressive behavior, in this case I think your response was exactly right. I never had a boss who dictated office wear (our work culture wouldn't have stood for it) but am familiar with the evil sadists that somehow manage to get put in charge of other people. Resist to the end!

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE (Post 2615985)
I

I had a very toxic boss several years ago that decided one day to make me wear a tie way out of line with the office norm just to flex her narcissistic and sadistic muscle (summer in FL). I acquired the ugliest and most out of fashion ties as protest... it became fun because everyone knew my tie meant "FU!" and even donated FU ties.

stepford 06-04-2021 06:57 PM

Still have my old Adidas soccer cleats from high school. A broken ankle during practice ended my dreams of varsity glory, but I kept them around for the occasional pickup game. I haven't worn them in a good 20 years and I suspect they'd tear the tendons right out of my ankles now if I tried.

Amethyst 06-04-2021 06:58 PM

Jeans with holes make me want to give them the early-70's treatment. Patch the holes with contrasting fabric, or embroider flowers around them. Cut off the frayed bell bottoms and attach new ones made of contrasting fabric. I had the coolest hippie jeans in high school, because I could sew.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2616074)

My 41 year old daughter is finally "over" the jeans with holes.

Amethyst 06-04-2021 06:59 PM

Ripe for the hippie-jeans treatment (described in my earlier post).

Quote:

Originally Posted by sengsational (Post 2616021)
I've just taken this picture. These jeans are just getting good. We acquired a sewing machine, and I've been trying to keep them going, but I fear the end is near.

Ronstar 06-04-2021 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harllee (Post 2616072)

Back in the day, our jeans ripped around the knees when they got old. So we just cut them down to shorts and wore them until they ripped somewhere more revealing. Then we got rid of them.

For youngsters today it doesn't matter where the holes are. Some of their jeans have more space taken up by holes than by material.

teetee 06-04-2021 07:13 PM

The oldest clothing in my closet is a bag of old school swim trunks, goggles, and swim cap that are over 20 yrs old.

38Chevy454 06-04-2021 07:33 PM

Have an old fraternity letters shirt from college. About 36 years old now. Also one size too small now. But can't get rid of it due to sentimental reasons.

aja8888 06-04-2021 07:34 PM

Thinking back after reading the responses, I threw away a pair of steel-toed work boots about two years ago that I bought about 1976 when I was in manufacturing in Connecticut. I used those work boots even though the leather cracked and they took water from the sides. They were OK in dry weather and they looked "experienced". :laugh:

I believe I had those work boots 42 years and used them about 40 of those years. My DW bugged me for years to replace them and get them out of the closet.

harllee 06-04-2021 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjm-7 (Post 2616108)
The oldest thing in my closet is a late-1950's "fit and flair" dress that belonged to my mom. Yes, it fits me. I hang on to it just in case I get invited to a costume party. All I need to add is a string of pearls and I can do my best June Cleaver vacuuming the living room.

I can see that dress in my mind's eye. I love Leave to Beaver but it was pretty irritating to me that June Cleaver always looked so perfect, even if she was digging a hole in the back yard.

old medic 06-05-2021 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2615901)
My "space" was about a 6' long span and contained every piece of clothing I owned except for what's in my dresser (socks, underwear, tee shirts, sweaters)
?

THAT MUCH!!!!! our old closet had 14 foot of hanging rack with top shelve and about 8 foot of 4 tier shelving.....I had about 4 foot of one end of the rack...
Now living in a camper I have about 1 foot for my uniforms to hang... the other 7 is hers.

My oldest thing... probably a pair of calf high leather moccasins I bought in high school.

RAE 06-05-2021 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbee (Post 2616123)
I have a shirt I bought in 1977 when I was in college. Yes, it still fits.

Yeah, I have 5-6 old t-shirts from my mid-70s college days also. Got an old blue insulated vest from that era as well. And they do all still fit. The t-shirts only get worn on rare occasions..........they are collectors items, and I don't want to wear them out!:laugh:

athena53 06-05-2021 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAE (Post 2616297)
Yeah, I have 5-6 old t-shirts from my mid-70s college days also. Got an old blue insulated vest from that era as well.

