Share your luck

savory

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Here is my luck to start the NY. What is your luck? Can we build a happy thread.

I was lucky to have been able to defer some of my salary for future distribution. My goal was to pace it out until RMDs. At first, I was able to change the distribution timing every year. But, 13 years ago, the company (perhaps the government) changed the policy to no more changes in distribution timing. So, I had to setup the plan.

Well I messed up with my calculations. So I was going to have 2 year IRA overlap driving higher IRMMA, taxes, etc. Then the age of RMDs was moved up. So, 1 year overlap. And now in the new law RMD was moved again. So, I will now be able to meet my original goal of exhausting my bonus when RMDs start. Here is my dance :dance:

Share your news if you like.

Even though I was down 12%+ last year, I only needed a 1.9% WR for this year. Plenty of travel will be covered in that.

I was blessed with:

- good parents;
- a wonderful DH;
- my children;
- my grandchildren;
- my DIL;
- my granddaughter's surgeon and the Pediatric ICU (Mayo Clinic);
- the ability to practice my religion;
- the ability to work hard when I did and to help support my family;
- my friends;
- reprieves from cancer diagnoses;
- one more day.

I'm lucky that I woke up alive today.

When the doctor asked my 90 year old uncle how he felt when he woke up, he answered "surprised".

Happy New Year.

I'm lucky that I woke up alive today.

When the doctor asked my 90 year old uncle how he felt when he woke up, he answered "surprised".

Happy New Year.

Too funny. I'd have liked your uncle.

my wife and i married young...very young. i was 19, she was 18. we were both certain we wanted to be together. as time went by we realized that we never discussed a lot of things, including children. i had no desire to be a father and just ass-umed that she felt the same. turns out she did. i call that "lucky". we'll celebrate 53-years married in March, 55-yrs together if you count high school.

I woke up next to my warm, cuddly BF (we've cheerfully agreed neither of us wants to remarry or cohabitate, just date) and realized his Little Blue Pill had taken effect. I'm almost 70, he's 71. What a way to start the New Year.:D

Lots of lucky things throughout my life but none so great (not even close) as my draft lottery number in the early 70's... I often think about how my life could have been significantly different if not for the luck of the draw or of the bouncing ball. (Literally)

The lottery was televised live and I remember it (and my number) like it was yesterday. But it was 50+ years ago.

I woke up next to my warm, cuddly BF (we've cheerfully agreed neither of us wants to remarry or cohabitate, just date) and realized his Little Blue Pill had taken effect. I'm almost 70, he's 71. What a way to start the New Year.:D

Well, I s'pose this thread *is* about "getting lucky"! :D

My luck consists of fortunately missing some events by a week or so. To wit:
Lightning striking the York Minster
Flying on TWA flight 800
Yemen before the USS Cole bombing
Nairobi Embassy bombing
Shooting at temple of Queen Hatsheput
Northridge Earthquake
Cairo bus shooting
Alta hotel gas explosion

In our many years of planning to retire early, we never gave a thought to health.

Our luck in that area is two fold. First, the gods of the market agreed with our financial planning. Second, and more importantly, we are still able in our early 60s to do the challenging hikes in Patagonia, and elsewhere. Feels a little weird to be amongst all the youngsters as we summit, but not so weird as to avoid it!

my wife and i married young...very young. i was 19, she was 18. we'll celebrate 53-years married in March,

We too were young... She became married, became a mother and turned 18 all in the course of 2 months, I was 22. This month its 38 years we have shared.

I am lucky to have friends in my life that I consider family -- I like them and their spouses and children better than a lot of my birth family. And that's not just an expression, one was named an alternate guardian for our kid in our estate plan.

Lucky in that both DH and I were hired about 5 years before big changes happened in our pensions that allowed us a larger payout at retirement than others after us and lucky that our jobs continued to be covered by that pension for over 30 years while working!

Last spring DM (89) got a breast cancer diagnosis (not lucky for her, but we’ll get to the lucky part). A day later while thinking about DM I realized that I was 2 months late for my annual mammogram, so I quickly got an appointment for the same day. Well, unfortunately, it turned out that I too had a tumor in my breast.

