Anyone getting a different style Social Security Statement?

Time2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've been trying to get my wife's SS statement, and been unable, I went through all the online rig-amoral and finally told her she would have to call and get it straightened out. If you are ever ask to use ID.me, I suggest you don't. I uploaded a picture of her Passport and then couldn't finish the process, it just locked up.

So the call to SS took all of 13 minutes on the phone including wait time, which wasn't even 5 minutes. It seems at sometime I altered her username and that's why I could not access the account.

Anyway we're in and I printed her Social security statement. It is laid out different, maybe preferable to the way mine prints out. It gives the monthly earnings by age from 62 to 70 including FRA monthly income. And has a section titled "Important things to know about your Benefits" The first line is, "SS is not intended to be your only source of retirement income."
I checked to see if mine would print in the new style but it doesn't.

Anyone else getting a new format on their SS Statement?

Here’s some explanation for the new style of statement. I think it says some MySS users not receiving benefits get the new style since May 1. That should include me but haven’t logged in for awhile. Sounds like the new format is popular.

https://www.fa-mag.com/news/social-security-statement-gets-new-look-62229.html

Thanks for this info. I just checked; I still get the old 4-page version of the statement, so I'm not part of the "soft" rollout. I'll be interested to see what my statement looks like when it rolls out to everyone.

Same here. I suspect they figure folks with no W-2 income for several years, past 62 and approaching FRA are less in need of the info?

Probably not the criteria. Wife and I are both over 62 approaching FRA and hers is the new style, mine is the old. I am about 4 years older though.

Same here. I suspect they figure folks with no W-2 income for several years, past 62 and approaching FRA are less in need of the info?

Probably not the criteria. Wife and I are both over 62 approaching FRA and hers is the new style, mine is the old. I am about 4 years older though.

According to the article linked in post #3, the new-style report has only been rolled out to "a selected group" of folks so far, to test it, gauge response, and gather feedback.

The plan appears to be to do a full roll-out to everyone at a date TBD.

The info would have to be the same, so how much different can it be? The best thing they did was institute the sliding scale “how much if I retire at this age in years & months. Very transparent.

Thanks for this info. I just checked; I still get the old 4-page version of the statement, so I'm not part of the "soft" rollout. I'll be interested to see what my statement looks like when it rolls out to everyone.

Well, as of this morning my online account is displayed in the new format. This happened some time between 9/1/21 and today, because I check my account on the 1st of every month.

I really like the feature where I can drag the cursor along the graph and see the estimates for my benefits for any month up to age 70. Very helpful!

I really like the feature where I can drag the cursor along the graph and see the estimates for my benefits for any month up to age 70. Very helpful!

I don’t think the feature actually works for any month. I believe the calculation is based on age in years and months but the benefit calculated by dragging the cursor only changes every 3-4 months. Kinda weird.

OP here,
I just downloaded my latest form and it now comes laid out in the new format. When I started the thread my wife's was the new style ad mine was the old style.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity I downloaded my current SS statement and the format is different, condensed from 4 to 2 pages, all the same most important info for the most part. The changes I note:
  • Benefit for ages 67, 68, 69 & 70 (I haven't filed yet), old one was 62 (or then current age), FRA and 70
  • Earnings by decade, 2000, 2010, etc. and not each year like before, though you can see that detail online
  • Almost all the boilerplate has been eliminated (How Your Benefits Are Estimated, Help Us Keep Your Earnings Record Accurate, Some Facts About Soc Sec) - but that's all readily available at SS.gov anyway.
I didn't spend any time looking at the online tools, I just downloaded a statement and logged off. New statement is fine IMO.

OP here,
I just downloaded my latest form and it now comes laid out in the new format. When I started the thread my wife's was the new style ad mine was the old style.

I just went online yesterday to sign up for SS, and the new forms and tools are now there. I suspect the original trial phase worked well, and now they are fully rolling out.

I don’t think the feature actually works for any month. I believe the calculation is based on age in years and months but the benefit calculated by dragging the cursor only changes every 3-4 months. Kinda weird.

Upon closer examination, you are correct. :)

Back
Top Bottom