Forgot about that- I have an insulated vest from a Frostline kit that I made in the late 1970s. I still wear it occasionally.

pacergal 06-05-2021 10:02 AM

We purge our clothes closets on a yearly basis, although I do have my Dads Army jacket (1946) and moms wedding dress (1948) in preserved boxes.

jollystomper 06-05-2021 10:11 AM

I still have a jeans jacket (back them we called them dungaree jackets) from college. It fits, thought it is tight around the upper arms and shoulders.

I also have basketball shorts I used in college as they had the logo of a favorite sports team. I would not wear them in public these days. If one remembers what 70's basketball shorts were like, you get my drift :).

MarieIG 06-05-2021 10:11 AM

Some dresses my mother made in the 1940's and her wedding dress (which I also wore).

No, I'm not purging them.

W2R 06-05-2021 10:42 AM

What are the oldest clothing items in your closet?

Most of my clothes are summer clothes, due to the climate here in New Orleans. They are all pretty new and short sleeved or otherwise skimpy.

But among my winter clothes - - I have a dark forest green, long sleeved men's pocketless t-shirt that I bought in the early 1980's. I really like it for cooler wintry weather; it's comfortable and fits well. But, it's starting to get some little holes in it around the cuffs.

A few years ago I ordered some new ones of the same size and brand (Russell Athletic), but I never wear them because the fit is awful compared with this one. I should probably just throw it out but haven't done so.

harley 06-05-2021 11:14 AM

Man! Y'all are some serious hoarders. I thought I was bad because I still had my memorial t-shirt from 1995 when Jerry Garcia died. I think I still have a couple pairs of shoes from when I was w*rking (early 2000s), but that's it. I use it up and get rid of it. I have class A, B, and C t-shirts. The class Cs are for yardwork, camping trips, etc. They don't last long once they get demoted from B (everyday wear). Class A is a good band t-shirt that I haven't dripped any food on yet.

jcfradio 06-05-2021 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jollystomper (Post 2616370)

I also have basketball shorts I used in college as they had the logo of a favorite sports team. I would not wear them in public these days. If one remembers what 70's basketball shorts were like, you get my drift :).

I also had a pair of those, but DW made me dispose of them after she and my daughters were rolling on the floor with laughter, the last time that I wore them.:fingerwag:

Time2 06-05-2021 04:08 PM

I have sweatshirt from the 88 Rose Bowl.
I had a pair of jeans from the 70s, with patchwork done by a long term girlfriend, she even used some pendleton wool. I mentioned them one too many times and my now wife made them disappeared, I'm still pretty pissed about that. I think I'll go yell at her!
No, they no longer fit.

Amethyst 06-05-2021 04:30 PM

In high school, the term was "battle jackets."

I liked those basketball shorts. Basketball players usually have excellent legs, and I'm a leg woman.

Quote:

I still have a jeans jacket (back them we called them dungaree jackets) from college. .

FlaGator 06-05-2021 06:23 PM

^^^^^^
The Beautiful Princess tells me I have nice legs, but doesnít approve of my shorts with 6Ē or less inseams.

Is she selfish or protecting me from embarrassing fashion errors?

rt-texas 06-05-2021 06:26 PM

My Dad's Pea Coat from his Navy days in the early 50's. Warm as can be and heavy as all get out.

bolt 06-05-2021 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rt-texas (Post 2616598)
My Dad's Pea Coat from his Navy days in the early 50's. Warm as can be and heavy as all get out.

Weights usually a sign of quality in most products like clothing for warmth.
I've a late 60s early 70s usa armed forces leather that still works exceptionally well in sub zero weather.
Actual genuine leather is hard to find these days.

Good luck & Best wishes....

rodi 06-05-2021 07:02 PM

When we remodeled our primary ensuite bathroom we gave up one of two big double door closets to reconfigure in a way that allowed double sinks. At the time we moved some of our clothes to extra room in our sons' bedrooms. It was supposed to be temporary because DH was going to build a small walk in closet in an unused nook of the bedroom. Still waiting on that. We suddenly had 1/2 the primary bedroom closet space - sharing about 8 linear feet of closet.

In the meantime two things happened:
1) both boys complained about parents clothes taking up their closet space... So I reclaimed mine. (DH still has some of his clothes in the boys' rooms. )
2) I read the Art of Tidying Up.... And purged my clothes ruthlessly - while saying thank you for the memories....(if you've read the book, you know of what I speak.)

