Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Forum Admin (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f32/)
-   -   The Retire Early Home Page (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f32/the-retire-early-home-page-13870.html)

tommie 11-11-2005 01:17 PM

Re: The Retire Early Home Page
 
I am a 41 year old female and wondering if I should retire early. I don't a thing about early retirement, how to do it, or what if any consequences there are. I would just like some info. I also don't know how to find out how much i would get monthly if I do.

retire@40 11-11-2005 02:12 PM

Re: The Retire Early Home Page
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tommie
I am a 41 year old female and wondering if I should retire early.* I don't a thing about early retirement, how to do it, or what if any consequences there are.* I would just like some info.* I also don't know how to find out how much i would get monthly if I do.

Well, young lady, you've come to the right place.

In this forum you will find all the answers you need.

Just get yourself some popcorn, have a seat, and enjoy the ride here.

dusk_to_dawn 12-13-2005 02:31 PM

Re: The Retire Early Home Page
 
It's funny how some people think of how long they have to go....8 years or 5 years, etc. For many years I have thought of it this way....when I was 38 I thought, 'I can retire today....if I want to live in a trailer in the country'. Today I think, 'I can retire today.....if I want to sell my house and live well in Mexico'. I keep working and saving because I know that DW won't live in a trailer or in Mexico, but mentally, I know we can if we want to. I guess everyone has to decide on their big day. Personally I will keep working until my kid is in college and I am fully vested in my pension....9 more years, but there is that part of my brain that says....I can retire today.....if

SteveR 12-13-2005 03:31 PM

Re: The Retire Early Home Page
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dusk_to_dawn
It's funny how some people think of how long they have to go....8 years or 5 years, etc.* For many years I have thought of it this way....when I was 38 I thought, 'I can retire today....if I want to live in a trailer in the country'.* Today I think, 'I can retire today.....if I want to sell my house and live well in Mexico'.* I keep working and saving because I know that DW won't live in a trailer or in Mexico, but mentally, I know we can if we want to.* I guess everyone has to decide on their big day.* Personally I will keep working until my kid is in college and I am fully vested in my pension....9 more years, but there is that part of my brain that says....I can retire today.....if

Welcome to the board.

Yes, we can all retire if........
Each of us has our own "if" list we use to balance resources accumulation vs future income needs. For some that means working in the salt mines another 1,5, or 10 years to get the Brass Ring of pension, fully vested 401K, stock options or what have you. For others, it means getting out from under the thumb of management and being free. The cost for do so is an individual matter and depends on your wants and needs.

She you could live in a travel trailer in Mexico eating beans and rice but if that does not make you happy tben what will?
Your What will tell you how much you need to have in the vault to fund your needs. When the level in the vault equals your needs (plus a little slop for just in case) you are there.

Glad to have you here and I am looking forward to your thoughts and comments.

BigMoneyJim 12-20-2005 02:59 PM

Re: The Retire Early Home Page
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dusk_to_dawn
It's funny how some people think of how long they have to go....8 years or 5 years, etc. For many years I have thought of it this way....when I was 38 I thought, 'I can retire today....if I want to live in a trailer in the country'. Today I think, 'I can retire today.....if I want to sell my house and live well in Mexico'.

I think the year counts are odd, too. I've thrown out 10, 15 and 20 years as figures but try to qualify them as extremely rough guestimates. (Before I did projections I guessed 10-15 years; after projections I figure 20 if things go reasonably well.) Since I've been free of debt and watching the money pile grow I can begin to entertain options other than my previously envisioned "traditional" ER. Only quite recently while reading Terhorst's book have I begun regularly entertaining the idea of semi-retiring now/soon. So now I can look at it your way and say "I can quit now if I work odd jobs here and there and live very frugally." I like your way of looking at it; it will be a good periodic mental exercise instead of wating 10-20 years for 4% to cover a year's expenses.

beeker 01-01-2006 10:28 AM

Re: The Retire Early Home Page
 
I may be on the wrong board....but I'm new to the forum. Can I download the FireCalc program to my computer so as to make changes and get results without being logged on to the web?

