Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   What are the oldest clothing items in your closet? (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/what-are-the-oldest-clothing-items-in-your-closet-109509.html)

ugeauxgirl 06-05-2021 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarieIG (Post 2616629)
I don't understand this talk of sharing the bedroom closet. Does. Not. Compute.

Me either. Once upon a time we shared a closet and DH was constantly harping about how many shoes I have. I am not Imelda Marcos, but I'm not a guy either. Anyway when we designed the latest house, I insisted on separate closets. Now I only occasionally hear something like "Are those shoes new?". Me- "Of course not. Had 'em for years" [emoji1787]

I purge regularly- the oldest thing in my closet is a pair of hiking boots I bought when I was in my 20s, but they were good quality and I still occasionally wear them.

RetireeRobert 06-05-2021 10:46 PM

I still have a couple shirts I bought at the Union Gospel Mission thrift store two decades ago. The only suit in my closet is older than that, can't remember exactly how old it is.

Fortunately, since I dropped 25 pounds after retiring, the suit is nowhere close to being too tight.

DrRoy 06-06-2021 04:41 AM

I still have a couple suits that I had as a late teen (had to let the waist out in the pants an inch). Hardly ever wear them.

pjigar 06-06-2021 06:17 AM

Oldest clothing items I have is a paper silk shirt and a leather jacket I bought in 1997, 24 years. I still use the leather jacket when I play wrench monkey. The shirt is also worn on some special occasions.

1242Vintage 06-06-2021 08:24 AM

I still have my high school letterman jacket from 1980 hanging in the closet. Has all my high school letters and sports sown on. Just canít get rid of that piece of my history.

F.I.R.E User 06-08-2021 03:38 PM

Few from mid 90ís.

RHONDAVE 06-08-2021 03:49 PM

1993 Holy Cow Brewery Vegas Tshirt

Like New Holy Cow Tshirt from Vegas Brewery before they were everywhere. Put it on last week, went to the bar, got scared that I might spill on it, went home and hid it.

brett 06-08-2021 03:59 PM

Cotton bathrobe.

Gift from 38 years ago. Still use it in the warm weather.

Dress broques from 38-39 years ago. Have not worn them since retiring 10 years or so again.

Shearling lined winter boots 42 years old. Still wear them in the snowy weather.

meleana 06-08-2021 04:12 PM

I throw out everything I don't wear after a year. I own very few clothes.

But back to the OP's question: my "WINNER" brand hiking shoes I bought in Sears for $35, 25 years ago. I kid you not! I hiked up Mt. Mansfield in Vermont with them 23 years ago. Still wearing them on my hikes. They are intact, with just a little wear on the inside back ankle area, and the suede is worn looking, but no holes or separations. Solid and I refuse to give them up!

aja8888 06-08-2021 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meleana (Post 2617720)
I throw out everything I don't wear after a year. I own very few clothes.

But back to the OP's question: my "WINNER" brand hiking shoes I bought in Sears for $35, 25 years ago. I kid you not! I hiked up Mt. Mansfield in Vermont with them 23 years ago. Still wearing them on my hikes. They are intact, with just a little wear on the inside back ankle area, and the suede is worn looking, but no holes or separations. Solid and I refuse to give them up!

Nice on the hiking boots...sort of like my old work boots from my days in manufacturing that lasted me decades.

On throwing out clothes you don't wear after a year, that's not been mentioned in this thread if I recall. :coolsmiley:

CardsFan 06-08-2021 04:48 PM

I probably have some tees that are 20 + years old, but I do try to clear out every 3-4 years.

Recently went through things. Oh, these are saved for camping. Well, we normally camp in summertime, I don't think I need 4 pairs of camping jeans. Out they went.

BTW, I still have 2 pair of camping jeans.:facepalm:

Car-Guy 06-08-2021 04:53 PM

Not me, but after my dad passed away a few years ago, I was cleaning out his closets and found his WWII army dress uniform hanging there.... Still in prefect condition... I'm pretty sure that was the oldest item in his closet.... Somewhere between 77 and 80 years old now.

Koolau 06-08-2021 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car-Guy (Post 2617754)
Not me, but after my dad passed away a few years ago, I was cleaning out his closets and found his WWII army dress uniform hanging there.... Still in prefect condition... I'm pretty sure that was the oldest item in his closet.... Somewhere between 77 and 80 years old now.

Probably a way to donate it if any interest. YMMV

Freedom2021 06-09-2021 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarieIG (Post 2616629)
I don't understand this talk of sharing the bedroom closet. Does. Not. Compute.

I wish:)

Mo Money 06-09-2021 10:10 AM

A fraternity sweatshirt that I wore in college (early 80s) and a Burberry trenchcoat bought in the 80s when a local department store shut down (40% off).

By the time i got to the department store, the Burberry coats were sold out -- except for one on the mannequin. I asked the size of the one on the dummy and it was my exact size (40L). Destiny....

Car-Guy 06-09-2021 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolau (Post 2617924)
Probably a way to donate it if any interest. YMMV

I looked into it once a few years ago.... There's still a bazillion of them out there.... Maybe in a few hundred years it will worth something or rare enough it will be wanted. I'll keep it for now....

harllee 06-09-2021 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car-Guy (Post 2618108)
I looked into it once a few years ago.... There's still a bazillion of them out there.... Maybe in a few hundred years it will worth something or rare enough it will be wanted. I'll keep it for now....

Yes, you got to keep that uniform, I would love to have something like that from my father's army days.

JRon 06-09-2021 12:25 PM

I have a leather jacket from about 25 years ago, but will donate it to a thrift shop in the fall. Haven’t worn it for years, but liked it so much years ago that I didn’t get rid of it. Otherwise, as others said, if I haven’t worn it in a year it gets donated.

MichaelB 06-09-2021 12:48 PM

We lost most of our clothes (and all other belonging and personal effects) in a move in '92, so our clothing dates to then. I have lots of ties from back then, but not much else.

In the office we have my DF's Navy hat and buttons, my grandfather's gas mask and infantry helmet from WW1

Retired Expat 06-10-2021 07:46 AM

In the last year or two reduced my clothes closet by 75%. Most were suits, dress shirts and ties from my working days, and oldest perhaps 35 years old. That was half the closet, then another 25% were from my fat period of those last 10 years of work and marriage where I tried to fix my unhappiness with food. Divorce and retirement let me lose 40 pounds and 6-8 inches from my waist.

Now a couple pairs of skinny jeans, mostly various pull overs and one pair of nice trousers for goin out and I am good! Actually need to go do some clothes shopping but I really hate it!