So now I have about 4 feet of closet - mostly dressier clothes that are rarely worn. My t-shirts, cropped pants/shorts/jeans are in my dresser. (which was also purged). It was hard giving up concert t-shirts from my teens and twenties... but if I hadn't worn them in many years they were eliminated.

Shoes... I think I have to give up my woman-card... I have about 6 pairs of shoes. Plus 3 pairs of slippers. I have black dress pumps, crocs-flip flops, converse sneakers, more supportive walking sneakers, a dressier pair of crocs sandals, and hiking boots. I have big feet so buying pretty shoes was never my thing because they never had my size and I'm a tomboy by nature. I think my husband has more shoes than I do...

Koolau 06-05-2021 07:29 PM

Quote:

I still have a jeans jacket (back them we called them dungaree jackets) from college. It fits, thought it is tight around the upper arms and shoulders.

DW has both hall closets, her half of the bedroom closet and half of mine. Most of my stuff is old and sacred (you know, hole-y).

I still have the old fatigue jacket I bought at the local Army surplus store around 1960 (it's what we played "war" in.) Based on the insignias I'm guessing it dates to Korea. Heh, heh, it doesn't fit around the upper arms and shoulders either. Full, disclosure, it also doesn't fit around the middle.:angel:

MarieIG 06-05-2021 07:37 PM

I don't understand this talk of sharing the bedroom closet. Does. Not. Compute.

W2R 06-05-2021 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarieIG (Post 2616629)

+1 I don't even share my house, much less my bedroom closet! :rofl: He lives next door and has his own closets, and for us this is ideal. ;D Others' Mileage May Vary.

I have three double door closets in my bedroom. One is for my (usual) summer clothes, one for a small number of winter clothes, and one for extra t-shirts, blankets, and anything else.

One of the nicest things about my Dream House is that the prior owners saw nothing wrong with devoting plenty of square footage to closets and cabinets.

MarieIG 06-05-2021 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 2616631)
+1 I don't even share my house, much less my bedroom closet! :rofl: He lives next door and has his own closets, and for us this is ideal. ;D Others' Mileage May Vary.

I have three double door closets in my bedroom. One is for my (usual) summer clothes, one for a small number of winter clothes, and one for extra t-shirts, blankets, and anything else.

One of the nicest things about my Dream House is that the prior owners saw nothing wrong with devoting plenty of square footage to closets and cabinets.

:bow:

aja8888 06-05-2021 08:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow! Lots of old stuff still in some closets!

Wedding dress and Army jacket going back to the 1940's and other old dresses, jackets, sporting wear from high school. And several people purging old clothes. Well, here's my old Yale sweatshirt circa 1972 or so:

Attachment 39166

DW has threatened to throw it out as it's a size too small for me and the sleeve ends have frayed. But it is staying. Maybe I'll be buried in it (LOL).

MarieIG 06-05-2021 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2616640)
Wow! Lots of old stuff still in some closets!

Wedding dress and Army jacket going back to the 1940's and other old dresses, jackets, sporting wear from high school. And several people purging old clothes. Well, here's my old Yale sweatshirt circa 1972 or so:

Attachment 39166

DW has threatened to throw it out as it's a size too small for me and the sleeve ends have frayed. But it is staying. Maybe I'll be buried in it (LOL).

Unfortunately, DH has been unable to find some of his extremely ugly old clothes. Shame bout' that. As I recall, my DF had the same problem . . .

aja8888 06-05-2021 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarieIG (Post 2616643)
Unfortunately, DH has been unable to find some of his extremely ugly old clothes. Shame bout' that. As I recall, my DF had the same problem . . .

