Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Retiring to a College Town (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/retiring-to-a-college-town-109745.html)

Out-to-Lunch 06-24-2021 09:59 AM

Regarding Austin: Yeah, it is hard to know how to categorize some cities that are both the capital AND host a large college. And some of these are large or largish cities, to boot:

(And I am sure I missed a few...)
Talahassee, FL
Austin, TX
Raleigh, NC
Madison, WI
St. Paul, MN
Columbus, OH
Phoenix, AZ
Baton Rouge, LA
Richmond, VA
Lincoln, NE
Columbia, SC
Boston, MA

Oh, @Time2's post below reminded me!:
Lansing, MI

audreyh1 06-24-2021 11:35 AM

Austin was way smaller in the 70s. And even though there was some high tech industry, it didn't really explode until the 90s, and then just kept on exploding.

harllee 06-24-2021 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 2624413)
Austin was way smaller in the 70s. And even though there was some high tech industry, it didn't really explode until the 90s, and then just kept on exploding.

I hope that does not happen to my town of Chapel Hill. Right now it is a small town with a large university, However, it is near Research Triangle Park and it was just announced that Apple is going to build a large office at RTP and employ thousands of people.

Starsky 06-24-2021 12:50 PM

Grew up in a smaller College town. Loved it, and a lot of people from there, have decided to stay there in retirement and are extremely happy. If you're looking for a nice area in the heart of Southern California i would take a look at Claremont. It's a sleeper.

RunningBum 06-24-2021 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy (Post 2624322)
With real estate skyrocketing in general it's hard to say. In my area Virginia Tech is rapidly expanding and there's an exceptional demand for housing in Blacksburg, not just for students but for all the other people who support the university as well as the local economy. I read that single-family housing is especially in short supply.

I'm following this area closely, since my son is looking to buy in Blacksburg or Christiansburg. He got outbid on his first offer last weekend. He's not in a hurry, yet. His realtor thinks things will get less competitive at the end of summer since families want to get moved in before school starts. But that would also imply less supply. We'll see.

Time2 06-24-2021 02:24 PM

I left E. Lansing Michigan 27 years ago+ and definitely miss the campus activity of MSU and the college community.
That was 27 years ago, it has probably changed a lot.

Montecfo 06-24-2021 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Time2 (Post 2624490)
I left E. Lansing Michigan 27 years ago+ and definitely miss the campus activity of MSU and the college community.
That was 27 years ago, it has probably changed a lot.

No doubt. But anywhere I go back to that in loved there is some sense of loss at places that are gone or have changed.

My college campus swimming pool-gone

Fave college restaurants-gone

First house-torn down and replaced.

Bigger more traffic less charm.

But I still enjoy those places.

Calico 06-24-2021 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick12 (Post 2624287)
Most of Durham? Don't agree. Durham which is just a few miles from Chapel Hill still has high crime rates especially Lakewood which is adjacent to some of the expensive areas of Durham. Main street has continued to be cleaned up which is a good thing but Durham has a long way to go. When my relative went for his Duke MBA ( Fuqua ) we never ventured to Chapel Hill since like you said Duke and UNC are bitter rivals. That is so true.

I have lived in Durham for 22 years and have never experienced even the slightest brush with crime. I have numerous friends who can say the same thing, and we live in different parts of Durham.

As with any other location on earth, it depends on where you are. Is Lakewood sketchy? Yes. Are there other sketchy areas? Yes. Just like any other city on planet earth.

You are painting all of Durham with a very broad (and inaccurate) brush.

rodi 06-24-2021 07:02 PM

I lived in Bellingham, WA in my early 30's. Western Washington University was a huge influence on quality of life. My father was nearing retirement and wanted to retire there but my mom wouldn't move out of San Diego. There are a lot of advantages to living in a college town.

I'm currently fairly close to a large university (UCSD) and many of my neighbors are faculty or administration. My neighborhood's name acknowledges the closeness to the university and the street names are all nobel prize winners (though some are mispelled. lol).

One advantage to being surrounded by academics... They tend to be well educated and smart. I remember attending a baby shower with other neighborhood moms about 15 years ago... of the 10 women, 8 had doctorates. (and I was one of the 2 that only had masters level education.)

daylatedollarshort 06-24-2021 09:59 PM

Colleges also often have sports and outdoor programs open to the public. We've taken canoe and sailing lessons through local colleges and gone on rafting, canoeing and ski trips, which were all pretty modestly priced.