REWahoo 01-01-2006 10:38 AM

Re: The Retire Early Home Page
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beeker
I may be on the wrong board....but I'm new to the forum. Can I download the FireCalc program to my computer so as to make changes and get results without being logged on to the web?

I'm not aware of any way to download FIRECalc.


sgeeeee 01-01-2006 11:16 AM

Re: The Retire Early Home Page
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beeker
I may be on the wrong board....but I'm new to the forum. Can I download the FireCalc program to my computer so as to make changes and get results without being logged on to the web?

I don't know of any way to download FIRECALC, but you can download intrcst's Safe Withdrawal Calculator:

https://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/softlist.html

The Save Withdrawal Calculator is a spreadsheet based historical simulator. The data base and the methodology are nearly identical for the two programs. FIRECALC is more user friendly and has some nice features that the Safe Withdrawal Calculator does not have. But you can do some things (including customize the program) easier with the Safe Withdrawal Calculator. ;D

TomSimpsonAZ 01-13-2006 08:24 AM

Re: The Retire Early Home Page
 
They need to keep Bodi Miller and his parents off TV or I'll end up retired tomorrow. I don't need ideas like that.

cute fuzzy bunny 01-13-2006 08:41 AM

Re: The Retire Early Home Page
 
He posts here under the name "brewer123456". But he swears he's a 15 year old named 'michelle'.

larry 05-18-2006 12:07 PM

Re: The Retire Early Home Page
 
Why did retireearlyhomepage.com drop the dory36 message board from their front page? Just noticed it about 10 minutes ago.

BigMoneyJim 05-18-2006 01:25 PM

Re: The Retire Early Home Page
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by larry
Why did retireearlyhomepage.com drop the dory36 message board from their front page? Just noticed it about 10 minutes ago.

I don't know. It just happened a day or two ago, and I don't think anybody's heard why.

dory36 05-18-2006 01:35 PM

Re: The Retire Early Home Page
 
No way to download, but you can export a spreadsheet (with the formulas) as long as you don't use one of the alternate spending models (95% rule or Bernicke).

The spreadsheet isn't formatted to be pretty, but you can have something on your PC that will let you play around.

Nords 05-18-2006 01:41 PM

Re: The Retire Early Home Page
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
I don't know. It just happened a day or two ago, and I don't think anybody's heard why.

Are we talking here?* https://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/index.htm

Because the link to this board is there and it works...

Oooooh, I get it now:* https://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/

I see Dory's been booted to make room for a VA ad!

(Hey, Wab, we cross-posted. No, really!)

wabmester 05-18-2006 01:42 PM

Re: The Retire Early Home Page
 
Compare and contrast:

https://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/

BigMoneyJim 05-18-2006 01:47 PM

Re: The Retire Early Home Page
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nords
Are we talking here? https://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/index.htm

Because the link to this board is there and it works...

Oooooh, I get it now: https://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/

I see Dory's been booted to make room for a VA ad!

(Hey, Wab, we cross-posted. No, really!)

Ah, I see. There's and index.htm and an index.html, and it's defaulting to index.html when you use https://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/ . I don't know if eliminating the link here is an oversight or intentional, but the double index file is likely unintended. I'll ask about it.

wabmester 05-18-2006 01:50 PM

Re: The Retire Early Home Page
 
You can tell by the date of the "magazine volume" that the newer version is the one missing the link to this board.

Nords 05-18-2006 01:52 PM

Re: The Retire Early Home Page
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wab
You can tell by the date of the "magazine volume" that the newer version is the one missing the link to this board.

I bet Greaney doesn't even realize he has the old version of the magazine volume still popping up.

astromeria 05-19-2006 06:30 AM

Re: The Retire Early Home Page
 
I still see the Dory links on all the appropriate places on John Greaney's site (next to the VA ad), and they work...alternative universe?

BigMoneyJim 05-19-2006 07:58 AM

Re: The Retire Early Home Page
 
I PM'ed intercst about the double index without explicitly asking why or whether the link here was gone. When he fixed things our link was back.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.