My DW went to that school too. But she did not graduate at or near the top of her class. :laugh:

MarieIG 06-05-2021 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2616644)
My DW went to that school too. But she did not graduate at or near the top of her class. :laugh:

My education started very young. I had to have been about six years old, when I saw the fate of DF's T-shirts (which were full of holes BTW). :laugh:

aja8888 06-05-2021 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarieIG (Post 2616647)
My education started very young. I had to have been about six years old, when I saw the fate of DF's T-shirts (which were full of holes BTW). :laugh:

LOL! Slick!:coolsmiley:

ugeauxgirl 06-05-2021 08:51 PM

Quote:

Me either. Once upon a time we shared a closet and DH was constantly harping about how many shoes I have. I am not Imelda Marcos, but I'm not a guy either. Anyway when we designed the latest house, I insisted on separate closets. Now I only occasionally hear something like "Are those shoes new?". Me- "Of course not. Had 'em for years" [emoji1787]

I purge regularly- the oldest thing in my closet is a pair of hiking boots I bought when I was in my 20s, but they were good quality and I still occasionally wear them.

RetireeRobert 06-05-2021 10:46 PM

I still have a couple shirts I bought at the Union Gospel Mission thrift store two decades ago. The only suit in my closet is older than that, can't remember exactly how old it is.

Fortunately, since I dropped 25 pounds after retiring, the suit is nowhere close to being too tight.

DrRoy 06-06-2021 04:41 AM

I still have a couple suits that I had as a late teen (had to let the waist out in the pants an inch). Hardly ever wear them.

pjigar 06-06-2021 06:17 AM

Oldest clothing items I have is a paper silk shirt and a leather jacket I bought in 1997, 24 years. I still use the leather jacket when I play wrench monkey. The shirt is also worn on some special occasions.

1242Vintage 06-06-2021 08:24 AM

I still have my high school letterman jacket from 1980 hanging in the closet. Has all my high school letters and sports sown on. Just canít get rid of that piece of my history.

F.I.R.E User 06-08-2021 03:38 PM

Few from mid 90ís.

RHONDAVE 06-08-2021 03:49 PM

1993 Holy Cow Brewery Vegas Tshirt

Like New Holy Cow Tshirt from Vegas Brewery before they were everywhere. Put it on last week, went to the bar, got scared that I might spill on it, went home and hid it.

brett 06-08-2021 03:59 PM

Cotton bathrobe.

Gift from 38 years ago. Still use it in the warm weather.

Dress broques from 38-39 years ago. Have not worn them since retiring 10 years or so again.

Shearling lined winter boots 42 years old. Still wear them in the snowy weather.

meleana 06-08-2021 04:12 PM

I throw out everything I don't wear after a year. I own very few clothes.

But back to the OP's question: my "WINNER" brand hiking shoes I bought in Sears for $35, 25 years ago. I kid you not! I hiked up Mt. Mansfield in Vermont with them 23 years ago. Still wearing them on my hikes. They are intact, with just a little wear on the inside back ankle area, and the suede is worn looking, but no holes or separations. Solid and I refuse to give them up!

aja8888 06-08-2021 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meleana (Post 2617720)
I throw out everything I don't wear after a year. I own very few clothes.

But back to the OP's question: my "WINNER" brand hiking shoes I bought in Sears for $35, 25 years ago. I kid you not! I hiked up Mt. Mansfield in Vermont with them 23 years ago. Still wearing them on my hikes. They are intact, with just a little wear on the inside back ankle area, and the suede is worn looking, but no holes or separations. Solid and I refuse to give them up!

Nice on the hiking boots...sort of like my old work boots from my days in manufacturing that lasted me decades.

On throwing out clothes you don't wear after a year, that's not been mentioned in this thread if I recall. :coolsmiley:

CardsFan 06-08-2021 04:48 PM

I probably have some tees that are 20 + years old, but I do try to clear out every 3-4 years.

Recently went through things. Oh, these are saved for camping. Well, we normally camp in summertime, I don't think I need 4 pairs of camping jeans. Out they went.

BTW, I still have 2 pair of camping jeans.:facepalm:

Car-Guy 06-08-2021 04:53 PM

Not me, but after my dad passed away a few years ago, I was cleaning out his closets and found his WWII army dress uniform hanging there.... Still in prefect condition... I'm pretty sure that was the oldest item in his closet.... Somewhere between 77 and 80 years old now.

Koolau 06-08-2021 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car-Guy (Post 2617754)
Not me, but after my dad passed away a few years ago, I was cleaning out his closets and found his WWII army dress uniform hanging there.... Still in prefect condition... I'm pretty sure that was the oldest item in his closet.... Somewhere between 77 and 80 years old now.