Nick12 06-25-2021 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calico (Post 2624611)
I have lived in Durham for 22 years and have never experienced even the slightest brush with crime. I have numerous friends who can say the same thing, and we live in different parts of Durham.

As with any other location on earth, it depends on where you are. Is Lakewood sketchy? Yes. Are there other sketchy areas? Yes. Just like any other city on planet earth.

I am not painting a picture. I had family and friends live in Durham and some went to Duke.

harllee 06-25-2021 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calico (Post 2624611)

Totally agree. While I am a UNC sports fan, I go to Durham frequently for restaurants, culture etc. I never feel unsafe. Durham is a cool happening town.
The Durham Performing Arts Center and the Durham Bulls Stadium are top notch.

NYEXPAT 06-25-2021 08:17 AM

We love it here! Good job opportunities for the YW, great schools for the Kid's, LCOL. Good Universities, Healthcare galore and a not half bad Peruvian restaurant.

Scubamax 06-28-2021 01:29 PM

We elected a college town for all of the reasons listed. Arts, Entertainment, Culture, Good Medical Care, Restaurants and other retail, and a youthful vibe. We actually live about 30 minutes from town on a bit of land so its the best of both worlds. Just need to get used to driving to get anywhere. Somedays I miss not having things within walking distance. But then again I probably save some money being further away from spontaneous temptations.

FreeBear 06-30-2021 01:55 PM

What about a college city like Tucson?? We’ve got U of A, complete with their med school and hospital. Great food scene. Campus is urban, but certainly not New York, San Francisco, or Chicago. Good or bad depending on your tastes.

Yes, it’s hot, but at least it’s not Phoenix!

NoEZmoney 07-02-2021 03:37 PM

University-based Retirement Communities?

We've put university-based retirement communities on our radar as a possibility. Many schools are having on-campus enrollment shortages and are doing what they can to attract occupancy and use of their facilities.

Stephen F. Austin State University in East Texas had launched a program but it folded because of third-party management not being up to par (from what I was told). But there are quite a few other options as indicated in this link:

https://www.theseniorlist.com/retire...st/university/

Nick12 07-02-2021 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBear (Post 2627282)
What about a college city like Tucson?? We’ve got U of A, complete with their med school and hospital. Great food scene. Campus is urban, but certainly not New York, San Francisco, or Chicago. Good or bad depending on your tastes.

Yes, it’s hot, but at least it’s not Phoenix!

There is no better hot dog than a Sonoran hot dog in AZ!

braumeister 07-02-2021 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoEZmoney (Post 2628134)
We've put university-based retirement communities on our radar as a possibility. Many schools are having on-campus enrollment shortages and are doing what they can to attract occupancy and use of their facilities.

Uh oh. Gives new meaning to the term "senior dorm".

Radlink54 07-02-2021 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch (Post 2624377)
Regarding Austin: Yeah, it is hard to know how to categorize some cities that are both the capital AND host a large college. And some of these are large or largish cities, to boot:

(And I am sure I missed a few...)
Talahassee, FL
Austin, TX
Raleigh, NC
Madison, WI
St. Paul, MN
Columbus, OH
Phoenix, AZ
Baton Rouge, LA
Richmond, VA
Lincoln, NE
Columbia, SC
Boston, MA

Oh, @Time2's post below reminded me!:
Lansing, MI

Nashville: Vanderbilt/Belmont/Lipscomb/TnState etc. Sadly like Austin no longer small or quaint. Great if you like big, now diverse and prosperous.

I think of college towns like Chapel Hill, Athens GA, Bloomington IN etc as a whole different world than most of the “capital with colleges” listed above. Most of these are not “college towns” .

Montclairbobbyb 07-02-2021 03:49 PM

It's all fun and games until you end up in the middle of a riot. I love Keene, NH, and have considered living there, but things got a bit insane one Halloween (a few years ago), when masses of college students clashed with local police after too much pumpkin carving and drinking, erupting into a full-blown riot, making national headlines...leaving me wondering what was I thinking? I love college students... I was one myself, and recently my kids graduated from well-known "party" universities... but I'd rather watch Animal House and laugh than see it happening on the streets of my town.

Actually I'm not such an old fud... I'm just an intolerant one...