The 1st lucky part was the timing of my scan. If DM had not had her diagnosis, I wouldn’t have gotten my test when I did, allowing the cancer (it’s still hard to write that word) to grow and spread until I finally had my scan. Or if I had my mammogram on time, the oncologist thought the tumor would have been too small to detect, so potentially another year until detected.

My luck continued in that my tumor was small and the cancer was not in yet in my lymph nodes. My treatment was easy, just out-patient surgery and a relatively short course of radiation. No chemotherapy! So thankful for no chemo. After seeing all the other cancer patients during my radiation treatments, I felt like I won the cancer lottery.

I’m fully recovered from the treatments with very low odds of recurrence. DM is fully recovered from her surgery and also doing very well. At her age she opted out of any other treatments. She said that quality of life was more important than trying to prolong her life.

Way to many lucky breaks to list them all. Born to a good family. Married a wonderful woman. Earned a good career.
Retired in 2013 and made it 9 years of spending before I ever had to dip into Fixed Income. Lean retire has grown to a Comfy retire.
Most recently, Last year I took most of my expenses out at the top on Jan. 3.

Blessings:

Born in the USA (I could stop there)
Lower middle class parents who wanted their kids to be upper middle class (financially speaking)
Known (well known) State University - affordable and without any "fluff" credits at the time
Megacorp was hiring and was still a great place to w*rk (until later)
Decent salary
Great DW (with similar values - so similar we're boring - and I think boring is good.)
Good kids - doing well and all independent

I could go on (and on) but I already mentioned that I'm boring so YMMV.

I never take for granted that in was born in the USA to parents who loved each other and valued hard work and education. Despite being a child of the 1950s, they were equally serious about my sister and me getting a college education and having career plans.

And they paid for our college. Priceless.

I'm worked to pass all that on to DS (and I think I've succeeded) but remind myself that many people who are less successful by one measure or another did not start on third base as I did.

As soon as I have some luck i'll post about it....

Like Koolau I could go on and on.
  • Born in the USA.
  • Parents upper middle class, SAHM, both frugal. Very LBYM, so it’s always been normal to me.
  • Dad was pre med when Pearl Harbor happened, he and everyone his age enlisted immediately, but the Army told him to stay in school and join after.
  • He was an ortho surgeon, but he wanted to see the world so he stayed in the Army (though he could have made way more $ in private practice). So I grew up in four US states, Okinawa and Germany - invaluable to me.
  • Dad introduced me to sailing, golf, saving & investing, being resourceful/frugal, honesty and other virtues. I still DIY every thing possible (amazes DW to this day what I can fix :D)
  • Parents insisted I work through college, but they paid everything from there (most of it). Parents let me choose whatever career and college I wanted.
  • When I graduated I had 50+ interviews, second interviews with over half. I chose 4 of greatest interest, got offers from 3 of them.
  • Been married 43 years, DW is a saint.
  • Parents lived to 93 & 96.
  • Never been hospitalized in my life. We’re both healthy still, just old.
Sorry for the long list, but it’s the short list to me.

In the Army I flipped a M151 jeep on a real bumpy potholed dirt road late at night, driving with blackout lights during FTX. Landed upside down. I managed to lay across and hug the passanger seat as it rolled over. Only damage to me was scratch on spitshined jump boots, bit of dirt on uniform.

Those things had the swing axle rear's like the Corvairs Ralph Nader bitched about. Any sharp turn or angled exit out of deep pothole it tended to tip or roll.

Walked about a mile to where a I knew an artillery unit was. Woke up and asked the CO for a tank retriever to turn it right side up. He gave me a ride back to the jeep and waited for tracked machine. Wanted to know where the driver was, I said it was me. His jaw fell open.

