• Northeast -No

Votes: 12 7.6%
  • Southeast -Yes

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Southeast -No

Votes: 10 6.4%

• Total voters

sengsational

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Where did you live as a kid? And did you, at the time, know of the "butter preference test" whereby the examiner would hold a dandelion or buttercup under the chin of the subject to make the butter preference determination.

Definition: Kid: <11 years of age.

Null hypothesis: Uniformly distributed, as are dandelions.

I split the blue into north and south. Draw the line somewhere above Texas and below Minnesota. And I like this map, BTW, because it makes Minnesota look bigger than Texas, hehehehe!

Attachments

• Snipping_2022-04-05-19-34-30.jpg
    Snipping_2022-04-05-19-34-30.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
We did it in the UK with a buttercup.

I was raised in the Midwest and remember the "buttercup test". Mom bought margarine but called it "butter". I can take it or leave it- when I'm served good bread I see no need to butter it and I hate it when I buy a pre-made sandwich and find that the bread has butter (more likely margarine) on it.

I do keep it around for baking and for BF to put on his toast when he's here.

Northeast and never heard of it.

We did that "test" in Michigan as kids all the time. I had no idea what it was about, but 2 kids gave me the test back when I was less than 10 years old.

I do like butter, but have no idea what the "test" was about. Maybe to stick yellow pollen on chin?

Sorry to leave out the rest of the world...interesting to know it was likely an import (or an export?)

Northeast, Buttercup. Never heard of doing it with Dandelions.

Never heard of such a thing. What is the purpose? And how can you possibly tell if someone likes butter by holding a flower under their chin?

Never heard of such a thing. What is the purpose? And how can you possibly tell if someone likes butter by holding a flower under their chin?

As I recall, if you liked butter you would see a reflection of the yellow from the buttercup on the skin under your chin, meaning that you liked butter. The absence of the reflection meant you didn’t. Just a silly kids’ thing.

As I recall, if you liked butter you would see a reflection of the yellow from the buttercup on the skin under your chin, meaning that you liked butter. The absence of the reflection meant you didn’t. Just a silly kids’ thing.
Thanks. I've learned something new today. And, for the record, by the time I was 11, I had lived in every one of those regions except the green one.

Kid's thing for sure. Not a problem though. No pain was ever felt.

Unlike some other kid games - :)

Never herd of the test, but I love butter. Warm bread a butter - yum. Pastries and biscuits where they fold in butter for flakiness - even better. Unfortunately, I’m not supposed to eat it. Oh well, everything in moderation.

Pacific Northwest, we did it with dandelions probably because they were much more common than buttercups.

Midwest and never heard of it until 2 minutes ago. For the record I like butter if it's warm/melted.

Never heard of it. I thought this poll was going to be KerryGold vs Domestic and salted vs unsalted.

I wonder if it is an age thing? Maybe a thing in the 50s-60s, but not 60s-70s?

+1

This was how we did it in Ontario. One's preference was highly dependent on whether the sun was out that day.

Ok - I was born and raised in San Diego and I know this 'test'.... but I know it from a visit to my grandparents, who were living in suburban Detroit. We were having a picnic in the park across from their place, I was 5, and we did the 'test'.

So, perhaps, I should have answered Midwest... but I answered Pacific. I did the test on my kids... raised in San Diego... so I've helped transfer this test to the west.

Back
Top Bottom