Probably a way to donate it if any interest. YMMV

Freedom2021 06-09-2021 10:05 AM

Quote:

I wish:)

Mo Money 06-09-2021 10:10 AM

A fraternity sweatshirt that I wore in college (early 80s) and a Burberry trenchcoat bought in the 80s when a local department store shut down (40% off).

By the time i got to the department store, the Burberry coats were sold out -- except for one on the mannequin. I asked the size of the one on the dummy and it was my exact size (40L). Destiny....

Car-Guy 06-09-2021 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolau (Post 2617924)
Probably a way to donate it if any interest. YMMV

I looked into it once a few years ago.... There's still a bazillion of them out there.... Maybe in a few hundred years it will worth something or rare enough it will be wanted. I'll keep it for now....

harllee 06-09-2021 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car-Guy (Post 2618108)
I looked into it once a few years ago.... There's still a bazillion of them out there.... Maybe in a few hundred years it will worth something or rare enough it will be wanted. I'll keep it for now....

Yes, you got to keep that uniform, I would love to have something like that from my father's army days.

JRon 06-09-2021 12:25 PM

I have a leather jacket from about 25 years ago, but will donate it to a thrift shop in the fall. Haven’t worn it for years, but liked it so much years ago that I didn’t get rid of it. Otherwise, as others said, if I haven’t worn it in a year it gets donated.

MichaelB 06-09-2021 12:48 PM

We lost most of our clothes (and all other belonging and personal effects) in a move in '92, so our clothing dates to then. I have lots of ties from back then, but not much else.

In the office we have my DF's Navy hat and buttons, my grandfather's gas mask and infantry helmet from WW1

Retired Expat 06-10-2021 07:46 AM

In the last year or two reduced my clothes closet by 75%. Most were suits, dress shirts and ties from my working days, and oldest perhaps 35 years old. That was half the closet, then another 25% were from my fat period of those last 10 years of work and marriage where I tried to fix my unhappiness with food. Divorce and retirement let me lose 40 pounds and 6-8 inches from my waist.

Now a couple pairs of skinny jeans, mostly various pull overs and one pair of nice trousers for goin out and I am good! Actually need to go do some clothes shopping but I really hate it!

jollystomper 06-10-2021 08:02 AM

Though not as old as my college clothes, when I started traveling for Megacorp in the 1980s I began buying NFL replica jerseys for the cities I traveled to. My major criteria was that they *not* have any players name on them. I have a dozen of them from that time. The oldest is a Bears #34 (Walter Payton) from 1981. The cheapest is a Dolphins #13 (Dan Marino) I found at a clearance sale for $10.

Car-Guy 06-10-2021 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harllee (Post 2618158)
Yes, you got to keep that uniform, I would love to have something like that from my father's army days.

Yes, I will keep it. I have some pictures (somewhere) of the coat and will post one if I can find them... I know he was proud of the coat since it shows his silver star commendation. Although he wouldn't really talk much about it. I do have a few other items from his WWII days including some paper money and coins from his time in Europe. I haven't looked through that stuff in years.

financemups 06-10-2021 10:35 AM

I have my great grandmother's high school graduation dress that is from about 1915 or so. I also have the shirt I wore in my senior high school picture in 1987 and it still fits, but the style is sort of loose and not really form-fitting. Anyway, that was a surprise when I tried it on earlier this year.

karen1972 06-10-2021 11:07 AM

I have 4 items in the closet that are there for sentimental reasons only so yeh they are old. When we moved we paid per pound to move, which gave me huge incentive to purge. Actually a few years ago when I started working the elections I realized I had to have "nice" clothes for 6 days in a row and ended up buying a few items to fill back up the wardrobe that had gotten super sparse. All the work clothes were mostly donated, all the heels were after my back surgery, without heels most of the fancy dresses also were donated and we don't often do the charity dinners anymore so not a huge need any longer.

It was hard to purge, it took probably 6 times thru to finally do it, but now my closet is full of things that all fit, are super comfortable to wear and are actually still in style.

