Low Price US Broad Market ETFs

Tranquility Base

Recycles dryer sheets
Can anyone suggest some decent low price US broad market ETFs I could use as an alternative to the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund (VTI)? VTI is my "go to" ETF in most cases. But when I have a small amount of money to invest and VTI is priced around $200 or so, it is harder to get every last dollar invested. I am trying to have to transfer and park money in a money market fund until I have enough to buy VTI again. When I search for low priced ETFs, the results are always ETFs with low expense ratios, not necessarily EFTs with a low price per share. The only lower priced similar ETF I have located so far is the Schwab U.S. Broad Market ETF (SCHB) (which is fine since I have an account at Schwab).

You could invest in the mutual fund version of VTI, VTSAX.

The only lower priced similar ETF I have located so far is the Schwab U.S. Broad Market ETF (SCHB) (which is fine since I have an account at Schwab).

So, why not SCHB then? It's currently trading at around $48, which is about as low as you could expect for a broad market, index ETF.

So, why not SCHB then? It's currently trading at around $48, which is about as low as you could expect for a broad market, index ETF.

Good to know! I don't have any objections to SCHB and already own some of it. I was wondering if there were other alternatives. But if SCHB is priced about as low as these type of ETFs go, then SCHB would make the most sense.

I know. But frankly I am still trying to understand mutual funds. ETFs just make more sense to me, or at least they are easier to understand. I know what I am paying when I buy or sell and you don't get the surprise year-end capital gains distributions. That's a topic probably best for another thread. My point is I just tend to lean away from mutual funds if there is an ETF alternative.

Fidelity FZROX is trading at $14.45 today. No fee total market fund.

I know. But frankly I am still trying to understand mutual funds. ETFs just make more sense to me, or at least they are easier to understand. I know what I am paying when I buy or sell and you don't get the surprise year-end capital gains distributions. That's a topic probably best for another thread. My point is I just tend to lean away from mutual funds if there is an ETF alternative.

VTI and VTSAX are the same in terms of distributions. You won’t get cap gains distributions from VTSAX that aren’t also paid on VTI. The only difference is a single market close price on VTSAX versus the market day range of VTI.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom