Replicate VTSAX in my 401K

upupandaway

Recycles dryer sheets
My JP Morgan 401k does not have an S&P 500 or a VTSAX equivalent option. I was previously in the target retirement account but I don't like the AA of those accounts given I still have a long glide path until retirement and I have a fairly high tolerance for risk. I would like to mimic VTSAX with the funds I have available to me. My current AA in this account is way off but I will post it here for a good laugh.
attachment.php

While looking at how to replicate VTSAX I came across an article that provided this morningstar breakdown of the fund.
fundanalysis.png

Here are my specific questions
1. Do I simply adjust my AA into funds available to me that will closely replicate the breakdown above?
2. Do I worry about the expense ratios of the limited choices I have to pick from?
3. Anything else that I may be missing?

Thanks everyone. I can post the funds I have to choose from if anyone wants to see that.

Attachments

• AA.png
    AA.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
List your available funds and the expense ratios for each. There is usually a way to get close enough.

If you have no low/lower expense ratios, you may have to use a higher expense ratio fund. I'd rather save pre-tax and get match dollars.

Here are my available funds. The top two are small cap. I will take a stab at putting it together and see what you all think.

Attachments

• avail funds.jpg
    avail funds.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Alright so here was my attempt. I did not realize that J P Morgan Equity Index R6 simply tried to track the S&P. Would I be losing out on too much diversification if I used that fund for all 3 of the Large Cap categories?

Attachments

• AA by me.png
    AA by me.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 17
Alright so here was my attempt. I did not realize that J P Morgan Equity Index R6 simply tried to track the S&P. Would I be losing out on too much diversification if I used that fund for all 3 of the Large Cap categories?
Nope.

You might also consider using just the three "blend" funds, say with a 75/15/10 ratio.

I would keep it simple and invest only in OGFAX. I’d also rollover this 401k to an IRA when you leave this job.

I would keep it simple and invest only in OGFAX. I’d also rollover this 401k to an IRA when you leave this job.

+1 over the last 5 years the two track closely... close enough anyway.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 12

CSYPX small blend (10-15%), OGFAX large blend (85-90%).

This. S&P is 80% of the market cap and the other 20% is highly correlated. Expense ratio is low. Done.

My active 401k is 100% S&P 500 index. Low expense ratio.

Our bond allocation is in our Rollover Trad IRAs. All the new money piles into equities.

I only rebalance into bonds/fixed income.

@upupandaway, ref your complex table with many funds, some as little as 3%: Investing is not like scientific formulations. There is ample evidence that simple, total market, portfolios are all you need to beat over 90% of professional stock pickers over the long term (5-10 years). There's no benefit from overthinking this.

This is also what I would do.

My active 401k is 100% S&P 500 index. Low expense ratio.

Our bond allocation is in our Rollover Trad IRAs. All the new money piles into equities.

I only rebalance into bonds/fixed income.

Looking closely at my own portfolio to simplify and look at my AA and wondering if there's a specific reason you keep the 401k in equities only and the Rollover IRA in bonds.

I want to thank everyone for their time and advice. I learned many things from this exercise. I love the simplicity of just OGFAX so that is the route I will be going. Thanks again to everyone.

Back
Top Bottom