Dog 06-13-2021 01:29 PM

I have my letter sweater from high school (1976). The guys had letter jackets and the gals had letter sweaters. I have a running rain jacket and pants I bought at Jock & Jillís at Green Lake in 1977 (the place to run in Seattle in the 70ís!). They still fit and I keep the jacket in my golf bag for chilly days on the course.
I have a black sequined top from my grandmotherís flapper days. It fits, but I have nowhere to wear it 🤣

Nick12 06-13-2021 02:41 PM

My Grateful Dead tour shirts from the 1980s.

aja8888 06-13-2021 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick12 (Post 2620024)
My Grateful Dead tour shirts from the 1980s.

:coolsmiley:

dingo 06-13-2021 05:40 PM

I have my letter jacket from high school ‘76. Still fits ok, but I didn’t try to button up. ��

bclover 06-13-2021 07:00 PM

I have a black beaded knit evening dress that I actually inherited from my mom. It's now called "vintage". About 1950.

Katsmeow 06-13-2021 09:02 PM

My wedding dress from 29 years ago. We got married in Las Vegas and my dress is a black cocktail dress with colorful sequins. I kept it through the years when, alas, it didn't fit me at all. After losing weight, though, I wore it out for my 25th wedding anniversary. Dress still looks new and style is very simple so looks fine.

becca 06-20-2021 05:43 AM

I have a pair of LL Bean boots that were my son's when he was 12 years old. He is now 36 and I wear these boots in the snow.

Ally 07-03-2021 12:30 AM

I have 3 pairs of shoes from the late 1960ís. I wear narrow shoes and so does my daughter. When she was in college, she wanted to use them and I only recently got them back. Two are dress high heels and one is a pair of Famalores that I still love. They are flat sandals, not the platform type they made.

aja8888 07-03-2021 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ally (Post 2628307)
I have 3 pairs of shoes from the late 1960ís. I wear narrow shoes and so does my daughter. When she was in college, she wanted to use them and I only recently got them back. Two are dress high heels and one is a pair of Famalores that I still love. They are flat sandals, not the platform type they made.

I'm surprised the leather strapping is still good on the Flamalores after all these years.

friar1610 07-03-2021 10:41 AM

I have a t-shirt from when I attended the Defense Language Institute in 1970-71.
The front has the school’s name/seal and the word Русский (the language I studied). The back says “We study Russian so you don’t have to”, a great throwback to the Cold War. I still wear it as a workout shirt and it’s an occasional conversation-starter. I’ve tried to throw it out during periodic closet clean-outs but haven’t been able bring myself to do it.

Ally 07-13-2021 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2628333)
I'm surprised the leather strapping is still good on the Flamalores after all these years.

They look almost new. They are red, so not worn often.

kcowan 07-14-2021 10:50 AM

Three business suits purchased in 95 just before business went full casual.

ERObjd 07-14-2021 10:58 AM

I have an old pair Army Issue leather oxfords with a leather sole that were issued to me at basic trainin way back in 1977. I had them resoled once and they are still good as new. Granted iInever wore them a whole lot ,but they last longer than those cheap plastic Bates oxfords that they issue today's troops. I have a merino wool suit that I bought back in mid 80's of course I no longer fit into it so it will go to DAV thrift next trip.

ERObjd 07-14-2021 10:59 AM

todays T shirts are pretty much done for after 3-4 washings.. so cheaply made now days.

BlueberryPie 07-15-2021 05:26 PM

I think that's them, but it would be a project to check that nothing else is older, but from oldest to "newest":

DW's Great Grand Mother's quilt, we think she slept under it as a toddler, we recently remodeled and I am not done building the display frame for it

DW's Great Grand Mother's prom purse

My Master's Degree graduation cap (I rented the gown)

DW's Wedding dress

EDIT: I haven't FIRED yet, so maybe I'm not allwoed to post in this forum section yet :)

Koolau 07-16-2021 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueberryPie (Post 2634364)
I think that's them, but it would be a project to check that nothing else is older, but from oldest to "newest":

DW's Great Grand Mother's quilt, we think she slept under it as a toddler, we recently remodeled and I am not done building the display frame for it

DW's Great Grand Mother's prom purse

My Master's Degree graduation cap (I rented the gown)

DW's Wedding dress

EDIT: I haven't FIRED yet, so maybe I'm not allwoed to post in this forum section yet :)

You are very welcome here!