Anywhooo, the retriever picked up the jeep, put it back down on the wheels. I then drove it away crushed windshield, bent steering wheel and all. Front wheels were a bit out of alignement.:D

Last edited:
Survived my logging career, no telling how many times I almost bought it. I came down a 6 mile mountain in a loaded log truck with no brakes. I was skidding logs behind a cutter that thought it was funny to see how close he could get the tops of the trees to where I was. The last truck I unchained the 50# truck stake fell on my head, I worked three days before coming out of the fog.

Ahh Luck.

Was run over by a pontoon boat in my younger years while swimming with a life jacket on. Friends thought it would be funny to do a close drive by, but the boat wouidn't turn quick enough. I jumped as it came at me to try and grab the front deck, it was going too fast and ripped my hand away, I saw a rope hanging between the two pontoons so had a second shot, grabbed the rope but it was mossy and wet and I slipped off of it... third ditch effort I snagged a pontoon and somehow pushed myself under the pontoon WITH my life jacket on as the outboard prop spun by me.

Was laying in a cargo net about 25 feet up when I was a kid, with some friends on the net. A bigger friend climbed down the ladder a bit and was gonna monkey bar across the bottom of the net...but it ripped out of its anchors and we all went flying down. I was closest to where it ripped out and fell backwards, head and neck first. at the last second before I was off the net I managed to grab hold of one of the netting webs, it flipped me around and I then started falling feet first.

Had my neck knelt on by a police officer's knee when I was about 17 yrs old. Despite my plea's for help another cop hopped on my legs to stop me from moving. Somehow I gasped through the ordeal, WHILE HANCUFFED, only to be choke-holded and marched down to a river bank where my life was threatened as the police sergeant mock executed me by pushing me towards the river, then pulling me back. He punched me in the face a few times, put me in the squad car, drove me around the city for about 30 minutes then took me to jail under false trespassing claims. This was before camera's were everywhere in society and without video footage, or any broken bones the lawyers told me I didn't have a case. "NOBODY" was winning cases against the precinct...not even wrongful deaths at the time.

Was driving 3 of my friends to check out a college when I was 17 and the sun was setting on the horizon. I came over a hill to meet a MASSIVE moose just standing dead still on the highway as I was driving about 70mph. I swerved, the car over responded, I hit the dirt median and ended up doing a 180 turn around the moose. Now the predicament, I was doing about 55mph going backwards on the freeway. I hit the brakes and swerved again to whip the car around another 180 degrees, somehow found third gear in my Chevy Beretta just in time for the tires to hook up and voila, we were back on our way, alive and well. I remember seeing the insane white smoke cloud that surrounded that moose standing in the freeway and I thought...someone is going to hit that thing dead on...but it wasn't me.

Went airborne in a Z28 Camaro after a friend was driving it waay too fast on a road that took a sudden 90 degree turn. He downshifted as quickly as possible, threw the car inot the right drainage ditch...we hit the road that the turn went into and went flying through the air. We flew through a few oak branches and landed on a fence in the homeowners yard across the road. The strange thing was, the homeowner and the driver of the car new eachother. Missed the tree trunk by about 3 feet. The cops and ambulance came to check us out and they said, kids 3 feet to the left and you would have been dead. Had he not hit that drainage ditch we would have smacked right into the tree trunk. I plucked all the branches and leaves out of my hair and moved on in my life.

Blessed with 3 kids and a supportive wife. Still have both my folks, and one of my grandparents. Grandpa lived to be 89, Grandma is 92.

Wife and baby #2 had a hairy birthing experience, lost lots of blood, but both pulled through. They made me sign some forms stating I understood they would do anything in there medical powers to save both our baby and my wife. Had to sign some blood transfusion forms and they were headed to emergency C section before a miracle happened and the baby finally decided to come out. She didn't look like she was alive, and one of the 3 Dr. in the room told me it was going to be okay, so I trusted them. Everything turned out fine in the long run and I love my daughter more than life itself.

I'm sure I'm missing some other lucky moments in my life, but honestly I am just blessed to wake up each morning and watch the sunrise and set. Sometimes I feel like a cat with 9 lives. Life is good!

Back
Top Bottom